Australia & New Zealand - COVID-19 Coronavirus

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
We have a similar situation in New Zealand where the majority of our deaths have come from one nursing home, Rosewood in Christchurch. Hopefully an investigation will be made into why it spread through their residents so badly.

My heart goes out to the families impacted by this pandemic.

Some of the rhetoric I'm seeing online elsewhere regarding the elderly and most vulnerable of us is making my blood boil at times. I think a society is judged by how it treats its elders and least advantaged.

I, for one, am proud of how New Zealanders (and our Aussie cuzzies) have rallied together in the spirit of community and fellowship.

We have a similar situation in New Zealand where the majority of our deaths have come from one nursing home, Rosewood in Christchurch. Hopefully an investigation will be made into why it spread through their residents so badly.

My heart goes out to the families impacted by this pandemic.

Some of the rhetoric I'm seeing online elsewhere regarding the elderly and most vulnerable of us is making my blood boil at times. I think a society is judged by how it treats its elders and least advantaged.

I, for one, am proud of how New Zealanders (and our Aussie cuzzies) have rallied together in the spirit of community and fellowship.

Me too ZoriahNZ

With love from across the ditch.

Cedar Meats workers told to meet at work two days after site was shut

Cedar Meats workers told to meet at work two days after site was shut

Paul Sakkal
51 mins ago
Cedar Meats asked 350 workers to attend an indoor all-staff meeting at its abattoir site on May 1, two days after the Health Department ordered it to shut and just days before dozens of workers tested positive for COVID-19.

About 260 workers attended the meeting to learn where they could get tested and how to self-isolate. In the period from May 4-8, more than 60 of the total 85 cluster cases were recorded. The incubation period for the virus is anywhere from one to 15 days, and the median incubation period is five or six days.
A senior employee, who asked not to be named because it could endanger his job, told The Age that employees were "bunched up" at the meeting.

People forced to pack into trains despite social distancing rules

People forced to pack into trains despite social distancing rules

9News Staff
10 hrs ago

As South Australians start on the road back to normality, social distancing is already being made difficult, especially on public transport.
Passengers were packed back-to-back into a train carriage on the Gawler line last night.
But the government admitted it would be the norm in Adelaide for weeks to come, despite social distancing rules still being in place. Diesel trains will be operating on a modified timetable, with fewer services, as the entire diesel fleet undergoes vital safety works.

Scott Morrison warns Australia is 'addicted' to handouts and rules out extending the $20BILLION-per-month JobKeeper scheme

Scott Morrison warns Australia is 'addicted' to handouts and rules out extending the $20BILLION-per-month JobKeeper scheme

Alisha Rouse and Stephen Johnson For Daily Mail Australia
10 hrs ago
The coronavirus JobKeeper scheme will come to an end within months, as Scott Morrison warned against the country becoming 'addicted' to state handouts.

In a heated exchange with Labor leader Anthony Albanese in parliament on Thursday, the prime minister said the emergency measures could not stay in place forever.

The $130billion wage subsidy scheme is costing taxpayers $20billion every month, providing $1,500-a-fortnight to workers who might otherwise be laid off.

Mr Morrison ruled out extending JobKeeper past the current September 27 end date, saying he looked forward to a day when the scheme could be shut down.

'We don't want an Australian economy that's propped up by subsidies,' he said in a press conference when asked about a possible extension.

New Zealand moved to a level 2 alert for covid-19 at midnight on Wednesday. So now more businesses will be opening up, gatherings of up to 10 people are allowed, and kids will be getting back to school on Monday. We are only getting one or two new cases a day, sometimes even 0 new cases. So for now things are looking good.

Let's hope we don't get a surge, due to the easing of restrictions. Fingers crossed that people will still play it safe and keep up safety measures.

Donald Trump's threat to move F-35 production to US could jeopardise thousands of Australian jobs

Donald Trump's threat to move F-35 production to US could jeopardise thousands of Australian jobs

By political reporter Stephen Dziedzic and defence correspondent Andrew Greene
8 hrs ago
US President Donald Trump has sparked uncertainty and confusion for Australian defence companies after threatening to end offshore manufacturing for parts of the F-35 Joint Strike Fighter program.

Australia is among several international partners that contribute to the massive international global military program, which is run by American defence giant Lockheed Martin.

But Mr Trump has suggested the United States may pull back the international supply chains and do all the work domestically instead.
If Mr Trump followed through on his promise, it would be a huge blow to Australia's defence industry, ripping away contracts worth hundreds of millions of dollars and endangering thousands of jobs.

Nathan Turner did not have coronavirus, Queensland Health confirms, after miner's death prompted widespread testing in Blackwater

Nathan Turner did not have coronavirus, Queensland Health confirms, after miner's death prompted widespread testing in Blackwater

10 hrs ago
Queensland Health has confirmed further tests show 30-year-old Nathan Turner did not have coronavirus before he died last week.
An autopsy report shows the Emerald miner, who had underlying health issues, tested negative to COVID-19 and his cause of death is yet to be established.

Pair from Victoria bring coronavirus into ACT, teen tests positive in NSW

Three members of a family were diagnosed with COVID-19 in Canberra after two had arrived in the nation's capital on July 2.
Two had travelled in Melbourne recently.
The family attended an event at the Tathra Hotel.

Hold on to your hats boys and girls as I’m sure this is one of many.
IMO this will be worse than the Ruby Princess.

Planeload of Melbourne passengers allowed to leave Sydney Airport without health tests

A planeload of passengers travelling into Sydney from Melbourne on a Jetstar service were allowed to leave the aircraft and exit the airport without being health screened for coronavirus.
Jetstar Flight JQ520 landed at Sydney Airport at 6.40pm yesterday
Melbourne plane passengers allowed to leave Sydney Airport without health tests

Hold on to your hats boys and girls as I’m sure this is one of many.
IMO this will be worse than the Ruby Princess.

Planeload of Melbourne passengers allowed to leave Sydney Airport without health tests

A planeload of passengers travelling into Sydney from Melbourne on a Jetstar service were allowed to leave the aircraft and exit the airport without being health screened for coronavirus.
Jetstar Flight JQ520 landed at Sydney Airport at 6.40pm yesterday
Melbourne plane passengers allowed to leave Sydney Airport without health tests
so damn maddening seeing so many people whom are in financial dire straits trying to do the right thing for the greater good of the country all the while quarrantines are being treated with distain and fought and snuck around every which way possible.

don't even start me on protests........that were rampant what 3 week ago now on anything and everything ..........hmmmmm :confused:

is it a suprise to most round 2 is coming hard and fast . no sadly :(

thanks for the updates TGU

No pretty please just make them take the bloody test and then take away their pensions. This is just crazy

Locked down public housing tower resident claims health officials 'bribed' her to take COVID-19 test

The woman, who lives with her toddler and wanted to remain anonymous, told A Current Affair after she refused to take the test, workers offered her and her partner $750.

Last edited:
so damn maddening seeing so many people whom are in financial dire straits trying to do the right thing for the greater good of the country all the while quarrantines are being treated with distain and fought and snuck around every which way possible.

don't even start me on protests........that were rampant what 3 week ago now on anything and everything ..........hmmmmm :confused:

is it a suprise to most round 2 is coming hard and fast . no sadly :(

thanks for the updates TGU

I agree with you k-mac look what the outcome is.
All lives matter and all lives are now at risk, again.
They were warned and we now pay the price.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Torontoperson
Back