Australia Australia - Marion Barter, 51, missing after trip to UK, June 1997 #8

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a horrible feeling that the Coroner may stop the inquest so that charges can be laid by DPP - but maybe they don't have enough evidence yet.

What don’t coroners do?
  • The coroner’s court is not like a criminal court, and the coroner cannot punish anyone.
  • In their findings, coroners are not permitted to say that someone has committed an indictable offence (a crime).
Magistrates Court : The coroner’s court and me

In seeing him on the stand - I am wondering whether he or D had anything to do with the anonymous message to Sally's FB page or the crimestoppers call to Armidale. I don't feel like these came from nowhere. I feel like someone who knew something made those contacts.
That’s what I was wondering yesterday. Armidale only 4 hours drive from Ballina!

Isn't the inquest continuing tomorrow at Byron Bay with RB in the witness box?

Why is it a horrible feeling?

The Coroner cannot find someone guilty of a crime. If, at any time during the course of an inquest or inquiry, the Coroner forms an opinion that a known person has committed an indictable offence in connection with the death the Coroner is required to suspend the inquest or inquiry and refer the matter to the Director of Public Prosecutions.

Role of the Coroner

I don’t think you can answer I don’t believe this is relevant. You can def say I don’t remember but I don’t think you can refuse to answer.. it’s an inquest not a trial.

but I’m not a legal eagle so perhaps you can.

I took the comment of not remembering his daughters name as him further adding to the suggestion that he believed she wasn’t his. What I found cold as ice was the comment of leaving the past behind quite a good analysis of his character.. ilona had served her purpose he had residency.. so bye bye Ilona - and move on..except it wasn’t just Ilona .. it was his kids too..
this appears to have been the pattern his entire life.. take.. then leave and create new name.. and repeat.

I have a suspicion he had an affair with Ilona's friend, who they/he was/were living with in Sydney, and that's why they divorced. Then he gaslighted her when he found out she was pregnant with his child by saying the baby was another man's, because he had his residency and she was no longer useful.

But WHO is Mrs A. F----e?! The name's come up twice and we have all seen the record online by now (restricted, search above for link ). Another lady wooed and scammed by RB/wily wonka?

I'm just leaving the name shortened as still unsure of rules

No I for one haven't seen anything about a Mrs A F. ?

But WHO is Mrs A. F----e?! The name's come up twice and we have all seen the record online by now (restricted, search above for link ). Another lady wooed and scammed by RB/wily wonka?

I had some thoughts about Ilona:

To me it seems likely he paid (or offered to pay and didn't) for her to apply for citizenship that he could then piggyback off for himself. I really need to have a better look at the timeline.

It was not uncommon to do this to obtain Australian citizenship but probably more prevalent in the last say 3 or 4 decades, a bit less likely when he came over. In the years that he came to Australia there were many programs running to encourage Brits, Europeans to emigrate to Australia - such as offering cheap passage etc.

Australia used to have amnesty periods, so if you had travelled here and overstayed a visa (therefore be here illegally) the Government would declare an amnesty period and you could come forward and declare yourself and would be made a permanent resident and you could then apply for citizenship at some later stage. The last amnesty I remember was sometime around the pilots strike or before when I was living in Sydney.

I was under the impression tomorrow was the last day of inquest. Casselden will continue with Blum and finally get to his relationship with Marion. Then all the other lawyers get a turn to ask him questions. Then the Coroner goes away and writes up her findings, which are then publically posted on the NSW Coroner's site.

However, I see other people saying it will finish next week? Can someone clarify or post a link to schedule?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CP95