Found Deceased Australia - Russell Hill, 74, & Carol Clay, 72, Wonnangatta Valley, 20 March 2020

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
So, we do know where Russell transmitted from? Exactly where they were when he made that final transmission?

I keep asking this because I have not read that anywhere, and I think we are making assumptions. That Russell dragged his home ham radio stuff along with him, spent time spreading antenna in the trees, had an ongoing power source for the home ham radio .....

Was the ham radio found at the campsite? What was his wife listening on, when she heard that last transmission? Why was this transmission so crackly, when Russell had always used the ham radio every night?

I think this is important because we need to know exactly what is missing, in case it is found, or seen being suddenly used by someone else, or turns up in a pawn shop.
The drone.
One or two mobile phones?
A power source?
The ham radio?
I've got a query on the exact location of the transmission because Wonnangatta Station itself as marked on Google Maps is 3km+ from Dry River Track at the other end of the valley. I don't know whether it would be usual to say "Wonnangatta Station" to indicate the valley in general, as distinct from Wonnangatta on the north side of the river.

I am trying to find an article I saw recently saying that it's possible the drone was destroyed in the fire.

Mobile phone tracking data showed the pair drove through Heyfield, Licola and Licola North to get to the Wonnangatta Valley.

"They then took the Zeka Spur Track, which leads up into the High Country, into Wonnangatta, which is getting close to as remote as you can get in Victoria," Detective Inspector Andrew Stamper said.
Mr Hill's wife and Ms Clay's family thought each of them was camping alone, but police declined to speculate further about the nature of their relationship.

Mr Hill's wife and Ms Clay's family thought each of them was camping alone, but police declined to speculate further about the nature of their relationship.
Police say drone could hold vital clues about disappearance of elderly campers

it seems odd to me that ccs family and friends assumed she went camping alone?
Bearbear, a lot of earlier news articles said Carol's family/friends were aware she was camping with RH. Definitely RH's wife was not aware of their camping arrangement--but from all articles I read, she was surprised but not angry...since CC had been a long term friend of theirs--they had known each other and were friends for several decades. she was quoted as saying "silly little bugger" in reference to being told her husband had gone camping with CC--and was now missing with her. That sounds like a lady who found amusement in her husband's clandestine affair with CC.

I've got a query on the exact location of the transmission because Wonnangatta Station itself as marked on Google Maps is 3km+ from Dry River Track at the other end of the valley. I don't know whether it would be usual to say "Wonnangatta Station" to indicate the valley in general, as distinct from Wonnangatta on the north side of the river.

I am trying to find an article I saw recently saying that it's possible the drone was destroyed in the fire.

There is a podcast transcript here that speaks of ham radio transmission in 'Wonnangatta Valley region'. There was an emergency situation and someone there had to go to the top of a hill to transmit out, and others relayed ham radio messages because the transmissions were weak.

http://www.wia-files.com/podcast/wianews-2012-04-15.txt

Bearbear, a lot of earlier news articles said Carol's family/friends were aware she was camping with RH. Definitely RH's wife was not aware of their camping arrangement--but from all articles I read, she was surprised but not angry...since CC had been a long term friend of theirs--they had known each other and were friends for several decades. she was quoted as saying "silly little bugger" in reference to being told her husband had gone camping with CC--and was now missing with her. That sounds like a lady who found amusement in her husband's clandestine affair with CC.

yes, id read that too, so just false reporting from this current affair article then?

Hill, who has been married to wife Robyn for 50 years, and Clay were last heard from on March 20, one day after they set off on their trip. It has been claimed that Hill’s wife had no idea he was taking another woman camping, with the ABC reporting that their respective families thought each of them was camping alone.
Wife of man, 74, who vanished while camping with female friend, 73, speaks out

I have looked at this pic a million times, not seeing the antenna, or a power source, or a burned up ham radio unit.
Unless he packed it all up in his vehicle. Or left it at all at Wonnangatta Station and was going to return each day to check in.
Or is it missing
Can't see it in any of these pics either.
نتيجة بحث Google عن الصور حول https://distincttoday.net/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/28784878-8353639-image-a-3_1590380213260.jpg

In this article is some information about RH's radio and antenna...Radio amateur and friend missing in Victoria | Southgate Amateur Radio News
"Scott McDonald, an avid camper himself, claims he saw the pair camping at Pikes Flat, about a month before they went missing. McDonald said the two friends introduced themselves to him after he set up camp next to them, adding he chatted to Hill, but not so much to Clay.
Russell had some wires strung up in the tree and we were asking him what it was but he was using the ham radio,” he said."
In this article: Police to take another look at vehicle of missing camper | Daily Mail Online RH's wife stated: "'I'm just cleaning up now. It's just all the radio stuff - the antennas,' she said."
I can't find the picture of RH kneeling down at his campsite with his ham radio strung to a tree either...I am continuing to look. However, apparently, he was a highly skilled amateur radio operator with a lot of radios and antennas.
You might like this article: Using an external antenna with your handheld radio - KB9VBR Antennas
It gives a good overview of the after market antennas available for handheld radios and what the range capabilities are after rigging them up.

