Australia - Warriena Wright, 26, dies in balcony fall, Surfers Paradise, Aug 2014 #11

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I live in a small highrise unit block but fortunately I chose a ground floor unit because I still wanted the feel of having a back yard which I have converted into a peaceful rainforest setting & garden.........My neighbour upstairs says how lucky I am to have this.........He only has a small back balcony & stairs leading up to his front door.........Whenever I visit, I feel terribly claustrophobic & imprisoned.

You really couldn't cope, I feel, with your suggestion of bolting a metal grill on the balcony because you at least NEED to be able to LOOK OUT with that clearing & some fresh air, otherwise there is a total feeling of being trapped......Even with the risk of falling from the balcony, let's face it, for all the highrise blocks of units, really there aren't that many accidents of people falling from them.

You don't really understand if you haven't lived in a highrise unit block in the long term.........Even with an open balcony you can still feel claustrophobic........The only time I feel that it is really dangerous is when I see children on these high-rise balconies......MOO.

Yes I agree. When I decided to move into the city 7 years ago a balcony was an important factor. In a one bedroom apartment I need to be able to sit outside sometimes. It's a tragedy when someone falls but that shouldn't take away my right to sit on my open-air balcony and enjoy it.

I think this is the second article I've seen that is in the vein. not sure if the other one was by the same author.

Thanks for posting this, Toots. Looks like someone's angling for his exclusive 'story'. Good luck positioning that News Ltd.

As for the 'story', meh. :popcorn:

The other one was sort of a "time to move on" article. Could have been by someone else, or even not the same paper,
but I imagine there might be a bidding war going on.

I have been in a high rise on holiday, and i hated it. I certainly couldn't live in one and never would. I am claustrophobic for sure and get anxious in elevators. I also think the concrete jungles are ugly IMO, and much prefer to be in amongst nature.

Each to their own I guess!

I think this is the second article I've seen that is in the vein. not sure if the other one was by the same author.

The other one was sort of a "time to move on" article. Could have been by someone else, or even not the same paper,
but I imagine there might be a bidding war going on.

Maybe. Nevertheless, 'loose lips sink ships'.

ETA: Is this the article you were thinking of, Toots?

'The 30-year-old did not speak to the huge media throng outside the Brisbane Supreme Court but his lawyer said he wanted to put the case behind him.

"He is looking forward to moving on with his life. He thanks the people who have supported him through this and realised how tragic this has been for many people," Nick Dore said.'

xxxxx xxxxxx trial ends as it began - dramatically

Originally Posted by Karinna View Post
I have been in a high rise on holiday, and i hated it. I certainly couldn't live in one and never would. I am claustrophobic for sure and get anxious in elevators. I also think the concrete jungles are ugly IMO, and much prefer to be in amongst nature.

Each to their own I guess!

I used to think that the views from up high weren't worth it, me actually being scared of heights. But after watching some tv shows where the characters live in a very high apartment, I began to see the view as something beautiful, even if its not a beach view or sydney harbour bridge view, the night lights of buildings around can be amazing to look at. Now when I watch those shows, the views are almost better than the programme and I look forward to them lol.

But still for me I love my ground level house and garden, think I would hate to just have a balcony, though I never have had one but I think I would feel sort of confined.

Originally Posted by Karinna View Post

I used to think that the views from up high weren't worth it, me actually being scared of heights. But after watching some tv shows where the characters live in a very high apartment, I began to see the view as something beautiful, even if its not a beach view or sydney harbour bridge view, the night lights of buildings around can be amazing to look at. Now when I watch those shows, the views are almost better than the programme and I look forward to them lol.

But still for me I love my ground level house and garden, think I would hate to just have a balcony, though I never have had one but I think I would feel sort of confined.

TootsieFootsie, Thanks for your perspective and i appreciate a lot of people love living in high rise apartments and houses. And as the previous poster says each to their own. I watch the House Hunters programmes and there are some awesome houses on there with beautiful ocean views etc. Absolutely stunning places on there. I just couldn't see myself in a high rise, my little dog goes outside a lot and it would drive me nuts letting her outside in that situation. It's bad enough in a ground level 3 bdrm. house, LOL.

You know, this is really weird. His alcohol level was tested 14 hours after he strolled away from his apartment that night. Zero reading.
Yet somehow someone determined that his alcohol level was very high that night ... even though he was not slurring, he was not staggering, there is no visible or audible evidence of that.
And then the judge instructs the jury that if he was so intoxicated, they must consider that in deciding if he had 'intent' to murder Warriena. :thinking:

(I know we've been talking about his alcohol level for a while, so thought I'd go get the 'facts')

2ahwt8i.jpg

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...k=d57c7916ae8bcd18bf109b0785239e5d-1477052884

"The court heard both had been drinking, with Tostee’s blood-alcohol concentration estimated to be up to .28 per cent ....
In his summing up yesterday, Justice John Byrne told jurors that intoxication, while not a defence, was a factor in determining intent.

