Australia Australia - Tamam Shud Case - Male, Dec 1948

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I had a theory that Somerton Man knew that he didn't have much longer to live, and therefore decided to see his son before he died. It seems to me to be just too much of a coincidence that he was found dead near Jestyn's house, that he had her phone number, that she nearly fainted when shown his body, and that Robin Thompson had 2 significant identical quite rare facial features. Add the fact of SM's legs and feet being like those of a dancer, and Robin going on to become a ballet dancer himself. Also I believe I read that Robin's mother took him to a dance class when he was just 3, and he took to it "like a duck to water."
That would be highly unusual, to take anyone to dance classes so young, let alone a boy. To me that implies that she knew very well that his father was a dancer. So many coincidences! Seven, I think? Not really believable IMO.
My theory then had SM committing suicide on the nearby beach, having achieved his last wish. Or possibly out of despair if Jestyn refused to let him see Robin.
But unfortunately my theory falls down, because I assume that if SM did have a fatal condition, it would have been found during his autopsy. Although, perhaps he wasn't dying at all, but simply keen to see his son before he had to leave the country, and killed himself out of disappointment when he wasn't allowed to. But then, why would he have the means to kill himself on him? Regardless, all those coincidences cannot be ignored.

I'm skeptical of any claim of decipherment where they don't give the solution. Especially when the person claiming victory is a scholar of mysticism and poetry, not a linguist or cryptographer. And when the solution hasn't been published in a peer-reviewed scholarly journal, but only a self-published book.

I thought there was a general consensus that the text is not a code, but represents initial letters of the words of a few sentences - eg. "MLIABOAIAQC" = "My life is all but over and I am quite content"- as if Somerton Man was trying to compose a note or poem and wrote down initials as shorthand. This article explains that theory and I find it convincing: NLP Confidential: Murder and NLP: The Taman Shud Case Splash Page

If this is correct, though, it's impossible to truly decipher because there are too many possibilities. So new claims to have cracked the "code" like this one will keep coming...

Nowhere Man - The Dissapearance of Everett Reuss • Salt Lake Magazine
Everette_child.jpg

Everett’s early attempts at clay sculpting—influenced by his artistic mother—no doubt. Image Courtesy: Special Collections, J. Willard Marriott Library, the University of Utah

This is fascinating. To my untrained eye the ear and the eyes have similarities. If the Somerton Man reveals DNA, then this can be compared with descendants. How exciting.

This is fascinating. To my untrained eye the ear and the eyes have similarities. If the Somerton Man reveals DNA, then this can be compared with descendants. How exciting.

There is a possible/potential granddaughter in Australia, the granddaughter of the nurse who lived near the beach where the UID died. Her phone number was found in his belongings. So there are definately people waiting for DNA comparison.

Omar Khayyam Center can “report” having deciphered the code all they want. They can even act shocked that the rest of the world was so dim as to have not recognized such a simplistic solution years ago. But I’m not buying it (or their book!).

The most important PART of deciphering the code remains actually DECIPHERING the code.

So, what does the code say (and not in some mystic rhyme or quatrain or rune pls)? If you can’t tell us what the code says, you haven’t solved the code.

I personally think the theories about the granddaughter in Australia are correct, but I’ll keep waiting for the DNA results, thank you very much.

All jmo

Last edited:
SM did not have her phone number in person. The number was discovered inside the book of which the torn piece of Tamam Shud had been taken from. The code too was found in the book. Also, the piece of paper that it was written on, was not found, the pen used left an indentation of number/code inside the book.

You are the first person to ever agree to my saying that SM could be Everett Ruess. I have read Everett's diaries and on his adventures, in his possessions he has his own copy of The Rubiyat - although Everett refers to it as 'Old Omar'. He writes about reading it often to other campers by the light of a campfire. He even writes down some verses to send home to his family. I'm not sure if it was ever found but his 1934 Diary was missing, as were other items. He also writes of having something wrong with his eyes.. waking one morning and claimed he was blind for a full hour. The problem persists throughout his journeys. His mother 'Stella Knight Ruess was a dancer! His grandfather 'William Henry Knight is well documented. He was a philosopher. Had friends in high places. He is also credited with the naming of Lake Tahoe.

Well, so the "expert" who claims to have cracked the code (sort of) also says that SM had a terminal illness. If only he had read my post of 31 October 2021, where I said that surely a terminal illness would have been discovered at the autopsy.

Last edited:
Another interesting turn of events was the finding that Rachel Egan, the Somerton Man's presumptive granddaughter, was also a familial match to her presumptive step-father, Prosper Thomson. That doesn't make him the real father. It's still TSM, IMO. I'm guessing Jessica and her husband Prosper were cousins.

Prosper Thomson’s Family Tree.

So the familial DNA test appears to be "telling" but was not deemed sufficient -- hence the exhumation and new tests. But I doubt the DNA test on the presumptive grandfather would give much different results. Unless they made a big mistake, the family trees would be the same and the relational separation or determinations would only be slightly refined.

P.S. I contacted 10 of the Admins of the Family Trees that included the 1st-2nd cousin of TSM, as determined by the reported results of the familial DNA test, and only 1 out of the 10 gave any sort of a reply.

I think the article is suggesting that TSM is a cousin of Prosper Thomson instead of just saying that Jessica Thomson probably married a cousin and therefore Rachel’s “step-grandfather” Prosper is also her cousin.

Why, do you think, the police photographed the reel of Barbour’s Thread with the tools and labelled white tie?

Doeologist, thanks … are you suggesting that the thread may have prompted a memory of, or association to an individual?

Why, do you think, the police photographed the reel of Barbour’s Thread with the tools and labelled white tie?

I expect that LE photographed everything in the deceased pockets, and IIRC there is a suitcase in train station locker? Easier to keep photographs in a file folder, after all.

The articles are hopefully still stored somewhere.

jmho ymmv lrr

Doeologist, thanks … are you suggesting that the thread may have prompted a memory of, or association to an individual?
Yes, this would be done in the hope of somebody recognizing the contents of the suitcase for identification purpose. The thread, it seems, proves TSM was the owner of the suitcase, since it matched thread used to repair a pocket on his trousers. I've always felt that the artist tools are the key to identifying him. Having muscular calf's could indicate a number of jobs/hobbies, could be hereditary even. The dancer theory is a guess at best. However, the artist tools are a fact.. it does beg the question however, - where is the art?

VC, that question has always confounded me, though I have found evidence that some artists have used stencilling tools to reproduce artwork sourced from various editions of the Rubaiyat, which as you know is very rich in design, the page borders in particular.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CATCHASE
Back