Australia Australia - Leisl Smith, 23, Wallarah, NSW, 19 Aug 2012 *arrest in 2019, died during trial*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Oller, can you elaborate on what you mean here? Like ozazure I'm not too sure why being pregnant would alone be reason to take off. I can understand it might be seen as shameful in certain cultures / religions but it's pretty common these days. Can you clarify this point a little?

Sure. I am a few years older than Leisl, and am not married, but am living with a significant other. I come from a family, as does my SO, that if we were to conceive a baby before marriage, we can count on being disowned. We do not come from devoutly religious families, but we are both first borns, and held to a different standard than our siblings. I actually have a sister with a baby out of wedlock, and my SO had a shotgun wedding to conceal the fact he knocked his SO up... Even so, we know we would be in huge trouble because more is expected of us.

So that is what I meant... I know I would need to go away for awhile to resolve the issue in some capacity so that our families didn't find out. Does that help a bit?

Sure. I am a few years older than Leisl, and am not married, but am living with a significant other. I come from a family, as does my SO, that if we were to conceive a baby before marriage, we can count on being disowned. We do not come from devoutly religious families, but we are both first borns, and held to a different standard than our siblings. I actually have a sister with a baby out of wedlock, and my SO had a shotgun wedding to conceal the fact he knocked his SO up... Even so, we know we would be in huge trouble because more is expected of us.

So that is what I meant... I know I would need to go away for awhile to resolve the issue in some capacity so that our families didn't find out. Does that help a bit?

Oller, thank you for sharing that, I hadn't really considered that side of things. I suppose a lot can depend on what kinds of expectations and pressures are placed on us by family and community. Which leads me to wonder if traditionalist values are more a country thing?

On a side note I'm still not convinced that abandoning her car and deliberately disappearing makes much sense though, if this was just about issues related to pregnancy. What I mean is, if she was worried about the reaction of community or family to a pregnancy, would she really rather people were instead worrying that something sinister may have happened to her? Doesn't make much sense.

Not entirely convinced the secret she referred to in her first message was necessarily about pregnancy either. I read something about the prime POI on another crime site and he sounds like he may be a somewhat dodgy character. Clearly the police believe that to be the case also with the level of scrutiny he's received.

<modsnip>.

It does, thankyou Oller.
I then wonder if there had been some pressure on Leisl - to either keep the baby, or not to. She may have left her car at the station innocently to decoy where she was going - it may have been possibly she had a plan in mind - I cant rule out that she then (if the pregnancy is true) possibly might have been planning a medical intervention. If that was not the case and she wanted to keep her baby but not let anyone know - that's a reason too. But possibly the other person did or did not like Leisl's decision. Purely speculation, but it may mean a motive either way for someone else to lure her under a false sense of trust and security into thinking they were helping her do what she wanted, but really they only had their own thoughts of what they wanted done about the situation.
I wonder if the police have checked clinics, or she had an appointment she didn't turn up to. Problem with that is she may not have given a correct name or it maybe a private practitioner. Maybe someone not turning up didn't ring any bells for anyone.

This is just my opinion and I hope it is not disrespectful to anyone - its just a thought, as I think she trusted someone and they let her down - grossly.

Just had a thought- if she was trying to keep a pregnancy quiet, perhaps the second text message may have been in response to somebody threatening to out her - or telling her that they had already done so.

Can anyone shed any light on why she would leave her car at the station? Without any inside info, these are the types of things I've come up with:
-wanted to leave the car somewhere 'safe' and she has run away/in hiding
-leaving the car there for someone else to collect
-leaving the car there to be stolen (insurance claim?) at the request of someone else or by her own choosing
-intended to come back and get it after doing something else but never made it back.

A couple of questions I have:
-were the keys in the ignition or in the car
-did she give the keys to someone else or are they missing
-was she seen on any other CCTV footage from that day
-did anyone else speak to her since she is seen in the car park
-had she confided in anyone about any struggles she was having with BF or someone else
-are there crimes (organised or petty) that have since come to light in the local area (I know some have indicated of some dodginess surrounding people Leisl knew).

Don't mean to offend Leisl's family with any of my questions - I really am just brainstorming things that have crossed my mind.

I truly hope you find the answers you are searching for - it must be heartbreaking for all of you.

Strangeworld, some answers off the top of my head. Think you might find a few answers earlier in thread to some of your questions.

''Can anyone shed any light on why she would leave her car at the station?'' (maybe she was meeting someone who was going to drive them both somewhere in another vehicle and she planned to catch train back later in day (or in a few days)- though it was reported Leisl had told her dad she would be home later that day to feed the animals from memory)

-''were the keys in the ignition or in the car'' (reports stated she locked car and walked away- assume she locked it from outside and would have had keys with her, but only police would know)

-''did she give the keys to someone else or are they missing'' (nothing reported)

-''was she seen on any other CCTV footage from that day'' (I think she was seen in alone in cctv from a nearby department store in hours after station car park- think this was discussed earlier in thread)

-''did anyone else speak to her since she is seen in the car park'' (unknown)

-''had she confided in anyone about any struggles she was having with BF or someone else'' (unknown)

-''are there crimes organised or petty that have since come to light in the local area'' (unknown, nothing reported in MSM in regards to this case.)

