Australia - Warriena Wright, 26, dies in balcony fall, Surfers Paradise, Aug 2014 #3

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Renee, thanks for that interesting post - I wish I'd known your friend when I had horses.. People thought me overly fussy for cleaning my tack after every ride! The thing with OCD is that one*can't* just stop those behaviours, it isn't a choice you can change or do anything about.. and it can be quite debilitating. So I am very curious as *what* OCD behaviours Tostee has. And whether they are truly OCD or just self-serving habits that an OCD diagnosis excuses, if that makes sense. Like the recording..

^ And that is a VERY good question.

I believe Tostee is happy to to have ANY excuse for his bad behaviour, as it means he can avoid being held personally responsible for his choices.

eta: I also don't believe he blacks out quite as much as he says he does. More excuses. Very handy.. I'm betting he only 'blacks out' when things don't go his way, or there might be consequences. Note how in control he remained, with Warriena, despite the vodka being poured. The only time he 'loses it' is when she she seriously challenges his control of her "I'm going to call police" - "How are you going to do that without your phone?" and then when she really looks like leaving, he goes ballistic.

eta (again, sorry, ha) : and note how the only part of the account he states repeatedly that he can't remember or "doesn't know" what happened, is the moment she fell. He remembers either side of it though. I call shenanigans on the memory loss.

Re Whatson's post about the man charged in a similar crime... WHY has Tostee not been charged with 'deprivation of liberty'???? When clearly, Rrie was asking to leave, repeatedly, and it's clear he wasn't letting her go. One charge -- murder. Which even the judge is saying will hard to prove.. it's a bit worrying, really.

Bolded by Me.

My dd rode English (hunter and then jumpers) and at HER barn, which WAS an A circuit barn, you did clean your tack after every ride, and groomed the heck out of your horse….no saddle marks left behind! When Ashley was about 8, and she didnt clean her tack, when she came back for another lesson David would have hidden her tack and she had to have her lesson bareback. Those kids learned to take care of equipment and horses! So I wouldn't have considered you OCD for doing that.

The next thing I bolded: If Tostee hadn't been arrested for drunk driving, I would have called bullcrap on his boasting on the boards about drinking and drugs. I just don't get how someone who is a control freak would let themselves get out of control to the point of not remembering or being out of control. He isn't OCD…like you said you it is very debilitating and you can't stop it. My friend who checked and rechecked…. she has been institutionalized a few times because she just broke down mentally…nervous breakdowns. She is drop dead gorgeous, from a wealthy family and she made the decision when she was about 30 to have her tubes tied because she wasn't going to chance bringing a child into this world with it. How is she now? I can say that she is married to the richest man in Tennessee. Seriously. His wife had left, leaving him full custody of his 3 children, and they were all very young, the youngest still on a bottle. So she does have children! She is in the society pages all of the time, but I haven't spoken to her in years. I'm happy for her. She deserved it. Sorry for all the extra info that was off topic!

edited because I forgot what I was supposed to be writing about. So….I would think if you are truly OCD you couldn't pick and choose when to be and what to be OCD about. I'm not knocking mental illness and I know it's a very real and serious thing, but I sometimes think we try to hard to excuse why people do stuff when they are just cold, unfeeling, selfish and just don't WANT to do the right thing.

You're right Renee - if you're truly OCD you can't indeed pick and choose when and what to be OCD about.

Most OCD sufferers I have worked with have very specific rituals that are particular to them (these compulsive rituals are their coping mechanisms to deal with the obsessive thoughts).

So no, they can't turn it on and off, but one OCD sufferer may have to wash their hands 7 times in a row or open and shut the door 5 times every time they enter a room in order to feel alright. But another person may have a whole different set of compulsive rituals.

And absolutely, as with the autism diagnosis we don't know for certain that Tostee was diagnosed OCD.

And you're right - even if he has OCD, that has absolutely nothing to do with him being a creepy sex predator!! :facepalm: All it means to me is that anxiety underpins his psyche. It's no excuse for anything that he's done though!!

Indeed you cannot pick and choose when, why or how symptoms of any mental illness/disorder will present and escalate and what impact they will have on the individual and their significant others.
Having a son with a severe mental illness we have a baseline that mental illness is not an excuse for bad/unacceptable behaviour and seek appropriate intervention when his symptoms impact to the point that he is a risk to himself or others (not just physical).
Is GT's obsession with recording women in his apartment a result of his ASD, OCD, paranoia or simply to satisfy his own perverse needs?
His father did ask GT did he want to go to the hospital. To which he declined.
Given GT only had minor scratches, I do wonder why this question was asked in light of what information he had just been given.

I do find it odd that hospital and lawyers were suggested but not the police.
(Keeping in mind we have not yet heard all the transcript)

http://mobile.news.com.au/national/...leged-recordings/story-e6frfkp9-1227053364751

Very good questions that had not occurred to me. Do you think he had more injuries than we know of, or that his father knew of some condition he may need medication for? If that had been my child I would have been so upset and not nonchalant (I haven't heard the recording but just from reading it that is my impression), and I don't think I would have even asked what she wanted, I would have just automatically gone to the police station. Or hospital if I thought she was injured.

