Australia Australia - Marion Barter, 51, missing after trip to UK, June 1997 #10

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just had a thought. We know of RBs legal name changes in AU by deed poll. Is there a similar process in Belgium:UK etc? Is it possible he has another long list of legal, (but different names than the ones we know) name changes?
Had a quick look, both UK and Belgium state you can legally use whatever name you want, but an official name change ie deed poll needs legal ID such as birth certificate (Belgian says evidence of criminal record .....), the change is published in newspapers to allow for objection. So although RB may have been known by many names, it is likely that the official name changes were mainly actioned in Australia, where RB claimed they were queuing up to do it! Therefore, in the early days, any other aliases like the FD alias were probably closer to home where official id docs could be acquired.... This makes the entry after release from prison very interesting, between 1974 and 1976...but of course we can't access the arrival records to search.

Had a quick look, both UK and Belgium state you can legally use whatever name you want, but an official name change ie deed poll needs legal ID such as birth certificate (Belgian says evidence of criminal record .....), the change is published in newspapers to allow for objection. So although RB may have been known by many names, it is likely that the official name changes were mainly actioned in Australia, where RB claimed they were queuing up to do it! Therefore, in the early days, any other aliases like the FD alias were probably closer to home where official id docs could be acquired.... This makes the entry after release from prison very interesting, between 1974 and 1976...but of course we can't access the arrival records to search.
Awww so interesting. Thanks for checking this. Maybe this is why he wanted to go to AU in the first place. To change his name without it being published. Didn’t he try to change it legally to de Hedervary quickly after arrival in 1969 but couldn’t then for some reason (I’m not sure if I’m remembering this correctly. I could be wrong on this).

Awww so interesting. Thanks for checking this. Maybe this is why he wanted to go to AU in the first place. To change his name without it being published. Didn’t he try to change it legally to de Hedervary quickly after arrival in 1969 but couldn’t then for some reason (I’m not sure if I’m remembering this correctly. I could be wrong on this).
I made notes of that name change in 1969, which was introduced by counsel at the inquest as he applied for a permit to remain as WW and it was granted to FDH (after a deed poll name change), and I subsequently listened again to this exchange to confirm it. However, there is no other reference to this anywhere in the NAA notes, so now I am wondering if this was actually when citizenship was granted in 1976?

I made notes of that name change in 1969, which was introduced by counsel at the inquest as he applied for a permit to remain as WW and it was granted to FDH (after a deed poll name change), and I subsequently listened again to this exchange to confirm it. However, there is no other reference to this anywhere in the NAA notes, so now I am wondering if this was actually when citizenship was granted in 1976?
From my notes:
Oct 2 1969 Granted residency permit to remain in Aust in the name of FREDERICK de HEDERVARY. As it is illegal to change a name unless you are an Australian citizen, it must be assumed it was a forgery. RB gave evidence at the inquest that a lawyer arranged it for him.
November 1969 AUSTRALIAN IMMIGRATION issues a "STOP" card for him. He's not to leave AUS without questioning. They were already on to him in 1969!

From my notes:
Oct 2 1969 Granted residency permit to remain in Aust in the name of FREDERICK de HEDERVARY. As it is illegal to change a name unless you are an Australian citizen, it must be assumed it was a forgery. RB gave evidence at the inquest that a lawyer arranged it for him.
November 1969 AUSTRALIAN IMMIGRATION issues a "STOP" card for him. He's not to leave AUS without questioning. They were already on to him in 1969!
Yes, they are my notes too. I will have to delve back into the NAA file to see if that is corroborated in their paperwork.

Just had a thought. We know of RBs legal name changes in AU by deed poll. Is there a similar process in Belgium:UK etc? Is it possible he has another long list of legal, (but different names than the ones we know) name changes?
“Belgisch staatsblad” (Dutch) “moniteur Belge” (fr) “belgisches staatsblad” (german) is where namechanges are “posted”. (Yes i know, the 3 languages is a stupid thing)

Belgisch Staatsblad - Wikipedia

I am ploughing through it again, but just came to the bit re Bernard Dupont, 17 Hampden Street, 4 Paddington, England ....I think this is in Australia as Hampden St in Paddington, London was completely demolished in 1962 and this offence is one of the ones listed in the 1976/77 crimes. Probably not important, but might mean that Bernard not living in France.

Found a picture of Don Juan in this news article (apologize if already posted & I missed it). The woman next to him is supposedly his accomplice sister Alice David (but with this guy who knows if that's true). Reposting WW pics for comparison.

