Australia Australia - Marion Barter - Missing After Trip to UK - June 1997 #20

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
are we thinking at all that ric + diane's children (unsure if i am able to comment their name??) might make comment since the pic was released? I am personally starting to feel a bit frustrated by 'all will be revealed' type comments made by the podcast and then really nothing new being said. I get it if there is no new info, but sometimes feel like we are being clickbaited in a way
Anyone who has ever watched that brilliant film Ace In The Hole will wonder whether a journalist would exploit Sally’s story for its full worth. I would hope not.

Seems a very un-AKA thing to do, keeping the Belgian Consulate up to date with his contact details. His name changes too?

Presumably she inquired at the Consulate about Australian resident and Belgian national WW, not any of his other names. I do wonder if his Belgian passport has been in that name throughout.
I think GG-B also contacted them. I wonder how many others contacted them about him? Just add it to his file. Who knows he may have had contacts in Belgium that would prefer they just ignored his criminal activity for whatever reason.

are we thinking at all that ric + diane's children (unsure if i am able to comment their name??) might make comment since the pic was released? I am personally starting to feel a bit frustrated by 'all will be revealed' type comments made by the podcast and then really nothing new being said. I get it if there is no new info, but sometimes feel like we are being clickbaited in a way?
Unfortunately that is the nature of shows like Spotlight. In terms of integrity, channel 7 is not much better than the Murdoch media. On the positive side, at least channel 7 did take on the case and were able to push it further into the public eye. Let’s hope these spotlight pieces catch the attention of a wider audience leading to new evidence, possibly even the missing piece to the puzzle of finding where Marion ended up.

I am speculating also that some of the material may have been pulled at the last minute due to threats of legal action leading to the slightly disjointed production quality. We know AKA’s son has form when it comes to threatening victims of his father’s scams.

I did enjoy Liam Bartlett dramatically whinging about the authorities protecting AKA after all AKA had got away with over the years. I’m not normally a fan of this kind of journalism, but this is an exceptional situation and AKA deserves every bit of scrutiny that he is now getting.

I don't think so, i can't find anything prior to my comment but I referenced it came from RB, our talk about it was about a comment he made at the inquest or was inferred to at one of the inquests.

But I agree be does get stuff from here ...
It came from Childs the bank manager

Go back to when SL talked about the bank early podcast.
It wasnt from WS.

are we thinking at all that ric + diane's children (unsure if i am able to comment their name??) might make comment since the pic was released? I am personally starting to feel a bit frustrated by 'all will be revealed' type comments made by the podcast and then really nothing new being said. I get it if there is no new info, but sometimes feel like we are being clickbaited in a way?

No, I think they will all be separately taking legal advice since at least the children are successful and can afford to. At the very least their lawyers will have quite rightly instructed them not to make any comments or public statements whatsoever. That doesn't mean they're not wanting to do the right thing IMO.

With regards to DdeH we have seen her brought to the inquest at a time early on where either she wasn't taking it seriously or was ignorant / wasn't aware of the scale and nature of what's being going on -or- is totally complicit and very much part of the problem. As such she was clearly an unhelpful and hostile witness, JMO MOO. Maybe now that more has come out, she would have a different approach (could go either way even so). Just my thoughts.

The only reason I call BS on the entire ‘school purchase line’ is that MB stated on her return passenger card - Married - Home Duties - Returning to Luxembourg. Why purchase a school when she can/did (?) marry a man of means and can retire at 51 livin’ the dream?

I’ve got in my head she was conned into returning and withdrawing to go towards a mansion in LUX or he buys the mansion and MB goes halves in the purchase of their holiday house on the French Riviera.

I sense MB was drawn to his MO we already know of with the others. It clearly works. The only change he made is 6 months was too long with MB. His mistake. He cut the timeframe down to in and out with the loot as quickly as possible.
I think you have MB and JO story mixed up there.
Never any talk of MB and French Riviera - that was JO.
The time frame of MB and AH was 4 months, met February - MBFBpage , AS.
I think it was AH himself that suggested the school.
And he did have access to the full brief of evidence unfortunately

MR AKA had to have some way of getting hold of Marion's money. Just being a housewife wouldn't work.

So the idea of a school was planted.

Bear in mind, no actual school would be bought.

Mr AKA would tell Marion about a great bargain school to buy and she would hand him the money for it, and he would take care of the rest.

So all he had to do was convince her that a school could be bought and that she could afford it,
Yes exactly

This is quite interesting. The Mercure in Tunbridge Wells was built in 1991 but has an Oast House attached. The hotel is literally a few hundred yards from Tunbridge Wells Hospital (formerly Pembury Hospital) where his daughter had her hernia operation and the one place he admitted he knew in Tunbridge Wells. It wasn’t the Mercure back in 1997 but the Jarvis Pembury Hotel. Very close to the A21 and down to Hastings and Rye.
Nice work @Lord Peter Flimsy

TLV podcast at 16m30s - ER understood from reading a medical book that as per the coroner's report for IK, (paraphrasing)…. the heart attack occurred due to an overload of toxins in the blood stream. ??? Who was "the carpenter" with the very European surname and can anyone help with the spelling of his name, please?
It isnt AH

A was married with his own family.

Last edited:
Re the school, I imagine he would have suggested it as an investment for her future.

He repeatedly and frankly ludicrously asserts the story that Marion was putting her 'didactic materials and literature' (his words from the inquest) into crates so she could IIRC send them to Europe. So here we have an example of one of his pre-emptive cover up stories.

I wonder if Marion really did keep and pack all her old teacher training coursework and the text books and literature and favourite children's books she'd used in classroom over all the years? I suppose she could have done if she was a bit of a squirrel and if they had sentimental value and also could be used for a return to teaching in the future? SL would know this?

IMO they would have been of very low value and extremely bulky and heavy so I imagine at some point Mr AKA had a large bonfire in the back garden or didn't bring them anywhere near his home because why would he...

JMO MOO

I don't think so, i can't find anything prior to my comment but I referenced it came from RB, our talk about it was about a comment he made at the inquest or was inferred to at one of the inquests.
From One of the sleuths, no idea which sorry.
Podcast Episode number 3
Notes from Byron Bay Police Childs says, “one possible reason for her behaviour is that she has returned to Australia with a companion and has transferred the 80k to England to purchase a property there with a view to move to England.”

Seems the most logical. His ‘David’ brothers were cousins according to his own wife.

This guy is a master of deception and becoming other people. He seems to inherit a Ripley syndrome. I wouldn’t be 100% convinced he is the person on the birth certificate.
Yes

AND it would be VERY odd to have two cousins in the family both named Willy Coppenolle!

The only other suggestion would be that once Maria went to live with her sister, AH was shipped off to RC and MP to raise while Maria kept the 2 young ones.

NOW THAT would make complete sense and go on to explain just how it came to be that he was an expert in scamming women and making die cast coins along with fake passports!

RC was a master at it. Working for the underground taught him that!

It isnt AH

A was married with his own family.
There’s no way he would have inserted himself so close to the scene of IK’s death. If he did poison IK in the way he described to ER, he would have disappeared at least a week prior to her death.

It would be very interesting to see who was behind those legal letters demanding IK’s death certificate and the workers comp claims. Also who was involved in the distribution of IK’s mother’s estate in Brussels.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ljenkins18