Australia Australia - Theo Hayez, 18, Belgian backpacker, Byron Bay, 31 May 2019 #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
As soon as he walks away from CM there is no picture/video of him anymore that is linked to the GPS.
I believe that the chance is higher that somebody walked with him from CM, than that he met somebody at the REC ground.

And anyone could come from literally any direction in that part of town.
Sadly without Theo or the phone to glean insight from, the coroner calling for the other phones in that area at the time to be identified (as previously discussed) could be the only way to know who was around him, assuming they had a phone.
I’ve been hoping the inconclusive DNA on the hat originally meant there was another hair to ID, or that his phone would turn up, or that the person/s who know what happened come forward or for some new info.

I think most of us that are familiar with the area would agree it’s highly unlikely he went missing having a swim or trying to get to the lighthouse.

At night it’s pitch dark already as soon as you walk away in the direction that Theo did from CM. Therefore i expect him to have walked off with somebody from the CM, otherwise you would definedly walk the main road.

The REC grounds is the second no-go area if you’re alone, it’s shady and dark there. Would avoid this in a unfamiliar town. (and even when you know the place you will avoid it)

Everything after the REC grounds is totally out of any logical and sensible route, speed etc.

I believe that by every step taken from CM it’s less logical and more out of character.

Because there is no body found, no traces, it should be a “local” who is involved, or somebody with a lot of knowledge of the area.

Are there any other similair disaperances anywhere in Australia that are unsolved?

At night it’s pitch dark already as soon as you walk away in the direction that Theo did from CM. Therefore i expect him to have walked off with somebody from the CM, otherwise you would definedly walk the main road.

The REC grounds is the second no-go area if you’re alone, it’s shady and dark there. Would avoid this in a unfamiliar town. (and even when you know the place you will avoid it)

Everything after the REC grounds is totally out of any logical and sensible route, speed etc.

I believe that by every step taken from CM it’s less logical and more out of character.

Because there is no body found, no traces, it should be a “local” who is involved, or somebody with a lot of knowledge of the area.

Are there any other similair disaperances anywhere in Australia that are unsolved?

Australia - Australia - Dylan Dickie, 19, Cessnock, NSW, 23 June 2016
Dylan Dickie is still missing. His grandfathers murderer has apparently been extradited from NZ but the two cases have been said not to be linked.

I havnt got many others to note as most of them listed missing are either found and it’s unreported or not updated, or a resolution has been come to as to what happened to them.

This doesn't fit the MO tho. In your scenarios, a man off meds was involved in a hit and run. He actually left the body and ran.

Theo's disappearance was meticulously undertaken with a clear head, enough to remove / hide / tamper with evidence, and seems like there was an understanding of the consequences of the crime.

I don't believe Theo's disappearance is the product of someone who lost control of their mental clarity or faculties. It's the same reason why I don't believe this was the result of backpackers hanging out and taking bad drugs or going on an alcohol binge during a bonfire.

I'm inclined towards:
- the kids who normally occupy the oval might know more than anyone
- this might have a link to a serial killer or even the two backpackers who disappeared before Theo in Port Macquarie (that MO is very similar!).

On a completely separate note, I once heard a story about a man who for unknown reasons, travelled to another state to insert himself into the search efforts of a missing person. Unrelatedly, this man happened to have a black soundproof van with tinted windows and inside, there was a large metal trunk with a lock, big enough that someone could lie inside.

After the person went missing, the man began 'refurbishing' the van, piece by piece. First the carpet. Then the bumper. Then he sold the van itself. Because he was 'involved' in the search he came off looking like a hero, and he was able to tell tall tales that contributed to the overall confusion and disinformation about the case. He may have even tampered with evidence because he had access to the scene.

There's quite a lot of psychology about perpetrators choosing to hide in plain sight and continuing to control and manipulate the situation even after their initial crime. This story has absolutely nothing to do with Theo, I just thought it was very interesting to see how a perpetrator's mind works.

Last edited by a moderator:
This doesn't fit the MO tho. In your scenarios, a man off meds was involved in a hit and run. He actually left the body and ran.

Theo's disappearance was meticulously undertaken with a clear head, enough to remove / hide / tamper with evidence, and seems like there was an understanding of the consequences of the crime.

I don't believe Theo's disappearance is the product of someone who lost control of their mental clarity or faculties. It's the same reason why I don't believe this was the result of backpackers hanging out and taking bad drugs or going on an alcohol binge during a bonfire.