Attachments

• DJ.png
    DJ.png
    557.8 KB · Views: 104
  • Man of Many Names.png
    Man of Many Names.png
    200.1 KB · Views: 83
Under Belgian law, marriage does not have any effect on the spouses' surnames. You keep the surname that you had before you were married.
I have read this before, but it does give reason as to why MB changed her name to FNMR if her intention was to start a new life with FNR.
I looked it up in the Belgian law and you’re right, except it says:

“Indien u naast uw Belgische nationaliteit ook nog de nationaliteit van een andere EU-lidstaat bezit kan een andere regel gelden.”

Which means that, if there’s a second nationality, there can be different rules.

Yes, they are my notes too. I will have to delve back into the NAA file to see if that is corroborated in their paperwork.
Found the STOP card P104, this was because RB had overstayed his initial period of 3 months by 24Aug69, but actually he was already progressing his leave to remain/residence status, which was approved on 2Oct69.

I think the Problem with Barclays account was that it was in Marion Barters name and her Passport was in Remakel so she didn’t have the ID to get money out there, so no point in her transferring more to that account.
So I wonder what happened to all of her documents in the MB name? If this theory is correct, then she didn’t take them with her. Did Sally ever mention that she had them for safe keeping? But then if it was MB that returned, then she must have been able to access her documents upon return to access her bank accounts here. So where could they have been stored?

PART ONE - IMO

RB meets Marion, probably at the Art Centre or such like place. Gets to know her over a few weeks or months and he listens and takes inventory! She has a dream of the Orient Express and is obviously worth the effort so he enforces that dream with promises of a romantic new life in Europe. Marion is now at her most vulnerable.

RB Rents a larger house at WOLLONGBAH (about 45min drive west from Ballina on a gravel road) children are at Ballina school and attending swimming after school. (family away from the house for predictable long periods of time) A container of furniture arriving soon after moving would not arouse suspicion.

May 16 They plan their escape from reality. MARION BARTER changes her name to FLORABELLA NATALIA MARION REMAKEL (with or perhaps, without his knowledge)

Jun 2 Marion's house was sold within 4 weeks, at $20k loss, the mortgage on the house was discharged, and Marion opens a high performing interest earning account with a $5k per day withdrawal limit. On this day she transfers $20k to an overseas Barclay Bank for her holiday which has remained untouched.

Jun 16 Marion resigns, quickly packs her belongings which are shipped either to a place of his choosing or direct to Wollongbah. Sally sees the secret man in Marion's car.

Jun 17 RICHARD LLOYD WESTBURY departs Brisbane 5 days before Marion on JL airlines. Passenger card says he intends to spend 30 days in Belgium. He tells her he has important financial business to attend to in Belgium and will call her in UK.

Jun 22 FLORABELLA NATALIA MARION REMAKEL departed Brisbane for UK.

Abt. Jul 7 Marion sends cards and gifts home during next few weeks. She indicated for at least some of the time she was travelling alone - she'd hired a sml car to carry her luggage. She was planning to visit Jane Austin's house and to be in Amsterdam on 15th July for her booked Orient Express trip. Cards were sent from Brighton, Sussex, London, Alfordson & Tunbridge Wells. All seemed well.
I definitely agree that she could not access funds in the UK due to name change Remakel. I believe Orient Express was cancelled due to the funds not being available. It was the first hiccup in particular for MR Aka. I believe it was Marion who returned to access funds, and most likely with the ‘intention’ of opening another OS account in her new name. Withdraw all from previous to open another OZ Acct (most likely completely different bank) here in name Remakel to then transfer a large amount to another new account under the correct name in Uk/Europe.

So I wonder what happened to all of her documents in the MB name? If this theory is correct, then she didn’t take them with her. Did Sally ever mention that she had them for safe keeping? But then if it was MB that returned, then she must have been able to access her documents upon return to access her bank accounts here. So where could they have been stored?
I had a thought, if our man of many names held MB’s identity documents and had arranged a Power of Attourney at the time of the name change, he could easily have accessed MB’s accounts here in Australia.

I had a thought, if our man of many names held MB’s identity documents and had arranged a Power of Attourney at the time of the name change, he could easily have accessed MB’s accounts here in Australia.
Especially if they did do a quickie marriage somewhere as her legal spouse plus her ID

How bout this…
MB returns.
RB meets her at airport. They stay together in Brisbane DDH believing her husband is still IS OS so no suspicion that he hasn’t returned.

