Australia Australia - Marion Barter, 51, missing after trip to UK, June 1997 #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if Blum is abbreviated version for Belgium ? And Rick, Ric or Rich is abbreviated version of a city, town or village in Belgium that has significance to the said person ?

Good point! He has a history of using parts of previous names, like going from Richard Westbury to Ric West to Ric Rich. I think this has to do with how he forges documents.

I've seen people make legitimate errors and accidentally give themselves an alias... like leaving parts of the word off a photocopy, or a certificate making a typo, or an official mistaking middle name for last and mixing up maternal and paternal surnames. RB seems to take advantage of all this.

Blum could be short for Blumberg or any number of things. There's an NAA file that has all the 1967 incoming passenger cards for Blum and all the variations.

Edit, here they are:
Blum
Blume
Blumberg
Blumaveri
Blumann
Blumenstein
Blumenthal
Blumer
Blumink
Blumoser
Blumson

Last edited by a moderator:
Arthur Boyd was the other one.

There is a Press Reader link, but when I go to it, it's not letting me see the article.

PressReader.com - Digital Newspaper & Magazine Subscriptions › australia › the-australian-w...
23 May 2019 — In 1997, devoted teacher and mother Marion Barter was on a dream ... She owned paintings by Norman Lindsay and Arthur and Jamie Boyd, ...

No where could I look online for the Mount Tambourine air bnbs, I’m not familiar with art, I’m assuming air bnbs is (Airbnb) ? Thanks
https://agreatertown.com/australia_un/4br_house_vacation_rental_in_mount_tambourine_qld_0002668082

Just click in here and scroll down , mind you it reminded me how the other half live and
how many elite looking places must be set up for holiday "homes " let alone the many average "homes " for tourism ..although as your scrolling there is one i could afford maybe hahaha

Hi all, I've been following along for a while but haven't posted. I had a good search on ABN Lookup using the H surname mentioned live in the inquest (trying not to say much here). It's a worthwhile search under a few different names and be sure to click "all ABNs" so you can see the cancelled ones. There's only one person with the H surname and they have an additional middle name I haven't seen here yet.

Last edited:
Hi all, I've been following along for a while but haven't posted. I had a good search on ABN Lookup using the H surname mentioned live in the inquest (trying not to say much here). It's a worthwhile search under a few different names and be sure to click "all ABNs" so you can see the cancelled ones. There's only one person with the H surname and they have an additional middle name I haven't seen here yet.

It's the son. The daughter's name is also public, but we're staying away from sleuthing the children.

OMG!! That is him!!! Now in the USA, drug trafficking hard drugs and big money! Must have gotten too hot so he gets to Aus and tries to stay quiet (eg fleece older ladies not smuggle hard drugs)
I don’t think it is as age is out… but have to say I did a omg when I read it. It doesn’t say what happened to him after that though

Note it’s not on Willy but is on Belgium this is from 1969
No, in Belgium no circles on letters. Some people personalise their writing (less or more curls, circles instead of dots,…)
The ‘G’ in ‘Belgium’ is also different than how the manority of people write in Belgium…
I wonder if Blum is abbreviated version for Belgium ? And Rick, Ric or Rich is abbreviated version of a city, town or village in Belgium that has significance to the said person ?
don’t know if this helps, but the Belgian/Dutch version of this name is ‘Rik’, ‘Erik’. Ric is not at all common in Belgium…

I'm a bit overwhelmed on here by all of the separate identities that have been used etc. and to be honest I'm staying away from digging into all of that too deeply because I'm not sure it tells us that much about what happened to Marion. I'm enjoying reading all the info you've unearthed, though!

I've been thinking about what I said re: Marion potentially realising something was wrong and returning of her own volition to check it out, but now I have doubts about that. If it really was her that filled out the return passenger card, which all indications suggest that it was, the info leans more towards her being blinded by some kind of scheme. She either genuinely believed that they were going to be living in Lux or lied for some reason, both of which suggest to me that she was still being duped at that point.

One thing that I really can't get over and always sticks out to me is that she lists herself as 'married' on her return passenger card. We are fairly certain, from all of our research, that it would have been impossible for her to have married FR within the limited timeframe she spent out of Aus, no matter where they travelled in the interim. This is due to complications and time with applications for marriage licences etc., and it's pretty much set in stone that this would not have been legally achievable.

Why are there such major differences in the occupation/residence she lists on her outgoing card and incoming card? This is a crucial point to me, because I do believe that she did this.

Did they have some kind of marriage ceremony somewhere that was not legal (but she believed it to be so)? Was this listed for other reasons? He couldn't have married her legally anyway because he was already married, so what was his game plan? If it was to gain access to her assets, this seems like a very poor way to do it because it would never have been recognised by the courts. If it was to convince her to set up a joint account with him elsewhere, with the understanding that they were married, there must be a paper trail of the money suddenly being in an account he had access to.

Why did they go to England in the first place? We know he did this with JO, but in JO's case this was to get her out of the country so that he could return and access her funds. If the date Marion returned was a date they had mutually planned, this cannot have been the case.
I also doubt he could have accessed her banking without her, so this could all have been done within Australia. There seems to have been no need for them to go to England. It only adds further complications, unless it was part of a larger scheme. Even if it was to create some time and distance between Marion and her family, there must have been easier ways to do this.

