Australia Australia - Marion Barter, 51, missing after trip to UK, June 1997 #10

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It was renewed 2/10/1992 Expired 2/12/1997
So he had two forms of FNR ID at his disposal to harvest funds separate from MB’s funds until Dec 1997. And/or a passport for someone else to travel on.

For me the Marion Barter Love Scam began in 1994. So let's look at what we know about Marion in 1994.

1989 Marion divorced Ray Barter so she was single and looking for love/marriage again. Although Marion seems to have had a few male friends/lovers in the next five years, she didn't seem to meet anyone for marriage. MB born in Marrickville in 1945-10-03 so she was 44yo then having been married/divorced three times already. She could have been very lonely in those five years but decided to focus on her career.

January 18, 1994: Marion purchased a home at 15 Merinda Court Ashmore for $180,000 to start her new role heading up the reception class at The Southport School.

December 10, 1994: Marion is now 49yo and will be 50yo in October, 1995 so was she keen to meet someone special before she turned 50yo? Ad is placed by FNRemakel. Single, Brown, Sobre, non smoking, Multi house owner, intelligent, warm, motivated and to the end with moral qualities important seeks lady of free heart. View permanent relationship and/or marriage. Trove.nla.gov.au Le Courier Australien (Sydney, NSW : 1892 - 2011) Saturday 10 December 1994 p 27 Advertising. Aged 47, (named as M.F. Remakel) in 1994 would make him around the same age as Marion. Lists a phone number and his PO Box as being in Lennox Head, a very short distance from Byron Bay.

At the inquest, RB informed police he placed an ad under the Name MFR Purpose: French speaking friend. Historical Qld driving records indicate he obtained a driver's license under FNR well before Marion disappeared Relevant because prior to Marion’s disappearance she changed her surname to Remakel.

I believe that Marion could have replied to that ad by phone but did not meet him until later on. Did one of Marion's colleagues (who spoke French) tell Marion about this ad, translate it for her and simply pass on the phone no for Marion to respond to him? Most people use a phone no if one is given. It was a Saturday so Marion was not working and looking forward to the school holidays and some male company. Possibly Marion disclosed details of where she lived and worked and gave him her phone no but RB said he would contact her in the future (as he wanted to check her out first).

***December 12-15, 1994 Someone stole Marion's wallet from her car when she left the car door open while she was taking books into or from the school. Her Medicare (used in Grafton later) and credit card (used later) were in her wallet. Was her driving licence also in it in the name of Marion Barter? IMO the thief could have been RB who could have been following Marion from her home to the school early on one of the four school days left of that week and took the opportunity to steal Marion's wallet so he would have her ID and perhaps some cash?

December 15, 1994 Queensland School holidays begin.

December, 1994 Sally moved to Southport to live with her mother.

*** This date is crucial for this scenario to have worked.

I posed this scenario a few weeks ago as Peralta (whom I respect as knowing the details of this period) posted that the theft happened in 1994 NOT 1997 (as has been in some timelines previously.) Peralta agreed and commended me for my theory.

Can anyone confirm the date of this theft please?

Last edited:
Me too but after after the comment earlier now I’m doubting myself lol
RE QUEENSLAND DRIVERS LICENCES
As a Queenslander myself, I thought I would have a little think about this.
IMO, and my memories checked with other Queenslanders:

Open class Queensland Drivers’ licences last for a period of 5 years and regardless of the application date the expiry date was your DOB. [so the expiry date of the licence in 1997 would have been the DOB given for FNR]

You could renew licences prior to the expiry date but the expiry date on the renewed licence would always be your DOB.

Driver Licensing is a state responsibility and so rules can vary from state to state and there is no Australia wide licensing system. HOWEVER….an interesting snippet is that in 1997, Australia introduced a National (Australia wide) uniform arrangement for the regulation and renewal of licences. This strongly leads me to believe that prior to 1997 RB was taking advantage of a lack of nationwide monitoring of licences and after 1997 he could have been discovered with multiple licences. If he knew this it might explain why he did not apply to renew the licence? In case he was discovered. Only IMO and MOO but based on things I know!

