Australia - Russell Hill & Carol Clay Murdered While Camping - Wonnangatta Valley, 2020 #8

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think that is the case in the state of Victoria. The state allows some convictions of 11 unanimous jurors but with the exception of a murder conviction.

Interestingly, i think the judge can accept a majority 'not guilty' verdict from 11 jurors, but not a 'guilty' verdict from 11 jurors, for the charge of murder.

That's the way i interpreted the rules anyway.

The Vic Act says .... (section specifically pertaining to murder)

A verdict that the accused is guilty or not guilty of murder or treason or an offence against section 71 or 72 of the Drugs, Poisons and Controlled Substances Act 1981or an offence against a law of the Commonwealth must be unanimous.

The Vic Act says .... (section specifically pertaining to murder)

A verdict that the accused is guilty or not guilty of murder or treason or an offence against section 71 or 72 of the Drugs, Poisons and Controlled Substances Act 1981or an offence against a law of the Commonwealth must be unanimous.

Ahhh, thanks @SouthAussie and @TootsieFootsie in the previous post!
Some light reading for a Friday night! :)

So it must be a unanimous decision from all and no less than 12 jurors for a murder trial in Victoria.

Last edited:
Interesting isn't it how he said he stole the cash as he knew he would need petrol on the way home and didn't want to use his card as it would serve as a record. So very, very calculating and thought out! 2 people have been "accidentally killed" :rolleyes: in front of you but you still have the insight to think about buying petrol on the way home.
As someone suggested earlier, perhaps not his first rodeo.....

In this day and age I don't think the awareness to use cash instead of a card is anything other than common sense when you're already in the middle of trying to cover up something that large. Honestly, it doesn't make him some criminal mastermind :rolleyes:

The delay is probably just what most would expect, one or 1 people siding with GL.

What happens if it goes to retrial, and the same potential hung jury occurs again? Is it just retrial after retrial after retrial?

Sorry for the delay everyone, someone like me is in there.

Last edited:
In this day and age I don't think the awareness to use cash instead of a card is anything other than common sense when you're already in the middle of trying to cover up something that large. Honestly, it doesn't make him some criminal mastermind :rolleyes:
It does make him a criminal though and to steal money from a dead person is about as low as you can go......until you burn their bodies and take it to a whole new level.

So all this talk about retrial, I fail to see how GL would be able to afford his Barrister for any future trials. His fees are not cheap.

VIC state can fund him if necessary, i.e. if he can prove that his assets are used up. Not sure what sort of budget would apply though, in terms of barrister fees.

Victoria Legal Aid provides free legal information, education and advice for all Victorians, focusing on people with low incomes and those experiencing disadvantage. They can also provide advice and represent people based on their financial situation and other individual circumstances.

VIC state can fund him if necessary. i.e. if he can prove that his assets are used up.

Victoria Legal Aid provides free legal information, education and advice for all Victorians, focusing on people with low incomes and those experiencing disadvantage. They can also provide advice and represent people based on their financial situation and other individual circumstances.

I don’t think the state would fund his current Barrister Mr Dunn would they?

I hadn't read that previously. Very interesting... (JMO)

Actually, this is what I was thinking of:

A house owned by a former Jetstar pilot accused of murdering two secret lovers while they were camping has been restrained by police.

Greg Lynn, 56, has been prevented from selling his $1million three-bedroom house at Caroline Springs, 33kms west of Melbourne.

It comes as he prepares to stand trial after Russell Hill, 74, and Carol Clay, 73, were found dead following a camping trip in the Wonnangatta Valley in March 2020.

In June, it was revealed Lynn was struggling to fund his legal defence with the restraining order placed on the house a further blow.

What happens to the house he lived at with his wife and children depends on the outcome of his murder trial in February.

If Lynn is found guilty, it could be sold with the proceeds being given to family members of Ms Clay and Mr Hill, the Herald Sun reported.

If he is acquitted, the restraining order on the house would be lifted and return to the control of Lynn's wife Melanie, who was made its sole proprietor in January 2022, after her husband's arrest.

