Found Deceased Australia - Russell Hill, 74, & Carol Clay, 72, Wonnangatta Valley, 20 Mar 2020 #5 *charges*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
DNA lab results?

Russell and Carol’s remains might not be found if they weren’t buried.
I believe fires have been through there and scavenging animals.
Burial might have preserved them.

The delay is to do with process and assembly of evidence. The police have said it is a very complex case, there is a mass of evidence and they need to assemble it into a coherent set of accusations and supporting information.
Mr Lynn was charged late on Thursday by police. It is a matter of law that he is then brought to a court, I think a magistrates court or in Victoria, a bail court, as soon as practicable, where police formally present the charge or charges to a magistrate. The issue of bail is then raised. In this case, no application was made and would have been refused. It is rare for bail to be granted in the case of murder and manslaughter. The magistrate then formally remands the accused in custody, sets other conditions such as welfare and health checks, and sets a date for the accused's next appearance. There are usually time limits on how far this can be pushed into the future, and judges do not like delaying any of these stages or ultimately the trial. However, timing is determined by the complexity of assembling a brief of evidence for the next court to consider, the availability of witnesses and also the court calendar. The reason for this apparent rigmarole is that at each stage a person (magistrate, judge) unconnected with the investigation has to be convinced that the person should be charged and that if they are to be detained, that such detention, is lawful, i.e. justified by law. It is to protect the accused but ultimately all the community from the exercise of arbitrary power.
Mr Lynn's trial may not begin until the second half of next year. Unless of course he pleads guilty... then its over in a ix weeks or so.
The process is detailed in this document: https://content.legislation.vic.gov.au/sites/default/files/2021-10/09-7aa084 authorised_1.pdf

The campers that were told they could stay are those who were only there for the weekend.
So I think that those who were there for longer were told to leave, at least before Monday.

I guess they don't want campers or anyone not in their team by Monday when they bring in all their team and their tech gadgets etc.

No Cookies | Herald Sun

Search area for the bodies of Russell and Carol is said to be the Grant Historic Area near Wonnangatta.

Roadblocks setup near Dargo High Plains Rd-McMillans Rd, near Dargo
Some campers already there told they can stay.

Last edited:
Do police really do that? I mean, would a judge give permission? And who has the manpower to listen to recordings from every room in the house 24/7?

Possibly there might have been officers sitting outside. Hear shouting and see him slam the door and rush out. One vehicle follows him, other officer goes to the front door and find an excuse to start asking questions.

JMO
The police bugged the Thorburn family house during the investigation of the murder of Tialeigh Palmer, they heard the Thorburns - who were Tialeigh's foster family - talking about the cover-up of the foster father Rick killing her, which led to his arrest and lifetime imprisonment.

So yes, the police do indeed do that.

Further to the last map it would make sense to go to Caroline springs via the northern route rather than through Gippsland to the south. see attached map.
For anyone interested in the old mines in the Grant area - pull out a map and follow along. Tonnes of interesting stuff on this page
High Country History
Finding historic mines in the Grant Historic Area

you need to open each link separately, but lots of photos will give a better idea of the area they’re looking at
Now your've gone and done it.... I wont get anything done today. I will be stuck on that website all day and them some .. I can just see it

No Cookies | Herald Sun

Search area for the bodies of Russell and Carol is said to be the Grant Historic Area near Wonnangatta.

Roadblocks setup near Dargo High Plains Rd-McMillans Rd, near Dargo
Some campers already there told they can stay.

Search expected to start on Monday

Behind a paywall

Friend just sent this precis of the HS article:

HS article says that busk track is new focus in hunt for bodies
27 November 2021
Police investigating the disappearance of Russell Hill and Carol Clay have gone to the Grant Historic Area near Wonnangatta.
Police released images on Friday of a new preliminary search area in the Great Alpine region.
Roadblocks – including where Dargo High Plains Rd meets McMillans Rd, north of Dargo – have been set up.
Following Mr Lynn being charged *advertiser censored* Comm Bob Hill said police were “hopeful” they would find the pair’s remains. He would not say if the new search zone came from information Mr Lynn provided while being interviewed.

Can any legal minds speculate on why he won't face court until May? Police say it's complicated. But assuming he's confessed and cooperated and told them where to find the bodies, what could be complicated?
The Police requested until April 19, 2022 to prepare their complex brief.

Edit: spelling mistake

Last edited:
I really doubt there were any sleeping bags. I have never known a couple camping around there to use sleeping bags, let alone an elderly couple. They would have used doonas, which would be obliterated by the fire (or used to wrap the bodies)
Police have stated sleeping bags in their list of missing inventory. They would know from the family what he would take on trips.

