Australia Australia - Marion Barter, 51, missing after trip to UK, June 1997 #7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd hazard a guess that anyone who's putting a full surname in a personal ad looking for "love" is up to no good - it already reeks of deceit - add to that a PO Box - h'mm - and add to that an unlisted number (as with Remakel) . I mean, if you put the name Mr Whippy or Sam, fair enough, but to go so far as to give a whole name (which you're obviously going to pass yourself off as) - nah - I think all these ads from back in the day with full names warrant investigation - and once again, great find @ikarka.

Re-listening to earlier episodes of the podcast and didn’t remember this detail but WOW end of episode 3) ~50:30, reading notes from Byron Bay Police Graham Childs says “one possible reason for her behavior is that she has returned to Australia with a companion and has transferred the funds [80k] to England to purchase a property there with a view to move to England.”

The money went overseas!!! So what went into the Ballina security box??!

Wowza. Just listened to The Inquest, ep 8 and 9. Those women! We could make a very long list of similarities to Marion. GGB, the Daycare Woman, gave me chills when she spoke of violence, nude photos, and blackmailing-- and that Blum made allegations of child abuse against her care center. Could Blum have done that to Marion, unbeknownst to her, which prompted her to leave the school? It just all too close to the bone.

Re-listening to earlier episodes of the podcast and didn’t remember this detail but WOW end of episode 3) ~50:30, reading notes from Byron Bay Police Graham Childs says “one possible reason for her behavior is that she has returned to Australia with a companion and has transferred the funds [80k] to England to purchase a property there with a view to move to England.”

The money went overseas!!! So what went into the Ballina security box??!

Isn't that speculation?

Wowza. Just listened to The Inquest, ep 8 and 9. Those women! We could make a very long list of similarities to Marion. GGB, the Daycare Woman, gave me chills when she spoke of violence, nude photos, and blackmailing-- and that Blum made allegations of child abuse against her care center. Could Blum have done that to Marion, unbeknownst to her, which prompted her to leave the school? It just all too close to the bone.

Yes that seems to have been RB's Modus Operandum.

Google didn't exist in the 90's. Big search engines were Alta Vista, Two Cows and Yahoo? There was also a thing called Ask Jeeves. But they were all limited. The world was still transitioning into getting everything online, and even just getting used to using computers for the day to day stuff. The only real social media was myspace and that was mainly for young people and music. Bulletin boards were used to find topics and people of similar interests, but by tech savvy youth. There was no real way to hop online and 'stalk' your date or acquaintances. It's possible RB was making himself websites to reflect the name and business he was pretending to be. Although, would he know how to do it himself ? Or did he need to hire someone to do it?

Question: So in the 90s if you were to google the names he chose, they would turn up as legit and respectable. Did we do that in the 90s? I can't remember!

I'd hazard a guess that anyone who's putting a full surname in a personal ad looking for "love" is up to no good - it already reeks of deceit - add to that a PO Box - h'mm - and add to that an unlisted number (as with Remakel) . I mean, if you put the name Mr Whippy or Sam, fair enough, but to go so far as to give a whole name (which you're obviously going to pass yourself off as) - nah - I think all these ads from back in the day with full names warrant investigation - and once again, great find @ikarka.

Fair point about using full names in lonely hearts ads :) I'm going through them and will make a list of all the ones with full names and PO Boxes.

Re-listening to earlier episodes of the podcast and didn’t remember this detail but WOW end of episode 3) ~50:30, reading notes from Byron Bay Police Graham Childs says “one possible reason for her behavior is that she has returned to Australia with a companion and has transferred the funds [80k] to England to purchase a property there with a view to move to England.” The money went overseas!!! So what went into the Ballina security box??!

Yes, Byron Bay police notes from April 1998 indicate the possibility $80k was wired overseas. But, it's Colonial Ashmore and they do have records that the $80K was withdrawn not transferred. At least not in Marion's name.

