Australia - Warriena Wright, 26, dies in balcony fall, Surfers Paradise, Aug 2014 #4

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been humming and hawing about posting this, but I just felt maybe I should give a personal account of SAD, if anyone is interested. I have 2 family members with SAD, it does appear to run in families, my brother and daughter have it. One has minor OCD and depression which is quite commonly linked together.

This site http://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/

has all the information you could ever find on this disorder and the forum has a lot of traffic, and surprisingly, besides Americans, Australians are the highest users/posters on this site. Males outnumber females about 3:1.
I joined SAS over 5 yrs ago so I could understand this disorder. I would not be surprised if GT is/was a member. This site's regular members encourages the use of meds especially by young men, and they will go into great detail about seeing a psych and how to get the meds you want. There is a sub-forum specifically for medications. The site is sponsored primarily by drug companies.

It's a misconception that social anxiety is similar to introversion. Introverts like to socialize but retreat for alone time and enjoy it. Young people with SAD desperately want to be social, but just can't. Some can't answer a phone, are easily embarrassed whenever interacting with anyone, over think every situation they've been in and classically will avoid those situations again. Some suffer from panic attacks and become hermits, usually they still attend school or work but generally, remain holed up in their room the rest of the time.

The young males on this site are particularly bitter towards girls/young women for overlooking them and they become pretty enraged at times. Luckily, it is heavily moderated because an all out gender war is a frequent event. These same guys usually rant on about Alpha males and how they're the successful ones in life, especially regarding women and careers. It can be a very depressing site and many young men are literally at the end of their tether. These men think women with SAD have it easier purely because they're women and they don't need to do anything to get a guy. Yep, you really have to put on your 'high tolerance hat' for this one. :p

With regards to GT, when he was diagnosed with SAD, OCD and depression back in 2009, I think it very likely it was to receive meds. Psychiatrists don't treat the disorder usually other than just prescribing medication, it's the psychologists who use cognitive behaviour therapy (CBT) to help the patient live a more 'normal' tolerable existence that a SAD sufferer should see. Just getting meds is a band-aid solution and psychologists do not recommend their long term use. Using meds and frequent alcohol binges is extremely bad news.

My brother is highly intelligent (unlike me :p) and successful in his careers, studied at Uni became an electronic engineer, went back to university in his mid 30's and became a psych nurse and is now, a drug and alcohol counselor, but he didn't marry until he was 40 yrs old and has no children. In his youth, he was a relatively attractive man but he was like a fish out of water in social situations. Aging does help, and the stress and emotional turmoil they go through alleviates substantially after 40 yrs or more.

GT imo, appears to have anti-social characteristics which I wouldn't generally associate with SAD. GT seems to have problems with authority figures, likes taking huge risks which again, doesn't coincide with the SAD that I know about. Classic SAD sufferers feel extreme guilt over minor faux pas and hate negative attention at all costs. They can't handle criticism, even if it's given with good intentions. Imo, they feel too much and judge themselves way too harshly. Even if they abuse alcohol, those core characteristics are still there.

Occasionally, a young man with anti-social behaviour joins the SAD site, but they stand out like a sore thumb within a short time. They are usually highly opinionated and have a hate of people in general, when most on the site don't feel like that, they just want to fit in. But those with anti-social characteristics feel comfortable with socially awkward people who are lonely and depressed. They enjoy the banter and negative feelings about life. Yep, pretty depressing. :( So they usually gather a following on the site because they're full of gusto and talk about the BBF a lot. They love talking about various meds, how much they take and the potency, how to pick up girls etc.

My 2 cents, I have no idea what GT has or doesn't have, I'm just going by his many brushes with the law published by the media and his aggression towards police officers, his posting history of hatred towards attractive young women on BBF and the desire to humiliate them, his lack of empathy or remorse from the transcript of his alleged recording after Rrie's death, and that he returned to Tinder one week after.
All this is so out of character for a SAD sufferer.

JMHO

Have a Happy New Year Websleuthers! :newyear:

:fireworks::fireworks2::fireworks::fireworks2:

:toast: :toastred:

Yes, a safe and Happy New Year all! Best wishes for 2015! :fireworks:

Thanks Prime Suspect
Yes, psychiatrists prescribe medicine and psychologists provide therapy.
There's really no medication for autism. It's mostly behavior therapy and individualized teaching. Once autistic kids are adults, there's really no further treatment except for other problems that may have developed along the way.
I'm not stuck on any one diagnosis. I'm just saying it's possible GT was thought to be autistic at some point.

