Australia Australia - Marion Barter, 51, missing after trip to UK, June 1997 #7

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The inquest hasn’t finished yet nor the podcast so I suspect at some stage it will be addressed. And to be honest who’s to say an apology has not been made privately. We dont know if the man of many names knew the real FR or vice versa. So let’s wait snd see. At the time of going to Belgium that was the only Remakel. And if it was my mum I’d have done exactly the same thing. I’m sure it will be addressed at the appropriate time.

In my opinion, the accusations were made publicly so any apology should be made publicly also.

well said Puzzel - I don't get why they don't get it .. Sally of all people would know what its like to live with untruths in your life that others believe !!! it's devastating for people, and obviously good people. She seems to dismiss it as a means to an end, and that is not nice, and taints my view of her TBH.

I am enjoying the case and thankful they have this result but unfortunately it is bittered by their treatment of the real FR
Totally agree with you KiwiNZ, 100 per cent. Here's what I'd do - firstly a sincere apology at the resumption of the podcast - and heck, I'd have a huge hamper and flowers delivered to FR and his partner. I'd have someone official go and explain the whole sorry saga and how it got to that point. Along with the hamper would be all the names of podcast followers who want to contribute and offer an apology. A disclaimer would be on the podcast episodes vindicating FR or better still totally remove said episodes (but that aint gonna happen). If I could get him on another podcast episode to clear his name, yep, would do that too - could prove tricky though! Just a few thoughts. I'll shut up about it now and move on ;)

I feel turning up at Remakel house in Luxembourg was a Channel 7 producer’s idea. This is not just a podcast but it’s partly filmed and shown on nightly news, on a channel that has a long history of tabloid sensationalism and using exploitative methods to capture footage (and not capture depth of story).

If you want an apology, your best bet is to contact Channel 7:
Seven Network PO Box 7077, Alexandria, Sydney NSW 2015
Telephone (02) 8777 7777 / Text 0438 777 123

They’re the one’s who needed the trip to Luxembourg footage, and Alison is at the mercy of her bosses, just like everyone else. The alternative is, she could’ve left like Bryan did. Realistically speaking, a public apology is unlikely as that would admit wrongdoing... they don't typically apologise for anything unless they are forced to after a defamation lawsuit.

Personally, I think a full team showing up in Luxembourg with Sally, cameras and microphones was dangerous and stupid… Among other things, I cannot believe they asked Sally to face the man who allegedly did something to her mum, on camera without police present. There. Are. May. Other. Ways. To. Do. It. But that’s what you get on ch7 :(

Last edited by a moderator:
well said Puzzel - I don't get why they don't get it .. Sally of all people would know what its like to live with untruths in your life that others believe !!! it's devastating for people, and obviously good people. She seems to dismiss it as a means to an end, and that is not nice, and taints my view of her TBH.

I am enjoying the case and thankful they have this result but unfortunately it is bittered by their treatment of the real FR

I do tend to agree , however ,

Just adding a thought : Sorry is always the hardest word ;
once you say sorry your admitting responsibility and accountability of harm ; potentially it leaves you open to having to act , not only morally but also in the eyes of the Law .

I feel turning up at Remakel house in Luxembourg was a Channel 7 producer’s idea. This is not just a podcast but it’s partly filmed and shown on nightly news, on a channel that has a long history of being tabloid sensationalist and using exploitative methods to capture footage (and not capture depth of story).

If you want an apology, your best bet is to contact Channel 7:
Seven Network PO Box 7077, Alexandria, Sydney NSW 2015
Telephone (02) 8777 7777 / Text 0438 777 123

They’re the one’s who needed the trip to Luxembourg footage, and Alison is at the mercy of her bosses, just like everyone else. The alternative is, she could’ve left like Bryan did. It would be imprudent for the podcast and ch7 to publicly apologise as that would admit wrongdoing. And ch7 don’t typically apologise for anything unless they are forced to after a defamation lawsuit.

Personally, I think a full team showing up in Luxembourg with Sally, cameras and microphones was dangerous and stupid… Among other things, I cannot believe they asked Sally to face the man who allegedly did something to her mum, on camera without police present. There. Are. May. Other. Ways. To. Do. It. But that’s what you get on ch7 :(

Yes my thoughts all long about sensationalist media . I have had to look beyond the idea of marketing peoples lives for profit .