Last edited:

Sorry for the delay everyone, someone like me is in there.
Glad YOU think you are funny

I don’t think the state would fund his current Barrister Mr Dunn would they?

Yes, they would and do. Dermot Dann is on the Vic Legal Aid preferred list of barristers.

It is a fairly long list, and there Dermot Dann is - in alphabetical order (by surname). Some may remember that I posted this info previously.

The Criminal Trial Preferred Barrister List includes barristers who have applied to be on the list and have satisfied the entry requirements for membership.

Dann, Dermot (KC)

Actually, this is what I was thinking of:

A house owned by a former Jetstar pilot accused of murdering two secret lovers while they were camping has been restrained by police.

Greg Lynn, 56, has been prevented from selling his $1million three-bedroom house at Caroline Springs, 33kms west of Melbourne.

It comes as he prepares to stand trial after Russell Hill, 74, and Carol Clay, 73, were found dead following a camping trip in the Wonnangatta Valley in March 2020.

In June, it was revealed Lynn was struggling to fund his legal defence with the restraining order placed on the house a further blow.

What happens to the house he lived at with his wife and children depends on the outcome of his murder trial in February.

If Lynn is found guilty, it could be sold with the proceeds being given to family members of Ms Clay and Mr Hill, the Herald Sun reported.

If he is acquitted, the restraining order on the house would be lifted and return to the control of Lynn's wife Melanie, who was made its sole proprietor in January 2022, after her husband's arrest.

Thanks for this link JBowie. Very interesting.

I'm heartened that, if Lynn is found guilty, his house "could be sold with the proceeds being given to family members of Ms Clay and Mr Hill" (as reported by the Herald Sun.)

JMO

Glad YOU think you are funny
If I'm ever on a jury, I hope there's one other contrarian, something like Ian. I can imagine the difficulty of trying to decide against the pressure of eleven people whether what I agree is improbable is yet sufficiently reasonably possible to warrant doubt. Otherwise, most likely I'd stick in my heels and say I can't think in that environment.

If I'm ever on a jury, I hope there's one other contrarian, something like Ian. I can imagine the difficulty of trying to decide against the pressure of eleven people whether what I agree is improbable is yet sufficiently reasonably possible to warrant doubt. Otherwise, most likely I'd stick in my heels and say I can't think in that environment.

We have been deliberating this case for 4 years. The jury has been deliberating it for a week.

I certainly hope no-one digs their heels in .. that they are all considering their different points of view, and forming the most reasonable conclusion ... as most of us have tried to do.

There may be some doubt, but is it reasonable doubt?

Eg: Is it reasonable to think that Russell was familiar with this firearm? That he could slip the magazine in, c@ck the shotgun, release the safety, and fire into the air a couple of times ... in the dark? He hated people putting others at risk with a gun.

Another Eg: Is it reasonable to think that Lynn heard Russell "rustling around" in his vehicle, over irritatingly loud music?

I don't care how many times a person has seen disagreeable, intoxicated people. There are things in this case that seem highly unreasonable ... and highly unlikely.

imo

Last edited:
We have been deliberating this case for 4 years. The jury has been deliberating it for a week.

I certainly hope no-one digs their heels in .. that they are all considering their different points of view, and forming the most reasonable conclusion ... as most of us have tried to do.

Eg: Is it reasonable to think that Russell was familiar with this firearm? That he could slip the magazine in, c@ck the shotgun, release the safety, and fire into the air a couple of times ... in the dark? He hated people putting others at risk with a gun.

Another Eg: Is it reasonable to think that Lynn heard Russell "rustling around" in his vehicle, over irritatingly loud music?

I don't care how many times a person has seen disagreeable, intoxicated people. There are things in this case that seem highly unreasonable ... and highly unlikely.

imo
Simply brilliant.

imo
There is no room for assumptions and any feelings of gut in the jury decision, you can't assume Russell wasn't familiar with the firearm. He has experience hunting himself. Or assume anything that happened that night if there is no evidence for it. There is reasonable doubt about how most of the confrontation took place.
There is no way a guilty verdict will happen. Lynn was safe as soon as murder was the only thing considered.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tammiwinks