Last edited:
From my notes:
Oct 2 1969 Granted residency permit to remain in Aust in the name of FREDERICK de HEDERVARY. As it is illegal to change a name unless you are an Australian citizen, it must be assumed it was a forgery. RB gave evidence at the inquest that a lawyer arranged it for him.
November 1969 AUSTRALIAN IMMIGRATION issues a "STOP" card for him. He's not to leave AUS without questioning. They were already on to him in 1969!
Agree!

RE QUEENSLAND DRIVERS LICENCES
As a Queenslander myself, I thought I would have a little think about this.
IMO, and my memories checked with other Queenslanders:

Open class Queensland Drivers’ licences last for a period of 5 years and regardless of the application date the expiry date was your DOB. [so the expiry date of the licence in 1997 would have been the DOB given for FNR

You could renew licences prior to the expiry date but the expiry date on the renewed licence would always be your DOB.

Driver Licensing is a state responsibility and so rules can vary from state to state and there is no Australia wide licensing system. HOWEVER….an interesting snippet is that in 1997, Australia introduced a National (Australia wide) uniform arrangement for the regulation and renewal of licences. This strongly leads me to believe that prior to 1997 RB was taking advantage of a lack of nationwide monitoring of licences and after 1997 he could have been discovered with multiple licences. If he knew this it might explain why he did not apply to renew the licence? In case he was discovered. Only IMO and MOO but based on things I know!
Perhaps he has set up accounts using the FMR license and now it has become inadequate as a form of ID to harvest funds in that name. Hence need for passport using those specific initials and surname. It’s too significant that MB’s passport uses those exact initials and surname. After Dec 1997 all transactions have been accomplished and the Drivers licence is allowed to expire as a dead ID as mission accomplished.

PART TWO IMO

RB calls Marion - he's been held up in Belgium with some fanciful business reason. She should meet him in Amsterdam instead.

Marion couldn't access her Barclays account due to ID issues and couldn't open an account to have the balance of her money transferred either due to no permanent address. RB's plan was unravelling.

RB had planned for Marion (and her bank accounts) to meet him in Amsterdam prior to their Orient Express trip. First she would withdraw a large amount for their trip. Then, possibly in some remote place, Marion and her money & bankcards would soon be parted (another mugging or worse) FERNAND REMAKEL would disappear into thin air.

Now, RB had to think on his feet. Convince Marion to postpone their trip on the Orient Express while she travels back to sort out the banking issues. He books her a flight to Brisbane on 2nd AUG and uses his own return flight for 31st JUL. He tells Marion he will try to tie up his loose ends in Belgium and meet her at the Novatel Hotel. He needs a couple of days head start.

AUG 1 MARION phoned Sally. She said she was in Tunbridge Wells at a pay phone. THIS WAS HER LAST CALL. She said she'd postponed her Orient Express trip. She'd been to Harrod's and travelled the tube in London. She also said she was busy sightseeing and not to expect contact for a while. Marion was more likely to have been at Heathrow Airport.

AUG 2 MARION aka FLORABELLA REMAKEL arrived Brisbane - coming for 8 days. Status: married: housewife, Luxembourg. Staying at Novatel Brisbane.

RB meets Marion at the airport. It's her birthday so he wanted to surprise her by getting back early. He has a car (possibly rented in another name) waiting. He tells Marion he has a special birthday surprise and she happily leaves with him. Marion and her money are never seen again.
Everything is very plausible, but minor correction, MB's birthday was the 3 October. Is there a birthdate for FNMR??

Found a picture of Don Juan in this news article (apologize if already posted & I missed it). The woman next to him is supposedly his accomplice sister Alice David (but with this guy who knows if that's true). Reposting WW pics for comparison.
He was arrested with his sister Elise David and his beau arrested a little earlier Mathilde Tadieu -
He and Elise were arrested in their apartment in PASSY.

MB should have submitted a tax return for the financial year 1996/97, but she left before June 30th, so where was her Group Certificate/Income Statement posted to? When she returned, did she submit her tax return in the few weeks she was supposedly in Australia? In this era, the ATO didn't use electronic funds transfer, so MB should have received a refund in the form a cheque (with tear off perforations) attached to a statement. (From my experience, all teachers received a refund in these years!) If so, when and where was this cheque posted to and deposited?
It was a long time ago now when I first listened to the podcast (2019) but I did get the impression that the police had followed all leads for evidence that MB retuned...like proof of life documentation...and that would include ATO records, TMR records, etc?
Was this what you are asking?