I'm inclined towards:
- the kids who normally occupy the oval might know more than anyone
- this might have a link to a serial killer or even the two backpackers who disappeared before Theo in Port Macquarie (that MO is very similar!).

On a completely separate note, I once heard a story about a man who for unknown reasons, travelled to another state to insert himself into the search efforts of a missing person. Unrelatedly, this man happened to have a black soundproof van with tinted windows and inside, there was a large metal trunk with a lock, big enough that someone could lie inside.

After the person went missing, the man began 'refurbishing' the van, piece by piece. First the carpet. Then the bumper. Then he sold the van itself. Because he was 'involved' in the search he came off looking like a hero, and he was able to tell tall tales that contributed to the overall confusion and disinformation about the case. He may have even tampered with evidence because he had access to the scene.

There's quite a lot of psychology about perpetrators choosing to hide in plain sight and continuing to control and manipulate the situation even after their initial crime. This story has absolutely nothing to do with Theo, I just thought it was very interesting to see how a perpetrator's mind works.
I’ve heard of people like this. Unfortunately lots of helpful info about them is often removed or lost in discussion.
I honestly forgot about that possibility and absolutely agree something along those lines could have taken place.
I sincerely hope the coroner comes up with something solid.

@Peralta

That whole van restauration story fits something that has been mentioned in the podcast.

the interesting thing with the two french backpackers is that they both where on the beach and spoke french.

What would be possible motive if the two are connected?
All of them speak mainly French, both of them backpack, same age group, all male

IMO the French back packers clothes were on the beach, to me that looks like they intended to go into the water. Extremely smart serial killer if that's how it happened and couldn't possible have not left traces of their dna on the clothes of the French back packers

The camp site with the perfect tarp right near the beach that the phone ran past had better have been dna tested, it was a spot used by the suspect to observe people on the beach. It takes a lot of skill to set up a tarp like that definitely not something you could do unless you had training. I think he may have been kidnapped by a commune sort of religious tribe. I think there could be a corrupt leader in the hills of Byron or nimbin who may have started a cult. He or she may have recruited people from Byron to brain was with drugs sort of like datura basically an extremely strong mind altering drug that can be extracted from plants. I've heard of it being blown into the face of unsuspecting people and they will happily do anything you ask, I've head of people getting their houses robbed and taking robber happily to the bank to with draw all their money then they come back to reality in a few days and realise they've been robbed but can't really do anything about it. Maybe the leader was in with cheeky monkeys he's probs manipulated them or has a girl or someone who recruits people in cheeky monkeys. I also think the homeless man with bushy hair who was acting strange could speed things along along a little. I'm 99.99% sure I've seen him twice in tweed at the end of last year before corona virus hit. Does anyone who if he's been found and ruled out by detectives yet. I'm not sure if this is the work of a serial killer or a cult leader but we need to all try our best to get the answers sooner rather than later for Theo's family. I personally don't think police have done anywhere near enough on this case. Its starting to look like that could have been a credible sighting on the side of the road in Coffs, does the description of the ill patient with the van match the description of the man on the side of the road with the body yelling for help when the lady drove off.

I think if the dna from the tarp and campsite/prey spot and the hat all match they need to test the missing homeless mans sister and father who said they haven't spoke to him for years just to rule him out because for all we know he might have just started living there after the real suspect already left town cause it wasn't within 24 hours he was reported missing and people started searching

3 French speaking people all going missing from the east coast of Australia in a close enough radius is a bit too much of a coincidence. Has anything been found on that jaw bone that washed up I'm really hoping it belonged to the French back packers or Theo, cause I haven't heard of any other 20 year old males going missing from around that erea. I just hope it's been identified

Does anybody know why the family thinks he has been taken by a cult?
And where and what are these cults? I know they are everywhere in and around byron but it might be good to make a list here?

