Australia Australia - Marion Barter, 51, missing after trip to UK, June 1997 #6

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
So he reported this woman to DOCS for her conduct regarding her childcare business. And Marion had reports of touching children.

His MO seems like he makes his victims so uncomfortable in their jobs that they feel compelled to quit, sell their homes and leave.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think there is a purpose behind some of the questioning by Counsel Assisting that comes across as hostile or as pointlessly detailed. One of the purposes of a coronial inquest is to find out what may have gone wrong in official processes and procedures and for the Coroner to make recommendations for regulatory and policy changes to avoid it happening again. Clearly there were records that should have been better kept and investigations that should have been done better in this case. From the questioning of the police officers and Sally, he has elicited that running sheets weren't kept, that names of enquirers were not specified, that there was detail lost or mis-represented. I expect that recommendations might include that more detail be kept, that running sheets be digitised and retained, that the names and contact details of everyone spoken to (like the bank teller) in a missing persons investigation should be recorded and retained, etc.

This current questioning is pretty intrusive too, I understand the general reasons for it, but this level of detail, publically, seems hard.

It is very uncomfortable to watch and must be awful for the witness. It definitely helps prove a pattern of behaviour of the man they're talking about, especially of shaming and humiliating women so they find it difficult to report his behaviour.

I’m a bit disappointed with todays stream.
The way Sally was being questioned, and then the way Ginette Gaffney-Bowan was being questioned.. It made me want to hug her.
I don’t think feeling as though you might have been drugged means you gave consent!

He does seem to move fast. Makes me wonder if Marion met him from 1994 FR ad but their relationship was more inconsistent across several years — or if in fact she met him some other way (maybe another ad that isnt on trove) closer to 1997.

I’m also confused about how his plan plays out when a woman agrees to sell her house and move to Paris/Uk? He obviously isn’t actually getting them a place in Paris/UK. Where are all the victims? He must have many.

interesting that he would still remember these bits of info from all those years ago. I’m less than half his age and don’t remember the late 90s that well! He’s 83 and has had at least one similar relationship since then. Maybe he kept notes about these women to help with the scam.

Or, as has been suggested, he has listened to the podcast.

Not sure what they're trying to get at ?
I think they’re setting the baseline of various events that have taken place over decades to different people and what authorities have noted and cross examining this information before cementing it all. ie trying to marrying up so many different pieces of information coming in from tangled paths. Said person has woven himself into a corner from how I have understood todays day 3 inquest.

That would be Willy selling it?
Also, not sure if relevant and not sure if I can post links. If you google “world coins lot 1627” it seems there are some collectors coins that were auctioned and MC named as the person who was sellings grandmother - not sure if it’s definitely her but found it interesting to see that name after the story of the woman who was conned out of the coins and money for the coin business etc

edit: sorry lot 1627

Not sure what they're trying to get at ?
I think they’re setting the baseline of various events that have taken place over decades to different people and what authorities have noted and cross examining this information before cementing it all. ie trying to marrying up so many different pieces of information coming in from tangled paths. Said person has woven himself into a corner from how I have understood todays day 3 inquest.
Select Page 165 on this file from the NAA – it's a very good read.

It details his movements... entering Aus in 1969 and being approved for citizenship in 1976. Interpol came looking in 1980 so Brisbane police finally realised he had a long police record in Belgium.

And in the period between his arrival in Aus in 69, the citizenship approval in 76 and the Interpol/Brisbane police investigation in 1980, he had left and reentered several times undetected as he was using aliases and different passports. Including earning new police charges in Europe and spending time in jail in France!!!

As he did not disclose any of this on his arrival in Aus or citizenship papers, they believe his citizenship was obtained fraudulently and officials considered revoking citizenship. Not sure of the outcome, obviously he was still in and out of Australia after 1980.

Do you know what year officials considered revoking his Aus citizenship ?

I’m a bit disappointed with todays stream.
The way Sally was being questioned, and then the way Ginette Gaffney-Bowan was being questioned.. It made me want to hug her.
I don’t think feeling as though you might have been drugged means you gave consent!

To me it sounded like G was expressing to the LC of being heavily coerced by the said man, she did use the word harassed/harassment - correct me if i have made an error.

Do you know what year officials considered revoking his Aus citizenship ?
The investigation file was open from 1980-89.
Interesting in that document, they could find a record of him returning to Australia between when he left in 1970 and when he applied for citizenship within Australia in 1976. Must have had at least a couple of passports in different names.

The investigation file was open from 1980-89.
Interesting in that document, they could find a record of him returning to Australia between when he left in 1970 and when he applied for citizenship within Australia in 1976. Must have had at least a couple of passports in different names.

Probably has multiple alias overseas too, how on earth did he manage to keep above all this for this long ? It's almost unbelievable, unless there were others involved at different times ? This said person reminds me a little of conartist Frank Abignale the film (catch me if you can) was based on him..

From paywalled article in Daily Telegraph today:

“His general conduct, particularly wanting me to sell my house, really frightened me,” she told the court.

Mr Casselden read from Ms Gaffney-Bowan’s statement which said she believed Mr de Hedervary could “easily emotionally destabilise as well as financially ruin a person without any care”.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...dynamic-hot-test-score&V21spcbehaviour=append

I suspect this happened to MB.

Some interesting observations from today's line of questioning.

Despite not remembering it, the ad in Le Courier for a 'creche France' was likely placed by Ginette. I found two in Trove, one in March 1999 and the other a year earlier. I think Casselden was making a point that this ad together with her 'seeking a friend' ad could show she was an 'independent woman of means' and made her a target to RB who we know also reads Le Courier.

I too was confused at her insistence it was not a sexual or romantic relationship. Yet I believe her. Perhaps this line of questioning is to show that RB would defraud anyone, including friends and associates. The NAA papers include victims names that are male and business related. Essentially, his victims are NOT simply women he's in a relationship with who willingly share their money with him. This is an important distinction.

Further to that, in the NAA papers, there's a medical document that has a handwritten scribble saying he's had some spinal surgery that has healed well. A google search reveals spinal surgery can sometimes cause erectile dysfunction. So Ginette revealing he was impotent and had a blue pee pee is very interesting.

This is all important to refute RB's story that he was in a romantic relationship with Marion (I think most of us question the truth of the first encounter anyway), and that Marion was not simply running away to marry a man to share her life and money with. The point is that he was very much coercing her as a fraud, not a lover.

Can't say this is what is actually happening of course, it's just my observations.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member