Found Deceased Australia - Russell Hill, 74, & Carol Clay, 72, Wonnangatta Valley, 20 Mar 2020 #4 *ARREST*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't be entirely focused on the blue colour and wheels. I reckon the 4wd would have been resprayed and aftermarket wheels fitted soon after the crime was committed ......

I reckon investigators would have gone through all car seller websites (e.g. car sales) to see what similar 4wds was sold since this horrendous crime was committed. And, worked with motor authorities in all states to see who a similar blue 4wd is/was registered to. So yeah, I reckon an arrest is imminent.

Someone posted 1-2 days ago on here a photo of a registered vehicle matching the description that has been recently reregistered as newly painted gold. I came back today To check and noticed the post was deleted. Was it deleted by staff because it’s not allowed or if not, can I repost the screenshot?
The post included the regó # which I’m assuming is the equivalent to the license # in the us ...is this why it was taken down. Or can I post the screenshot again(with the vin crossed out)?

There's an edit option. It's there for about an hour, I think, after you post.

You could edit it and type, DBM, which means "deleted by me.

‘VERY, VERY CLOSE’: Police update on case of missing Victorian campers

They want to speak to the driver of the blue four-wheel drive - believed to be a mid-to-late 1990s model Nissan Patrol - or anyone who might have seen it at the time.

The car has a distinctive trailer that has been modified to withstand the rough terrain in the Wonnangatta area.

“We can’t eliminate this vehicle. The person driving this vehicle is a person of interest,” Stamper said.

It sounds as if they have at least several sightings of this vehicle.

• Witness statements put the vehicle at the campsite where Mr Hill and Ms Clay were last known to be before they vanished
  • ... said four-wheel drive attempted to leave the valley late about midnight on March 20, but the Myrtleford gate was closed because of the bushfires, meaning the driver had to make a complicated turn back in the direction from which they had come (it must have been sighted somehow on the way to and/or from Myrtleford gate)
  • Detectives believe that same vehicle was then also spotted on two cameras at the top of Mount Hotham, consistent with where a vehicle would exit the valley given the closure of the Myrtleford gate
‘Very close’: Major break in campers case

Last edited:
Good to see this discussion still going. They would already know who the patrol belongs to, those camera’s are set up to capture clear rego plate pics, it looks like the plate has been deliberately blurred out in the released pic.

I reckon they’ve released the pic to put the wind up someone. They know who it is, but don’t have enough to make the arrest so drip feeding this stuff hoping someone gets nervous enough to to slip up and/or take a drive back out to gatta to check on things.

BBM

An image of the camper's vehicle was captured by cameras used to identify people entering the rugged terrain in an effort to keep track of who is on the mountain for their own safety.

But Mr Stamper would not reveal if the cameras had captured the vehicle's registration plate.

'The image we are releasing is the best image - I don't want to go too far into what we've got, but that's the best image that we've got,' he said.

The 4WD has roof racks, side steps, off-road tyres and a bulbar. The box trailer is 'fairly standard' but has been fitted with 'off-road wheels'.

Mystery 'murder' of secret lovers Russell Hill and Carol Clay 'very close' to being solved | Daily Mail Online

But Mr Stamper would not reveal if the cameras had captured the vehicle's registration plate.

'The image we are releasing is the best image - I don't want to go too far into what we've got, but that's the best image that we've got,' he said.

Yeah nah I’m not buying what he’s selling there. Won’t say if the cameras got the rego, but then says that’s the best image they’ve got? And it was spotted via a couple of diff cams.

That pic wasn’t taken at night, looks at how much light is on the side of the patrol and the camper. You can clearly see the shadows of the tree’s - it wasn’t a full moon that night, so the pics were either captured on the way in, or the way out in reasonable light. Was this one supposed to be from the camera up the Harrietville side? If it’s on the way out, and they were heard leaving at midnight, it shouldn’t have taken 7hrs til sunrise to get up to where that one is. Still a slow trip, I wouldn’t like to do it at night. Bloke is either mad or knows the area really well.

• Witnesses told police a blue Nissan Patrol was seen in the area where RH and CC disappeared.
  • A vehicle tried to leave the Wonnangatta Valley the night the pair was last seen.
  • The Nissan Patrol was spotted on cameras at the top of Mount Hotham
LE said they have witness statements that put this blue vehicle and its trailer in the valley at the time the couple were there near the spot that they had set up their camp. Investigators have been told they were camping at the Wonnangatta River near the Wonnangatta camping ground.

Detective Inspector Stamper said, “The only reason we can assume that Russell didn’t camp in the best spot, was potentially there was somebody already there. There’s been some sort of argument and maybe it’s escalated from there. It’s a theory, but it’s probably the best theory we’ve got at the moment.”

That's not my theory. As they were having an illicit weekend away, IMO they wanted privacy and the last place they would have chosen would have been close to a nearby camper or the Wonnangatta campground. For this reason they would have been the first to set up camp. If someone else came along and decided to camp nearby, was asked to camp elsewhere and an argument ensued, why would it escalate to the point of killing two people?

Regardless of why it happened, there’s a very dangerous person on the loose who needs to be apprehended.

Missing camper case close to being solved

Possible breakthrough

Detectives say they’re getting “very close” to solving the case. I believe they’ve identified the killer’s vehicle and its number plate. If so, they know the registered owner, but this doesn’t necessarily mean he committed the crime. They still need a witness who can ID the driver and/or place him at the campsite/crime scene.

The image of the rear of the trailer is very dark so I lightened it up and a number plate is visible. Hopefully LE have the technology to display its details.

Nissan & trailer.jpg Nissan & trailer 2.JPG

Police believe it’s unlikely that the items located inside the burnt-out tent would have been put there by the missing couple.

An item of interest has been handed in to detectives but they wouldn’t reveal what that was. I’m wondering if the “significant breakthrough” could possibly be a shell casing because they’ve said one theory they’ve considered is that it could have been a rogue shooter or hunter. With a campground nearby, I wouldn’t have thought it an ideal spot to be shooting at all, let alone by a rogue shooter.

Case close to being solved

I'm confident they are close to solving this. It would be a bit embarrassing to say it's close to being solved and then it isn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jetsetj