I was on this thread around the time TH went missing.
These theories have been discussed and I would like to offer another angle.
Kidnapped? Perhaps his disappearance was intentional. There are theories that the family was not in the best place. There has been talk of drugs. Ice especially.
I agree, 3 backpackers in the area in such a time frame could suggest an active predator. But until anyone knows if TH is alive or dead, the theory is not justified. I have seen footage taken after TH's disappearance of a male, in sunglasses, but resembling TH. I would assess he was the person's state was affected by drugs. I can't say it was TH, I can't say it wasn't.
So the previous threads have had people investigate his cell phone data and exact locations of pings up until his phone stopped signaling( in case you guys haven't checked or didn't know.)
Then there are the clubs that were found. One in the bushland with bloodstains on it. It must not have tested positive with the DNA of TH. And there was a sighting along the road at nights, someone driving saw 2 figures on the side of the road, one appeared to be laying down, assumed drunk. I might be foggy on all of this, so you'll have to look through some stuff.
I'm not suggesting it's not worth looking. Fresh eyes and minds are always good. If there's anything you might like to ask about the previous WS thread, feel free to ask, otherwise go through the information, but there is so much. I would really like to know what happened to TH or if he is still with us.

Does anybody know why the family thinks he has been taken by a cult?
And where and what are these cults? I know they are everywhere in and around byron but it might be good to make a list here?
I don’t think the cult theory is something they are currently running with, I think it was mentioned by one of the psychics On YouTube who have speculated early on that he may be alive but held captive somewhere.

It’s definitely worth reading through all the threads if you’re interested James

Last edited:
I was on this thread around the time TH went missing.
These theories have been discussed and I would like to offer another angle.
Kidnapped? Perhaps his disappearance was intentional. There are theories that the family was not in the best place. There has been talk of drugs. Ice especially.
I agree, 3 backpackers in the area in such a time frame could suggest an active predator. But until anyone knows if TH is alive or dead, the theory is not justified. I have seen footage taken after TH's disappearance of a male, in sunglasses, but resembling TH. I would assess he was the person's state was affected by drugs. I can't say it was TH, I can't say it wasn't.
So the previous threads have had people investigate his cell phone data and exact locations of pings up until his phone stopped signaling( in case you guys haven't checked or didn't know.)
Then there are the clubs that were found. One in the bushland with bloodstains on it. It must not have tested positive with the DNA of TH. And there was a sighting along the road at nights, someone driving saw 2 figures on the side of the road, one appeared to be laying down, assumed drunk. I might be foggy on all of this, so you'll have to look through some stuff.
I'm not suggesting it's not worth looking. Fresh eyes and minds are always good. If there's anything you might like to ask about the previous WS thread, feel free to ask, otherwise go through the information, but there is so much. I would really like to know what happened to TH or if he is still with us.

Theres also the theory of his disappearance being a bogus case to have privacy/WhatsApp laws changed because of the Mystery message on WhatsApp sent to an unknown recipient.

I doubt it's a bogus case, considering the resources put in to the investigation by family members. The cult? Well, I did live in Byron for 8 months, with backpackers. Went to bush Doofs. Lived in Nimbin for 8 months. IDK about a cult taking TH. Perhaps him joining an alternative lifestyle community is of consideration. There's been a few sus characters throughout this event, but not much has panned out. IDK what to think at this time. There are others that would have far better insights and theories than myself. I hope you have better resources and luck than we did last time. Someone has to know something.

Has anyone compiled a list of confirmed missing people around the area yet?

Another local missing person post updated today.

POLICE SEARCH BUSH LAND IN BYRON FOR A WOMAN REPORTED MISSING IN JANUARY

Police are searching bush land and makeshift campsites along the Byron coastline today for a woman reported missing in January.

42 year Thea Liddle was last seen in Mooball, on the Tweed, in October last year, but was reported missing by her family to the Queensland Police in January.

Police say she lived a nomadic life but would always stay in contact with her family.

Detectives have established Strike Force Holby to investigate the circumstances surrounding her disappearance.

At the time of her disappearance, Thea was staying at a property on Tweed Valley Way, at Mooball, with a man, then-aged 46.

She is known to frequent several Far North Coast locations, including Mooball, Nimbin and Byron Bay.

Police and her family hold grave concerns for her safety as there has been no activity from her bank accounts or mobile phone since early November 2019.

As part of their investigations, detectives searched a property at Mooball in May.

ABC North Coast

Skeletal remains are found in bushland near Byron Bay where backpacker Theo Hayez and nomadic woman Thea Liddle went missing.

Skeletal remains have been discovered by police in remote bush near Byron Bay
Police were searching for clues into disappearance of traveller Thea Liddle, 42.
Belgian backpacker Theo Hayez, 18, also went missing in the area in May 2019 .

Police are so far unable to determine if the bones belong to a man or a woman.

Skeletal remains found in Byron Bay search where Theo Hayez went missing | Daily Mail Online

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GowBuj
Back