Australia Australia - Marion Barter, 51, missing after trip to UK, Jun 1997 #3

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The name Florabella....It's probably nothing, but I was wondering where Marion would have come across the name Florabella, which is Italian and so uncommon anywhere else that no-one in this story had ever come across it before they heard it in connection with Marion's disappearance. I started to wonder if perhaps there could be clues in the names she chose for herself. Not clues in the sense that she left them there for people to find, but clues in the sense of psychologically why would she choose this or that name, what personal significance might it have had, was it the name of a character in the arts or literature that had some meaning? So I did some digging and found some literary references, there was an operetta called Florabella, there are several flower and accessory companies using variations of that name, but nothing seemed relevant. Then, I came across a reprint (courtesy of Gutenberg) of a serialized detective story that ran from the late 30s to the early 1940s, called "Saul and the Spinster" by one Aiden de Brune, a very interesting journalist and author, who was apparently the first person to ever complete the perimeter of Australia on foot. I realize that this would have come out a few years before Marion's birth, however, especially in the past, magazines and journals were often kept for years in home libraries. I know that when I was growing up in the 1970s in the UK, I had access to magazines, comics, and journals, going back to the 1950s from both of my parents. Anyway, the story is a detective crime novel which features a girl who mysteriously disappears, money being hidden in ingenious places for smuggling, and a female protagonist who owns a fashion boutique in Sydney called, you guessed it, Florabella! This was so weird to find, because I did not even have "Australia" in my search string and yet found this Australian detective story, while searching for Florabella. Even weirder, the story specifically involves the New South Wales police. Here is the link. I have not read every single word of the story, just skimmed it enough to extract some details, but I invite anyone who thinks there may be something in this, to take a peek for themselves: Saul and the Spinster

I guess my point is that when people do things like re-invent themselves, re-name themselves and so on, they often have a lot of symbolic attachments to the new labels they choose for themselves. So, I realize there's someone on here who said their friend changed their name from one mundane thing to another and they think that's the norm, but that person is also talking about people who presumably didn't then go vanishing off on a long vacation but merely kept living their normal lives, just as Tom instead of Harry or whatever. This is different. This is a person re-fashioning themselves. I've known people like this and they don't change their name from Tom to Harry, they change it from Tom to Sebastian or Aloyisus or something exotic like that.

Remember the story "Into the Wild" about the idealistic back-to-nature kid who ended up starving to death in Alaska (Christopher McCandless)? Well, remember that he changed his name to Alexander Supertramp while he was out on the road? The reason he did this was because it meant something to him. It was an obscure reference to the author and traveler W.H. Davies, who had written a 1908 book about his hobo-ing around called "The Autobiography of a Super-Tramp". (I don't know what the Alexander was about.) Knowing the origin of the name he chose for himself gives huge insights into the fate that befell him.

The family and investigators in this case have taken the approach that the name Remekal was chosen because of the Lonelyhearts ad and have given no theory as to why she chose the other two forenames. I think this deserves a little more creative thought. I don't think Marion blindfolded herself and stuck a pin in a book of names. I think she chose this temporary fake name (she could not have intended to keep it, it was a transition name) for a meaningful reason and not just as a random act. I could be wrong and she could have done exactly that, which would be super-clever if you don't want to get found. But I think it is far more likely that every one of the four names she chose as her alias have significance. Of course, one of them is her own, Marion, so the significance there is clear. Everyone's been hung up on Remekal but Florabella and Natalia have to have meant something to her as well. Is there something in this old detective novel that relates to or parallels the issues Marion was facing and what she planned to do about it? Dunno....check it out.....

Not sure the reason for the aggressive post and use of swear words, but never mind. I'm sorry if I somehow offended you. You did state however, and I quote "by what strange logic does one end up hanging out in bloody Tunbridge Wells! I mean, no offense (sic) to Kent (I was born there) but it's not exactly got the Taj Mahal! It's quite middle-class boring suburban". My family have lived in the county for over 6 generations so that's quite a damning representation of a beautiful (for the most part) and historic county.

Tunbridge Wells has the Pantiles a very popular tourist spot often frequented by ladies of a certain age and is on the main train line from London to Hastings including stops at Tonbridge. Until Marion supposedly used a hire car travelling by train was probably her best option.

I don't believe Marion ever intended to go missing. As has been mentioned before why send various letters and postcards to her family back in Australia, and also make that phone call? I think Marion (although wary) was oblivious to what was coming next.

This whole case has manipulation written all over it. Sally openly admits her mother was very gullible. Would a conman be stupid/careless enough to give their name away in the days before the Internet age is open to conjecture. Would someone use the name of an obscure, unheard of Luxembourg football player as part of that ruse? It's odds on that Marion was told to use the name of Remakel when changing her name by Deed Poll and not by choice.

Diana--there's also a detective story by Josephine Tey in which an actress changed her name to Ray Marcable. The inspiration for the change was a director or something who used repeatedly to declare her, in French, to be remarkable! Marion named herself Florabella = beautiful flower; perhaps she intended Remakel to sound like and signify "remarkable".

