Australia Australia - Marion Barter, 51, missing after trip to UK, June 1997 #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I found a record on Ancestry.com of Diane De Hedevary and Frederick david De Hedevary with a 1980 address in Sydney (same address) for a 1980 Electoral roll entry, I'm not signed up with Ancestry so I couldn't bring up the record but it's there if anyone wants to search. not sure if there's anything interesting in there.

I'm wondering if they are still together? I can't help feeling there may be a potential accomplice here.
I did save photos of him from 1986 and the recent one.

I found a record on Ancestry.com of Diane De Hedevary and Frederick david De Hedevary with a 1980 address in Sydney (same address) for a 1980 Electoral roll entry, I'm not signed up with Ancestry so I couldn't bring up the record but it's there if anyone wants to search. not sure if there's anything interesting in there.

I'm wondering if they are still together? I can't help feeling there may be a potential accomplice here.
Does anyone know what day RB is being questioned?

Feb 14th

I feel it is utterly cruel to hold the inquest of a romance scam on valentine's day.
Perfect day to warn other victims of narcissistic coercive control, "Cycle of Control and violence"! So far he has used all the techniques, love-boming, belittling, blackmail, theft, lies, control, manipulation false love, and gas lighting.

Wasn't there someone with a male name who was going to be called as a witness, not him, someone else ?
Maybe that's yet to come.

But generally thinking scammers are scammers so based on the history records from Belgium in the 60’s - 72 I assume there would be loads of various scams some big some small but I don’t believe all to be just involving women. Hoping more come forward of any aspect to further prove dodgy character.

I know that from watching the inquest.

I was wondering if a similar thing happened to Marion's luggage.

I'm confused about the luggage angle as well, WHY? it seems there wasn't anything valuable in there. were all her documents in there or did she have them on her, or did HE have them.
did he expect the women would go back to the place where the luggage was kept so it gave him more time to get back to Australia and start draining her accounts? IDK

Another thought I had was back around 1997 it was fairly easy to sell your house in Australia from an overseas location, you could fax your title deeds and ID etc to a real estate agent and they would sell the house!
because that happened a lot they changed the rules some years back to make it more secure. I'm sure thats what he was doing, but what happened with JO that changed that plan?

Was it not Marion who came back to Australia, but a look alike, who had stolen her purse to begin with.

In that case I believe something happened to Marion overseas.

If it was her who came back, maybe she got suspicious of something, came back earlier than the other person planned and tried to get all her money out of the bank, because she'd grown suspicious of the other person and realised that somehow they might be able to access her money, having stolen all her ID etc.
And then something happened to her here, in Australia before she had a chance to get the police involved or had a chance to contact family.

If she came home (Marion) without him, where would she stay? she had sold her house, I would think she would contact Sally straight away to come get her, especially if she found out he was scamming her and was scared.
so many questions! at least we got an insight to his M.O today, even if it was slighly different.

[
[QUOTE="

Feb 14th[/QUOTE]

By all accounts it looks as if they are still together, she will give evidence week of the 14th

There is still the issue of the phone call from Marion, was it not established that it could not have been made from the uk (?) it would have put her in Japan (?) so if the phone call is correct she must have at least been halfway home.

I wish we knew what she was thinking, if it was her removing the money, was she still "in love" at that time
I think it was her who made cash withdrawals at cba bank. I think something happened to her here in Australia after that. The 2 ladies he duped in 1998 and 1999 escaped physically unharmed.

There is still the issue of the phone call from Marion, was it not established that it could not have been made from the uk (?) it would have put her in Japan (?) so if the phone call is correct she must have at least been halfway home.

I wish we knew what she was thinking, if it was her removing the money, was she still "in love" at that time

YES!! the fact that she possible pretended to be in the UK but in fact was almost home, tells me she was probably still with him and under his control, he was telling her what to say to Sally, and the fact she did't contact family when she got back, he's sent her to a location of his, did she get back to Aus first or was it him? I know ther was a few days difference.

Timeline: Sally reports MB missing to inquest

October 22 1997- Sally reports to Byron Bay police station, with Senior Constable Graeme Childs lodging an occurrence. A stop was placed on Marions account, with a message for her to contact her daughter as a matter of urgency.

Late Oct 1997- Byron Bay police related to Sally by phone- that he had spoken to Marion, who didn’t want any contact, or anyone to know where she was. No record in police documentation of this.

