Found Deceased Australia - Karen Ristevski, 47, Melbourne, Vic, 29 June 2016 - #16 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanx tmar we should find out some dates tomorrow.

It’s Showtime.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks Sleep, today he will appear via video link so I assuming he will stay in custody until the trial later this year. Is it too late now to request bail?

Also in that 9news link the reporter is expecting Karen’s friends and family to attend today.

Never too late to request bail. But I think it is a costly matter, because for murder it means a Supreme Court hearing generally.

https://www.9news.com.au/national/2...ki-in-court-for-commital-mention-karen-murder
Borce Ristevski needs legal aid for high profile lawyer
11:17am Apr 18, 2018

9News breaking news headlines

WATCH IT LIVE NOW
BANKING INQUIRY - ROYAL COMMISSION
NewsNational

Borce Ristevski to appear in court
1 / 20><
The husband of slain mum Karen Ristevksi has obtained legal aid funding for his high profile lawyer because of "complex financial issues", a court heard.

Mr Ristevski faced court this morning charged with killing his 47-year-old wife on June 29, 2016, the morning she went missing from the couple's Avondale Heights home.

The 53-year-old, who appeared via video link wearing a suit and glasses, was represented today by Sam Norton from Stary Norton.

The court heard there is a listening device and telephone intercept material for the defence to go through.

The lead investigator has made calls to seek availability of 80 witnesses to be called at committal and it could reach 100 in total.

The brief of evidence is a massive 22,000 pages. ...

https://www.9news.com.au/national/2...ki-in-court-for-commital-mention-karen-murder

9News breaking news headlines

WATCH IT LIVE NOW
BANKING INQUIRY - ROYAL COMMISSION
NewsNational

Borce Ristevski to appear in court
1 / 20><
The husband of slain mum Karen Ristevksi has obtained legal aid funding for his high profile lawyer because of "complex financial issues", a court heard.

Mr Ristevski faced court this morning charged with killing his 47-year-old wife on June 29, 2016, the morning she went missing from the couple's Avondale Heights home.

The 53-year-old, who appeared via video link wearing a suit and glasses, was represented today by Sam Norton from Stary Norton.

The court heard there is a listening device and telephone intercept material for the defence to go through.

The lead investigator has made calls to seek availability of 80 witnesses to be called at committal and it could reach 100 in total.

The brief of evidence is a massive 22,000 pages. ...

Amazing ... complex financial issues.

Not having any financial difficulties, so Borce said.

It is going to be so very interesting to hear about this. We already know that it all seemed very muddy and murky. But it sounds as if this is going to be the underlying motive for Karen's murder.

He will return to court on May 16 for a second committal mention.

Mr Ristevski&#8217;s lawyer, Sam Norton, said his team had been granted legal aid funding on Tuesday but needed more time to read through the Crown&#8217;s case.

The 22,000 pages of evidence includes witness statements, transcripts of telephone recordings and listening device material.

&#8220;There&#8217;s a range of different topics, this isn&#8217;t a straightforward brief, setting aside the sheer scale of it,&#8221; Mr Norton said.

He said examining CCTV will in itself &#8220;take a lot of time&#8221;............

"There is one particular witness who talks about tracking a particular vehicle. ...

"On top of that, we have the listening device material and the telephone intercept material."

http://www.news.com.au/national/vic...r/news-story/b1090add808106c01826f3a97c4d940b

Defence lawyer Sam Norton told the court legal aid had only yesterday agreed to fund Mr Ristevski's defence.
He said Mr Ristevski's financial circumstances were "complex" and took legal aid some time to work through..............

Police used listening devices and phone intercepts before charging Borce Ristevski with the murder of his wife Karen, a Melbourne court has been told....

Mr Ristevski is set to face a committal hearing in July which has been scheduled to run for four weeks.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-04-...s-in-court-over-karen-ristevski-death/9670306

So the house?
Wonder what is happening with that - in as far as ownership.
Wouldn't Karen's and Borce's finances be intertwined?

Defence lawyer Sam Norton told the court legal aid had only yesterday agreed to fund Mr Ristevski's defence.
He said Mr Ristevski's financial circumstances were "complex" and took legal aid some time to work through..............

Police used listening devices and phone intercepts before charging Borce Ristevski with the murder of his wife Karen, a Melbourne court has been told....

Mr Ristevski is set to face a committal hearing in July which has been scheduled to run for four weeks.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-04-...s-in-court-over-karen-ristevski-death/9670306

So the house?

According to this link, he can have up to $500,000 equity in the house and still be eligible for Legal Aid.

https://www.legalaid.vic.gov.au/abo...gible-for-legal-aid-under-extended-means-test

The means test seems to be judged on many varying factors,hard to actually tell exactly what they are.

