Australia - Russell Hill & Carol Clay Murdered While Camping - Wonnangatta Valley, 2020 #7

Status
Not open for further replies.
His barrister has indicated he intended to plead guilty to a charge of destroying police evidence before the trial started. Penalty is not that great, if found not guilty for murder, time served would likely be sufficient.

I think it’s a play on the jury’s minds. I’m guilty for this charge (jury- oh look, he is owning up to that, perhaps he is telling the truth), I’m very sorry to the families. Not to mention, it was all an accident.

Why so I get a feeling this is heading to a NG charge? I wonder if being a senior airline captain, etc, will play apart. I mean, we trust these people, hard to imagine one going off killing people like this, he doesn’t fit the profile for a murderer.

I believe the prosecution relied too heavily on the lyn's story being preposterous, without meticulously undoing it

I agree that Lynn's versions events needed to be undone methodically, but cannot be sure to what extent that may, or may not, have happened.

We rely on heavily edited (for brevity) MSM reports. I'd love to see the transcript.

His barrister has indicated he intended to plead guilty to a charge of destroying police evidence before the trial started. Penalty is not that great, if found not guilty for murder, time served would likely be sufficient.

I think it’s a play on the jury’s minds. I’m guilty for this charge (jury- oh look, he is owning up to that, perhaps he is telling the truth), I’m very sorry to the families. Not to mention, it was all an accident.

Why so I get a feeling this is heading to a NG charge? I wonder if being a senior airline captain, etc, will play apart. I mean, we trust these people, hard to imagine one going off killing people like this, he doesn’t fit the profile for a murderer.

Yes, IMO fessing up to a comparatively minor charge is definitely a ploy.

As to the verdict, if the jury has any doubt, and believes that Hill was the initial aggressor, my guess is that they may find him guilty of manslaughter of Hill and murder of Clay -- if such a decision is allowed by the judge.

.... I can't recall any police evidence regarding Lynn's campsite. It is clear that there is a lot of truth in Lynn's sequence of events, however, the open doors and loud music seemed like a construct to me, in order to place the gun in Hill's hands.
Listening to Lynn speak, To me, it seems that while he is cool & collected, he is also very much used to being in control.
Is it possible that he returned to camp site after Hill's radio talk around 6:00pm , the drone event took place ... then he,
a man holding a gun, a man who was revered in his job, used to being in charge was unable to budge a beligerant old guy with a drone, who was as we know intent upon reporting to police.?? Lynn's story of why he destroyed evidence,is also the very reason he reacted with rage . Shot or two for the drone, stuggle with Hill at Hill's campsite,,, Clay goes for the radio .. and the rest is history.
I believe the prosecution relied too heavily on the lyn's story being preposterous, without meticulously undoing it... although not so easy when the evidence has been destroyed. Nb.. the prosecution did provide the guy rope & torch, which should be of use to jury.
The prosecution asked GL what he thought/considered RH knowledge of firearms would be (can’t remember exact words) however it was like limited experience. GL had said albeit childish I opened all doors of the Patrol to liberate the music. RH gained access to the second door of the Patrol and unzipped the rifle. GL was asked so why didn’t you hear this….well the music was so loud. RH went to the passenger door and there were 2 x magazines on the front seat and RH picked up the large magazine opposed to the small magazine….GL explained that away ….wouldn’t it would be obvious the rifle would need a large magazine !!!

One thing I cannot work out is why police didn't track him to the bodies before they were burn't. I am sure police stated he was being subjected to listening devices within a few months of the deaths and had been interviewed a few months after the couple disappeared. GL returned to the bodies in late 2020 and burn't them I believe after he was interviewed and taped by police?. Mind you I belive he burn't them both because it was the only way to conceal that both were shot dead.

In 'The missing Campers Trial" podcast at about 40:45 ....

Prosecution: " ...so it was about one year an eight months from the time of their deaths to the interview. Is that correct?"

Lynn: "Yes"

Prosecution: " During that time you had plenty of time to work out what you were going to tell the Police?"

Lynn: "No. To be honest, my plan was to disappear and um, for a long time I'd thought I had and, no, no, I hadn't made up any plans."

Prosecution: "It gave you time to think about the story you were going to tell the Police. That's correct isn't it?"

Lynn: "That's not true. If I had, then I would've gone and seen a lawyer and I hadn't"

IMO,
This is Lynn accidently admitting he's lied about how they died...

Last edited:
To my point above..

Is Lynn asking us to believe that...

He would have sought the assistance of a lawyer if he'd thought that he hadn't covered his tracks well enough to 'disappear'.. but he thought he had?

And had never in the 20 months thought, what should I say to the Police to account for my innocence of the whole situation...

....in the testimony, he's forgotten that he was the only witness...

He's a cunning liar. He's basically lied to everyone around him but is expecting us to believe a concocted story. That's the way I see it and I hope the jury will too.