Very good questions that had not occurred to me. Do you think he had more injuries than we know of, or that his father knew of some condition he may need medication for? If that had been my child I would have been so upset and not nonchalant (I haven't heard the recording but just from reading it that is my impression), and I don't think I would have even asked what she wanted, I would have just automatically gone to the police station. Or hospital if I thought she was injured.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/que...en-caused-by-fingernails-20140908-10e13a.html
A six page medical report tendered on Monday detailed a series of scratches, abrasions,red marks and scabs found on Mr Tostee on 8 August.

No I would not have asked I would have called the police the first opportunity I got and if he was presenting as mentally ill or disordered person he would have been transported to an appropriate service (I would think).
If he presented to the police he still would have had the right to remain silent and wait for his lawyer to arrive I presume.

Tostee himself said he was at Dominos when he called his dad.. so I'm assuming it was an error. Timeline says he *tried* to call his lawyer at the flat but couldn't get through.

Scratches on Gable Tostee's face seen hours after the death of a New Zealand tourist may have been caused by her fingernails during a scuffle, police allege ...
These included injuries
  • on his cheeks,
  • near his mouth,
  • back of his head,
  • neck,
  • back,
  • right arm and hand, and
  • right leg.
There were also a number of small patterned abrasions "likely" to have been caused by an object, Dr Nelle van Buuren said. ... Dr van Buuren said some injuries were unrelated to the apartment incident, and it was even possible some scratches were self-inflicted.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/scratches-on-gable-tostee-may-have-been-caused-by-fingernails-20140908-10e13a.html#ixzz3Ddj6JQ85

(bullets and bolding by me)

Hi Isis :) Question for you to ponder, would love your thoughts....

It would appear the digital age hasn't done much of a favour for GT in terms of feeding his need to record things. Based on your own observations & theories, how would/did the GT's of a few decades ago function without digital cameras, online forums, Facebook & 'instant dating' apps? Just curious how the same character type may have presented in, say, the 80/90's ? (hope that makes sense).

Hi Isis :) Question for you to ponder, would love your thoughts....

It would appear the digital age hasn't done much of a favour for GT in terms of feeding his need to record things. Based on your own observations & theories, how would/did the GT's of a few decades ago function without digital cameras, online forums, Facebook & 'instant dating' apps? Just curious how the same character type may have presented in, say, the 80/90's ? (hope that makes sense).

Well, from my readings it seems that people who needed to record things used to use cassette tapes and then video recorders came along.

And in the old days, fetishists would disseminate this info via post after finding each other through magazine or newspaper ads....rather than posting it immediately online.

We've created immediate gratification for the creeps, basically.

If I found out I was being recorded, I'd go ballistic, I'd turn into the incredible Hulk. :bigfight: :p

Prime.....after being recorded!! :floorlaugh:

Lou-Ferrigno_280_835594a.jpg

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepag...ooked-better-says-Hulk-star-Lou-Ferrigno.html

(your post made me lol!!)

:waiting:

Outside court, Tostee's lawyer Michael Purcell said there would be another application for bail in coming weeks. - See more at: http://www.skynews.com.au/news/top-...on-balcony-for-fall.html#sthash.njU9JBCb.dpuf

However, Mr Tostee will have another chance to apply for bail when his defence lawyers return to court with more information requested by Justice Mullins.

Justice Mullins requested more details about Mr Tostee's autism, a condition he was diagnosed with some years ago

Read more: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/que...-adjourned-20140908-10dqg1.html#ixzz3Df6PY900

I wonder why Tostee's lawyer did not ask for suppression of the transcript documents that were presented at the bail hearing? The video says that he could have requested that.

It really is odd that they've allowed so much to be released in the media. Because as much as I personally LOATHE Tostee, it really will be impossible for him to have an unbiased trial now I would think.

Although.....I'm wondering if his lawyers thought it would work in his favour with public sympathy and future jurors as they've tried to depict Warriena as violent towards him - like he's the victim in the whole thing.

We've dissected the transcripts, but the average person wouldn't have. - they'll just run with the general gist of the thing.....which is that she was drunk and violent. The average reader wouldn't have even got to the fact that he was plying her with alcohol and manipulating everything.....that took some examination :thinking:

That tactic better not work!!

True, the average person would not have seen all his BB forum posts, and if the defence can angle for a favourable demographic in the jury ....

Or he may be angling for a judge-only trial, and hope that Tostee will get a more favourable verdict on point of law rather than a jury's emotional verdict.

Hmmm ... interesting. :thinking:

Will have to see how this develops, and what he does in the next bail application. It sounds like that will be in just a few weeks. :waiting:

The judge granted the release of the documents, GT's lawyer didn't oppose it...oh well.

But really, when you look back at the trials of Baden Clay and even Max Sica, mountains of info was released prior to trial in both those cases. All of the documents/affidavits etc in Baden Clay case were all from his bail hearing. There really was very little else brought up at trial which we hadn't heard before via media.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abk018