The name Florabella....It's probably nothing, but I was wondering where Marion would have come across the name Florabella, which is Italian and so uncommon anywhere else that no-one in this story had ever come across it before they heard it in connection with Marion's disappearance. I started to wonder if perhaps there could be clues in the names she chose for herself. Not clues in the sense that she left them there for people to find, but clues in the sense of psychologically why would she choose this or that name, what personal significance might it have had, was it the name of a character in the arts or literature that had some meaning? So I did some digging and found some literary references, there was an operetta called Florabella, there are several flower and accessory companies using variations of that name, but nothing seemed relevant. Then, I came across a reprint (courtesy of Gutenberg) of a serialized detective story that ran from the late 30s to the early 1940s, called "Saul and the Spinster" by one Aiden de Brune, a very interesting journalist and author, who was apparently the first person to ever complete the perimeter of Australia on foot. I realize that this would have come out a few years before Marion's birth, however, especially in the past, magazines and journals were often kept for years in home libraries. I know that when I was growing up in the 1970s in the UK, I had access to magazines, comics, and journals, going back to the 1950s from both of my parents. Anyway, the story is a detective crime novel which features a girl who mysteriously disappears, money being hidden in ingenious places for smuggling, and a female protagonist who owns a fashion boutique in Sydney called, you guessed it, Florabella! This was so weird to find, because I did not even have "Australia" in my search string and yet found this Australian detective story, while searching for Florabella. Even weirder, the story specifically involves the New South Wales police. Here is the link. I have not read every single word of the story, just skimmed it enough to extract some details, but I invite anyone who thinks there may be something in this, to take a peek for themselves: Saul and the Spinster

I guess my point is that when people do things like re-invent themselves, re-name themselves and so on, they often have a lot of symbolic attachments to the new labels they choose for themselves. So, I realize there's someone on here who said their friend changed their name from one mundane thing to another and they think that's the norm, but that person is also talking about people who presumably didn't then go vanishing off on a long vacation but merely kept living their normal lives, just as Tom instead of Harry or whatever. This is different. This is a person re-fashioning themselves. I've known people like this and they don't change their name from Tom to Harry, they change it from Tom to Sebastian or Aloyisus or something exotic like that.

Remember the story "Into the Wild" about the idealistic back-to-nature kid who ended up starving to death in Alaska (Christopher McCandless)? Well, remember that he changed his name to Alexander Supertramp while he was out on the road? The reason he did this was because it meant something to him. It was an obscure reference to the author and traveler W.H. Davies, who had written a 1908 book about his hobo-ing around called "The Autobiography of a Super-Tramp". (I don't know what the Alexander was about.) Knowing the origin of the name he chose for himself gives huge insights into the fate that befell him.

The family and investigators in this case have taken the approach that the name Remekal was chosen because of the Lonelyhearts ad and have given no theory as to why she chose the other two forenames. I think this deserves a little more creative thought. I don't think Marion blindfolded herself and stuck a pin in a book of names. I think she chose this temporary fake name (she could not have intended to keep it, it was a transition name) for a meaningful reason and not just as a random act. I could be wrong and she could have done exactly that, which would be super-clever if you don't want to get found. But I think it is far more likely that every one of the four names she chose as her alias have significance. Of course, one of them is her own, Marion, so the significance there is clear. Everyone's been hung up on Remekal but Florabella and Natalia have to have meant something to her as well. Is there something in this old detective novel that relates to or parallels the issues Marion was facing and what she planned to do about it? Dunno....check it out.....

Interestingly, I came across this story also last summer when I first started listening to The Lady Vanishes. It did seem a bit coincidental to me that it was centered around a story set in Australia- I never read the whole thing but think I downloaded a short summary or something- I remember scanning for all the mentions of Florabella and potential clues..I guess it is about reading between the lines. It would probably be useful to refer back to. Authorities probably never often consider similarities like this or things from book- just towards hard evidence, but it is the sort of place people who go missing or committ a crime get their ideas from. Also in 1997 there was little internet usage and access - people were more likely to use libraries and Marion seems to be the type of person who would seek out an old paper or publication- maybe she had heard of the author before and sought it out specifically. I seem to recall there being a reference last year to an interesting find in a California library of some significance- the podcast made a big deal over it, but I don't recall them ever getting around to telling us!

I believe that evidence of Marion's whereabouts in England mainly come from the postmarks on the postcards she sent? Could get really proactive- The Times of Tunbridge Wells I think is the main newspaper for the area. I am unsure how often it comes out. I checked on Historic Newspapers, but I think they mainly cover national media. I wonder if they would archive back issues of the paper from 1997 and if so if they could be ordered from the week of August 1st 1997- there may be some clues of the goings on in the area around the time Marion fell off the radar. She said she was staying at a nearby guest house and had been having tea with a couple of old ladies- but was she? I know the podcast visited Tunbridge Wells , but even then after such a long time , records are gone and the locals will have a tough time recalling a face from a picture - maybe everyone needs their memories jogged and accessing perhaps some local news from around that time would be key- even just to see what events were on, what the weather was like and any notable petty crime or goings on.