The only case I've heard of actual bugging devices was an investigation in Toronto, when 3 family members had conspired to murder 3 other family members. They discussed and justified it quite a bit, among themselves.

Whereas one guy, keeping it secret from the rest of the family, would the police hope he might mutter about it to himself in the bathroom, like Robert Durst did (when he forgot he was miked for a TV interview)?

JMO
I replied to your original post before reading the rest of this thread.

I see where you're coming from, perhaps the possibility of an accomplice or accessory makes bugging plausible?

I'll have to Google the Durst case, sounds kind of 'Worlds Dumbest Criminals'o_O

@Kemug here is something you may find interesting. There is a test you can take to see how good you are at reading micro-expressions.

I haven't thoroughly delved into the site, I just wanted to find something that would make sense of your initial responses, as I too felt the same.

I'm guessing in the arenas of business and poker it is a handy skill to have, face-reading.

The Definitive Guide to Reading Facial Microexpressions

"The face and its expressions, also known as microexpressions, are the window to the soul—if you know how to read them. The good news is we can tell a lot about someone by their face."

Last edited:
That’s all I can think that he was so cocky about what he was doing, that he thought the cams aren’t switched on out of season. Except they are, because although their priority is to catch people who haven’t purchased passes during snow season, they’re also used the rest of the year for bushfire (and other disasters) to know who’s in the area.
Even given the number plate cameras on top of Mt Hotham? Unless GL thought they wouldn't be running in summer.

I replied to your original post before reading the rest of this thread.

I see where you're coming from, perhaps the possibility of an accomplice or accessory makes bugging plausible?

I'll have to Google the Durst case, sounds kind of 'Worlds Dumbest Criminals'o_O
Yes, search Robert Durst & the Jinx. “What the hell did I do? Killed them all, of course,” he said to himself in the bathroom, after being interviewed by a journalist. He was just recently convicted of at least one murder, finally.

But yes, I did mean that IMO judges are not likely to approve an application for bugging a private home without strong evidence that a conspiracy will be discussed there.

It seems counterintuitive but I find the Daily Mail often has factual information first or are the only ones to publish stuff that is later confirmed in official documents. I also agree that all sources often have incorrect information. It is a crazy world when you are more likely to get more information from DM than ABC News but I think it's the strange reality.

The multiple typos from each DM article bothers me but I have come to see them as a pretty reliable source too. In the United States, most news sources are either totally liberal or totally conservative and the news is always slanted one way or the other.
I find that the DM will report on any politician or public situation with criticism if necessary, regardless of the political affiliations. I like that. They don’t seem to pick a side except for the side of public interest. JMO

When I posted last about campsite spot argument possibly as LE suggested I was actually thinking of what you are suggesting here. I wouldn't be surprised either. Reminds me of the possible "Smiley Face Killers" sort of thing but a single individual here (?). The more remote the more chances to not be discovered and tracks covered. The fire in the tent makes me think maybe he sat in those chairs, possibly. Maybe the deer carcasses were a rouse to throw LE off. I wonder if Russel let the perp. get close and was friendly, unknowingly what was about to take place? That would be heartwrenching IMO. Russell would have tried to calm a fight he wouldn't have engaged in angering. Maybe he lured them away from the campsite, but then he would have to come back for the sleeping bags. I'm sorry I can't see this as anything but an act of barbarity as in Serial killer type of way. I've pondered the possible scenarios but with Russel's character it just doesn't happen IMO. The drone footage can be erased so Russel would have said so and thus the end of the conflict and continue camping peacefully. Russell could have shown the perp that he was erasing footage so I can't see anything else but barbarity, here. Its so very sad this scenario but I think this is it.

victoria disappearances — Mysterious Stories Blog — StrangeOutdoors.com

"It’s not unusual for people to get lost in Victoria’s (Australia) remote and rugged High Country, but it is strange for them to remain missing after weeks of fruitless searching. Between early 2019 and 2020, four people have disappeared within a 37 mile (60 km) radius, leaving police and locals baffled."

The sister and niece of a friend of mine were, probably still are, employed by one of the Commonwealth agencies (not sure if it was ASIO, ASIS, AFP) to listen to intercepted telephone calls and report. They worked from home on this, years before Covid. They were not trained police but would have had strict security clearances.
I want that job!

I thought he looked like a big eater who's also a big drinker. I didn't think he looked debauched or a drug taker.
He appears to have the facial inflammation that is characteristic of heavy drinkers, type A personalities, people with toxic livers.

In Traditional Chinese Medicine, TCM, the liver is known as the "Seat of Anger" - disposing those with sluggish livers to anger issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Paperdoll1