Australia Australia - Lynette Dawson, 34, Sydney, Jan 1982 *Arrest*

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are so many horrible co-incidences in these cases that I am following... Kelli Lane and the Fictitious Norris,... Trudie and a bloke called Norris... Trudie and the two blokes dressed up as coppers, Chris and Paul Dawson dressed up as coppers. The Insular Peninsular...

and the usual, women being murdered.. that, of course is the constant, but there is nothing unusual in that.....

There are so many horrible co-incidences in these cases that I am following... Kelli Lane and the Fictitious Norris,... Trudie and a bloke called Norris... Trudie and the two blokes dressed up as coppers, Chris and Paul Dawson dressed up as coppers. The Insular Peninsular...

and the usual, women being murdered.. that, of course is the constant, but there is nothing unusual in that.....

Sickening, isn’t it Troop?

And investigate the case 20+ years later and wonder why they can't solve the case?

and always, lurking in the background, a bent copper, or two. Or three....

And incredibly, a certain sort of apathy, lethargy.. an inexplicable slowness to be interested, much less investigate.. Lane, for eg. it took quite a bit of pushing and shoving to get that show on the road.. Lynn's, well. .. It's hardly 'on the road' even now.

its another story throwing shade at the author (jealousy maybe?) for the wording....of some of his points...references and accusations.
again turning the story away from what it is.
it made me a tad angry.

you cant please everyone.

is she really gunna pull hairs over the name of a investigative documentary after all...without hedleys body of work there would be no taskforce Southwood investigating the whole sorry saga of sexual abuse of children on the northern beaches!

whats more important here really???
the use of term the teachers pet (which any adult can figuratively fathom doesn't mean kindergarten stuff :confused:)
or highlighting and bringing to the forefront a pandora's box of crime exposure now under investigation.

paleeeeeeeeease :eek::eek:

joanne was imo well represented by Hedley.
most people comprehend ultimately she was a victim in a complex web of love,control and passion that she was also a free participant.
joanne owns her own behaviour and actions, wants to right the wrongs and she is.

cant see the beat up from gemma.
all the right things are happening??

jmo

no one including joanne at the time considered her a 'victim".
she enjoyed being chris's girlfriend and flaunting it in school.
all the kids thought it cool.o_O

so its unfair to criticise a person for interpreting a situation for how it was interpreted at the time and presenting it as so.

the general consensus among the teens was there was no problem.its just the way it was. right or wrong.
confusion and distaste came later.

jmo

I am just finishing a book called 'Blood Brother' by Robin Bowles about the stabbing murder of a mother, father and brother, that left only one son alive. The initial finding was the dead son stabbed the mother and father and the other son then stabbed him.

An uncle wasn't comfortable with the finding and battled the DDP for about 15 years before one Nicholas Cowdery finally relented and allowed a case to proceed against the still living brother......and he was eventually found guilty.

I am just finishing a book called 'Blood Brother' by Robin Bowles about the stabbing murder of a mother, father and brother, that left only one son alive. The initial finding was the dead son stabbed the mother and father and the other son then stabbed him.

An uncle wasn't comfortable with the finding and battled the DDP for about 15 years before one Nicholas Cowdery finally relented and allowed a case to proceed against the still living brother......and he was eventually found guilty.
and then, he was found to be not guilty, he now resides as inheritor of the entire family estate. Which was only a suburban home, but .. there it is....

Gilham v R [2012] NSWCCA 131 (25 June 2012)

1. Appeal upheld.

2. Convictions quashed.

3. Verdicts of acquittal entered on both counts

Last edited:
and then, he was found to be not guilty, he now resides as inheritor of the entire family estate. Which was only a suburban home, but .. there it is....

Gilham v R [2012] NSWCCA 131 (25 June 2012)

1. Appeal upheld.

2. Convictions quashed.

3. Verdicts of acquittal entered on both counts

Thanks for spoiling the last chapter of the book for me.

Only kidding. But I haven't quite finished the book.

Attachments

• Hedley CQ awards.GIF
    Hedley CQ awards.GIF
    40.1 KB · Views: 5
Hedley Thomas Says Teacher's Pet Is A “Black Story About Misogyny, But I Believe There Will Be Justice”

Hedley Thomas Accepts Outstanding Journalism Recognition At GQ Awards 2018

There is a couple of minute video of Hedley accepting his award.

His brother in law Paul Whittaker was the editor of the Australian at the time Hedley started the podcast who wrote the puff piece on the twins at Coombabah School. The date on the article seems to be 1989 before any serious investigations were done into Lyn Dawson's death.

View attachment 142325
I wonder how many of these students have stories to tell.

Nocookies

Australia - Australia - Lynette Dawson, 34, Sydney, Jan 1982

A Melbourne University article about the podcast. An interesting perspective.

A teacher’s pet or a victim of sexual abuse? | Pursuit by The University of Melbourne

"Suggesting 16-year-old Joanne had any agency in Chris Dawson’s exploitation of her is profoundly dangerous and risks recreating the victim-blaming culture that the Royal Commission worked so hard to undo.

By today’s standard, even after Joanne Curtis turned 17, we would understand her to be a victim of sexual exploitation and to require a therapeutic response. Sexual abuse and exploitation can skew children’s emerging sexualities so that they think the exploitation is normal. This may be what happened to Joanne Curtis as she moved into early adulthood and was pressured by Chris Dawson to marry him."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
btrueclover