Australia Australia - Marion Barter, 51, missing after trip to UK, June 1997 #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Was it not Marion who came back to Australia, but a look alike, who had stolen her purse to begin with.

In that case I believe something happened to Marion overseas.

If it was her who came back, maybe she got suspicious of something, came back earlier than the other person planned and tried to get all her money out of the bank, because she'd grown suspicious of the other person and realised that somehow they might be able to access her money, having stolen all her ID etc.
And then something happened to her here, in Australia before she had a chance to get the police involved or had a chance to contact family.

There is still the issue of the phone call from Marion, was it not established that it could not have been made from the uk (?) it would have put her in Japan (?) so if the phone call is correct she must have at least been halfway home.

I wish we knew what she was thinking, if it was her removing the money, was she still "in love" at that time

There is still the issue of the phone call from Marion, was it not established that it could not have been made from the uk (?) it would have put her in Japan (?) so if the phone call is correct she must have at least been halfway home.

I wish we knew what she was thinking, if it was her removing the money, was she still "in love" at that time
What if she was told to wait for him in the UK like JO? Then a look-alike travels back to Australia and something terrible happens to Marion while she's still over there.

Was the luggage meant to be picked up by a look alike ?
Were there more valuable things in the luggage than just clothes.
Maybe a secret compartment ?
My thoughts exactly there w
My mother-in-law is just like the witness, it would never occur to her to question ANYTHING, especially if a man tells her to do something, it pains me to no end.

Some people have little going on in their head, I must say it would be quit nice sometimes, I have never seen my mother-in-law stressed, ever.

I do love her but I find it really odd
I think it’s an age/generational thing. Especially women that had husbands who took care of everything then they are on their own. So tend to trust people the same way they trusted their spouse.

My mother-in-law is just like the witness, it would never occur to her to question ANYTHING, especially if a man tells her to do something, it pains me to no end.

Some people have little going on in their head, I must say it would be quit nice sometimes, I have never seen my mother-in-law stressed, ever.

My mum is about the same age as JO and got scammed last week over the phone. It was a remote access scam and unfortunately she gave them lots of info before she realised.

Has anyone tried searching for personal ads in Trove under the other aliases?

Yes I tried briefly. Couldn't find anything but will look again. Someone needs to physically check Gold Coast Bulletin which he mentioned in his statement according to Day 1 inquest - he said Marion put one in there

Edit: GCB has to be checked physically at library because copies from 1990s aren't available digitally yet

What if she was told to wait for him in the UK like JO? Then a look-alike travels back to Australia and something terrible happens to Marion while she's still over there.

True but they would need 3 people as he returned a few days before her, and her double would be on the flight, someone had to harm Marion so they need a 3rd. (?)

I wish we had some evidence of that phone call and timing, that could make a big difference to the possibilities

My mum is about the same age as JO and got scammed last week over the phone. It was a remote access scam and unfortunately she gave them lots of info before she realised.

sorry :-( that's so stressful for you both.

We really worry about my MIL getting caught out, it's so hard when they think everyone has good intentions, shows how good a person they are really.

The UK Missing Persons Unit has a database of people who have been found (dead) but never identified. You can search by sex and ethnicity.

There are no unidentified remains of a white woman who would have been in her 50s in 1997. I think she definitely returned to Australia in August 1997 and something happened to her there.

I’m 99% sure it was Marion who came back due to the incoming passenger card handwriting matching hers.
We found out at the inquest last year that she could only withdraw the money in max. daily amounts without getting penalized for interest. Possibly she thought she could withdraw from England but found out she couldn’t given the account type it was.
I’m thinking she came back and withdrew the money slowly and the person she was with killed her for a large sum of money. That person decided it was an easier option given the circumstances with no one knowing he was with her. If she went to the cops it would all be revealed and was worried about prison time given his history and the high $ involved. Just easier to hit her on the head and bury her in the bush.
I’m just glad for Sally that she is so much closer to the truth now. Further to go and hopefully some justice. It’s just heartbreaking for Sally and her family.

I honestly couldn’t agree more with this, it’s so wrong that it’s been 20 odd years and it’s taken Sally’s unrelenting efforts and a podcast and sleuths online worldwide to finally get to this point.
I haven’t watched the recording of the inquest but would be curious to know what brought this chap to their attention, was it the flight records or something else?
I think there must be more victims after JO 1999-2000. Has anyone found anything?

