Found Deceased Australia - Russell Hill, 74, & Carol Clay, 72, Wonnangatta Valley, 20 Mar 2020 #5 *charges*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Are there threads on WS for other missing people in the high country? I remember a few months ago I searched on here for David Prideaux but couldn't find anything.

There's: DP, Conrad Whitlock and Niels someone?

I'm not sure if its my poor search technique or no threads are there for them? I don't know how you start a thread either.

Are there threads on WS for other missing people in the high country? I remember a few months ago I searched on here for David Prideaux but couldn't find anything.

I'm not sure if its my poor search technique or no threads are there for them? I don't know how you start a thread either.

That would be Niels Becker

The police bugged the Thorburn family house during the investigation of the murder of Tialeigh Palmer, they heard the Thorburns - who were Tialeigh's foster family - talking about the cover-up of the foster father Rick killing her, which led to his arrest and lifetime imprisonment.

So yes, the police do indeed do that.

In the Ristevski murder ol’ Borce found the bug under his vehicle.

I don't know about looking debauched, but I think he looks, using an old fashioned word, Tipsy.

IMO in particular with the photo of GL standing in the water, he looks weather-beaten and quite flushed / with long term sunburn. If I was to guess what he did without knowing anything about him by this photo alone, I would have guessed a truck driver.

I wonder how recently that photo of GL was taken?

I can't find any either BUT how interesting is this...!

"According to Johanna and Peer, Niels had mentioned in his last text that the mobile phone reception in the area was poor. Johanna and Peer did not hear from their son again after his last text message on the 26th of October."

Niels Becker

Wasn't that the 20th anniversary of the ex wife's death !? Coincidence?

Edited to clarify, death of GL's ex wife

Don’t forget Sam Wilson, her body was found at Abbeyard, not too far away. Never hear much about it, and I know there was a bit of talk about her ex, but nothing ever came of that so who knows..

A couple of interesting things have emerged. I'll make a few posts, providing globbets.
The road closures. According ot the press, one road block is at the Macmillan Road turnoff on the Dargo High Plains Rd. Some maps show just this. However, 4WD sites give these directions: "Dargo High Plains Rd you turn into Grant road which changes it's name into McMillan Road...."
I looked at google street view, and the photo below appears to be the turn off, from the Dargo High Plains Rd to Grant/McMillan Rd. The photos that are in the media showing the roadblocks clearly are further into the the Grant Wilderness area.
Why would police be looking here? Well, its not the first time in this general area.
My friend has a college project on crime (she's a Criminology Major) and has a timeline on this. In her time line she has:
April 26, 2021: Detectives return to search remote tracks, rivers and cliffs in the area the couple were camping. They returned to the Wonnangatta area in Victoria’s high country as a result of information obtained from previous searches. They are focusing their efforts on the Dargo High Plains Road, Cynthia Range Track, Herne Spur Track and the Wonnangatta Track. [Wonnangatta Track takes one up to the locked gate. Cynthia Range Track, Herne Spur Track are possible exit routes to Dargo High Plains Road McMillan Road is about 55km from Mt Hotham]. Cadaver dogs are unleashed to scour the search zone but no remains are found.
Note also: "As a result of other searches".
upload_2021-11-27_14-49-27.png

I don’t know how to edit my spelling mistake! :confused:

Oh, dear @sleuther123,
I'll wager none of us gives a piffle if there are spelling mistakes, grammar errors or even malapropisms in a member's post. Often are minds are racing with a theory or a question and our fingers just can't keep up with our thoughts.

It's ideas from our fellow sleuths we care about. Please, post freely and worry not!

This is only a conjecture but the police seem to be working on the idea that the person responsible for the disappearance of Mr Hill and Ms Clay drove out of the wilderness and joined the Dargo High Plains Road.
McMillans Road is just one of a number of roads coming out of the Grant wilderness area that join the Dargo High Plains Road. The distance from McMillans Road to Mt Hotham, is approximately 50 km. The 4WD and trainer were photographed at Mt Hotham.
If one looks at the photo, below, it appears that the shadows are running from right to left. Given that we drive on the left here in Oz, and the photo was reportedly taken around 6.00 am, then it is a fair bet that the vehicle is going up the mountain not down.
Recall that (my friend's time line again),
April 14, 2021: Information leads detectives to Mount Hotham, where two shovels and reportedly, other items are found during a search in a small area of bushland next to the Great Alpine Road.
This suggests that the vehicle went up from the MacMillan road area to mt hotham and then down through Dinner Plain, Cobungra to Omea (assuming the driver stuck to the highway).
Down this road are multiple cctv installations, phone masts and so on.
[Note also in the photo below that the trailer appears to have a licence plate. I understand that in Victoria a trailer takes to plate of the vehicle towing it. There is no indication when the photo came into the possession of the police or when they realised its significance. But in April this year they were still speaking of a "mystery white" ute, however, they spoke to Mr Lynn last year.]

upload_2021-11-27_15-8-9.jpeg

I don’t think he’d have shot the gas bottle, what would be the point? He’d have to still go and set the campsite on fire, and by then most of the gas would’ve leaked out. Don’t believe what you see in the movies. I reckon a better bet is that he turned the gas on slow inside the tent and lit a fire, hoping the leaking gas would fuel it.

I actually wonder if he got annoyed by the drone and shot it out of the air. That would’ve made Russell furious and provoked a fight.

I agree with you, that the RH's beloved drone, perhaps annoyed others, including GL, and was shot down by GL.
A fight started, with the couple being murdered.

The current search site may have resulted, in LE retracing GL's travel history, at the time.
GPS on truck, phone pings, interrogations, revisits to the area by GL etc resulting in this search.
The trailer may have been destroyed, cut into pieces, burnt, buried as this guy is smart.

Don’t forget Sam Wilson, her body was found at Abbeyard, not too far away. Never hear much about it, and I know there was a bit of talk about her ex, but nothing ever came of that so who knows..

Seems like another case that needs attention..I wonder why there’s not more info out there.. I can’t find where Sam was from or her story (but also not a subscriber to HS).
RIP Sam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member