Australia Australia - Marion Barter, 51, missing after trip to UK, June 1997 #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't remember it, but maybe I did miss it ?

Re Podcasts. I find it much easier to search transcripts, rather than having to go and relisten to something, that's if you can even narrow it down to which episode something might have been mentioned on.

Did we know about Seaworld? I don't recall hearing about it before but I may have just dismissed it as an inconsequential detail.

I don't remember it, but maybe I did miss it ?

Re Podcasts. I find it much easier to search transcripts, rather than having to go and relisten to something, that's if you can even narrow it down to which episode something might have been mentioned on.

I don't remember SeaWorld at all

Marion obviously told RB stuff as she would have thought this a genuine relationship, but I guess they have to figure out what was public knowledge and what wasn't, to try and isolate fact from fiction in his original statement

I know we've talked a lot about travel from the UK to Luxembourg in the late 90s - but Luxembourg is now a total red herring.

Hi

I'm new here, but have been following this case since the TLV podcast started.

Regarding Luxembourg, I think it's still possible there could be a connection to that country.
I've had a look at the National Archives file, and I think it's mentioned that RB was arrested in Luxembourg in 1976-77, and that he lived there in 1981. One of his children was also born in Luxembourg.
Perhaps he still had connections to Luxembourg in 1997 and access to a house. And maybe he chose the FR alias because he had heard of that name when he lived there.

Hi

I'm new here, but have been following this case since the TLV podcast started.

Regarding Luxembourg, I think it's still possible there could be a connection to that country.
I've had a look at the National Archives file, and I think it's mentioned that RB was arrested in Luxembourg in 1976-77, and that he lived there in 1981. One of his children was also born in Luxembourg.
Perhaps he still had connections to Luxembourg in 1997 and access to a house. And maybe he chose the FR alias because he had heard of that name when he lived there.

Agree - there must be some connection to the real FNR - wouldn't surprise me if he stole his documents at some stage to use later for another alias, because I assume he needed something in way of documents to get a QLD drivers license in that name. would be interested to know the DOB on that drivers license that would be key to know if he was in fact impersonating the real FNR. He is a true conman so would have likely taken on the real FNR persona right down to living in Luxembourg. By using a mirror of FNR's life did actual work ( for awhile) because we have all been chasing the wrong guy

I think the real FNR is a victim here and not just a coincidence that someone used the same / similar name to him.

I couldn't quite make out the middle name RB was using as FNR ?

I don't remember SeaWorld at all

Marion obviously told RB stuff as she would have thought this a genuine relationship, but I guess they have to figure out what was public knowledge and what wasn't, to try and isolate fact from fiction in his original statement

interesting that he would still remember these bits of info from all those years ago. I’m less than half his age and don’t remember the late 90s that well! He’s 83 and has had at least one similar relationship since then. Maybe he kept notes about these women to help with the scam.

There were questions asked about Northern Gold Coast region. Not sure if it is relevant but some of the archives paperwork makes mention that he resided in Linning St Mt Warren Park and also at Tamborine. At times, both of these could be considered northern Gold Coast at a stretch.

The national archives are quite interesting. Two things from there. Seems he was married (initials IK)just before arriving in AU to a woman to travelled to AU a few days apart from when he traveled in 69. Could have been another victim but traveling into not out of AU?

Also noticed in list of criminal records fraud related to conning people out of furniture/home goods BUT also some rare books around 76/77. This would coincide with him living in Lux. FR owned a bookstore with his ex wife around that time. Perhaps they connected through RB trying to unload stolen books. Out there connection I know, but this was before you could look up value of books on internet possible they met one another and RB took a liking to the name.

Thanks for the update Estelle. Are they hearing evidence in closed court, or just resuming at 2 pm today?

I was there on livestream when they said that there were many applications to go through this morning so court will be closed until 2pm today. You have to move the thingy along to miss the gaps. A previous victim of RB's, a police officer and Sally will be on at 2pm.

I was there on livestream when they said that there were many applications to go through this morning so court will be closed until 2pm today. You have to move the thingy along to miss the gaps. A previous victim of RB's, a police officer and Sally will be on at 2pm.

thanks!

below is the location referred to in the inquest in relation to the question to Sally. - Do you know if your mother was looking for property in Iluka

Iluka - is a small village at the mouth of the Clarence River in north-eastern New South Wales, Australia. It is situated directly across the river from the resort town of Yamba. At the 2016 census, Iluka had a population of 1,718 people. The town's name is derived from an Aboriginal word meaning "near the sea".

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member