Australia Australia - Marion Barter, 51, missing after trip to UK, June 1997 #8

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
In which decade/s is he receiving all this money from family?

I have a gut instinct that he is going to just blow this freight train up and say "whatever you have on me I did it, including my involvement in MB case". Casselden is wearing him down very fast today. He knows his time is up and there is no coming back from this.
God I hope so cos honestly he is struggling this morning long pauses lots of umms and ahhhh and bloody stories down memory lane of 20 years ago and old ladies who owned post offices….his brain is scrabbling to answer questions without incriminating himself..

Edit… he hasn’t prepared his lies well enough

I have a gut instinct that he is going to just blow this freight train up and say "whatever you have on me I did it, including my involvement in MB case". Casselden is wearing him down very fast today. He knows his time is up and there is no coming back from this.
God I hope so cos honestly he is struggling this morning long pauses lots of umms and ahhhh and bloody stories down memory lane of 20 years ago and old ladies who owned post offices….his brain is scrabbling to answer questions without incriminating himself..

edit* he hasn’t prepared his lies well enough

He doesn't seem quite as bombastic as he did later in the day yesterday.

Seems he can do meek, and yesterday I don't recall him calling anyone "sir" like he's done today a few times.

It's interesting isn't it.
Seems today he's lost the "fight" in him that he had yesterday.
Maybe it's because Casselden is being more direct, maybe he's mentally fatigued. Maybe last night his daughter blasted him and he's realised he's just flushed his life down the toilet.

Lol, 'tea break' is an expression. You can actually drink whatever you like, or go to the loo, get some fresh air or have a smoke. It's just a recess and break. No one is bringing tea and biscuits around on a trolley for the court. I wish!

Quick summation of my favorite parts:

He claimed that he put the ad in the paper at the behest of someone who used to frequent the cafe he worked at… twenty years prior…

Continues the claim that the Ramekel ID was done for no particular reason. Also didn’t renew it a few months after Marions death for no particular reason. Also, is absolutely positive he did not take that ID to the UK in ‘97.

Had serious money issues, being a disabled pensioner and all that. Funded two PO boxes, leased a room that he didn’t use that had a phone line that he also didn’t use. Claims this room was part of a business that never actually did business. Also claims he/his would help an auctioneer friend with coins as a favor.

Sold a mystery house for 80k

After waxing poetically about Kipling’s Mill yesterday said he’d never visited it.

Shipped a container filled with coin literature back to Australia (while also saying money was tight.)

Offered twice to take a polygraph.

Claims he received an inheritance that was set up as a coupon book. Would cash those coupons overseas and convert the money to Australian dollars. And would then put them in a safe in his home because he didn’t trust Australian banks (despite having the bank account for his pension.)

Did I miss anything?

Lol, 'tea break' is an expression. You can actually drink whatever you like, or go to the loo, get some fresh air or have a smoke. It's just a recess and break. Noone in bringing tea and biscuits around on a trolley for the court. I wish!
Why are you ruining this for me? I expect doilies and brown betties in the court room!

It's just a phrase that seems to have carried on, in courts where maybe they are a bit more traditional.

I hear the term coffee break a lot more than any mention of tea and it's been that way for many many years now.

Lol, 'tea break' is an expression.

He claimed that he put the ad in the paper at the behest of someone who used to frequent the cafe he worked at… twenty years prior…

Continues the claim that the Ramekel ID was done for no particular reason. Also didn’t renew it a few months after Marions death for no particular reason. Also, is absolutely positive he did not take that ID to the UK in ‘97.

Had serious money issues, being a disabled pensioner and all that. Funded two PO boxes, leased a room that he didn’t use that had a phone line that he also didn’t use. Claims this room was part of a business that never actually did business. Also claims he/his would help an auctioneer friend with coins as a favor.

After waxing poetically about Kipling’s Mill yesterday said he’d never visited it.

Shipped a container filled with coin literature back to Australia (while also saying money was tight.)

Claims he received an inheritance that was set up as a coupon book. Would cash those coupons overseas and convert the money to Australian dollars. And would then put them in a safe in his home because he didn’t trust Australian banks (despite having the bank account for his pension.)

Did I miss anything?

the polygraph I almost fell of chair with the giggles :):):) hilarious

I see the younger RB as the European fraudster who got fake Ids easily and ran off to Australia after a crime to avoid being caught..he got caught a few times so not that clever, and I do think he kept his nose clean in Australia. The name changes helped with this, but also just kept giving him fresh starts, untraceable. Was there big money in this? I doubt it.
I think he was 'in love' with MC, who may have been flattered but ultimately rejected him.
Apart from the family business work, seems he thought he could be an entrepreneur with the coin business (but no) and all the extra money came from the family in Belgium. The romance fraud seemed another potentially lucrative income stream.. waiting to hear what he has to say about that (when I get up in the morning ..). Still think MB name change was by MB herself and a mistake for her.
So far I see RB as a bit of a pathetic figure rather than an ex master con man, but of course he could be fooling me too...

I think more people love coffee than they do tea these days I'm in Australia.

Love my flat whites. I used to like Cappuccino but often ended up with mostly froth and no liquid, so I changed to Flat Whites

I have rediscovered tea lately. I couldn't drink it for years due to it's lack of that real tea flavour, but have discovered some Twinings ones which I'm enjoying. I recently stocked up on several varieties when they were half price.

I’m a cappuccino lover too!

Im glad they’re taking a morning tea break - Casselden is doing a fantastic job and it’s good he can take a few mins to have a break and recharge. Sometimes courts are so busy they just miss the morning tea break entirely and nobody gets a rest!

Did I miss anything?
twice he has mentioned inheriting his grandfathers coin collection

Question: How does a suave, charming con man get away with bad legs? I didnt hear anyone attest to Blum being crippled or handicapped in any way.

Other witnesses just refer to scars and not actual structural injury so I’m assuming he’s just played it up in his evidence.

I’m curious did anyone else find it an interesting comment today from RDH about trying to find the other brother how he had written to a particular organisation to enquire if he was alive and had no reply..(can’t remember which brother he was referring to Freddy or the other) he then went on to say he had not been in contact for over 30 years.

Yet he travelled yearly to go and see the family (based DHD testimony ) which mainly consisted of Marie, step father and the two brothers/cousins/half brothers…

I suspect they have interviewed this brother to verify facts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CP95