SAD stands for something entirely different here, seasonal affective disorder. It's from lack of sunlight in the winter. Do you even have such a thing in Australia?
http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/seasonal-affective-disorder/basics/definition/con-20021047

Social anxiety disorder is also known as social phobia, and it's one of the most common mental illnesses in the US.

I've been humming and hawing about posting this, but I just felt maybe I should give a personal account of SAD, if anyone is interested. I have 2 family members with SAD, it does appear to run in families, my brother and daughter have it. One has minor OCD and depression which is quite commonly linked together.

This site http://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/

has all the information you could ever find on this disorder and the forum has a lot of traffic, and surprisingly, besides Americans, Australians are the highest users/posters on this site. Males outnumber females about 3:1.
I joined SAS over 5 yrs ago so I could understand this disorder. I would not be surprised if GT is/was a member. This site's regular members encourages the use of meds especially by young men, and they will go into great detail about seeing a psych and how to get the meds you want. There is a sub-forum specifically for medications. The site is sponsored primarily by drug companies.

It's a misconception that social anxiety is similar to introversion. Introverts like to socialize but retreat for alone time and enjoy it. Young people with SAD desperately want to be social, but just can't. Some can't answer a phone, are easily embarrassed whenever interacting with anyone, over think every situation they've been in and classically will avoid those situations again. Some suffer from panic attacks and become hermits, usually they still attend school or work but generally, remain holed up in their room the rest of the time.

The young males on this site are particularly bitter towards girls/young women for overlooking them and they become pretty enraged at times. Luckily, it is heavily moderated because an all out gender war is a frequent event. These same guys usually rant on about Alpha males and how they're the successful ones in life, especially regarding women and careers. It can be a very depressing site and many young men are literally at the end of their tether. These men think women with SAD have it easier purely because they're women and they don't need to do anything to get a guy. Yep, you really have to put on your 'high tolerance hat' for this one. :p

With regards to GT, when he was diagnosed with SAD, OCD and depression back in 2009, I think it very likely it was to receive meds. Psychiatrists don't treat the disorder usually other than just prescribing medication, it's the psychologists who use cognitive behaviour therapy (CBT) to help the patient live a more 'normal' tolerable existence that a SAD sufferer should see. Just getting meds is a band-aid solution and psychologists do not recommend their long term use. Using meds and frequent alcohol binges is extremely bad news.

My brother is highly intelligent (unlike me :p) and successful in his careers, studied at Uni became an electronic engineer, went back to university in his mid 30's and became a psych nurse and is now, a drug and alcohol counselor, but he didn't marry until he was 40 yrs old and has no children. In his youth, he was a relatively attractive man but he was like a fish out of water in social situations. Aging does help, and the stress and emotional turmoil they go through alleviates substantially after 40 yrs or more.

GT imo, appears to have anti-social characteristics which I wouldn't generally associate with SAD. GT seems to have problems with authority figures, likes taking huge risks which again, doesn't coincide with the SAD that I know about. Classic SAD sufferers feel extreme guilt over minor faux pas and hate negative attention at all costs. They can't handle criticism, even if it's given with good intentions. Imo, they feel too much and judge themselves way too harshly. Even if they abuse alcohol, those core characteristics are still there.

Occasionally, a young man with anti-social behaviour joins the SAD site, but they stand out like a sore thumb within a short time. They are usually highly opinionated and have a hate of people in general, when most on the site don't feel like that, they just want to fit in. But those with anti-social characteristics feel comfortable with socially awkward people who are lonely and depressed. They enjoy the banter and negative feelings about life. Yep, pretty depressing. :( So they usually gather a following on the site because they're full of gusto and talk about the BBF a lot. They love talking about various meds, how much they take and the potency, how to pick up girls etc.

My 2 cents, I have no idea what GT has or doesn't have, I'm just going by his many brushes with the law published by the media and his aggression towards police officers, his posting history of hatred towards attractive young women on BBF and the desire to humiliate them, his lack of empathy or remorse from the transcript of his alleged recording after Rrie's death, and that he returned to Tinder one week after.
All this is so out of character for a SAD sufferer.

JMHO

That is certainly interesting reading. My mother has been in and out of psych hospitals all of her life. She is currently in Melbourne Clinic for shock treatment. Mum is nearly 91 and decided to go off all of her meds. This has happened all through her life, mental illness is rife throughout her family in mine. I was talking to one of psych nurses Xmas day and she was telling about some of he illnesses that they treat - quite amazing. Sorry a little off topic.

On that note a safe and wonderful NEW YEAR to all.

Thank you PrimeSuspect for your insight. Very interesting.

Happy New Year to all fellow Websleuths!