Last edited:
He would have sought the assistance of a lawyer if he'd thought that he hadn't covered his tracks well enough to 'disappear'.. but he thought he had?

The seek assistance of a lawyer bit -- which I guess is his way of intimating that he'd hand himself into police -- is what he says now because he has been caught.

Yet he says elsewhere that he never expected to end up in the courtroom.

IMO he never had any intention of going to a lawyer or the police. He's said that his intention was to disappear and IMO he'd decided to do that very soon after killing Hill and Clay when the consequences of his actions on his own pathetic, self-centred life quickly dawned on him.

I totally agree with you @JBowie

...but shouldn't his answer be, if he was in fact innocent, after the question... you had time to work out what you were going to tell the Police?... be something like...
....yes, I'd had a lot of time to think about what I was going to tell the Police and everything I've told them is the truth ....

Rather than.... no, I had no plan. I had only thought of getting away with my 'disappearance'. ...but if that didn't work, I'd call a lawyer.

I agree with you. I suspect this is his formulated response two years after being caught of what he would have done if he was ever caught, which was 20 months after the event.

Last edited:
One thing I cannot work out is why police didn't track him to the bodies before they were burn't. I am sure police stated he was being subjected to listening devices within a few months of the deaths and had been interviewed a few months after the couple disappeared. GL returned to the bodies in late 2020 and burn't them I believe after he was interviewed and taped by police?. Mind you I belive he burn't them both because it was the only way to conceal that both were shot dead.

Because Lynn turned his phone off, both times he went back to the region.

About 2am on May 13, just hours after a snap lockdown had ended in Victoria, Mr Lynn’s phone was recorded heading back to the Alpine region, where it remained off the network between 5am and 12.48pm.

The jury was told Mr Lynn’s phone was also “off the network” for approximately 46 hours between November 18 and 20 the same year.

He'd switched off his phone as SA linked above and the tracking of his car commenced in Dec 2020, after his visit back to the region in Nov 2020.

Lynn's movements would have been heavily restricted due to the lockdowns in Victoria.

I'd guess that as police slowly gathered more evidence and were able to demonstrate that Lynn was a cunning suspect they were able to obtain warrants to extend their surveillance.

"Detective Senior Constable Brett Florence told the court police began tracking Lynn’s car in December 2020, once Victoria’s COVID-19 lockdown had ended.

They kept surveillance on the vehicle on-and-off through to November 2021, when they arrested and charged Lynn with the double murders."

Last edited:
The part I found most interesting from the other article in my post above is "He said RH fired a shot into the air ... He fired at least a second shot I don’t know where that went. He may have fired a third time, I distinctly remember two”.
[So we have an admission that at least 2, possibly 3 shots were fired.]

Porceddu accused GL of firing several shots at CC, later telling police there were shots fired into the air as a “cover” for if others had heard.
Dann, interjected, saying it was “improper” for the prosecution to make up a version of events “in desperation”.
The Judge agreed, saying the prosecution was “inventing” an account without evidence.

Where's the evidence to support any of GL's account of how they were killed? There's none because IMO he invented it all. GL said his gun was secured in a zipped bag, the doors were locked, but he unlocked his car when he chose to blare music to annoy RH. How very convenient. He needed an excuse as to how RH got his gun.

I feel like I'm on a mission with this case.

I kind of agree that the Judge may have got this one wrong.

Generally the prosecution is allowed to put their version/theory to the accused. It is obviously the prosecution theory that any and all shots were fired by GL. GL put in evidence that shots were fired. We know at least one victim was shot.

I don't think they are inventing an account here. The question is who fired the shots.

Because Lynn turned his phone off, both times he went back to the region.

About 2am on May 13, just hours after a snap lockdown had ended in Victoria, Mr Lynn’s phone was recorded heading back to the Alpine region, where it remained off the network between 5am and 12.48pm.

The jury was told Mr Lynn’s phone was also “off the network” for approximately 46 hours between November 18 and 20 the same year.

It's remarkable how often 'phone going dark' becomes key evidence against the accused in recent years. Switching your phone off can be highly incriminating.

I’ve just come home from a couple of nights at our place out in the bush, only about 70km from Wonnangatta, in the same mountain range.. it’s the first time I’ve been out there since before the pandemic and getting into bed on Saturday night I couldn’t stop thinking about how insane the way Lynn handled things in the aftermath is. Regardless of what had actually happened to cause the deaths - to then survey that scene, in the darkness, and decide to do what he did.. loading up two bodies into a trailer, grabbing out some gloves and methodically cleaning up everything then setting fire to the rest - “following that pathway”, as well as packing up his own camp and hightailing out of there in the middle of the night..

I dunno, the thought that someone could be out there doing something like that just seemed totally bananas to me. Thankfully I eventually fell asleep lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member