I believe that evidence of Marion's whereabouts in England mainly come from the postmarks on the postcards she sent? Could get really proactive- The Times of Tunbridge Wells I think is the main newspaper for the area. I am unsure how often it comes out. I checked on Historic Newspapers, but I think they mainly cover national media. I wonder if they would archive back issues of the paper from 1997 and if so if they could be ordered from the week of August 1st 1997- there may be some clues of the goings on in the area around the time Marion fell off the radar. She said she was staying at a nearby guest house and had been having tea with a couple of old ladies- but was she? I know the podcast visited Tunbridge Wells , but even then after such a long time , records are gone and the locals will have a tough time recalling a face from a picture - maybe everyone needs their memories jogged and accessing perhaps some local news from around that time would be key- even just to see what events were on, what the weather was like and any notable petty crime or goings on.
The Times in Tunbridge Wells (also a sister paper in Tonbridge) is a very recent publication. The local paper at that time and still is The Kent & Sussex Courier.
Nearly all the hotels in Tunbridge Wells in 1997 are now in different ownership and many of the records destroyed. All this delay has allowed so much evidence to disappear.
Kent Police have still not investigated the case after 23 years as New South Wales Police have never asked them.
This case should have been investigated by Interpol as there seems to be an obvious mainland Europe link.
Nobody has ever asked EuroStar and Channel Ports if anyone using the name of Barter/Remakel travelled in or out of the UK in June to August 1997.
Why has Sally’s DNA not been cross-referenced against all unidentified bodies found and known criminals across Europe?
Decades wasted believing Marion willingly disappeared.
I feel frustrated so heaven knows how Sally feels.

Does anyone know when the next episode is out? I read somewhere was to be the 29th (today), but nothing seems to have gone up.

I am a little bit confused about the full story of the colonoscopy. Firstly, is not clear how they accessed that information as medical records were said to understandably confidential. Not only that, but it was found through medical codes and there seems to have been a conclusion in previous podcast that at least they knew Marion was not terminally ill...are the codes not just for the colonoscopy procedure and I have read somewhere about the identification of a rectal tumor??? What happened after this, that brought them to this conclusion of all being well with Marion unless they had seen a follow up report stating the all clear? As far as I know, all they found out was she had a colonoscopy investigation. what have I missed as I didn't really follow it all...sorry if this post is me being dense!

Marion mentions Holland and Amsterdam in her last postcards home and that she was going to REVISIT Holland and was "eagerly looking forward to seeing Van Gogh's Sunflower" painting (presumably at the Van Gogh museum in Amsterdam). Has anyone from Dutch police ever investigated whether she did actually travel to mainland Europe from the UK? If she did travel to Holland how did she get there? Ferry, plane or EuroStar? There were not open borders across the EU then so she would have had to pass through some form of passport control. Does anyone know how to contact Dutch Police?

Just another thought. The mysterious Clark Hunter who wrote on Sally’s Facebook page. Alan Clark(e) and Norman Hunter played for Leeds United and England in the early 70s. Is the name a football reference from someone familiar with the sport at that time? Just throwing it out there.

Following on from the above Leeds United did play Spora Luxembourg in the Fairs Cup in Oct 1967. Leeds won 16-0 on aggregate something you wouldn’t forget easily. Only problem Mr R played for Union Luxembourg although the clubs later merged and Alan Clarke didn’t join Leeds until 1968.

I feel like we don't have too much information about Marion in her earlier life- maybe there is not too much to draw on or maybe Marion never told Sally much but there could be vital clues. For example do we know if she ever went on many holidays as a child? What was her relationship like with her own parents? I have also looked into the possibility of Florabella coming from a first and second name. There was a Flora Bella from New Zealand who died in 1978 at the age of 87. Perhaps her family knew this woman? Her surname was Dainty and she moved to the Bay Of Plenty from Auckland after she became a widow. I remember and admire people I recall from my childhood and I could imagine someone making a name up in memory of someone they looked up to or were fond of...just an idea!...FYI- all info courtesy of Ancestry!

So the most interesting things I took out of the latest episode...
- The discovery of Marion's outgoing passenger card and the info on it seems to indicate a clear intention (if we take things at face value). She was going overseas as a divorced woman, with the intention of heading to Luxembourg, and then subsequently came back from overseas as a married woman.
- The theory of Sally's that Marion hopped across to Luxembourg via train from near Brighton makes sense.
- It seems clear now from handwriting that it was Marion who left and also Marion who flew back. So why did she come back such a short time after getting married? My theory would be that her new husband put some kind of pressure on her (whether subtle or overt) to head back to Aus to get her money out of the bank. She only intended to be in Aus a few days for this purpose but then somethign went wrong from there.

Just looked at the FB page and Sally has said that Luxembourg's marriage records are impossible to access. I had a look online myself and it seems that only one of the parties in the marriage can order a copy of the certificate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tammyb1025