Was the luggage meant to be picked up by a look alike ?
Were there more valuable things in the luggage than just clothes.
Maybe a secret compartment ?
My thoughts exactly there w

I think it’s an age/generational thing. Especially women that had husbands who took care of everything then they are on their own. So tend to trust people the same way they trusted their spouse.
The UK Missing Persons Unit has a database of people who have been found (dead) but never identified. You can search by sex and ethnicity.

There are no unidentified remains of a white woman who would have been in her 50s in 1997. I think she definitely returned to Australia in August 1997 and something happened to her there.
Yes I agree I think she returned as well.

I really hope that everything that’s been made public this week flushes out some of our man’s other victims, he sounds a pro at this and there’s likely many more.
With regards to Marion, I’ve always felt that it’s possible she was ashamed after another failed marriage or (as it appears) being fleeced by a con man, and potentially took her own life as she couldn’t face her family. Nothing to support that, just my opinion.

I’m 99% sure it was Marion who came back due to the incoming passenger card handwriting matching hers.
We found out at the inquest last year that she could only withdraw the money in max. daily amounts without getting penalized for interest. Possibly she thought she could withdraw from England but found out she couldn’t given the account type it was.
I’m thinking she came back and withdrew the money slowly and the person she was with killed her for a large sum of money. That person decided it was an easier option given the circumstances with no one knowing he was with her. If she went to the cops it would all be revealed and was worried about prison time given his history and the high $ involved. Just easier to hit her on the head and bury her in the bush.
I’m just glad for Sally that she is so much closer to the truth now. Further to go and hopefully some justice. It’s just heartbreaking for Sally and her family.

I agree - I believe she came home

I think she completed the incoming passenger card

I think the Bank did ID her and were confident it was her

with both the women at the trial he didn't really get a huge amount off them ( he was after their house or the money from their house), I don't think either of those scams went to plan, who knows how it would have ended if it had.

I love the fact JO was home from the UK when he turned up on her doorstep, only now she realizes why he had a surprise look on his face. That made my day and possible saved her life, I think he gave up after that. He had her title deeds and power of attorney he could have cashed up while he thought he had ditched her in the UK, ... what would have happened after that ??

Last edited:
I agree - I believe she came home

I think she completed the incoming passenger card

I think the Bank did ID her and were confident it was her

with both the women at the trial he didn't really get a huge amount off them ( he was after their house or the money from their house), I don't think either of those scams went to plan, who knows how it would have ended if it had.

I love the fact JO was home from the UK when he turned up on her doorstep, only now she realizes why he had a surprise look on his face. That made my day and possible saved her life, I think he gave up after that. He had her title deeds and power of attorney he could have cashed up while he thought he had ditched her in the UK, ... what would have happened after that ??

Yes I think he was expecting to show up at her place with her house keys, thinking she was probably still in the UK, and either planned to take everything of value he could, or, sell the house!!!
I think this lady is lucky to be alive

Just trying to work it out backwards... it seems RB's intention was to leave JO in Manchester, and go back to Aus alone (or with a blonde accomplice?) to transfer JO's home and assets to himself, then possibly depart Aus, then reenter on another name, just to shake off the trail. Something like that, right?

So we can assume he did something similar with Marion? But he did Marion's scam first. The difference is he made her change her name to his so that he could presumably withdraw her cash from UK and leave Marion overseas. But it didn't work and he was forced to bring Marion back to Aus. There's a lot of compelling evidence that she did return. But who knows, this case is full of surprises.

I agree that the FNMR name issue is going to be the clincher and what undoes him. There's no good way out of it.

I still don't get the suitcase business though. Casselden made a point of highlighting that RB put a bag of his into the suitcase JO was storing in Amsterdam.

Another thing that I’m trying to understand with ‘man of many names’ is the deed poll changes. Which we know some were as he has passport in one and def a drivers licence in the FR name. So the law according to google in nsw is you can change it a maximum of 3 times in your lifetime. Qld law all I can find is you can change it once every year. So my point is… FR was a qld drivers licence.. and we know that can be done yearly if you want. Earlier in this thread someone mentioned electoral rolls in NSW were they 1 name or different names? My point being it may have been changed the maximum time for NSW. Meaning any further names would be qld or other states?? Considering the close proximity to qld border makes me think that perhaps the names that do have proper legal change.. were done there. It’s also interesting that qld law states… you can’t change your name for fraud purposes… in this case I’m honestly believing that was the only reason for name changes. Scam… move on, new name… repeat. But generally thinking scammers are scammers so based on the history records from Belgium in the 60’s - 72 I assume there would be loads of various scams some big some small but I don’t believe all to be just involving women. Hoping more come forward of any aspect to further prove dodgy character.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
musicmusette