Here is the radio that RH was using on his last call at the Wonnangatta Station:

Icom IC-706 Mark 2G

Icom IC-706 Mark IIG, Icom 706, 706MarkIIG

AUSTRALIA AMATEUR, FRIEND DISAPPEAR ON CAMPING TRIP

JIM/ANCHOR: Our top story is a developing story and a possible tragedy: As Newsline went to production, detectives in Australia were searching for an amateur radio operator missing in the Australian bush. Robert Broomhead VK3DN has the details.

ROBERT: Detectives in Victoria, Australia have been combing the remote region where an amateur radio operator with a serious medical condition disappeared during a recent camping trip. The Missing Persons Squad has been searching for Russell Hill VK3VZP and a family friend, Carol Clay, who have not been seen since the fire erupted at their campsite in the bush, authorities said. The fire destroyed a table, a tent and some camp chairs and left Russell's vehicle scorched. According to a report on ABCNet Australia, Russell was last heard on the air on using his Icom IC-706 Mark 2G on the 20th of March on 3670 kHz. Authorities said that he and four of his mates would check in with one another on the frequency every evening at 1800 hours.

Well, his friend to whom he was speaking has described the conversation as "Missing high country camper Russell Hill was upbeat and spoke without a worry in the world during his final conversation with an old mate", so I doubt very much he would have done so if someone was holding a gun on him.
Another way to take that is that Russell sounded different from usual. You wouldn't remark that someone sounded upbeat and without a worry in the world if that was his characteristic tone. (This is with reference to my--nearly dismissed--idea that it may not have been him on the call.)

Possibly he had two hats, and that was his driving one?

yes...I agree, he could have had more than one hat; I always have two hats in my truck--A Tilley Hat for hiking around...and ball cap for simple wind/sun protection.

In the photo of Russell with his drone he is wearing a very well worn baseball cap and in another photo that looks a little older of him he is wearing a navy baseball cap

Another way to take that is that Russell sounded different from usual. You wouldn't remark that someone sounded upbeat and without a worry in the world if that was his characteristic tone. (This is with reference to my--nearly dismissed--idea that it may not have been him on the call.)

I think you are reading things into his comment that just isn't there. If he thought it was odd, I'm sure he would have mentioned it. He would have recognised his voice from speaking to him regularly.

I think you are reading things into his comment that just isn't there. If he thought it was odd, I'm sure he would have mentioned it. He would have recognised his voice from speaking to him regularly.
I don't think he thought it was odd or is trying to raise a doubt with what he's saying. Just that what he said, it wasn't typical Russell. The voice might have been definitively Russell for all that. Furthermore, it's an awful risk for a perpetrator to run. When Karlie Stevenson was successfully impersonated to her mother by mobile phone, her killer was forced into the situation and even then he probably had his girlfriend make the call for him. And they both knew Karlie's voice well.

I don't think he thought it was odd or is trying to raise a doubt with what he's saying. Just that what he said, it wasn't typical Russell. The voice might have been definitively Russell for all that. Furthermore, it's an awful risk for a perpetrator to run. When Karlie Stevenson was successfully impersonated to her mother by mobile phone, her killer was forced into the situation and even then he probably had his girlfriend make the call for him. And they both knew Karlie's voice well.
With Karlie, it was text not voice.
Are you related or a good friend of Russell? Otherwise how would you know it wasn't "typical Russell" to be upbeat and without worry? He was doing what he loved with someone whose company he enjoyed. Your idea that he was already under threat is just that, an idea. I don't think there is any evidence to support it.

Yah nina(hello all of you),

This is my first time posting.
I believe there is only one possible theory, foul play.
Russell is too seasoned in the bush, to lose his bearings. He would know his car is his lifeline out in the bush, and wouldn’t stray beyond being able to make it back there. It was drivable.

Medical episode? They’d have found bodies.