Thanks Hal. I couldn't remember what was reported earlier in the thread (following way too many cases at the moment!).

There certainly are a lot of details that are unknown right now. I guess the family are privy to more than is given in MSM. Makes it hard to sleuth with so little to discuss.

Guess it will just be a waiting game to see what move the police make next. Hope Leisl's family are hanging in there.

Hi All,

Firstly can I say that Leisl WAS pregnant, but miscarried just before she went missing. Also, she isn't the eldest, she is actually in the middle (lucky me is the eldest) and when Storm found out she was pregnant the first time, he was rather supportive of Leisl with whatever she chose to do. She wouldn't have been ashamed to tell Storm, or the rest of our family.

Secondly, we are privy to a few other things, that as you know, I can't share here. I can reiterate what we did see on CCTV.
She locked the car and left. To the best of my knowledge, the keys have not been recovered or found.
She has not used her bank accounts, phone, FB or anything else for more than 6 months. We are at our wits end and as you can imagine, are more than a little frustrated, especially when media (such as newspapers) either can't spell her name properly (proof reading anyone?) or get their facts wrong without bothering to check with us... I wont mention specifics but it does add to the stress that we are already under.

I understand that the police cannot tell us certain things for fear of comprising evidence and what not. What don't understand is the treatment we received ( can only speak for myself and my dad), the speculation that we as a grieving family cannot see the forest for the trees (I am at a loss for this, but anyway...) and all the rumours and what not that are flying about with regards to our family.

I am not accusing anyone, but please do bear in mind, that unless you know our family personally and for an extended period of time, it is highly likely that half of what you have heard is probably untrue and I would ask that unless it's been verified by me (either posting here or in PM to you personally) then please don't repeat.

Leisl to our knowledge was not seeing anyone. We believe that the POI does have information. Whether that relates to what happened to her and where she is or that they had a direct involvement with regards to foul play we don't know. They are currently just our suspicions and nothing else. This doesn't mean the person is guilty.

Sorry if I am blunt, but as you can imagine, it's very frustrating and emotionally exhausting. I'm also currently in the middle of night shift, so please excuse any errors.

Hope you are all well.
J x

eccsci - thankyou for taking the time to post and set right all the points you made with such composure, dignity and clarity.
Sending you strength, one day at a time.

Thanks eccsi for clarifying. I really hope there is a breakthrough soon.

Hi All,

Firstly can I say that Leisl WAS pregnant, but miscarried just before she went missing. Also, she isn't the eldest, she is actually in the middle (lucky me is the eldest) and when Storm found out she was pregnant the first time,

J x

Am I reading into this, or was she possibly pregnant again?

Thanks for sharing, I hope you find Leisl soon

Heya,

As far as we know, she wasn't pregnant when she went missing.

J

Heya,

As far as we know, she wasn't pregnant when she went missing.

J

Thank you for posting here. My brother died recently at a young age and the whole experience was awful. My thoughts are with you.

You have written about your feelings about the police not being empathetic considering the situation. I hope you find comfort from a volunteer group that works with the police when a suicide happens at home. They acknowledge the family has found the deceased and have to leave as their home is now a crime scene. It was a detailed podcast on Conversations with Richard Fidler on the ABC.0

Just thinking that in this age of budget cuts and caring people we can focus on helping.

Kind thoughts and regards,

Flinders

Thank you for posting here. My brother died recently at a young age and the whole experience was awful. My thoughts are with you.

You have written about your feelings about the police not being empathetic considering the situation. I hope you find comfort from a volunteer group that works with the police when a suicide happens at home. They acknowledge the family has found the deceased and have to leave as their home is now a crime scene. It was a detailed podcast on Conversations with Richard Fidler on the ABC.0

Just thinking that in this age of budget cuts and caring people we can focus on helping.

Kind thoughts and regards,

Flinders

Hi Flinders

Have I missed something? I don't think that Leisl has been found, let alone in her home and by suicide?

I think we all missed it

Oh Come on ... all he/she was saying was about the 'grief' that would infect us all over someone missing , or, demising .....

and the 'volunteers' that may be able to help under such circumstances ....

In My Opinion.

Oh Come on ... all he/she was saying was about the 'grief' that would infect us all over someone missing , or, demising .....

and the 'volunteers' that may be able to help under such circumstances ....

In My Opinion.

NO you come on - IMO what was said and is quoted below does not say that - it infers that Leisl commited suicide and also infers that it happened within the home and the home is now a crime scene.

I think we all missed it

I have to say, I don't think I missed anything. I read it as "Flinders" offering up some positive encouragement. It is hard when you are trusting the authorities with EVERYTHING!! You feel powerless and it really does help to share with others that have experience with these intensely emotional matters as the actual police / Detectives have to remain stoic - feel some comfort that in knowing they are behaving in a stone cold way means that they are doing their job.
You have to be willing to seek help and understanding and the emotional protective personal side probably won't come from the police but they will point you in the direction of organisations that will be helpful.

I do feel for Leisl's family. I don't have any opinions as to what has happened and I believe the police are going to bring the answers to the surface in good time.

Kindest Regards

Imperial Knight

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member