Found Deceased Australia - Russell Hill, 74, & Carol Clay, 72, Wonnangatta Valley, 20 Mar 2020 #4 *ARREST*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes he's no longer missing. We found his facebook profile and he's been active since being reported missing. Also found a Nissan Patrol on his FB page. He seems to have lost his son and posted on FB about 3 days before the murders that there's no point in life now that his son is now longer alive...

Random thoughts relating to this as I did not see the deleted post, photos or Facebook profile and just IMO that maybe the patrol was resprayed gold as that was his son's patrol and was resprayed in his honor as he saw his son as his 'golden boy' and it holds sentimental value or personal reasons hence the respray? Coincidental?

Please advise if I need to delete my next question - in the photos / profile that members here have seen of the blue patrol - were there stickers that are similarly placed to the police released images prior to the respray?

I agree with alot of members views and thoughts and just hope this case can soon be closed.

Last edited:
I have been looking on Gumtree over the whole of Australia and there are currently only 24 blue Nissan patrols for sale, that includes all models and spans 1990 -2001. Useful really just to demonstrate that there aren't that many about. (For comparison there are 107 in white).

I spent several years living in rural Australia and you do tend to recognise cars belonging to neighbours. I feel like revealing the vehicle may have bought them some interesting tips.

I can hardly believe that we know quite a lot about this case, and yet we still know so very little, and we still have so many questions. We do have some answers, but not the ones we really need. For example, why were Carol and Russell's bodies not found in the tent? Why would the killer go to so much extra and unnecessary trouble to dispose of the bodies elsewhere, so well that they have never been found? And why should it apparently matter to the killer that they not be found? In any logical fiction story, all of this might indicate that there was no killer, that the missing couple disappeared of their own volition. But there is no evidence at all pointing to that scenario, and circumstances seem to make it unlikely. There certainly seems to be a strong possibility that there was an altercation between them and someone else. But that has led precisely nowhere. Perhaps the only way this case will ever be solved is if/when their bodies are found one day, and deductions can be made from them.

I can hardly believe that we know quite a lot about this case, and yet we still know so very little, and we still have so many questions. We do have some answers, but not the ones we really need. For example, why were Carol and Russell's bodies not found in the tent? Why would the killer go to so much extra and unnecessary trouble to dispose of the bodies elsewhere, so well that they have never been found? And why should it apparently matter to the killer that they not be found? In any logical fiction story, all of this might indicate that there was no killer, that the missing couple disappeared of their own volition. But there is no evidence at all pointing to that scenario, and circumstances seem to make it unlikely. There certainly seems to be a strong possibility that there was an altercation between them and someone else. But that has led precisely nowhere. Perhaps the only way this case will ever be solved is if/when their bodies are found one day, and deductions can be made from them.
I think all 3 those question might tie back to one answer: the killer knew that it is better if bodies are never found, it makes it some much harder to solve the crime.

I think that’s the most logical conclusion. That’s why their bodies weren’t found in the tent. That’s why he went through so much effort to dispose of the bodies.

Thinking about this I can only think of two types of motivations for such a crime:
1) It was a targeted murder by someone that has some connection to either Russell or Carol knew
2) It was a done by someone who had committed murder before or fantasised about doing it for a long time. He might have had the idea to do something like that for a long time and planned elements, perhaps even scoped out the area for the perfect spot. When Russell & Carol arrived at the camp spot an opportunity presented itself. I’m thinking an Israel Keyes type person, perhaps a little less smart and less sophisticated

I think it was unplanned.
It was a stranger, they got into an argument.

It was like road rage.

There are a lot of really angy aggressive people out there, you read about them in the news all the time and hope you never meet anyone like that.

Also look at some cases i where drivers hit a cyclist and hide their bodies. It has happened.

Maybe Russell and Carol got run over in their tent.

Of course the tent is destroyed so probably no way to tell if that's what happened. I just happened to think of it because people have died getting run over in their tents before.