Who did it? Someone he knew, or someone he had a dispute with then and there?
Would someone he knew drive all that way to take him out? In a very remote location?
If so, would they need to own a 4WD to make it?
The remoteness makes it an ideal spot to take somebody out, as opposed to Drouin or Pakenham.
Or was he accused of spying?
Two weeks in a row, camping that far away?
What was the incredible appeal there, and the urgency?

We know nothing of the sort. The fb page you posted ages ago was not his and was deleted from this thread. No use referring back to something that isn't true. Why are you misleading the posters in this thread?
<<Why are you misleading the posters in this thread?>>
Say it often and people will believe you

Does anyone know which side the gas/petrol tank is located on the 4-WD vehicle? Every time I see a picture of the singed vehicle I wonder. (Not that it would help find either one of the missing people ...)

Here's a full copy of the Herald Sun article TootsieFootsie found on Friday 26th June.

I've highlighted in orange some of the bits of info that I think are new this week.

Friend’s last conversation with missing High Country camper Russell Hill revealed
(...)

“He was sparkling like normal, he never had a worry in the world,” Mr Ashlin said.

“The way he was behaving was like he had done any other time up in the bush. He was upbeat during our last chat.”

(...)

“He’s been attacked, I believe there is more than one person involved.

“It is unbelievable if his life has ended in this manner. We are waiting on answers to get some closure.”

During their final conversation Mr Hill announced he was at Wonnangatta station and soon planned to drive to Dargo, about 70km away.

He had not been there before and asked for directions.

(...)

Something that puzzles Mr Ashlin about the mystery is why Mr Hill went camping alone in the area of the King Billy and Bluff Track between March 11 and 13 before the pair’s trip.

“He never said boo about it, it was a surprise,” he said.

“I don’t know why he went on that trip, it was only an overnight stay, and a six-hour drive each way. There is something strange about it. Robyn can’t work it out either.”

He says he fears for the worst, but hopes for the best: “We just want him found.”

Meanwhile, police have not finished their searches in the Wonnangatta area.

They intend to continue their operations when windows of good weather open up in coming months.

(...)

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's a full copy of the Herald Sun article TootsieFootsie found on Friday 26th June.

I've highlighted in orange some of the bits of info that I think are new this week.

Friend’s last conversation with missing High Country camper Russell Hill revealed

A close friend of missing camper Russell Hill says his mate was “upbeat” during their last chat and he believes the experienced bushman has been attacked.

Bairnsdale man Rob Ashlin, who has known Mr Hill for close to three decades, is the last known person to speak to him via an amateur radio network on March 20 about 6pm.

Mr Hill and close friend Carol Clay vanished without a trace sometime within the next 18 hours in Gippsland’s High Country and have not been heard from since this final call.

“He was sparkling like normal, he never had a worry in the world,” Mr Ashlin said.

“The way he was behaving was like he had done any other time up in the bush. He was upbeat during our last chat.”

Police now believe foul play is the most likely scenario in the disappearance and suspect a “third-party” was involved.

Mr Ashlin said it was uncharacteristic for Mr Hill to leave his camp unattended and believes the suspicious fire is a “decoy” to something more sinister.

“Russell would never, ever leave his vehicle,” he said.

“He’s been attacked, I believe there is more than one person involved.

“It is unbelievable if his life has ended in this manner. We are waiting on answers to get some closure.”

During their final conversation Mr Hill announced he was at Wonnangatta station and soon planned to drive to Dargo, about 70km away.

He had not been there before and asked for directions.

Mr Hill did not check in the following night, which raised alarm bells.

“We were wondering where he was,” Mr Ashlin said.

“The radio network was like a security safety net between all of us whenever we were away camping.”

Mr Hill’s wife Robyn became aware of his unusual absence from the radio network and soon reported it to police.

Something that puzzles Mr Ashlin about the mystery is why Mr Hill went camping alone in the area of the King Billy and Bluff Track between March 11 and 13 before the pair’s trip.

“He never said boo about it, it was a surprise,” he said.

“I don’t know why he went on that trip, it was only an overnight stay, and a six-hour drive each way. There is something strange about it. Robyn can’t work it out either.”

He says he fears for the worst, but hopes for the best: “We just want him found.”

Meanwhile, police have not finished their searches in the Wonnangatta area.

They intend to continue their operations when windows of good weather open up in coming months.

Search and rescue officers believe the couple are not in the zone they have already scoured.

Investigators are keen to talk to each of the up to 200 people who they believe were in the Wonnangatta area when Mr Hill and Ms Clay disappeared.

Previously reported sightings after March 21 are not believed to be the pair.
Interesting. Is it possible he had stumbled across some drug dealing or methamphetamine operation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
beanut