Australia Australia - Marion Barter, 51, missing after trip to UK, June 1997 #9

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Part of RB's police statement was read Day One of the inquest.

He said, MB came to his house at Wollongbar to collect her belongings. She was accompanied by a man who looked "in his 50's, tall" wearing a "white hat" and a "blue uniform with gold markings like bars on the sleeve" he claims MB told him she had plans to live in the UK with this man and open up a private school. RB claims this was the last time he ever saw MB.

His ability to recall this much detail from a brief encounter 25 years ago is astounding.

It's an interesting theory him having convinced MB that he was a pilot, as if you add the uniform he has basically described himself.

He claimed she was accompanied by a man who looked "in his 50's, tall" wearing a "white hat" and a "blue uniform with gold markings like bars on the sleeve" he claims MB told him she had plans to live in the UK with this man and open up a private school. He claims this was the last contact he ever had with MB.

His ability to recall that much detail from a brief encounter 25 years ago is astounding. o_O
And elements match exactly what was related in TLV podcast…funny that!

Welcome ChrysStevenson, good to have you here :) Oooh, is it in your field to find furniture exhibitions around the world in the 1980s .... as in Geneva, France, England, Ireland, etc .... as mentioned by RB at the inquest? Would really love to find a program of exhibitors at the time as I absolutely cannot understand the name of his family furniture business when he says it just the once at the inquest.
Do you know what the time stamp is for the mention of the Furniture Business? I can have a go at seeing if I can make it out?

I feel like it's borderline insane of RB to urge us all to believe that a 51 year old who "allegedly" did a belly dance in some room in her house was suddenly seeking an agent and to start a career as a belly dancer on the stage overseas. Add to that, that he knew who the best belly dancer agents were OS and he could get interviews:rolleyes: If we are to believe this, we are to believe the grass is blue and sky is green. MOO
I’d have to listen to that bit again but at the time I got the impression that DW had dropped him in it with the story and he had to then go along with it. I can’t remember why I thought that at the time…so will have to go back for a refresh!

Part of RB's police statement was read Day One of the inquest.

He said, MB came to his house at Wollongbar to collect her belongings. She was accompanied by a man who looked "in his 50's, tall" wearing a "white hat" and a "blue uniform with gold markings like bars on the sleeve" he claims MB told him she had plans to live in the UK with this man and open up a private school. RB claims this was the last time he ever saw MB.

His ability to recall this much detail from a brief encounter 25 years ago is astounding.

It's an interesting theory him having convinced MB that he was a pilot, as if you add the uniform he has basically described himself.

He claimed she was accompanied by a man who looked "in his 50's, tall" wearing a "white hat" and a "blue uniform with gold markings like bars on the sleeve" he claims MB told him she had plans to live in the UK with this man and open up a private school. He claims this was the last contact he ever had with MB.

His ability to recall that much detail from a brief encounter 25 years ago is astounding. o_O
A pilot is highly unlikely to take a trip to NSW carting tea chests for a friend wearing full uniform. And even if he did, is it credible he’d wear his cap to carry the stuff into the garage? This is pure invention.

Context: At one point LRH makes a list of “Affirmations” that were discovered later (in a diary I think), and the list gave an illuminating insight into the psychology or the way he thought. This is one of the quotes that I highlighted:

In her book, Reitman called the Affirmations "the most revealing psychological self-assessment, complete with exhortations to himself, that [Hubbard] had ever made."Among the Affirmations:

• "Your eyes are getting progressively better. They became bad when you used them as an excuse to escape the naval academy. You have no reason to keep them bad."
  • "Your stomach trouble you used as an excuse to keep the Navy from punishing you. You are free of the Navy."
  • "Your hip is a pose. You have a sound hip. It never hurts. Your shoulder never hurts."
  • "Your foot was an alibi. The injury is no longer needed."
  • "You can tell all the romantic tales you wish. ... But you know which ones were lies ... You have enough real experience to make anecdotes forever. Stick to your true adventures."
  • "Masturbation does not injure or make insane. Your parents were in error. Everyone masturbates."
The book also shows how RLH fabricated an exotic and often heroic or glorious personal history that was rooted in some elements of truth and the many embellishments were always just plausible enough for him to fool people.

Thanks. Very interesting.

A pilot is highly unlikely to take a trip to NSW carting tea chests for a friend wearing full uniform. And even if he did, is it credible he’d wear his cap to carry the stuff into the garage? This is pure invention.
IMO it’s a magician’s (Con artist) diversionary trick. Divert attention elsewhere by weaving in elements that have been picked up in the podcast or media. In other words “Honest officer, I can’t be me it must have been the pilot that other people mentioned because he came to my house and she told me they were going away together” yeah right!

The point is, his outrageous lies need to be debunked with cold, hard FACTS!

I know we are now trying to move away from RBs past.

I did happen to find some new information which I wanted to put up here just incase it has any relevance either now or in the future.

