Australia - Russell Hill & Carol Clay Murdered While Camping - Wonnangatta Valley, 2020 #8

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I did follow the case (many hours comparing different maps) years ago, but had been working to a deadline over May and early June, and I'm not across the trial. I remember having a bit of time afterwards and thinking I'd just read the latest on Websleuths and not post because I'd missed so many threads as well as daily reports on the trial. I guess I'll refrain from saying anything about Lynn; only that you're always persuasive. As to reasonable doubt though, the courts won't explain what it means. I wonder myself whether 'reasonable' means a reasonable amount of doubt, or any doubt so long as it's reasonable in quality--the outcome of reasoning, not just a feeling. Ultimately juries and jurors have to decide for themselves what reasonable doubt means for them.
Jury's get some advice on what reasonable doubt means. Having been on a murder trial, we discussed doubts, but in our case it was obviously not reasonably. One person didn't initially want to say guilty, but when we unpacked her doubt, it was that she never wanted to believe that someone actually murdered some one else. But she agreed that her doubt was not reasonable. The gory evidence was on the table in front of us. It was so much more traumatic for her than some of the others. There was no follow up support for jurors in those days. We were all unanimous in the end and the murderer got life. A few of us coped by imagining we were in a movie. In reality it is a horrendous experience.

Day 6 - Let's hope for everybody concerned sake it is the final day.

I was thinking the other day about how long the verdict took in Chris Dawson's murder trial.

11th July till 30th August (2022).

It must have been a very, very difficult protracted period for Lynette's family.

A bit different scenario though, with that trial being a judge-only trial.

imo

I was thinking the other day about how long the verdict took in Chris Dawson's murder trial.

11th July till 30th August (2022).

It must have been a very, very difficult protracted period for Lynette's family.

A bit different scenario though, with that trial being a judge-only trial.

imo
The Simms family also had to sweat their way through the wait for the verdict from the 3 judges from the appeal hearing (thankfully it was delivered reasonably promptly). Heard an interview with Lyn's brother Greg afterwards and it had been almost as big an ordeal for him and the others as the original trial.

As I posted before, the forensic expert did a drop test AND tested two approx 6 foot men struggling over the shotgun at the front of the vehicle.

Why would he have had his back to Lynn if they were struggling over the shotgun? Think about the angles required for Carol, who was "crouching by the rear wheel", to have been shot in the head - through the side mirror.

And Lynn "didn't see" the guy rope? Russell must have "lifted it up". Really? While he was struggling over a shot gun ... "hey, stop for a minute so I can lift up this guy rope so that it doesn't get in our way".

Hopefully the jury were shown a video of the test of two men struggling over the shotgun.

imo

In every article about Griffiths testimony in none of them has it said anything about conducting a test with 2 men struggling over a gun. He said he was asked if it could accidentally discharge during a struggle and he conducted a 'drop test' to see if it would fire when dropped. Not scenarios to see if the trigger clicks when 2 people are grabbing at it.

If its night and Lynn was at their camp talking to them he would have his back to the guy rope. It's a thin black rope. You can see the entire front of the car is open in the previous pic. It would be pitch black out there, it's possible he never even noticed it during the whole struggle. Why would Russell need to lift it out of the way when it wouldn't have got in their way? Sounded like a genuine 'i dont know' answer compared to how rehearsed some of his other answers have sounded.

The way the prosecution framed the rope getting in the way I thought it was tied to the front left of the car and if it had been it absolutely would have been in the way, but it wasn't. It's a bit disingenuous the way they've referred to it.

The ballistics expert did say Lynn's version of events was plausible.

The ballistics expert witness, Paul Griffiths, said that to fire Lynn's shotgun, the user would need to manually load the magazine, rack the bolt-action and then kock it before releasing the safety mechanism and then pulling the heavier than average, 3.95 pound trigger.

Griffiths conceded the trajectory of a shot hitting Carol Clay from where the scuffle was alleged to have occurred was plausible but did he concede it was plausible the weapon would go off inadvertently during a struggle? Assuming of course that it was first plausible that Russell Hill had loaded the weapon and factoring into that that it was dark and the weapon was setup for a left handed person? Don't forget that pesky guy rope and loud music intended to annoy either.

The defence would have us believe Russell Hill was a modern day Houdini.

(I was forced to spell a word in the 1st paragraph incorrectly as the correct spelling wasn't acceptable here)

Last edited:
An unbelievably lucky modern day Houdini it would seem…. Who, rather than counting his lucky stars for his purportedly miraculous escape from not just one, but two potential murder weapons, nonetheless had such little confidence that police would believe his account that he sought to destroy all evidence associated with his purportedly Houdini like escape?

Last edited:
An unbelievably lucky modern day Houdini it would seem…. Who, rather than counting his lucky stars for his purportedly miraculous escape from not just one, but two potential murder weapons, nonetheless had such little confidence that police would believe his account that he sought to destroy all evidence associated with his purportedly Houdini like escape?
Is there any evidence the knife even existed? Let alone that it is the reason Russell Hill is no longer with us?