Late 1997- Jack Wilson, Marion's father, in notes prepared for the Salvation Army, states that he asked the police what identification had been made and they said that the bank security had contacted Marion on the phone and that she didn’t want any contact.

1997- Sally showed photo of Marion to bank teller, who seemed to recognise her and took the photo to the manager. The teller returned, took a copy of the picture and asked Sally what she would like him to say if he saw her.

Feb 12 1998 Betty Brown sends letter to Jack Wilson, confirming that his request for assistance had been received.

March 18 1998- Letter from Salvation Army- to Jack Wilson. Confirming phone call, reiterating that his daughter had been identified withdrawing money at a different bank and that she spoke of starting a new life. Colonial State Bank at Ashmore- 15 October, 1990 (typo?) Marion withdrew the balance of her account. In referenced phone call, Marion had said she was angry with Sally for not putting the money from the car sale into her account, that she didn’t want anything to do with her family.

Mid to late 90s Mrs B. says she placed a Newspaper ad seeking a friend. Fred. De Hep replied (Mr B). She says she attended his house and he was looking for somewhere to say so she offered her garden studio. He offered they go into business together in coin-dealing. She gave him $30 000 for this business; the relationship ended. AVO granted in Nth Sydney 6th January 1999. Mr. Blum said he did not remember her or even offering her a business proposition. Denies stealing coins from her. Doesn’t recollect the AVO; never received a copy. Denies writing a letter to local court saying he assented to the AVO.

Oct 22 1998- Sally marries at TSS- Marion didn’t attend.

July 20 2001- Sally's first child born

March 6, 2002- Son, Owen, dies at 27 years old.

2002- Crimestoppers caller says a woman called Marion who was missing from northern nsw was killed and buried in bushland near Armidale.

April 15 2003- Salvation Army begins new search, instigated by Sally.

July 1 2003- Jack Wilson, Marion's father, dies.

2010- Gary Sheehan investigates in Armidale- SES, dog in Armidale. Followed up at an address in Armidale. Address real, name not- people at the house had no idea.

Feb 7 2006- Salvation Army unable to locate Marion

2007- Marion’s passport expired

2007- Sally contacts AFP missing persons unit. AFP going to use Marion’s case for missing persons week, but NSW police asked them not for investigative reasons.

July 6 2007- Sally had NSW police unit changed to missing from occurrence

July 11 2007- officer in NSW missing person unit sent email confirmed that status had been changed.

July 27 2007- NSW inspector to AFP- Marion was spoken with in last month.

August 2007- email to AFP- shows that Marion was not spoken to in the last month.

2009- Gary Sheehan takes on Marion’s case.

2010- Sally makes statement to police- prior to disappearance, Sally called her mother at Lesley’s, but Lesley thought that Marion was staying with Sally. Lesley said that her mother had also comeback very late on night, saying she had locked her keys in the car. (I assume this is after she has sold the house, before she left).

May 15 2011- NSW police inform Chris (Sally’s husband) that Marion had changed her name prior to leaving. Gary Sheehan went to Sally’s house to tell her about the change in name on her passport.

October 2011- Marion noted as “located”

December 2011- Apparently Sally is told that Marion was removed from the missing person- which Sally disputes.

2012- Gary Sheehan has Marion removed from listing as a missing person. (This is confusing)

July 23 2013- Clark Hunter messages on facebook- Natalia is alive but you will never see her again. It was not her intention to disappear, she was forced.

The Lady Vanishes podcasts

January 2022 Inquest
Is Clark hunter an alias?

Great summary Estelle- thanks

Might be worth adding that RB/FdH was married to DdH in 1976, unsure when this relationship ended but they did have 2 children together, the last being born in 1981. Need to re listen to todays evidence about the safe deposit box, …

Edited- have just listened back and the safe custody envelope and box in 1997 and 2005-2007 were paid for by a joint account in both their names but only RB/FdH had access
Someone with surname DeH graduated from RMIT in Victoria in around 2004.

I don't remember SeaWorld at all

Marion obviously told RB stuff as she would have thought this a genuine relationship, but I guess they have to figure out what was public knowledge and what wasn't, to try and isolate fact from fiction in his original statement
Owen worked there for a while I think.

I did last year look into the possibility that Marion and any perpetrator travelled to the Hook of Holland on the Harwich Ferry. Marion kept mentioning in her postcards she was going to travel to Amsterdam, Holland. Don’t forget Marion supposedly hired a car in the UK. If these ferries travel at night what’s to stop any perpetrator throwing Marion overboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CP95