Two thoughts today...
1. Could the Driver of the blue Nissan Patrol have removed his plates before hitting the road again? Is that why LE don’t know the number plate, it was NEVER IN the CCTV footage?
2. Could Russell have left some items at the campground the week before when he was known to have gone there? Kind of marking “his” territory? Resulting in one very angry Camper vying for the same position?
MOO
Great work, Everyone. I feel like LE is so so close now . Hoping for a resolution for Russell and Carol’s Families...

I spent some time earlier reading back all the posts from the beginning of this case.

The consensus then was very much that they had for one reason or another walked away from camp and got lost or incapacitated in the Bush. There was even an article saying the fire was not started deliberately.

Logically that still seems like the most realistic answer! However, the police must have some definite proof to show that a homicide occurred. I wonder what it is.

I spent some time earlier reading back all the posts from the beginning of this case.

The consensus then was very much that they had for one reason or another walked away from camp and got lost or incapacitated in the Bush. There was even an article saying the fire was not started deliberately.

Logically that still seems like the most realistic answer! However, the police must have some definite proof to show that a homicide occurred. I wonder what it is.

Was that consensus made knowing that the sleeping bags were missing or that items such gas bottle and a battery were in the tent?

it’s never seemed like a rational theory to me.

Something that continues to bother me is why Russell went camping alone the week prior.

"Detectives have established Mr Hill was camping alone with his Landcruiser in the area of the King Billy and Bluff Track between March 11 and 13."

Source: Renewed calls for info on missing campers

Maybe he had shady business dealings with someone in the area? If this is foul play...maybe whomever he was mixed up with knew he'd be back and took advantage of an opportunity. Not sure but this (his solo trip) really bothers me.

I have thought about this as well ... if Russell Hill was having a long time affair with Carol, I wouldn't be surprised if he had other women. He was probably catching up with someone else. IMO

Was that consensus made knowing that the sleeping bags were missing or that items such gas bottle and a battery were in the tent?

it’s never seemed like a rational theory to me.

Yes, it was right at the beginning. Ironically if the tent hadn't been burnt then that's probably what still would have been thought so there must have been a reason required to burn it.

Something that continues to bother me is why Russell went camping alone the week prior.

"Detectives have established Mr Hill was camping alone with his Landcruiser in the area of the King Billy and Bluff Track between March 11 and 13."

Source: Renewed calls for info on missing campers

Maybe he had shady business dealings with someone in the area? If this is foul play...maybe whomever he was mixed up with knew he'd be back and took advantage of an opportunity. Not sure but this (his solo trip) really bothers me.

I also think it's unusual for just two nights, and especially so close to his trip with Carol.

Before I moved to Australia I couldn't have even imagined driving 4.5 hours for a two night camping trip. Aussies do it differently though... distances are vast there and they're used to it.

I suspect he was out there scoping out the best camping spot that would suit Carol but I feel there's a very strong possibility he encountered someone on that trip.

Is there any aerial view of the camp area, showing R & C’s camp area with the tent & car layout, and this ‘prime’ camp spot? To see how the person may have approached them, and from which direction.
I think the tent was the crime scene, hence trying to burn it to the ground. So wanting to see if a car could have run over the tent easily enough, or if the person approached on foot & attacked. If the Nissan had an attached annexe then that would have to have been packed away before driving the car, obviously. Are they a pain to pack up? Or fairly quick?

Russells mate said the camp was not set up the way Russell always set up camp.

He didn't say exactly how, but I think it's more than having a fire near the tent. I think he might have meant that the car etc were normally in different positions. Maybe the toilet was always in a different spot or something.

Was there anything said about fingerprints on or in the car being found ?

Did LE use the blue light for blood ?

Before I moved to Australia I couldn't have even imagined driving 4.5 hours for a two night camping trip. Aussies do it differently though... distances are vast there and they're used to it.

we Aussies are an intrepid bunch, driving 4 hours each way even for a day trip or driving to NSW or Sth Aus for an overnight or weekend trip isn’t that unusual.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member