So the question is, where did GC get that info from? That note has always been o_O

First, Sally went to Byron and told GC that $5k a day was being taken out of the Byron branch for weeks. She didn't even know about Ashmore $80k.

GC was within walking distance from the Byron bank yet he never responded to that enquiry, but came back with 'she took her Ashmore money and ran off overseas with a man'.

How did he know to contact the Ashmore branch? Yet never followed up with the Byron branch which was the actual inquiry?

Furthermore, Colonial say they never had a securities officer and were never contacted by police. Again, so where did GC get his info from?

Then, I remember Sally should have never known about the Byron bank withdrawals. She only found out because the phone teller broke the rules and told her. So I suspect the story all along for RB was to say that she took her Ashmore cash and left the country. I don't think anyone was ever supposed to know about Byron, it's always been fiercely protected, so I think the answer is in Byron.

The story that was planted and that halted a real investigation, was that Marion, was just a thrice divorced silly elderly woman who ran off with a man without telling her family. Where did that start? GC.

Then, when it became evident that Colonial records showed no transfer overseas, the story changed to "she was sighted" yet no-one can explain by whom.

IMO. Could be way off, it's just speculation. Really keen to hear other perspectives :)

FYI, GC was an officer for 20 years at the time of Marion's disappearance and claims he didn't know missing person's procedure. He left the force five years later and has since worked in sales for retirement village and resort property investment companies.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, Byron Bay police notes from April 1998 indicate the possibility $80k was wired overseas. But, it's Colonial Ashmore and they do have records that the $80K was withdrawn not transferred. At least not in Marion's name.

So the question is, where did GC get that info from? That note has always been o_O

First, Sally went to Byron and told GC that $5k a day was being taken out of the Byron branch for weeks. She didn't even know about Ashmore $80k.

GC was within walking distance from the Byron bank yet he never responded to that enquiry, but came back with 'she took her Ashmore money and ran off overseas with a man'.

How did he know to contact the Ashmore branch? Yet never followed up with the Byron branch which was the actual inquiry?

Furthermore, Colonial say they never had a securities officer and were never contacted by police. Again, so where did GC get his info from?

Then, I remember Sally should have never known about the Byron bank withdrawals. She only found out because the phone teller broke the rules and told her. So I suspect the story all along for RB was to say that she took her Ashmore cash and left the country. I don't think anyone was ever supposed to know about Byron, it's always been fiercely protected, so I think the answer is in Byron.

The story that was planted and that halted a real investigation, was that Marion, was just a thrice divorced silly elderly woman who ran off with a man without telling her family. Where did that start? GC.

Then, when it became evident that Colonial records showed no transfer overseas, the story changed to "she was sighted" yet no-one can explain by whom.

IMO. Could be way off, it's just speculation. Really keen to hear other perspectives :)

FYI, GC was an officer for 20 years at the time of Marion's disappearance and claims he didn't know missing person's procedure. He left the force five years later and has since worked in sales for retirement village and resort property investment companies.
Wonder if he worked with Blum family, timeshare, real estate, ? Anything is possible

I searched the business address on the company we found with 3 people.. the other 2 were fired and now only 1 person RdH

it is an apartment building 46 is building number

Bien sur Realo

It also lists business at this address - note business RB

BLUM, RIC - BE 0858.473.358 | Business and financial data | Bizzy

Investment property
Plot width 15m
Plot depth 43m
Contact details 50°50'17.5"N 4°23' 54.9"E
Number of facades Terraced house
Companies The following companies are established: at this address
BLUM, RIC
Since 01/10/1968

Rue des Francs 46, 1040 Etterbeek

1f1e7-1f1ea.png
BE 0858.473.358

I searched the business address on the company we found with 3 people.. the other 2 were fired and now only 1 person RdH

it is an apartment building 46 is building number

Bien sur Realo

It also lists business at this address - note business RB

What is the go with the bottom story window being blocked out by what looks like a type of published paper notices ?
Google Maps

I was looking at the address yesterday , thanks for this Eye spy i ran out of time and then forgot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member