Australia Australia - Marion Barter, 51, missing after trip to UK, June 1997 #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
After listening to the 1st lady witness I have a horrible feeling the perpetrator was a photographer who took incriminating images of Marion and blackmailed her into selling the house etc. He probably added child abuse to his threats to get her to resign from the school earlier than planned.

I have so much to say but I wish it made more sense. The luggage idea is a misnomer, on her part the entire 'luggage' was a full change of Summer clothes, including shoes. It was Summer at that time ... in Australia. So we have one full set of ladies clothes in an easily accessible location in Amsterdam, suitable for a Summer location.

He has her id, house title, citizenship, power of attorney, house keys and clothes. He doesn't have her passport. I desperately wanted them to ask her whose idea it was for her to keep it. I'm betting it was her one and only attempt at personal agency. You don't do these things to steal a small amount of jewellery.

He tells her to go to a specific travel agency. Clearly an accomplice or someone he's paid off to arrange (or not arrange) her travel.

Why has he got her documents? I think because he realised what a hassle it was if he convinced his victim to sell first. Much easier to just use your victims' documents to sell and take the money yourself.

So what's the truth of all of this?
-he uses circuitous rather than direct routes often in his travels -he's connected to a travel agency in the UK -he clearly targets single women in their 50s -he always visits them in their homes and drives their vehicles - he never drives the anywhere unless he was overseas. Supposing Marion did return, their/her only option would be motel accommodation. Presumably close to the branch where the withdrawals were made so she could walk from where she stayed.

I know this is a bit of a mess. I blame the case.

I'm reading the NAA papers and I can't believe that with his track record, he's never been caught. RB was the OG Tinder Swindler (anyone seen that yet?). These guys are so hard to convict because people voluntarily hand over their money. It's near impossible to convict someone for manipulating others. They have to be caught doing something overtly criminal. I hope to god they have significant dirt on RB.

I can only imagine he had at least as may victims as aliases. So far I've come across 20 aliases.
Wow - could you please post a link?

I'm reading the NAA papers and I can't believe that with his track record, he's never been caught. RB was the OG Tinder Swindler (anyone seen that yet?). These guys are so hard to convict because people voluntarily hand over their money. It's near impossible to convict someone for manipulating others. They have to be caught doing something overtly criminal. I hope to god they have significant dirt on RB.

I can only imagine he had at least as may victims as aliases. So far I've come across 20 aliases.
Spot on! Voluntary they convince other to ‘hand over’

I found a record on Ancestry.com of Diane De Hedevary and Frederick david De Hedevary with a 1980 address in Sydney (same address) for a 1980 Electoral roll entry, I'm not signed up with Ancestry so I couldn't bring up the record but it's there if anyone wants to search. not sure if there's anything interesting in there.

I'm wondering if they are still together? I can't help feeling there may be a potential accomplice here.
I did save photos of him from 1986 and the recent one.

Feb 14th
Valentine’s Day taken care of me watching life stream lol

I wonder if the real Fernand Remakel was ever informed that someone was using his name.

Maybe I am wrong, but the real FR's response to the podcast team was hardly unsuspicious in my opinion. He understood enough English to know what was going on, and yet he was not at all forthcoming with information? I found his behaviour really suspicious. Perhaps he was just confused/freaked out, and maybe in fact he had a suspicion already that someone had stolen his identity, which is why he responded in such a manner?

Not that I would be so happy if people came knocking on my door implying I was involved in the disappearance of someone 20 years ago haha

I didn't find him suspicious at all.
I found him actually quite civil. I doubt that I would have kept my cool if it was me.

He didn't owe it to anyone to provide information.

OK, maybe my perspective was just a bit warped by the context of the podcast. I guess personally I would have been more eager to clear things up by providing information to exculpate myself rather than refusing. It's obvious real FR is a victim here as well and deserves an apology or at least to be left alone

I found a record on Ancestry.com of Diane De Hedevary and Frederick david De Hedevary with a 1980 address in Sydney (same address) for a 1980 Electoral roll entry, I'm not signed up with Ancestry so I couldn't bring up the record but it's there if anyone wants to search. not sure if there's anything interesting in there.

I'm wondering if they are still together? I can't help feeling there may be a potential accomplice here.
I did save photos of him from 1986 and the recent one.

From Ancestry

Australia, Electoral Rolls, 1903-1980
Name
Frederick de Hedervery
Electoral Date
Electoral Place
Bondi Beach, Phillip, New South Wales, Australia
Residence Address
0 1303 Old South Head Rd
Add Additional Information

He listed occupation as artist

Australia, Electoral Rolls, 1903-1980
Name
Frederick David De Hedervary
Electoral Date
Electoral Place
Rose Bay, Wentworth, New South Wales, Australia

Occupation listed as photographer

I agree - I believe she came home

I think she completed the incoming passenger card

I think the Bank did ID her and were confident it was her

with both the women at the trial he didn't really get a huge amount off them ( he was after their house or the money from their house), I don't think either of those scams went to plan, who knows how it would have ended if it had.

I love the fact JO was home from the UK when he turned up on her doorstep, only now she realizes why he had a surprise look on his face. That made my day and possible saved her life, I think he gave up after that. He had her title deeds and power of attorney he could have cashed up while he thought he had ditched her in the UK, ... what would have happened after that ??
I'm not caught up yet but I was thinking about the bank ID. Marion had been banking with a few branches or banks I understand. How long had she been with the one that ID'd her? Is it possible the teller was able to ID 'Marion' on the basis that someone had been impersonating her before her disappearance?

Suitcases being left at airports so someone can copy documents they contain?

I'm not buying that the flight card was written by Marion now that a forger is in question.

Yes I tried briefly. Couldn't find anything but will look again. Someone needs to physically check Gold Coast Bulletin which he mentioned in his statement according to Day 1 inquest - he said Marion put one in there

Edit: GCB has to be checked physically at library because copies from 1990s aren't available digitally yet
Very interesting. I hope the police are onto it. I’m sure this guy has a much wider web than just these three women.

Very interesting. I hope the police are onto it. I’m sure this guy has a much wider web than just these three women.

I also think he probably has had double the amount of names we are aware of. Wouldn't be surprised if he caught numerous women through personal ads under other names we don't even know yet - Le Courier Australien would be the place to check, any ads that sound similar to his original one

I also think he probably has had double the amount of names we are aware of. Wouldn't be surprised if he caught numerous women through personal ads under other names we don't even know yet - Le Courier Australien would be the place to check, any ads that sound similar to his original one
This gave me chills. Basically the police need to look into all similar cases of women going missing in the Ballina/Byron/Lismore area.
Also any reported scams/AVOs that fit the brief.

In a way I’m quite glad there will be a break of a week in the inquest. Gives us chance to fully digest, discuss and perhaps further investigate this weeks startling developments. It truly has been mind blowing. I do believe Sally is very close to finally getting the answers she so desperately wants and deserves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CP95