I think the Problem with Barclays account was that it was in Marion Barters name and her Passport was in Remakel so she didn’t have the ID to get money out there, so no point in her transferring more to that account.
IMO - Like with JO, RB took off to Europe with all MB's personal paperwork so she was not in possession of these documents to access her money at Barclays. This could be when MB discovered all was not kosher. :eek:

So he had two forms of FNR ID at his disposal to harvest funds separate from MB’s funds until Dec 1997. And/or a passport for someone else to travel on.
As far as I know RB only had one form of FNR ID and that was a current Qld licence but who knows what additional 'forged' documents he may have carried for his scam.

Okay, I was today years old when I found out you get fined if you don't vote in Aus.
:D Yes, compulsory voting in Oz and if you don't turn up you get a "Please explain" letter! If you don't have a reasonable excuse then you get fined!
I got fined once and appealed because I was living on a remote island and the Postal Vote papers, and the "please explain" letters didn't make it to me. I appealed and won though!!

I definitely agree that she could not access funds in the UK due to name change Remakel. I believe Orient Express was cancelled due to the funds not being available. It was the first hiccup in particular for MR Aka. I believe it was Marion who returned to access funds, and most likely with the ‘intention’ of opening another OS account in her new name. Withdraw all from previous to open another OZ Acct (most likely completely different bank) here in name Remakel to then transfer a large amount to another new account under the correct name in Uk/Europe.
This does make sense! Then maybe old mate intervened after she did that?

How bout this…
MB returns.
RB meets her at airport. They stay together in Brisbane DDH believing her husband is still IS OS so no suspicion that he hasn’t returned.

MB removed her own funds. And RB and MB both with ID in the name of Remakel open a joint account in a bank that is NOT used previously by either of them.

RB is legally FDH in NSW

The joint account is Remakel in QLD.

Both have ID as Remakel (RB a license and most likely something else like a Medicare card) for QLD

MB has her passport, and def an international license as Remakel and possible more also QLD.

she does this believing they are either married or will be.

MB vanishes.

RB has access to funds in an account that no one knows about.. and slowly moves that when travelling OS and/or moves entirety to OS account.

$$$vanishes along with Marion
I like your thinking !!

All very plausible. I can't find any notes on it, but I have a feeling that the FNR driving license was renewed once in Australia and then allowed to expire.. I thought it was 1996 ie two years after the ad, but before MBs trip to Europe. I am sure counsel asked about the license/expiry..anyone got that on a timeline please before I listen again tomorrow?
@Ruby@2065 If the DL was renewed in 1992, it would have expired in 1997 on the DOB of the person applying for the DL (ie FNR DOB). this is what happens in Queensland.

For me the Marion Barter Love Scam began in 1994. So let's look at what we know about Marion in 1994.

1989 Marion divorced Ray Barter so she was single and looking for love/marriage again. Although Marion seems to have had a few male friends/lovers in the next five years, she didn't seem to meet anyone for marriage. MB born in Marrickville in 1945-10-03 so she was 44yo then having been married/divorced three times already. She could have been very lonely in those five years but decided to focus on her career.

January 18, 1994: Marion purchased a home at 15 Merinda Court Ashmore for $180,000 to start her new role heading up the reception class at The Southport School.

December 10, 1994: Marion is now 49yo and will be 50yo in October, 1995 so was she keen to meet someone special before she turned 50yo? Ad is placed by FNRemakel. Single, Brown, Sobre, non smoking, Multi house owner, intelligent, warm, motivated and to the end with moral qualities important seeks lady of free heart. View permanent relationship and/or marriage. Trove.nla.gov.au Le Courier Australien (Sydney, NSW : 1892 - 2011) Saturday 10 December 1994 p 27 Advertising. Aged 47, (named as M.F. Remakel) in 1994 would make him around the same age as Marion. Lists a phone number and his PO Box as being in Lennox Head, a very short distance from Byron Bay.

