Australia - Russell Hill & Carol Clay Murdered While Camping - Wonnangatta Valley, 2020 #8

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Robyn Hill has spoken to the Herald Sun.

(paraphrased)

She says the verdict could have been better, but she was relieved that Lynn is not walking free.

She watched the verdict by an AV link (I am thinking that perhaps Lynn's wife did also).

The way Robyn sees it is that an innocent person doesn't get rid of the bodies.

She says she is glad that it is over, and how she has a lot of respect for lead detective Brett Florence.

She has no hard feelings towards Carol ... stating that Carol was an intelligent woman.

She says it was a bit hard at the start, but she has found ways to keep herself occupied and move on.

I'm surprised the jury found him guilty of murdering Carol but not Russell. My rationale for their decision is that there were many variables as to how Russell died and that they couldn't reach a unanimous decision. I still believe he murdered both of them.
No one ever knows what happens in a jury room. Jury's are told by the Judge what to consider and that is what they have to consider.

No one ever knows what happens in a jury room. Jury's are told by the Judge what to consider and that is what they have to consider.
Correct. I found it a valuable and interesting experience serving on a jury and think everybody should do it if they are provided the opportunity to.

The system we operate under of being judged by a jury made up of our peers was instigated to safeguard against potential corruption or bias and although not perfect, seems to be the best method available.

“After Carol Clay and Russell Hill vanished in Victoria’s remote alpine region, investigators began exploring other cold cases and a possible “Ivan Milat” situation.”

“Sergeant Florence said he found five unsolved cases in the region; Warren Meyer in 2008, David Prideaux in 2011, Conrad Whitlock in 2019, Niels Becker the same year, and an unnamed fifth person.”

“After Carol Clay and Russell Hill vanished in Victoria’s remote alpine region, investigators began exploring other cold cases and a possible “Ivan Milat” situation.”

“Sergeant Florence said he found five unsolved cases in the region; Warren Meyer in 2008, David Prideaux in 2011, Conrad Whitlock in 2019, Niels Becker the same year, and an unnamed fifth person"

What the jury wasn’t told about the missing campers case

"A former roommate of Lynn’s back in the 1990s recalled Lynn flying an air ambulance out of Tullamarine."

"The man said even back then the pilot loved to walk alone in the bush, often going on multi-day hikes through Victoria’s High Country and parts of Tasmania."

Sly of the Underworld's take on the verdicts, audio within the link.
Took a listen to this. John Sylvester is almost always on the money, has been for decades and raises 2 good points :

1/ Medical opinion is nobody dies instantly from a single knife wound. So even if we were to believe Lynn's claim that Hill fell on his knife, he would not, as Lynn claimed, have died instantly.

2/ A ballistic opinion Sly sought said the chances of a shot hitting someone in the head via a car mirror was billions to one. Billions! As Sly said, the shot that hit the mirror was probably Lynn's first attempt at trying to kill Carol Clay. A subsequent shot or shots are then likely to have hit and killed her. Perhaps if Lynn had claimed numerous shots went off during the 'scuffle' it might have sounded a little less far-fetched?

Last edited:
In the early days of the thread, there were all kinds of theories posted.
Right from Russell having a heart attack while they were on a walk and Carol not being able to find the way back, plus not taking a phone on the walk due to no reception. We did think they may have had handheld walkie talkies,

Being shot by accident by a hunter and carted away was another theory.
And then maybe they decided to run off together, after the news said they were secret lovers.

So yes there were a lot of interesting posts, I'd say all of them just theories. Some more way out than others.
Who could have predicted the real truth.

Don't know, but I've been reading through this person's posts again, and linking any posts that are interesting without naming the poster.

JMVHO.
And there’s a few very interesting posts IMO.

I do hope Vic Pol were following on websleuths back then and/or that certain shall I say ‘curiosities’ were brought to their attention.

In the early days of the thread, there were all kinds of theories posted.
Right from Russell having a heart attack while they were on a walk and Carol not being able to find the way back, plus not taking a phone on the walk due to no reception. We did think they may have had handheld walkie talkies,

Being shot by accident by a hunter and carted away was another theory.
And then maybe they decided to run off together, after the news said they were secret lovers.

So yes there were a lot of interesting posts, I'd say all of them just theories. Some more way out than others.
Who could have predicted the real truth.
I particularly like this comment from earlier on :

"Everything on here is conjecture and much of it assumes someone went to ridiculous length to conceal a crime."

I can only imagine how the jury members are feeling today as they are now allowed to read the press stories. Very short-changed indeed.

Yep, but that's the system. While it does ensure that only the case-relevant facts presented in court are up for consideration, it also helps avoid claims by the defence of a mistrial due to some procedural error.

I think if Lynn was found guilty of more offences they would likely apply the sentences concurrently. But if he was successful in appealing the murder charge, it might at least mean he remains in prison.

Lynn has also served at least a couple of years jail already, so anything more he is handed might be reduced because of that.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mary0309
Back