I may be incorrect but my understanding is that the accused deliberately destroyed all evidence… and he is the only party still alive…making it impossible for anyone to either verify or disprove his account of events…. Very convenient one might say…. and wholly unnecessary if he truly did make a Houdini escape, as he claims…

@AussieIan .... this kind of angle. Circled in red. How did that happen, with Russell "pressed against the bullbar" at the front of the vehicle, when he "pulled the trigger"? With a shotgun set up for a left-hander - does that make it even more difficult to achieve that angle? IDK

View attachment 512553
First time posting and I have chosen your comment SA! Was Mr Hill right or left handed. The pictures in the media of him holding his drone show him holding it with his left hand IMO. I will try and refind that image. I'm also certain I read that when the 2 guys were grappling over the gun, Mr Hill was bent backwards. Looking at the picture you posted I could imagine his legs being trapped by the bumper bar as it appears there is a couple of protrudences [is that a word, I think you'll understand what I mean hopefully] either side of where the registration plate would sit [in the centre]. Mr Hill was a country lad through and through, he would know all about guns IMO. Edit: I forgot to say that if Mr Hill was bent backwards and twisted himself back around to his front he may have had an excruciating pain level and it has been said by his wife at inquest he had a very painful back due to work injury in the 1970s IMO as I can't locate the article right now. the excruciating pain may have made him involuntarily pull the trigger too. Didn't the ballistics man say to Mr Dan he didn't do any of his tests using Mr Lynn's gun in that he used a gun from the weapons store room that ballistics people use? IMO

Just refound the picture
1719198685180.png

Last edited:
The ballistics expert witness, Paul Griffiths, said that to fire Lynn's shotgun, the user would need to manually load the magazine, rack the bolt-action and then kock it before releasing the safety mechanism and then pulling the heavier than average, 3.95 pound trigger.

Griffiths conceded the trajectory of a shot hitting Carol Clay from where the scuffle was alleged to have occurred was plausible but did he concede it was plausible the weapon would go off inadvertently during a struggle? Assuming of course that it was first plausible that Russell Hill had loaded the weapon and factoring into that that it was dark and the weapon was setup for a left handed person? Don't forget that pesky guy rope and loud music intended to annoy either.

The defence would have us believe Russell Hill was a modern day Houdini.

(I was forced to spell a word in the 1st paragraph incorrectly as the correct spelling wasn't acceptable here)
The taking and loading of the unfamiliar weapon allegedly occurred between 9-10 pm.
A modern day Houdini with great night vision!

And incredible hearing too given the purported modern day Houdini allegedly overheard some romantic activity in the seniors tent, on top of his car purportedly blaring with loud music…

From his own account GL must be blessed with extraordinary perceptual strengths with regards to sight and sound, as well as possessing remarkable sensorimotor aptitudes….

First time posting and I have chosen your comment SA! Was Mr Hill right or left handed. The pictures in the media of him holding his drone show him holding it with his left hand IMO. I will try and refind that image. I'm also certain I read that when the 2 guys were grappling over the gun, Mr Hill was bent backwards. Looking at the picture you posted I could imagine his legs being trapped by the bumper bar as it appears there is a couple of protrudences [is that a word, I think you'll understand what I mean hopefully] either side of where the registration plate would sit [in the centre]. Mr Hill was a country lad through and through, he would know all about guns IMO. Edit: I forgot to say that if Mr Hill was bent backwards and twisted himself back around to his front he may have had an excruciating pain level and it has been said by his wife at inquest he had a very painful back due to work injury in the 1970s IMO as I can't locate the article right now. the excruciating pain may have made him involuntarily pull the trigger too. Didn't the ballistics man say to Mr Dan he didn't do any of his tests using Mr Lynn's gun in that he used a gun from the weapons store room that ballistics people use? IMO

Just refound the picture
View attachment 512691
Russell Hill, or anybody else for that matter, could only have pulled the trigger if they had first inserted their finger inside the trigger guard and off course the weapon would only have gone off if someone, Lynn claims it was Hill, had first manually loaded the magazine, racked the bolt-action and then kocked it before releasing the safety mechanism.

As for Hill carrying the drone in his left hand in the picture, we can't see what he might be carrying in his right hand. He could be carrying a bucket of cement for all we know. Perhaps he has his car keys in his right hand and is about to put the drone into his car? Getting really pedantic, the picture doesn't even prove Hill has a right hand.

Without trying to rain on your parade, in evidence, Lynn said "Hill advanced towards me with a knife in his right hand.”

Last edited:
Justice Michael Croucher on Monday told the court the jury had asked a series of questions, including asking for clarification on whether it had to reach the same verdict for each charge of murder.

The jury also asked Croucher to repeat the instruction regarding reaching a unanimous verdict and what happened if it was unable to reach a unanimous decision.

Justice Michael Croucher on Monday told the court the jury had asked a series of questions, including asking for clarification on whether it had to reach the same verdict for each charge of murder.

The jury also asked Croucher to repeat the instruction regarding reaching a unanimous verdict and what happened if it was unable to reach a unanimous decision.

Well done those who earlier predicted the jury might find (or at least try and find) Lynn guilty of one murder but not the other.

And incredible hearing too given the purported modern day Houdini allegedly overheard some romantic activity in the seniors tent, on top of his car purportedly blaring with loud music…

From his own account GL must be blessed with extraordinary perceptual strengths with regards to sight and sound, as well as possessing remarkable sensorimotor aptitudes….
A man of many remarkable skills....if he is to be believed

JMO

Edging closer to a "guilty" verdict on at least one count of murder IMO.

JMO it must be an intense situation for members of the jury. I'm gaining the impression from questions asked as reported
in the media, that the jury is taking a logical approach, and not rushing unnecessarily.

My thoughts go out to them, as well of course, as the loved ones of Carol Clay and Russell Hill and GL's loved ones.

MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member