“Evidence relating to the accused’s intoxication is relevant to the issue of intent,” he said. “If, because of the evidence concerning his (Tostee’s) consumption of alcohol or otherwise, you are not satisfied the accused did in fact form the necessary intent ... to cause the deceased some grievous bodily harm ... you must find him not guilty of murder.

“Intoxication ... may be regarded for the purpose of ascertaining whether such an intention in fact existed."

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...t/news-story/dd98b238bab64f4825b74b2bab540f1f

Whoever 'estimated' Tosser's alcohol reading for that night estimated it even higher than his high range drunk dangerous driving offense .... where police had to chase him down and throw out the road spikes to stop him!

Tostee, 28, pleaded guilty to speeding and being involved in a police pursuit which the court heard reached speeds of almost 200km/h and ended with sparks flying from Tostee’s tyre rims after officers deployed road spikes.
He registered a blood alcohol reading of .2 per cent, four times the legal limit.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...r/news-story/2ffa4b7f9ae870b18c4192dd7fca8919

9. BAC = .25-.30 = Drinkers display general inertia, near total loss of motor functions, little response to stimuli, inability to stand or walk, vomiting, and incontinence. Drinkers may lose consciousness or fall into a stupor.
10. BAC = .30-.50 = Symptoms are complete unconsciousness, depressed or absent reflexes, subnormal body temperature, incontinence, and impairment of circulation and respiration.
Death may occur at .37% or higher. BACs of .45% and higher are fatal to nearly all individuals....

No way was his level anywhere near .28. If that is what is claimed in court then it is a lie.0.028 maybe?

There is seriously something wrong with this picture.
He was a walking, talking, pizza eating superstud that night.

I have to agree. This sequence of events after the fact seemed as if they were 'staged', along with the possibility of there being the involvement of an accessory (or accessories). OK, legal eagles, is entering into evidence an incorrect reading for an accused's BAC grounds to test Queensland's 'double jeopardy' laws? The Coroner's findings should be interesting.

was the correct charge preferred? What if a charge of a culpable homicide was preferred, and the evidence adduced that GT had abandoned any care for the guest in his premises......http://www.sclqld.org.au/caselaw/criminal-codes-appellate-decisions/legislation/65

I would imagine that the charge of Murder/Manslaughter on GT was charged by police who determined they had charged him on the evidence they obtained. I'm not sure what Australia's equivalent is of a Grand Jury determining if the case was enough to proceed with going to Trial? But there was some type of preliminary hearing that determined that, so one would think there was more than enough evidence, but that doesn't seem to be the case because so very little of the evidence was allowed admissable by the judge when it came to what the jurors were allowed to deliberate on. It's very odd to me.

I have to agree. This sequence of events after the fact seemed as if they were 'staged', along with the possibility of there being the involvement of an accessory (or accessories). OK, legal eagles, is entering into evidence an incorrect reading for an accused's BAC grounds to test Queensland's 'double jeopardy' laws? The Coroner's findings should be interesting.
The trial needs to be investigated by CCC. Undoubtedly corruption prevented justice in this case.

I'm not sure if the Coroner would determine differently on the BAC of GT if there is nothing to compare what was submitted for Trial on GT's BAC? I guess it depends on how he/she would investigate the matter?

I know exactly how you feel. I would be always worried that the lift would break down, and I hate going up and down lots of steps.

I would love to see the views, but wouldn't like to live there. I like to have a proper garden right there on the same level :)

TootsieFootsie, Thanks for your perspective and i appreciate a lot of people love living in high rise apartments and houses. And as the previous poster says each to their own. I watch the House Hunters programmes and there are some awesome houses on there with beautiful ocean views etc. Absolutely stunning places on there. I just couldn't see myself in a high rise, my little dog goes outside a lot and it would drive me nuts letting her outside in that situation. It's bad enough in a ground level 3 bdrm. house, LOL.

I'm not sure if the Coroner would determine differently on the BAC of GT if there is nothing to compare what was submitted for Trial on GT's BAC? I guess it depends on how he/she would investigate the matter?

I think I got that *advertiser censored*** about. Tired. What I meant to say is if the accused's BAC was entered into evidence and relied upon in the Judge's direction to the jurors regarding the accused's intent, and his advice was contradictory and could determine the verdict; is this grounds for another trial under double jeopardy laws? I hope I'm making at least some sense. Long day and my brain is fried.

I know exactly how you feel. I would be always worried that the lift would break down, and I hate going up and down lots of steps.

I would love to see the views, but wouldn't like to live there. I like to have a proper garden right there on the same level :)

I agree with lifts etc., and love my garden & gardening too, :)

I think I got that *advertiser censored*** about. Tired. What I meant to say is if the accused's BAC was entered into evidence snd relied upon in the Judge's direction to the jurors regarding the accused's intent, was contradictory and could determine the outcome of the verdict; is this grounds for another trial under double jeopardy laws. I hope I'm making st lrast some sense. My brain is fried.

Good question Bohemian.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member