Found Deceased Australia - Sanaya Sahib, 15 mos, Heidelberg West, Vic, 9 April 2016 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
She was charged after making a "full confession" and investigators are no longer looking at anyone else. I'm more surprised than I expected to be... maybe now that we've been given a glimpse of her home life, I'm wondering if she's being frightened into confessing as a safer option. I still don't understand how she could have done this entirely on her own. Although her FB page makes her seem more feisty and independent than I had thought in the beginning.

I think she totally could have done it on her own (like so many mothers before her) and she likely confessed because LE was easily able to poke holes in her story, especially with the CCTV footage that clearly shows her walking back casually from the park without a hint of distress.

Why would she need help in suffocating a baby and putting her on the creek? It's not a very elaborate scheme.

Just another crazy person who murdered her baby. There is no 'why?'; it just is. I do not care what mental or physical problems she suffered because I am of the opinion that a person must be crazy/insane/nuts/mentally impaired/damaged goods to kill any innocent and helpless person. It doesn't make the baby less dead to know why the mother smothered her a few times before getting it right, tossing her dead body in a creek and claiming a bare footed Somalian man abducted the baby from its pram.

I am sure that infanticide has existed as long as their have been babies, although the lesser animals rarely kill their own.

Id like to know the family structure/bond of Fijian Indians and if the women have the attitude of 'one in, all in' or were they lone immigrants with no other family in Australia.
I know the Phillipinos and the Samoans have all a very close & strong religious fellowship here. It's to be admired.

I wonder if the book she was holding in court was a religious book, like say, the Koran.
If so, then maybe she could have relied on the 'religious sisterhood' for help.
Sanaya Sahib.jpg

She's using the Koran the same way other prisoners claim to find God on death row IMO, as a tool of manipulation .. That's why it's so up front and obvious.

She will likely try and claim PND and whatever else she thinks will help her reduce her punishment for this clearly pre planned crime.

I agree with others that think she murdered her baby to punish the father, she's probably been using the poor child as emotional leverage against him her whole short life.

I think we all knew the mother was the one that did it, I know I wasn't surprised when I heard. PND?

I think we all knew the mother was the one that did it, I know I wasn't surprised when I heard. PND?

I wasn't surprised, i didn't want to believe it was possible.

I know having a baby and then a 'terrible twos' toddler can be the hardest job on earth. I didn't have family support.

The rewards can be 10 fold.

I've been suffering PND for 35 years.....the older they get the bigger the problems. (Wink ;))

http://www.9news.com.au/national/20...-woman-with-murder-over-death-of-14-month-old

Mr Sahib said he had separated from Nikat about a year ago and had been restricted from seeing Sanaya for the past six months.

However, he said he received a call from Nikat around a week ago asking him to see his daughter again.

"She just said it' been a long time, come see her," Mr Sahib said.

"It's a bit suspicious, I *reckon."

The father said he had learnt that Sanaya and her mother were in *contact with the department of human services but when he approached government agencies about them he was advised to contact a lawyer.

He said he trusted that they would safeguard the welfare of his child so that "nothing like this would ever happen."

Mr Sahib said he is now focussed on arranging Sanaya's funeral.

For WSers interested in further research into domestic/family homicide (or, more accurately, 'filicide' in Sanaya's case):

Family homicide in Australia
Trends & issues in crime and criminal justice no. 255
Jenny Mouzos and Catherine Rushforth
ISBN 0 642 53805 0 ; ISSN 0817-8542
Canberra: Australian Institute of Criminology, June 2003

http://aic.gov.au/publications/current series/tandi/241-260/tandi255.html

and the follow-up paper:

Domestic/family homicide in Australia
Research in practice no. 38
Tracy Cussen & Willow Bryant
ISSN 1836-9111
Canberra: Australian Institute of Criminology, May 2015

http://aic.gov.au/publications/current series/rip/21-40/rip38.html

This is cold comfort for the children who have been murdered by the parent they were dependent upon to nurture and protect them, as well as for their other parent, sibling(s) and extended family.

Such a sad ending to a life so full of potential.

I knew this would be the outcome with every fiber of my being....I just kept silently checking back waiting for the arrest. I too think this was for revenge and freedom, she discarded that baby like garbage. I think her face as she was being led out said it all, and I will not comment further on that. I just cannot wrap my mind around how someone can harm a baby....I would have taken her and loved her up...(and there are tens of thousands like me). There is no lack of people who will care for a baby, or adopt. I had a friend who struggled with her baby years ago, She would get frazzled, I would take him for hours and sometimes for a day or two....There are good people to turn to that will help, just speak up. My friend had no risk of losing her son, why? Because she had a person who cared who would help at the drop of a hat. Reach out if your struggling, you would be shocked how many are willing to help....IMHO

Hi - long time time lurker and first time poster here.
I'm of a Fiji-Indian background and thought it may be worthy to mention that in our culture we are taught from a young age to not call adults by their name. Hence all elders automatically become aunty or uncle simply because it is impolite to take their name. The other thing is we don't have a word for "cousin" so you just call them brother or sister.
The family that Safina were staying with are they her actual family or simply acquaintances?

Apologies if it has been mentioned already..I'm only halfway through reading this thread.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Mother's 'Mona Lisa' face:
The expression on this mother's face could be revealing in hindsight. She is captured smiling always with a 'closed mouth' when next to Sanaya. Her expression seems 'contained', not open and joyous. My opinion only.

Hi - long time time lurker and first time poster here.
I'm of a Fiji-Indian background and thought it may be worthy to mention that in our culture we are taught from a young age to not call adults by their name. Hence all elders automatically become aunty or uncle simply because it is impolite to take their name. The other thing is we don't have a word for "cousin" so you just call them brother or sister.
The family that Safina were staying with are they her actual family or simply acquaintances?

Apologies if it has been mentioned already..I'm only halfway through reading this thread.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Thank you, that is a very interesting insight - so possibly she hadn't gone to "stay with her uncle" but instead was choosing to live in a druggie house? Will be interesting what facts actually emerge, considering that she's given a full confession I assume she will plead guilty and some details may not become public knowledge.

Shannon DeeryVerified account ‏@s_deery 2m2 minutes ago Melbourne, Victoria
Sofina Nikat, 22, will face the Melbourne Magistrates Court shortly charged with murdering baby daughter Sanaya.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-04-...der-of-melbourne-toddler-sanaya-sahib/7320842

Sanaya Sahib death: Mother Sofina Nikat charged with murder of Melbourne toddler found in creek

Sofina Nikat, 22, faced an out-of-sessions court hearing after being charged with one count of murder.
Nikat had been questioned in the presence of her lawyer after being arrested...
Nikat made the full admission during a police interview.
Nikat is yet to officially enter a plea.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissingWithoutAnswers
Back