MB removed her own funds. And RB and MB both with ID in the name of Remakel open a joint account in a bank that is NOT used previously by either of them.

RB is legally FDH in NSW

The joint account is Remakel in QLD.

Both have ID as Remakel (RB a license and most likely something else like a Medicare card) for QLD

MB has her passport, and def an international license as Remakel and possible more also QLD.

she does this believing they are either married or will be.

MB vanishes.

RB has access to funds in an account that no one knows about.. and slowly moves that when travelling OS and/or moves entirety to OS account.

$$$vanishes along with Marion

Last edited:
PART TWO IMO

RB calls Marion - he's been held up in Belgium with some fanciful business reason. She should meet him in Amsterdam instead.

Marion couldn't access her Barclays account due to ID issues and couldn't open an account to have the balance of her money transferred either due to no permanent address. RB's plan was unravelling.

RB had planned for Marion (and her bank accounts) to meet him in Amsterdam prior to their Orient Express trip. First she would withdraw a large amount for their trip. Then, possibly in some remote place, Marion and her money & bankcards would soon be parted (another mugging or worse) FERNAND REMAKEL would disappear into thin air.

Now, RB had to think on his feet. Convince Marion to postpone their trip on the Orient Express while she travels back to sort out the banking issues. He books her a flight to Brisbane on 2nd AUG and uses his own return flight for 31st JUL. He tells Marion he will try to tie up his loose ends in Belgium and meet her at the Novatel Hotel. He needs a couple of days head start.

AUG 1 MARION phoned Sally. She said she was in Tunbridge Wells at a pay phone. THIS WAS HER LAST CALL. She said she'd postponed her Orient Express trip. She'd been to Harrod's and travelled the tube in London. She also said she was busy sightseeing and not to expect contact for a while. Marion was more likely to have been at Heathrow Airport.

AUG 2 MARION aka FLORABELLA REMAKEL arrived Brisbane - coming for 8 days. Status: married: housewife, Luxembourg. Staying at Novatel Brisbane.

RB meets Marion at the airport. It's her birthday so he wanted to surprise her by getting back early. He has a car (possibly rented in another name) waiting. He tells Marion he has a special birthday surprise and she happily leaves with him. Marion and her money are never seen again.

@BonnieB I think you've nailed it. Part 3 is what happened next.
My theory is they go to some temporary accommodation in Byron Bay where they won't be recognised and he convinces her the best way to access the $ is incremental withdrawal and he'll store in safe custody for her and transfer altogether to an account in her new name. She had indicated on her incoming passenger card a duration stay of 8 days, which is til 10 Aug. She has no transport so is reliant on him. Staying in Byron Bay makes sense as she can access banks. He then buys a car and on 11 August he takes her somewhere remote to stay away from their home areas. The car is used to travel into Byron Bay and other areas to continue making withdrawals until the accounts are drained.
Was she coerced/ forced to make the withdrawals, or did she voluntarily do so and then become a victim. Going with the Occam's Razor theory, it's the latter, ie she voluntarily made the withdrawals then became a victim. Maybe he's even sub-consciously told us this with the lies he's told about getting beaten up and robbed.

Does he at this point abandon her (Grafton, Armidale? You stay here I'll be back in a few days). Or does she start to have doubts about him at some stage and confront him? They row and something happens. Or perhaps she wanted to make contact with her family for Owen's birthday and he couldn't let that happen but didn't have an exit plan.

So do you think MB knew all along that his name wasn't Remakel as he was travelling under one of the official passport names, and she was ok with that? MOO, not convinced.
No I don’t think she had any idea. My suggestion is that in her opinion they were getting married. She changed name prior so when arriving in Europe and they run off into the sunset she is his wife. (Potentially marrying in Japan) or not yet married at time of return with plan to in the future.
As mentioned previously any religious ceremony in Europe and in Japan is not legally binding. It’s symbolic but not official. Would Marion know that?

No I don’t think she had any idea. My suggestion is that in her opinion they were getting married. She changed name prior so when arriving in Europe and they run off into the sunset she is his wife. (Potentially marrying in Japan) or not yet married at time of return with plan to in the future.
As mentioned previously any religious ceremony in Europe and in Japan is not legally binding. It’s symbolic but not official. Would Marion know that?

Another plausible scenario would be that she believed they would both be changing their names to F Remakel. Perhaps some tall story about why this was needed in order to start a fresh life with her, not unlike the story he probably told DW back in the 70s.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BlackDiamond