Australia - Luke Batty, 11, killed by dad at Tyabb sports oval, 12 Feb 2014

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
He would not comment on what else police saw at the scene, but said that the incident was "complicated" and involved other locations.

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/boy-dead-police-shoot-father-in-tyabb-20140212-32iff.html

I can't go into the specifics and what culminated to cause the death of the young man or even the events leading up to the shooting of the father," he said.

"I can say the homicide squad are here, taking primacy of the investigation."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-02-13/tyabb-boy-dead-father-shot-by-police/5256444

It sounds as though police have a very good idea of what happened prior to the incident. I wonder what would make a father crazily chase/track their own son down and kill him so violently?

I, too, think it is disgusting that no-one tried to intervene - if that is what happened. You would think that at least several adults present would have run over to the scene and tried to stop the violence ... though maybe they did and we just haven't heard about that. Maybe they were afraid to physically tackle the father with a knife being waved around.

Poor lad. This is horrific. :(

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/boy-dead-police-shoot-father-in-tyabb-20140212-32iff.html

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-02-13/tyabb-boy-dead-father-shot-by-police/5256444

It sounds as though police have a very good idea of what happened prior to the incident. I wonder what would make a father crazily chase/track their own son down and kill him so violently?

I, too, think it is disgusting that no-one tried to intervene - if that is what happened. You would think that at least several adults present would have run over to the scene and tried to stop the violence ... though maybe they did and we just haven't heard about that. Maybe they were afraid to physically tackle the father with a knife being waved around.

Poor lad. This is horrific. :(
I am just about to run to work but I think someone mentioned fire lighting last night on this forum.

I knew this one had to stem from some kind of hideous domestic situation .. goddammit, trying not to be angry, but it's so sickening .. I'm sick to death of male violence.

Poor mum... Found her on FB (not hard once the boy was named - last night on Twitter - his RIP page sprung up, comments therein addressing mum by name... anonymity's a thing of the past these days, esp with SM).

Profile pic is a beautiful photo of her and her son... worried he was an only child; kinda hoping he has siblings so they can all comfort each other.

(I always trawl FB after people are named in cases like this, not sure why... always feel compelled to see them... would never contact them of course).

So much heartbreak lately... I do think though that the media is reporting much more of it now than they ever have (criminologists and other experts all claim that violent crimes are DOWN compared to past decades, but I think nowadays every single incident gets reported so widely)... can't be good for everyone's state of mind. Michael Moore placed blame squarely on the media in Bowling for Columbine (Canada has more guns per capita than US, Japan has more violent media, etc, but US media's morbid focus on violent crime is, he alleged, putting everyone on edge, gun owners getting hair triggers etc).

Maybe a domestic. My heart weeps for the Mum and the family. Imagine the horror for the other kids and parents there too.

Marg, re your earlier comment, if it makes you feel a bit better, from experience of close family, most coppers fully understand and agree with the need for internal investigation when there's been a police shooting.
They understand that they have to be, and be seen to be, righteous. Usually they are also offered counselling and of course have the support of the police community. However they still have to deal with it and those involved in this incident will be devastated. It will also affect their own families when they get off their shift tonight, and I have no doubt those of them with kids of their own will go and hug them tight when they get home.

So sad, whatever the circumstances.

Yes, Tishy. Our police have a lot to cope with in their line of work. It is good that stress understood more these days and counselling offered. However it is the wife/husband at home that supports the officer the most. Unsung heros.

RIP Luke. Your death is unfathomable. Wrapping your Mummy in love to get her through this. I am so sorry your Dad did this to you. :(

I knew this one had to stem from some kind of hideous domestic situation .. goddammit, trying not to be angry, but it's so sickening .. I'm sick to death of male violence.

Mrs G, I feel the same. Why is the majority of these incidences are men who kill their children or wives during domestics. Is it, I'll teach her by taking the most important thing or if I can't have you nobody else will?

No Mrs G I don't get it either :banghead:

I woke to this horrific news this morning, it's so heartbreaking and unfathomable :(
RIP Luke and my thoughts and prayers are with your mum!

Jesus. I don't know who is sicker-a guy who beats his son to death or someone who does nothing to help the boy but instead films the attack.

Its been so hot here.

Not saying its an excuse, but the heat makes some people go crazy. Add in alcohol and some other factors, like domestic violence or mental illness, and you've got a powder keg just waiting to blow.

RIP Luke he cant hurt you or anyone else, anymore. xxxx

Heat is no excuse at all-the fact that a father would beat his son to death is totally inexcusable, & also sickening. Mental illness as an excuse only goes so far.

From the article I just read, I don't think anyone stood a chance of stopping him. The poor boy was down from the first assault and he planned it, he separated him and he was prepared for what he was going to do. This wasn't a rage turned murder, I don't think he started shouting and threatening, he just just did it from the reports.

As much as I would protect any child if I could, and have flown into the dark street when I heard screams despite being short and fat and unfit - my kids need a mother and I cannot subdue a madman coming at me with a knife. If the police couldn't get him with capscium foam and had to shoot, the people there couldn't do anything without potentially dying either. And I think poor Luke was murdered very quickly. As callous as filming may seem, it is the perhaps the only safe and useful thing to do once the authorities have been called. If he had survived that would be evidence for the courts.

I am so upset by this. I wish there was a way to protect people from the madness amongst us.

The father who bashed his 11-year-old son to death with a cricket bat at Tyabb before being fatally shot by police had a history of family violence and was the subject of an intervention order to keep away from the family home.

The interim police investigation indicates the man had a premeditated plan to kill his son and then commit "suicide by cop".

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/f...cide-by-cop-20140213-32juf.html#ixzz2tAgH8u1K

What an incredibly strong woman Rosie is to be able to talk so openly and eloquently to the media so soon. If that were me I doubt I'd be capable of forming a sentence at all. I hope she has plenty of support.

So awful. Poor mother was just trying to do the right thing. Sad that some males are so vindictive and wanting revenge so much that they will kill their own child. How a human can hate an ex more than they treasure their child's life I will never understand.

R.i.p Luke x

5pm Ten eyewitness news: Luke was an only child. Looks like it was premeditated. Dad was bowling to him, they were having a great time when he attacked. Mum Rosie encouraged Luke to keep in contact with Dad Greg even though dad had a history of violence. She obviously is torn to pieces about this. She was incredibly brave and strong to give that interview and a beautiful tribute to her son. She shared photos of him at her birthday party last Sunday, and a video of him 'presenting' the news for homework.

Sending prayers and thoughts to her tonight.

Sorry for the triple post above (not sure how to delete)

An only child....That just breaks my heart to hear:*(
Poor mother. Life can be too cruel sometimes

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vinzstel