Australia Australia - Marion Barter, 51, missing after trip to UK, June 1997 #10

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait what???
This says embarkation date of 5/18/70 (which would be 4 months of age). Did IK & WW leave in February without the baby? How did IK sign as mother in Sydney in May 1970?
And just that comment alone explains my post about why it is people get so confused about 'valid' timelines.

The babys departure was 8 May 1970 , 2 days before IK leaves.
IK NEVER left with WW - this was just on someones timeline that people followed and took as fact.
Makes it difficult doesnt it for newcomers !

RB does strike me as a penny pincher, his comment about not using money transfers due to the fee, if he has scammed people out of a lot of money he doesn't seem to have spent it on material things, I think he is very "jewish' ( I can say that I am jewish lol) my father is the same with money, he will take the long way around to save a cent and nothing annoys him more than the bank or business clipping his ticket lol

if he had any say over her money I can imagine he ask her to withdraw it in a way that didn't cause him any unnecessary costs lol they did say that account attracted penalties for amounts over $5K, it might seem odd to us to risk this method over weeks but would make perfect sense to someone whom is tight as with money.

Also as centered pointed out - maybe the money was used for his kids, again a very jewish thing to do, heavily invest in your children's future, education etc...

I say jewish because its quite typical of the culture but other people can have this bent as well of course.
I'm thinking a bit of a penny pincher too, if we're to believe he sold a block of land because the council charged him too much to kill the weedso_O

Yes, I know that, but this address doesn't exist in London although it does in Australia near RB and I am sure he said (at the inquest)he knew Bernard Dupont, he was a friend. Just MOO.

Ancestry popped up some 17 Hampden Street addresses in :

Lancashire England
Bayswater London England
Kensal Green London England
Kilburn London England
Middlesex England

I’m not sure of their existence at the time of the offenses though.

edit for a rather strange autocorrect

Question for Australians: Why did the taxman not come after Marion all those years she was missing? The $80,000 withdrawal alone would have been a big red flag in US.
If you don’t earn income you don’t need to pay tax or lodge a tax return. But even if they did chase her, they wouldn’t be able to find her.

Omg!! Perhaps that’s it!! Maybe he wanted her to have that name so SHE could access accounts in Remekel’s name overseas??? Maybe the fleece was actually on the other FR or a female member of his family and Marion was caught in the middle??!!
Yes it makes perfect sense doesnt it! Could be his get square with the real FR! And a possibility that Monique DID actually know of Marion ( she queried her name during the investigation), RB's infatuation with her and was surprised she testified against him! Distancing herself from him and removing all connection of him during the investigation.
I think you are on the money @LouLouSleuth !

While we’re on IK (W), I’ve been outing together my own timeline and I can’t work out how IK arrives in AUS by ship on 22 May if she was married on 10 May in Brussels. Did she fly?

Uggh I am so confused myself with this ? :)
Not sure where those dates are from?
10 May 1970 is when she leaves Australia.

Where did you find the 22 May ship date connected to her?
And her marriage date 10th May Brussels??

If you don’t earn income you don’t need to pay tax or lodge a tax return. But even if they did chase her, they wouldn’t be able to find her.

Selling her house counts as income. Perhaps if it's invested after the sale, it doesn't count, but once it's withdrawn, it's income. I just wondered if her delinquent taxes were ever used as proof of her death rather than merely disappearance.

No there isn't one.
BUT it was stated time and again on this thread by someone who keeps updates as they are posted, so it seems from that very timeline, there have been a lot of discrepancies, as @Estelle said.
I was being polite when I said 'I cannot see....'

Selling her house counts as income. Perhaps if it's invested after the sale, it doesn't count, but once it's withdrawn, it's income. I just wondered if her delinquent taxes were ever used as proof of her death rather than merely disappearance.
Yes but as it’s her principal residence it would be exempt from capital gains tax. So no tax payable.

In Australia Capital Gains Tax would usually apply. It would not have applied in this case as she sold the property for $15k less than what she originally purchased it for, therefore making no capital gain.

I still think the flight information on IKs departure card in 1970 is incorrect..it is definitely not IKs handwriting, probably filled in by staff when the card was filed.

Someone, possibly staff, filled out the departure details on IK card , and possibly human error as filling out incorrect date, but they are on two different flights.
VERY weird. Someone else must be with them when in Australia?

Agreed, the IK signatures are the same, but Ilona's flight details have been written by another hand in black pen, that's why I believe they are incorrect and baby's flight details are correct for them both as written by Ilona. Good that we can have different opinions.

I am on your page don't get me wrong.

I could see the differences when @Jamaha first posted the link, but I would say it would be very unlikely that staff could mix up airlines? Date maybe human error but not airlines IMO

EJ whole form is filled out by another person-that is not IK handwriting. IK handwriting is on her own form, aside from the departure deets.

I am on your page don't get me wrong.

I could see the differences when @Jamaha first posted the link, but I would say it would be very unlikely that staff could mix up airlines? Date maybe human error but not airlines IMO

EJ whole form is filled out by another person-that is not IK handwriting. IK handwriting is on her own form, aside from the departure deets.
Could it have been a codeshare flight? That would explain the different flight numbers.

And just that comment alone explains my post about why it is people get so confused about 'valid' timelines.

The babys departure was 8 May 1970 , 2 days before IK leaves.
IK NEVER left with WW - this was just on someones timeline that people followed and took as fact.
Makes it difficult doesnt it for newcomers !
I've been following these threads for years now (with a brief haitus) and I had to click back through 4 pages to understand what you meant (no shade to you at all, I'm just talking about all of the conflicting and constantly evolving info from all of us!).

We are #10 threads into this discussion, so if I have problems over 4 pages, it's no easy feat for newcomers to catch up! Welcome to everyone who has recently joined! Thank you for sharing your insights and please ask questions whenever you need to! :D (I ask them frequently because I lose track from one day to the next!) :p

I still cannot accept that Marion would have taken out small amounts of $5,000 per day in cash just to avoid losing bank interest when she could have transferred all the money from one bank account to another and then to an overseas bank account such as Barclays. She just had to have the correct ID to collect it over there which I assume RB had taken from her for "safety reasons". After all, it was her own money and she claimed to be only staying here eight days! The withdrawals began in August and were still happening in September! It has never made sense to me.
Totally agree. It just doesn’t add up! I imagine Byron Bay was a fairly small branch, and having worked in a bank in the 80s and early 90s, this type of transaction going on over weeks would have been noticed by more staff than just the teller who was serving the person withdrawing the cash. I know bank service has changed a lot over the years, but in the 80s customers making a large withdrawal would even be taken into an office for privacy, to check and count their cash.

Uggh I am so confused myself with this ? :)
Not sure where those dates are from?
10 May 1970 is when she leaves Australia.

Where did you find the 22 May ship date connected to her?
And her marriage date 10th May Brussels??

I’ve probably confused matters by not putting the years in, sorry.

22 May 1969 for arrival into AUS. However it was pointed out to me she arrived by plane not boat. The date came from the NAA file and others on here.

Marriage date was 10 May 1969 to WW from NAA file. Funny it just so happens to be exactly 1 year from when she was married.

Again, sorry for not including years and creating more confusion!

edit for clarity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member