At the inquest, RB informed police he placed an ad under the Name MFR Purpose: French speaking friend. Historical Qld driving records indicate he obtained a driver's license under FNR well before Marion disappeared Relevant because prior to Marion’s disappearance she changed her surname to Remakel.

I believe that Marion could have replied to that ad by phone but did not meet him until later on. Did one of Marion's colleagues (who spoke French) tell Marion about this ad, translate it for her and simply pass on the phone no for Marion to respond to him? Most people use a phone no if one is given. It was a Saturday so Marion was not working and looking forward to the school holidays and some male company. Possibly Marion disclosed details of where she lived and worked and gave him her phone no but RB said he would contact her in the future (as he wanted to check her out first).

***December 12-15, 1994 Someone stole Marion's wallet from her car when she left the car door open while she was taking books into or from the school. Her Medicare and credit card was in the wallet. Was her driving licence also in it in the name of Marion Barter? IMO the thief could have been RB who could have been following Marion from her home to the school early on one of the four school days left of that week and took the opportunity to steal Marion's wallet?

December 15, 1994 Queensland School holidays begin.

December, 1994 Sally moved to Southport to live with her mother.

*** This date is crucial for this scenario to have worked.

I posed this scenario a few weeks ago as Perala (whom I respect as knowing the details of this period) posted that the theft happened in 1994 NOT 1997 (as has been in some timelines previously.) Perala agreed and commended me for my theory.

Can anyone confirm the date of this theft please?
Thank you @Estelle for this clear summary. I also respect @Peralta clear summaries with accurate dates taken from verified sources.

Despite the apparent complexity of RB’s life, I find it hard to think of him as a criminal mastermind. He has spent a lot of time getting caught and the romance scam schemes we know about seem to have all failed to go to plan.

I see him more as a “useful idiot” - perhaps running errands for someone who is laundering money or trafficking drugs. The relatively small scale fleecing of women seems like a not-very-lucrative sideline associated with the main game.

If someone else was paying for the airfares, it explains how he could afford to travel so often. I don’t believe the JAL discount fares story. Perhaps he just travelled on the airline he was told to, so he genuinely didn’t know why the JAL routine was changed.

Due to personal experience I’ve done some research on malignant narcissists with grandiosity. RB seems to fit this profile. His unsettled childhood is a textbook set up for narcissism. Narcissists literally erase themselves and present different personalities to different people - mirroring their targets in order to gain their love. They are chameleons.

This would explain how RB manages to get women to follow him - at least for a while. Narcissists can be hugely beguiling and convincing because they will tell you you share all the same dreams, goals and values. They literally reflect all your best qualities back at you so you feel like you have met your soul-mate. But they can’t maintain the charade long term. They get bored and move on to the next conquest, adopting a new persona.

Narcissists are like vampires. They feed on attention - good or bad - and drama. I think RB’s motive is excitement and a sense of superiority - not primarily, money - and that he sees himself as a kind of James Bond character. That kind of person could be very useful to a criminal organisation - and completely disposable if something went wrong.

Narcissists lie about every single thing - even things that don’t matter - even when there is concrete evidence they’re lying. That meshes with RB’s courtroom performance.

And many have a virgin/*advertiser censored* complex about women, so they will see most women as “*advertiser censored*” but some - eg DdH and Monique - as “virgins” - treated as either a mother figure or as an idol to be worshipped.

It fits the profile to have a compliant woman at home, a woman you idolise, and then a shifting harem of women you despise.

Just some thoughts.

It was a long time ago now when I first listened to the podcast (2019) but I did get the impression that the police had followed all leads for evidence that MB retuned...like proof of life documentation...and that would include ATO records, TMR records, etc?
Was this what you are asking?
There seems to be "a lot" of investigation done by police but so far, nothing definite has been proved. Telephone calls, email and "paper shuffling" (again!) has not neatly tied up loose ends. Another case of departmental - gunna, shoulda, woulda, coulda!! This is what I gleaned from the podcast. But we still need to find what happened to MB by any means.

As far as I know RB only had one form of FNR ID and that was a current Qld licence but who knows what additional 'forged' documents he may have carried for his scam.

At the inquest, RB stated that he had a Belgian driver's licence in FNR name and then got an international Driver's Licence in that name as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timbo1966