:newyear: :alien3: :fireworks:

16hsy3d.png

“Tomorrow, is the first blank page of a 365 page book. Write a good one.”
...........Brad Paisley

Happy New Year everyone!! May justice for Warriena be found soon!!

I hope everyone had a lovely New Year's Eve and and have a great 1st day of 2015 today. :heart:

Has anyone come across any rational explanation yet for why Rrie's feet were facing outwards when she was dangling from the balcony? I have searched other SM/forums high and low to see if anyone can explain that in any way that makes sense (other than our suspicions). No luck.

I do notice that one avid Tostee supporter out there says (paraphrasing) "Forget the feet for a moment, what about .....". No explanation from them either.

I guess the defence could try the old ballerina-leap - or the old Muay Lao-leap - but that didn't work too well for Gittany's defence, and they soon dropped that ridiculous explanation for Lisa's drop to her death.

Not to derail the last post, but happy new year from the U.S. im not quite there yet, but I think it's cool that you in aus have already celebrated. Your firework pics over the bridge look awesome. I hope to visit someday.
I hope 2015 is a good year for Warriena's family. Sorry for typos, me and iPad are not friendly.

Has anyone come across any rational explanation yet for why Rrie's feet were facing outwards when she was dangling from the balcony? I have searched other SM/forums high and low to see if anyone can explain that in any way that makes sense (other than our suspicions). No luck.

I do notice that one avid Tostee supporter out there says (paraphrasing) "Forget the feet for a moment, what about .....". No explanation from them either.

I guess the defence could try the old ballerina-leap - or the old Muay Lao-leap - but that didn't work too well for Gittany's defence, and they soon dropped that ridiculous explanation for Lisa's drop to her death.

The only thing I can think of is if he pushed her out there so hard that she went over the railing grabbing the edge as she went. If she went head first in a tumble type thing she would be facing outwards, and unable to hang on for long, but probably long enough for him to get inside. - It's a bit of a stretch but it could happen.

In another hour it will be 2015 on all of the US mainland. I won't wait up for Hawaii. Happy New Year everyone!
:confetti::partyguy2:​

Back to Warriena

<modsnip>

Anyway, I don't think he choked her, if anything she was being smothered. The autopsy will show if she was choked.

The only thing I can think of is if he pushed her out there so hard that she went over the railing grabbing the edge as she went. If she went head first in a tumble type thing she would be facing outwards, and unable to hang on for long, but probably long enough for him to get inside. - It's a bit of a stretch but it could happen.

I watched a snippet of CNN NYE highlights. This man was trying to evacuate his high rise apartment due to fire. He was hanging on with one hand from the railing twisting and turning endeavouring to lower himself into the apartment below. Gripping with one hand only his feet pointed inwards after a slight swing his heels turned towards the building for a second and then back again. Fortunately he did survive. Not sure how Rrie would be able to execute this given her intoxication level. I'm thinking it would be near impossible for her adopt this position.

As I've previously mentioned in the thread, because of our sub-judice laws, we're limited to what we can discuss re the online posted recording after Justice Mullins said the following....

Judge Mullins ordered affidavits that include doctor’s report and an audio recording be placed in an envelope and not opened except by order of a court or judge

http://m.goldcoastbulletin.com.au/n...trict-conditions/story-fnj94j0t-1227127491700

We won't be allowed to discuss this but just as a matter of interest and something to ponder upon, I now question the validity of the online posted recording. Could that be an edited version considering it was purportedly posted by Tostee himself....and the original is locked up nice and tight by Justice Mullins.

I might also add, because of Tostee's bail conditions, I've no doubts police will be monitoring his every online move.

Also on that above link and I've bolded the last paragraph....

Mr Power said submissions that Tostee&#8217;s offending was caused by alcohol were not borne out by the evidence and that Gray Tostee&#8217;s actions on the night, in helping his son avoid immediate police attention, were &#8220;significant&#8221;.

He added that Tostee was likely to be jailed if found guilty of charges over a New South Wales police chase two weeks before Ms Wright died, during which he was shot with capsicum spray which failed to subdue him.

http://m.goldcoastbulletin.com.au/n...trict-conditions/story-fnj94j0t-1227127491700

This article is very similar. If these charges are the same for TOSTEE then it will keep him in gaol until the trial.

A man who lead police on a car chase from Kincumber to Copacabana before jumping from the moving vehicle to avoid arrest could face up to three year's jail under Sky's Law.

Police allege a man, 22, ran from police and was tackled to the ground a short time later. The male continued to resist arrest and was finally subdued with capsicum spray.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...816325250?nk=fff1725572e247bf072a0870c9d0fcd3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MairinAmaliah