The cogs involved in this scheme are monumental and numerous, and it would have been to his benefit to keep things as simple (and easy to remember) as possible. Obviously his plan worked, so we can't fault its operations to some extent, but so much of it seems...messy (if that makes any sense?)

I'm just thinking aloud here, but I think these kinds of questions are the lynchpin of the case.

Last edited:
I'm a bit overwhelmed on here by all of the separate identities that have been used etc. and to be honest I'm staying away from digging into all of that too deeply because I'm not sure it tells us that much about what happened to Marion. I'm enjoying reading all the info you've unearthed, though!

I've been thinking about what I said re: Marion potentially realising something was wrong and returning of her own volition to check it out, but now I have doubts about that. If it really was her that filled out the return passenger card, which all indications suggest that it was, the info leans more towards her being blinded by some kind of scheme. She either genuinely believed that they were going to be living in Lux or lied for some reason, both of which suggest to me that she was still being duped at that point.

One thing that I really can't get over and always sticks out to me is that she lists herself as 'married' on her return passenger card. We are fairly certain, from all of our research, that it would have been impossible for her to have married FR within the limited timeframe she spent out of Aus, no matter where they travelled in the interim. This is due to complications and time with applications for marriage licences etc., and it's pretty much set in stone that this would not have been legally achievable.

Why are there such major differences in the occupation/residence she lists on her outgoing card and incoming card? This is a crucial point to me, because I do believe that she did this.

Did they have some kind of marriage ceremony somewhere that was not legal (but she believed it to be so)? Was this listed for other reasons? He couldn't have married her legally anyway because he was already married, so what was his game plan? If it was to gain access to her assets, this seems like a very poor way to do it because it would never have been recognised by the courts. If it was to convince her to set up a joint account with him elsewhere, with the understanding that they were married, there must be a paper trail of the money suddenly being in an account he had access to.

Why did they go to England in the first place? We know he did this with JO, but in JO's case this was to get her out of the country so that he could return and access her funds. If the date Marion returned was a date they had mutually planned, this cannot have been the case.
I also doubt he could have accessed her banking without her, so this could all have been done within Australia. There seems to have been no need for them to go to England. It only adds further complications, unless it was part of a larger scheme. Even if it was to create some time and distance between Marion and her family, there must have been easier ways to do this.

The cogs involved in this scheme are monumental and numerous, and it would have been to his benefit to keep things as simple (and easy to remember) as possible. Obviously his plan worked, so we can't fault its operations to some extent, but so much of it seems...messy (if that makes any sense?)

I'm just thinking aloud here, but I think these kinds of questions are the lynchpin of the case.

is there 2 cons/ scams going on here, is the travel possible linked to drug smuggling ? I know it is very far fetched to have multiple reasons but the bags in the luggage holds seems like a coincidence that both Marion and Jo mentioned using these and that RB came back on a different flights before them.

wondering if any Australian women got caught with drugs coming back from Europe on the 90's

I agree that it was Marion whom came back and she was still under his spell, not suspicious of him at this point and doing what she was told willingly

I think he probably has more victims in the UK

That point has always intrigued me why it shows on the Passenger card Marion was married on her “return” to Australia under the name Remakel.

JOs statement to Police dated 13 Jan 2000 shows they travelled to Sussex (looking for a rental property) before moving onto Dover in Kent. I am also intrigued as to why Sussex seems to play a part in both cases?

I wondered if there was a marriage in Japan?

scroll to paragraph 3 it says couple can be married the same day they apply Getting married in Japan: A complete guide - Wise, formerly TransferWise

I wondered if there was a marriage in Japan?

scroll to paragraph 3 it says couple can be married the same day they apply Getting married in Japan: A complete guide - Wise, formerly TransferWise

That makes a lot of sense to me. Records should be checked for that. If so, will he be charged for bigamy?

If you are charged with bigamy under the Marriage Act, you could face a maximum penalty of 5 years imprisonment. In contrast, the maximum penalty for bigamy under the Crimes Act is 7 years imprisonment.

All good points.

You're right about it not making sense to go to England then return with Marion, when he could have done it in Aus, especially as his MO is getting his victims overseas and leaving them there while he returns to steal from them in Aus.

Many on here have speculated that he might've made Marion change her name to one of his aliases (FNMR) so he could withdraw her money from her UK account. But she didn't transfer all of the house sale money, just $20,000 so he was forced to take her back to Aus to steal the full amount ($100,000+).

Or he left Marion in the UK and returned with an accomplice using the FNMR alias and together they stole her $100,000+.

I am also not discounting the idea Marion was being blackmailed or told her life was in danger and had to do these things... that she knew something was very wrong but had to follow his instructions for the sake of her life and her kids, and all their reputations.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why did Marion put "married, housewife in Luxembourg" if all her postcards were from England and she was only staying three days here? That sounds like something he would dream up to me.

he must have told her that they were only back for X days to tied up finances etc...

Maybe he told her that he had located a private school to be purchased in the UK and they came back for the money to purchase it ... which would go with his other claim that she was wanting to buy her own school

he must have told her that they were only back for X days to tied up finances etc...

Maybe he told her that he had located a private school to be purchased in the UK and they came back for the money to purchase it ... which would go with his other claim that she was wanting to buy her own school

Yes I agree with the buying of a school idea. But why did she put housewife in Luxembourg on her arrivals card?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CP95