Found Deceased Australia - Russell Hill, 74, & Carol Clay, 72, Wonnangatta Valley, 20 Mar 2020 #4 *ARREST*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
New clues in mystery of missing campers Russell Hill and Carol Clay

Exact model of the vehicle has been tipped by the Nissan Patrol community
And that aligns to the Nissan Patrol we sleuthed the other day. It was first registered as a Blue Nissan Patrol and now it’s a Gold Nissan Patrol. From my notes, this is what we have on this Patrol we sleuthed:
- Variant: (4x4) GU 4D Wagon
- Engine: 6 cylinders, 4.5 litre
- Fuel type: petrol
- Transmission: 4 speed auto 4x4

I have not heard back from Crimestoppers so I think they have either discounted this person or already had them as a POI. They would be following this website and it’s comments for sure. It’s just a waiting game now as others have said LE would know who did this but imagine evidence is largely circumstantial and they are needing hard evidence like bodies before charging. A good defence lawyer would argue Russell and Carol could have taken off and there is no evidence they are deceased.

I have not heard back from Crimestoppers so I think they have either discounted this person or already had them as a POI. They would be following this website and it’s comments for sure. It’s just a waiting game now as others have said LE would know who did this but imagine evidence is largely circumstantial and they are needing hard evidence like bodies before charging. A good defence lawyer would argue Russell and Carol could have taken off and there is no evidence they are deceased.
I wouldn't be so sure about that Detective Willy. I would think that Crimestoppers probably have a lot of information to go through and might not have even read your report yet?? Also, if they had read your report I don't think they'd get back to you based on the information provided as it's available on social media. I could be wrong but just my opinion at this stage.

Would have imagined that a tip with lots of dots "logically" connected may be prioritised? The vehicle being re-registered as a Gold colour in February this year was not available on Social Media. If this was not a mistake then this needs very close scrutiny IMO.

Would have imagined that a tip with lots of dots "logically" connected may be prioritised? The vehicle being re-registered as a Gold colour in February this year was not available on Social Media. If this was not a mistake then this needs very close scrutiny IMO.
To be honest I think LE is very aware of the owner of the Blue Nissan Patrol as those cameras are made to capture rego numbers. I think LE doesn't have any additional evidence to charge so they put out info about the Blue Patrol to see if any witnesses come forward that can place their guy at the crime scene

Missing persons squad detectives say they have narrowed-down the vehicle to a five-door wagon, “GU” model Nissan Patrol Series 1, built between 1997 and 2001.

Detectives are calling for more information from anyone who may recognise the vehicle, particularly if the car is known to tow a trailer.

The vehicle was captured on roadside cameras driving on The Great Alpine Road and matched a description of a car witnesses saw parked near their campsite and heard leaving the area about midnight.

I wouldn't be so sure about that Detective Willy. I would think that Crimestoppers probably have a lot of information to go through and might not have even read your report yet?? Also, if they had read your report I don't think they'd get back to you based on the information provided as it's available on social media. I could be wrong but just my opinion at this stage.

It's not just social media.

They received information from Australia’s Nissan Patrol community following an appeal for information last week, police said on Sunday.

Detectives are calling for more information from anyone who may recognise the vehicle, particularly if the car is known to tow a trailer.

The vehicle was captured on roadside cameras driving on The Great Alpine Road and matched a description of a car witnesses saw parked near their campsite and heard leaving the area about midnight.

I was apart of the conversation that was deleted in regards to this vehicle - I can see the rego renewal is in February but did you find evidence to suggest this is when it was changed to Gold?

I know in Vic to change colour of car doesn’t require re-registration, you just need to let vicroads know and and inspection isn’t required.

Notify VicRoads of changes and modifications : VicRoads

Because Gunns was still closed. So it had to have come off the Dargo High Plains rd. And they’d know if it had come through the Hotham village by checking the east boundary camera on the Omeo side.
The Dargo route hypothesis would fit with searches of Cynthia Range Track etc last May.