Sometimes the outcomes can out weigh the means

The entries are quite inconsistent. For the live streams that took place 1- 5 Feb, we have Marion Barter aka Florabella Natalia Marion Remakel, but for the 14 to 15 February and 16 to 18 February the name Marion Barter is omitted and only the Remakel name is used.

Live Streams

Tuesday, 1 February 2022 to Friday, 4 February 2022
Inquest into disappearance of Marion Barter aka Florabella Natalia Marion Remakel

Upcoming Inquests

Monday 14 to Tuesday 15 February
Inquest into the disappearance and suspected death of Florabella Natalia Marion REMAKEL

Missing person
Ballina Courthouse
Cnr River & Martin St, Ballina
Courtroom 1 at 10.00 AM
Before Her Honour Magistrate O'Sullivan, State Coroner

Wednesday 16 to Friday 18 February 2022
Inquest into the disappearance and suspected death of Florabella Natalia Marion REMAKEL

Byron Bay Courthouse
Middleton St Byron Bay
Courtroom 1 at 10.00AM
Before Her Honour Magistrate O'Sullivan, State Coroner

For this week they have added "suspected death".

Last edited:
turns out the investigative journalists didn't need to go all the way to Luxembourg, they only had to take a trip to Ballina Library to locate the correct FR, complete fail on their part IMO.

I find this fascinating... you only admit to what evidence they have...

We know RB admitted to placing the Le Courrier ad. And now we know why. Police found the phone number was linked to his FDdH name.

With this logic, I'm really inclined to think police either found Marion's removalist receipt or found some of her belongings connected to him. Because he also admitted to:

- storing Marion's boxes
- having a relationship in 1995 0r 96 but remaining friends until she left in 1997

The second one seems as though he needed a reason to be in her life, that was close but NOT her current lover, that would warrant her leaving boxes at his house.

I wonder why he can't say they were just friends? Or admit he was the 'friend from the arts centre? Is he trying to distance himself from the arts centre and other crimes possibly committed there and across the street at Trenwest?

He also admitted visiting TSS with her to pick up books. This might mean he's afraid there's witnesses who recognised him.

What else has he admitted to?

Last edited by a moderator:
On the latest TLV podcast, the interviewer asked Sally, "Did Marion ever push boundaries and stand up for herself?" Sally replied that her mother "could hold her own".

I found some research on Romance Scams which concluded that more highly educated people were more vulnerable.

Contrary to what was predicted, those who were more highly educated were also more vulnerable to becoming romance scam victims. This result contradicts popular belief that “stupid” people fall for scams. It may be that better educated people are more likely to use dating sites; however, this finding also suggests that being well educated does not necessarily protect individuals from becoming scammed. Fisher, Lea, and Evans11 have suggested that overconfidence can cause individuals to become more vulnerable to scams and it may well be that well-educated people are more confident that they can spot a romance scam. These speculations require future research and are important to consider when developing prevention programs.

I wonder if Marion "held her own" and this led to her demise.

What make me really upset...

is we know there was activity up until the 15 Oct 1997, when the $80k was withdrawn in Ashmore.

Owen's birthday is on the 18 Oct.

Where was Marion that she could not make the call? This just breaks my heart.

And the fact Sally knew something was wrong and went to police on 22 Oct.

She was so close.

It makes me furious.

It looks to me that if Marion really did return to Australia, she met her demise in possibly the Byron Bay/Ballina area between the date of her return and Owen's Birthday.

On the latest TLV podcast, the interviewer asked Sally, "Did Marion ever push boundaries and stand up for herself?" Sally replied that her mother "could hold her own".

I found some research on Romance Scams which concluded that more highly educated people were more vulnerable.

Contrary to what was predicted, those who were more highly educated were also more vulnerable to becoming romance scam victims. This result contradicts popular belief that “stupid” people fall for scams. It may be that better educated people are more likely to use dating sites; however, this finding also suggests that being well educated does not necessarily protect individuals from becoming scammed. Fisher, Lea, and Evans11 have suggested that overconfidence can cause individuals to become more vulnerable to scams and it may well be that well-educated people are more confident that they can spot a romance scam. These speculations require future research and are important to consider when developing prevention programs.

I wonder if Marion "held her own" and this led to her demise.

It’s a really good point that it’s not “stupid” or gullible people who can fall for scams or catfishing. These criminals know how to recognise and exploit vulnerabilities and we ALL have vulnerabilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fales922