Australia Australia - Lynette Dawson, 34, Sydney, Jan 1982 *Arrest* #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Chris Dawson denied bail after being charged with former wife's murder
"One of Mr Dawson's former students, Stacey Colgan, sat in the public gallery of the courtroom to support him."

"Earlier in the day she posted a message on Facebook to the St Ursula's and St Brendan's school community saying she would be coming to court to show her support for "Dawso and his family".
I don’t recall seeing her name before now although I may have. Someone wanting their 15 minutes of fame?

Gee.. I reckon the NSW cops will want him a bit closer to Sydney.... like, within spitting distance.

And Paul would be a witness, too.. be a bit radical to have the accused on bail living with a witness in a murder trial!... still.. strange things happen!
I can't imagine it happening either, but that is what Chris wants.

"Outside court, Mr Walsh said he had been given "a huge amount of material" by Mr Dawson's brother, who is a solicitor.

"I worked most of the night and today to try and read as much as I can, but it's a very important application for bail," he said.

"It has to be prepared properly. I want to assist the court in doing it properly — there's no need in rushing these cases like this.""

Chris Dawson denied bail after being charged with former wife's murder

I suspect that evidence for the defence has been gathered for the last 36 years.

The police on the other hand haven't been investigating that long.

Plenty of billable hours, who’s bankrolling this lawyer?
BBM

IMO there are potentially only a few things which Chris' solicitor can present in his defence but you may know more.

1. No body to prove Lyn is dead. But if there is strong circumstantial evidence, others have been found guilty when the body has not been found.

2. Two witnesses who have since died who claimed to have seen Lyn - one of whom two of her family members claimed that one of the women wanted her five minutes of fame. Not sure about the other one. The problem when the witnesses have died is that they cannot be cross-examined in a trial.

3. There were two transactions made with Lyn's bankcard after she supposedly disappeared. Surely, Chris Dawson could have made these transactions himself. I had not heard of this before. Have you?

Perhaps others could verify these points if they have heard the Teacher's Pet podcasts more recently than I have. But the last two were mentioned by Chris' lawyer in the interview today.

Outside the court today, Mr Dawson’s lawyer Greg Walsh told reporters there was evidence that Ms Dawson “was observed by a number of people” after her 1982 disappearance. “Unfortunately two of those people are deceased,” he said.

“One of the witnesses who died, her daughter gave evidence at the second inquest, and she said that ‘my mother told me (and) if she was here today, she’d say she saw Lyn Dawson after her disappearance’.

“Another witness also gave evidence to that effect.”

Mr Walsh today told reporters there was also evidence of “two very important bank card transactions (made) two or three weeks after her disappearance”.

He said the alleged transactions were never investigated by police and that they “should have conducted a proper investigation at the time”.

“(That) would have indicated that probably she was alive,” he said.

“While it seems most unusual that a lady, with the greatest respect of Lyn Dawson, would disappear and not have any contact with her children … it has happened.”

Mr Walsh said he was aware of another case where a woman disappeared for 60 years and her daughter only found out she had gone to New Zealand, married and had a family after she died in 2002.

‘She saw Lyn’: Lawyer’s shock claim

It appears that this is all the defence has to support their case.

IMO there are potentially only a few things which Chris' solicitor can present in his defence but you may know more.

1. No body to prove Lyn is dead. But if there is strong circumstantial evidence, others have been found guilty when the body has not been found.

2. Two witnesses who have since died who claimed to have seen Lyn - one of whom two of her family members claimed that one of the women wanted her five minutes of fame. Not sure about the other one. The problem when the witnesses have died is that they cannot be cross-examined in a trial.

3. There were two transactions made with Lyn's bankcard after she supposedly disappeared. Surely, Chris Dawson could have made these transactions himself. I had not heard of this before. Have you?

Perhaps others could verify these points if they have heard the Teacher's Pet podcasts more recently than I have. But the last two were mentioned by Chris' lawyer in the interview today.

Outside the court today, Mr Dawson’s lawyer Greg Walsh told reporters there was evidence that Ms Dawson “was observed by a number of people” after her 1982 disappearance. “Unfortunately two of those people are deceased,” he said.

“One of the witnesses who died, her daughter gave evidence at the second inquest, and she said that ‘my mother told me (and) if she was here today, she’d say she saw Lyn Dawson after her disappearance’.

“Another witness also gave evidence to that effect.”

Mr Walsh today told reporters there was also evidence of “two very important bank card transactions (made) two or three weeks after her disappearance”.

He said the alleged transactions were never investigated by police and that they “should have conducted a proper investigation at the time”.

“(That) would have indicated that probably she was alive,” he said.

“While it seems most unusual that a lady, with the greatest respect of Lyn Dawson, would disappear and not have any contact with her children … it has happened.”

Mr Walsh said he was aware of another case where a woman disappeared for 60 years and her daughter only found out she had gone to New Zealand, married and had a family after she died in 2002.

‘She saw Lyn’: Lawyer’s shock claim

It appears that this is all the defence has to support their case.
I recall one of the transactions being at a "Katies" clothing store, but don't recall a second purchase. Doesn't prove it was Lyn though.

What is the rule of law when the two witnesses to the supposed sightings of Lyn Dawson have died? Greg Walsh seems to think that these sightings will be accepted by the court because these witnesses told others about their sightings. Surely that would be considered hearsay?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jdogcatfish