Desire David's accomplices were his sister Elise David and his girlfriend Mathilde Tadieu (also spelt Matilda Tardieu) she came from a prestigious family who were surprised to find out she had been involved.

Rapport de recherche

Last edited:
Another conman....

This is the story of a man who was born in Colombia and raised in Michigan. Yet somehow, over the course of 30 years and multiple scams, he managed to convince dozens of important people that he was a Saudi prince.

Normally savvy investors forked over nearly $8 million in hopes of gaining access to what they thought was Gignac’s untold wealth.

Today, Gignac is serving an 18-year prison sentence after pleading guilty in 2018 to multiple felony counts including impersonating a foreign diplomat, aggravated identity theft, fraud and conspiracy. He has been ordered to pay more than $7 million in restitution, though it is not clear where the money to repay his victims will come from.

Advice from the article:
  • Be wary of extroverts who never seem to lose their cool.
  • Watch out for intense eye contact and story telling.
I must say that RB did not seem to be nervous at the inquest, was talkative, seemed to give eye contact and loved telling his stories.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/01/03/fou...n-artistand-what-to-do-when-you-see-them.html

Of course there is a documentary evidence in the NAA files which states that his leg injuries and operations were in 1960, and from my memory of his testimony he was saying he was recuperating in Switzerland, on crutches from these injuries in 1968? So his “albi” or reason for being there doesn’t fit with the timeline IMO.

Exactly.

Especially given that he couldn't recall one of his childrens names:rolleyes:

Re: Rudolf Nureyev
I always thought RB meant belly dancing because women in their 50s usually don't do ballet professionally unless they are ballet teachers whereas belly dancing is viewed by many men as being erotic with the woman dancing with boa feathers around her neck like a snake in the privacy of their bedroom - hence he said he was "bewitched".

On the other hand, ballet dancing is probably not viewed as "erotic". However, JO said at the inquest that RB was trying to lure her to sell her house and buy a property in the French Riviera and for GGB, it was Paris. There was never any mention of belly or ballet dancing in JO's account so IMO he wanted to delete that story and came up with the belly dancing and getting agents instead as he did not want to be associated with the idea of having tried to lure JO into selling her house. DdH had mentioned that he told her that GGB was the one who was the dancer. Maybe he changed the story he told his wife from ballet to belly dancing for the inquest. IMO RB came up with the belly dancing story as a distraction.

I'm not sure why he felt the need to mention Nureyev because IMO he didn't say he went to Surrey with JO, did he? Nureyev lived at several London addresses, spending some months in a rented Kensington flat with his long-term partner Erik Bruhn, and staying for a short time in Fonteyn's home in 1962, also in Kensington. He bought a house near Richmond Park (which is in Surrey ten miles from London city) in 1967, but found the semi-rural location too isolating. I think that was another distraction.

I think RB said that he took JO to Deal near Dover in Kent to meet with an agent, and suggested it was the agent of Rudolf Nureyev, but as usual his explanation was a bit rambling. To me, this is SO preposterous. Deal is a small (very charming) coastal town where nothing much happens, and in the late 1990s it was quite run down. I was very interested when I heard mention of Deal because I live near enough to visit there fairly often.

I did happen to find some new information which I wanted to put up here just incase it has any relevance either now or in the future.

Desire David's accomplices were his sister Elise David and his girlfriend Mathilde Tadieu (also spelt Matilda Tardieu) she came from a prestigious family who were surprised to find out she had been involved.

Rapport de recherche
Aha

"David and his sister were arrested at their respectable apartment in "Passy " where they were living for a year and considered respectable ..."

so there in lies a connection to a crime of Rick Blum AKA ......."Passy "

Rapport de recherche

Honestly you are such a great sleuth finding this!
So much of what has been documented here, in my own personal notes, the documents within NAA, the inquest stories he tells - some with small truths and many with tall tales, along what has been commented within this Thread by so many GREAT sleuths that were here long before I arrived, keeps me coming back to my theory that THIS man IS WW father.

RB built his life around this man and his fabricated stories have been interwoven with his own fathers dealings.

So so so many small, incidental, off the cuff words, dates and placements have led me to the opinion that this is the real Abel Wouters, RB real father - Désiré Charles Octave David.

And now we have the word - "passy".

Thank you @chicken96

Honestly you are such a great sleuth finding this!
So much of what has been documented here, in my own personal notes, the documents within NAA, the inquest stories he tells - some with small truths and many with tall tales, along what has been commented within this Thread by so many GREAT sleuths that were here long before I arrived, keeps me coming back to my theory that THIS man IS WW father.

RB built his life around this man and his fabricated stories have been interwoven with his own fathers dealings.

So so so many small, incidental, off the cuff words, dates and placements have led me to the opinion that this is the real Abel Wouters, RB real father - Désiré Charles Octave David.

And now we have the word - "passy".

Thank you @chicken96
Passy is an area of Paris, France, located in the 16th arrondissement, on the Right Bank. It is home to many of the city's wealthiest residents.
I think he just had delusions of grandeur about his Tamborine property.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scyna0895