Found Deceased Australia - Russell Hill, 74, & Carol Clay, 72, Wonnangatta Valley, 20 Mar 2020 #4 *ARREST*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I
Good to see this discussion still going. They would already know who the patrol belongs to, those camera’s are set up to capture clear rego plate pics, it looks like the plate has been deliberately blurred out in the released pic.

I reckon they’ve released the pic to put the wind up someone. They know who it is, but don’t have enough to make the arrest so drip feeding this stuff hoping someone gets nervous enough to to slip up and/or take a drive back out to gatta to check on things.

I think you’re right. It was pretty easy for a couple of sleuthers on here the other day to spot some really interesting things using just the the vehicle description. Unfortunately admin deleted it (rightfully) because a person was identified on Websleuths without being baked a POI.

I think LE know exactly who it is but need to get some more evidence on their guy. I reckon his house, car, workplace, phone, everything is bugged and their listening in on everything he is doing

‘VERY, VERY CLOSE’: Police update on case of missing Victorian campers

<RSBM>

“We can’t eliminate this vehicle. The person driving this vehicle is a person of interest,” Stamper said.

Just pointing out the obvious ... this is the first time that we have heard DI Stamper say that there is a person of interest, isn't it?

(Of course, keeping in mind that everyone in that valley at that time would technically be a person of interest, until they were ruled out.) imo

I think you’re right. It was pretty easy for a couple of sleuthers on here the other day to spot some really interesting things using just the the vehicle description. Unfortunately admin deleted it (rightfully) because a person was identified on Websleuths without being baked a POI.

I think LE know exactly who it is but need to get some more evidence on their guy. I reckon his house, car, workplace, phone, everything is bugged and their listening in on everything he is doing

I missed that, only stuck my head back in today after seeing it in the news again. Just a waiting game now mate but I’d lay London to a brick that the bloke who did this is from the north. Heading back up to the GAR makes no sense otherwise.

I missed that, only stuck my head back in today after seeing it in the news again. Just a waiting game now mate but I’d lay London to a brick that the bloke who did this is from the north. Heading back up to the GAR makes no sense otherwise.

But do we know that they did exit north (e.g. via Bright) ? We know they tried (myrtelford gate) and then were on (or near?) Mount Hotham, but I thought it wasn't stated the direction after that (options: north to Bright, east to Omeo, south to Dargo).

But do we know that they did exit north (e.g. via Bright) ? We know they tried (myrtelford gate) and then were on (or near?) Mount Hotham, but I thought it wasn't stated the direction after that (options: north to Bright, east to Omeo, south to Dargo).

Dragging a trailer really limits your options for routes in/out. Makes sense to head to Myrtleford because it’s the easier road, pulling a trailer you’re probably looking at an hour or so to get to the gate, before having to turn around. Think about your next option? Zeka’s out. The only way (especially towing, *and* in the dark) is to head to Dargo. If you’re from Melb or the south you’d head down from there, but if you’re from the north you’d head up to the GAR which brings you within the Hotham resort. Turn right to Omeo you’ll get snapped going past DP, turn left to Bright you’ll get snapped leaving Hotham. Had to have been snapped somewhere else too, trying to think where that would be.

And as to which direction they turned once they hit the GAR - north to Bright or east to Omeo - consider that their first choice was to head to Myrtleford. If you lived in the east it would be quicker to just head to Dargo as your first choice.

Last edited:
can anyone offer an opinion why the couples campsite was partly burnt?. Does anyone know if button man drives a vehicle?

Dragging a trailer really limits your options for routes in/out. Makes sense to head to Myrtleford because it’s the easier road, pulling a trailer you’re probably looking at an hour or so to get to the gate, before having to turn around. Think about your next option? Zeka’s out. The only way (especially towing, *and* in the dark) is to head to Dargo. If you’re from Melb or the south you’d head down from there, but if you’re from the north you’d head up to the GAR which brings you within the Hotham village. Turn right to Omeo you’ll get snapped going past DP, turn left to Bright you’ll get snapped leaving Hotham. Had to have been snapped somewhere else too, trying to think where that would be.

And as to which direction they turned once they hit the GAR - north to Bright or east to Omeo - consider that their first choice was to head to Myrtleford. If you lived in the east it would be quicker to just head to Dargo as your first choice.

Yes it does seem likely it was probably north to Bright - when they were searching for the shovels it seemed they made a point of showing the media the intersection of Gunns Track and the GAR.

Yes it does seem likely it was probably north to Bright - when they were searching for the shovels it seemed they made a point of showing the media the intersection of Gunns Track and the GAR.

But having said that - perhaps there is a common behaviour where murderers want to go the opposite direction of home when taking a body?

But having said that - perhaps there is a common behaviour where murderers want to go the opposite direction of home when taking a body?

Yeah maybe. But if home was out through the south where there’s no camera’s and you’d be home quicker, wouldn’t that be smarter than trying to play games and going through the north where you’re gonna get snapped on your way out? Then again, we don’t actually know if old mate has any smarts at all.

Dragging a trailer really limits your options for routes in/out. Makes sense to head to Myrtleford because it’s the easier road, pulling a trailer you’re probably looking at an hour or so to get to the gate, before having to turn around. Think about your next option? Zeka’s out. The only way (especially towing, *and* in the dark) is to head to Dargo. If you’re from Melb or the south you’d head down from there, but if you’re from the north you’d head up to the GAR which brings you within the Hotham resort. Turn right to Omeo you’ll get snapped going past DP, turn left to Bright you’ll get snapped leaving Hotham. Had to have been snapped somewhere else too, trying to think where that would be.

It sounds like it could be someone who knows the main roads around there pretty well, if they knew enough to head off to Myrtleford with their trailer ... due to the better road for night driving.

I wonder if the police have managed to find CCTV of the vehicle heading into the area, and which direction it came from.

Police are close and it's going to be difficult for the perp to say "it was an argument that got out of control, I didn't mean it" when they haven't come forward.

If it comes down to police busting his door open at 4am to make an arrest as opposed to perp presenting at the police station to say how sorry he is, it's going to be extremely hard for his lawyer to argue that the perp didn't mean it and is remorseful when clearly he isn't or he would of come forward.

Good to see this discussion still going. They would already know who the patrol belongs to, those camera’s are set up to capture clear rego plate pics, it looks like the plate has been deliberately blurred out in the released pic.

I reckon they’ve released the pic to put the wind up someone. They know who it is, but don’t have enough to make the arrest so drip feeding this stuff hoping someone gets nervous enough to to slip up and/or take a drive back out to gatta to check on things.

Those cameras would be hi-tech and really the objective is to grab the number plate details.

number plate change and a new paint job may camouflage the Nissan Patrol, but that trailer is distinctive. At some point a neighbor, drinking buddy or relative is going to see that picture and put two and two together.

My thoughts exactly mate.

can anyone offer an opinion why the couples campsite was partly burnt?. Does anyone know if button man drives a vehicle?

The most likely reason would be that the murders were committed in or around the tent area and the murderer wanted to destroy any possible DNA he might have left behind.

This makes me wonder if this really was a heat of the moment/ argument kind of murder - seems more like someone who has some knowledge / experience with murders…

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
emmab