I was just looking at a 4WD thread where someone asked if 4-5 hours would be sufficient to drive Wonnangatta Station to Dargo. This was back in 2014. A couple of people said double that. So Van Dammes Saddle to Dargo to Hotham in darkness, probably more than 4 hours. (?) If the blue vehicle was photographed at Hotham around 4am--4 hours after something was heard turning at Van Dammes Saddle which is where you said was the Myrtleford gate--and I'm not sure the police are committing to that time, but that's what they're intentionally implying--then the blue vehicle would have an alibi with respect to that departure time and route.

Re. The camp site, there was no mention of blood being found on the ground / vehicle / equipment, was there? If Russell and Carol met foul play as seems the likely scenario, perhaps blunt force was used to render them both unconscious.

Perhaps (less likely imo) they were suffocated in their tent whilst asleep with gas from a cylinder etc. Following a dispute or bitter confrontation that hadn't escalated enough to warrant either party to pack up and leave at that stage.

It is just strange that two fully-grown (albeit older) adults have vanished without any clear sign of violence - Besides of course the suspicious circumstances at the campsite.

Something that continues to bother me is why Russell went camping alone the week prior.

"Detectives have established Mr Hill was camping alone with his Landcruiser in the area of the King Billy and Bluff Track between March 11 and 13."

Source: Renewed calls for info on missing campers

Maybe he had shady business dealings with someone in the area? If this is foul play...maybe whomever he was mixed up with knew he'd be back and took advantage of an opportunity. Not sure but this (his solo trip) really bothers me.

Something that continues to bother me is why Russell went camping alone the week prior.

"Detectives have established Mr Hill was camping alone with his Landcruiser in the area of the King Billy and Bluff Track between March 11 and 13."

Maybe he had shady business dealings with someone in the area? If this is foul play...maybe whomever he was mixed up with knew he'd be back and took advantage of an opportunity. Not sure but this (his solo trip) really bothers me.

Yeah it is a bit odd. It’s a 4.5 hour drive for him. But he may not have been bothered by the drive, he was probably used to it after all those years. I do wonder if he went to set up a ghost camp in that prime spot, as others have said above. I’d love to know from his friends if that’s something he was known to do.

I was apart of the conversation that was deleted in regards to this vehicle - I can see the rego renewal is in February but did you find evidence to suggest this is when it was changed to Gold?

I know in Vic to change colour of car doesn’t require re-registration, you just need to let vicroads know and and inspection isn’t required.

Notify VicRoads of changes and modifications : VicRoads

So the Patrol of the missing person (at the time) was described as a Blue Patrol by police on 6 July 2020. So as at July 2020 it was still a blue Patrol.

But now when we look up that same Blue Patrol using the rego number provided by police in the missing person's alert it is suddenly registered as as Gold Patrol. The owner (person who was reported missing on 6 July but since been found) must have repainted it between 6 July 2020 and when they renewed the car's registration papers. Could have been anytime from 6 July 2020 to now.

Maybe he wasn't alone there the week prior? His family had no idea he was with Carol, it's a possibility that he went camping with other people also without anyone knowing.

yeah would take much longer than 4 hours, I reckon some journo has punched it into google maps and just said oh yeah 4hrs to get there, and added that into their story without taking everything else into consideration.

I don’t think the patrol went past the camera at 4am. The good light and shadows on the side show it’s after sunrise. That side would be facing east as it goes past the camera, nice amount of early sun happening, I’m thinking between 7.30 (sunrise was 7.24am says google) and 8am. Which seems about right if it left gatta at midnight. And google says the moon was in the last quarter, so the light won’t be from bright moonlight.

The Dargo route hypothesis would fit with searches of Cynthia Range Track etc last May.

I was just looking at a 4WD thread where someone asked if 4-5 hours would be sufficient to drive Wonnangatta Station to Dargo. This was back in 2014. A couple of people said double that. So Van Dammes Saddle to Dargo to Hotham in darkness, probably more than 4 hours. (?) If the blue vehicle was photographed at Hotham around 4am--4 hours after something was heard turning at Van Dammes Saddle which is where you said was the Myrtleford gate--and I'm not sure the police are committing to that time, but that's what they're intentionally implying--then the blue vehicle would have an alibi with respect to that departure time and route.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hobo1977