I just hate it that Legal Aid has been granted when Borce has assets... . it 's so wrong. However.. on the bright side, it may well be that Legal Aid money is all used up to go thru all the bumf and all the CCTV and all the bank statements and at the end of that, Borce changes his plea... that's not an uncommon event.

It also underlines that Stary was useless and hopeless. Obviously , not a lot of work put in by Stary, so much for topline legal reps. They don't move a muscle without a blank cheque up front, so it begins today, the investigatory part of the defence performance.

So now it's up to a sort of committee of legal reps, paid by the Vic taxpayer ( legal aid is State, not Federal money) to wade their way thru the deep swamp of Borce's papertrail of life as he once lived it..

what a job, ey? .. who'd take that on.

What I didn't find out today, is, has jury selection begun ?... I kind of think not, it is entirely possible that once the Legal Aid money has evaporated , as it very well may do , considering the scale of the work to be done, Borce may be left with a guilty plea anyways..

the rotten sod.

So the house?

Wasn't the house in Karen's name, in its entirety? As Karen's alleged murderer I don't think that he has any claim on the house, no matter what her will (if she had one) may or may not have said.

I am pretty sure that a murderer cannot benefit from the result of their crime.

FYI
https://www.theage.com.au/national/...e-of-karen-murder-charge-20180418-p4zaaf.html
Mr Norton said he needed more time to examine the brief of evidence…
Prosecutors did not oppose Mr Norton's request. Magistrate Suzanne Cameron granted the extension.
Mr Ristevski was remanded in custody to appear before court on May 16, when the magistrate and lawyers finalise the number of witnesses to be called at the committal hearing scheduled to start on July 2.

Wasn't the house in Karen's name, in its entirety? As Karen's alleged murderer I don't think that he has any claim on the house, no matter what her will (if she had one) may or may not have said.

I think you are right SA.
But if they had joint debt or if Karen had any personal debt. Can anyone collect the house and the debt be left owing?
Looking forward to hearing more about those complex financials.

Yeah sounds as though Borce's assets are as grim as his current weekly allowance ...all in the red.
imo

I think you are right SA.
But if they had joint debt or if Karen had any personal debt. Can anyone collect the house and the debt be left owing?
Looking forward to hearing more about those complex financials.

Yeah sounds as though Borce's assets are as grim as his current weekly allowance ...all in the red.
imo

Well, he also took over from Karen's company directorship. With the house in Karen's name only, this seems like a dodge, to me ... to keep assets within the family and limit personal liability.

Sometimes companies are formed/used to limit a person's liability.

If he hadn't been sprung for Karen's murder, he likely could have ended up with the house and any other assets Karen may have personally had (inheritance money? jewelery, car, insurance).

"A company is a separate legal entity, unlike a sole trader or a partnership structure. This means the company has the same rights as a natural person and can incur debt, sue and be sued. The company's owners (the shareholders) can limit their personal liability and are generally not liable for company debts."
https://www.business.gov.au/info/pl...ructure/business-structures-and-types/company

I just hate it that Legal Aid has been granted when Borce has assets... . it 's so wrong. However.. on the bright side, it may well be that Legal Aid money is all used up to go thru all the bumf and all the CCTV and all the bank statements and at the end of that, Borce changes his plea... that's not an uncommon event.

It also underlines that Stary was useless and hopeless. Obviously , not a lot of work put in by Stary, so much for topline legal reps. They don't move a muscle without a blank cheque up front, so it begins today, the investigatory part of the defence performance.

So now it's up to a sort of committee of legal reps, paid by the Vic taxpayer ( legal aid is State, not Federal money) to wade their way thru the deep swamp of Borce's papertrail of life as he once lived it..

what a job, ey? .. who'd take that on.

What I didn't find out today, is, has jury selection begun ?... I kind of think not, it is entirely possible that once the Legal Aid money has evaporated , as it very well may do , considering the scale of the work to be done, Borce may be left with a guilty plea anyways..

the rotten sod.

He is still using the Stary firm. Sam Norton js a lawyer from that firm, so tax payers are paying for him to have a high profile lawyer which is a joke.

He is still using the Stary firm. Sam Norton js a lawyer from that firm, so tax payers are paying for him to have a high profile lawyer which is a joke.

It is a joke ... but I recall in one of the cases we were following in the past (perhaps Simon Gittany) we discovered that it can hurt a trial's result if a defendant can't afford a good lawyer and a good one is not appointed for him in a murder trial.
Something about discrimination iirc.

BRILLIANT !
So if he schemed the transfer or if it was Karen’s idea, brilliant I say.
SA you’ve made me a happy chappy.
Does that make Sarah the next beneficiary?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member