Australia - Warriena Wright, 26, dies in balcony fall, Surfers Paradise, Aug 2014 #4

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
HE WAS described by his lawyer as “partially autistic”

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...oast-for-wedding/story-fnihsrf2-1227019228229

And how does social anxiety, presumably self-medicated with alcohol use disorder, *explain* the observations of multiple bar owners and staff, who say he had a habit of drinking water all night so he could pick up the drunk chicks? Or the women who've come forward to the media, saying how charming and talkative he is? Not one has mentioned he was also drunk.

It doesn't say which lawyer. As the article was written on Aug.10, it's possible they are referring to the 2004 case.
HE WAS described by his lawyer as “partially autistic”, suffering from a *severe obsessive-compulsive disorder and having such a talent for making counterfeit money that he stunned federal investigators.
http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/tinder-tragedy-balcony-plunge-victim-warriena-rrie-tagpuno-wright-on-gold-coast-for-wedding/story-fnihsrf2-1227019228229
Seriously, why would his lawyer in a murder case refer to his client as "having such a talent for making counterfeit money that he stunned federal investigators"?

I'd call that incompetent counsel.

IMO... It is interesting that we have heard/read relatively little positive instances from witnesses of Tostee's behavior... Even from family...

Yet... We have heard wonderful accounts of Rrie.... Compassionate to, and care taker of, animals... Wonderful, loving sister.... Etc...

That is same as it was in the recent Michael Brown case in Missouri. There were many, many people talking to the media about his innocence and the guilt of the defendant. Hardly anything was in the media from the defense witnesses. The defense kept their evidence and witnesses completely under wraps until the hearing.

This is common practice. Most lawyers advise their witnesses to not speak outside the court.

Isn't it "Innocent until proven guilty"? The media and forums like this are not the jurors. We don't have all the facts yet to proclaim guilt or innocence. We are expressing opinions only.

Isn't it "Innocent until proven guilty"? The media and forums like this are not the jurors. We don't have all the facts yet to proclaim guilt or innocence. We are expressing opinions only.

I don't know why you would feel the need to remind us of this.

We are quite entitled to hold and express opinions, including that regarding possible guilt or innocence of those on trial.

BBM...

though I am interested in all the behaviors of the sociopathic personality reported above...

the one that stand out most to me ATM is the one bolded by me...

I would think that Tostee's desire, continual pursuit, and ability to "connect" with many females ... Yet having the inability to maintain those relationships...(as indicated in his own comments in his SM) ...would discount a "social anxiety" diagnosis.... And fall much more in the category of the sociopathic personality...

JMO...

It's quite possible for both of these things to co-exist:

As compared with 15 normal controls, " 'primary' sociopaths showed significantly less 'anxiety' on a questionnaire device, less GSR reactivity to a 'conditioned' stimulus associated with shock, and less avoidance of punished responses on a test of avoidance learning. The 'neurotic' sociopaths scored significantly higher on the Taylor Anxiety Scale and on the Welsh Anxiety Index

http://psycnet.apa.org/journals/abn/55/1/6/

Full article on this research: http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...f+&cd=13&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=au&client=firefox-a

Social anxiety disorder (SAD) and antisocial personality disorder (ASPD) are not often thought of as being comorbid. However, recent research suggests the existence of a SAD subtype with characteristics atypical of SAD but common to ASPD. Thus, we explored two competing hypotheses: (1) SAD and ASPD represent opposite ends of a single dimension, or (2) SAD and ASPD exist on two separate dimensions that may be positively correlated. Data were obtained from the National Epidemiological Survey on Alcohol and Related Conditions. SAD-ASPD was related to greater impairment and psychiatric comorbidity than either disorder alone. The SAD-ASPD group was also more likely to seek treatment for their SAD symptoms and to drink before/during antisocial acts than the SAD only group. The presence of SAD for individuals with ASPD (and vice versa) does not appear to provide any "protective benefits." SAD and ASPD appear to be two separate but correlated disorders.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24384071

And an interesting article on the 'hidden suffering of sociopaths':

http://www.psychiatrictimes.com/psychotic-affective-disorders/hidden-suffering-psychopath

That is same as it was in the recent Michael Brown case in Missouri. There were many, many people talking to the media about his innocence and the guilt of the defendant. Hardly anything was in the media from the defense witnesses. The defense kept their evidence and witnesses completely under wraps until the hearing.

This is common practice. Most lawyers advise their witnesses to not speak outside the court.

The Michael Brown case is different from this case in that there was a strong underlying societal unrest regarding race and police...

I think these factors made a strong impact on how that case was handled, as opposed to this case...

additionally... In other cases that I am currently following on WS.... The alleged perp has some neighbors speaking well of the perp... And these comments are reported in MSM...

Just have to say -- the media gets right up my nose, too, for conflating facts and getting things wrong, publishing stuff for the sake of headlines rather than reportage of fact, etc. And even moreso because we here are so reliant on msm for our discussions.

What's good about this case, however, is that Tostee has put his own large foot in his own large mouth more than once, which only goes to support things said in msm - of course, with that special guilt-free Tostee spin, but it's not hard to read between the lines there.

For example, this thread made by Tostee, in regard to the club bannings. I think the title says it all, really:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=155165983&page=1

In this, he at first claims to never try to enter clubs he's banned from. A few posts later, he admits to doing so. The bans are, according to him, not at all of his own making; he claims victimhood.

Compare to the media reports regarding the reasons for him being banned. Also, his habit of attempting to circumvent bans.

Kind of meandering toward off-topic, but here's an interesting fact, regarding brain differences in sociopathy (or here, its presage, conduct disorder) and autism:

Indeed, the authors write: “Notably, the [brain] regions associated with autistic and antisocial traits were largely anatomically distinct,” calling them “strikingly different.”

Children with high autistic traits showed thinning (less brain tissue) mainly in the superior temporal and temperoparietal cortex, a region previously found to be smaller in autistic people. The area is associated with the processing of socially relevant information, particularly the ability to understand the minds of others and take different perspectives.

In the children with high levels of antisocial traits, however, thinning was seen in the anterior prefrontal cortex, a region previously shown to be diminished in adult psychopaths. The area is associated with moral reasoning, which is obviously impaired in those who enjoy manipulating and harming others.

http://healthland.time.com/2012/04/...tism-and-antisocial-personality-in-the-brain/

eta: I got so caught up in research that I near forgot WHY I was looking in the first place. hehehe. Relevance of the above fact being, I now wonder whether the earlier and incorrect diagnosis of "partial autism" was made in attempt to explain antisocial behaviours (like illegal activities) that may actually be caused by something else (like sociopathy). What can be observed in Tostee is a remarkable capacity for minimising his culpability in criminal and antisocial behaviours... so I wonder how he presented to this person doing the diagnosing (if indeed he *was* diagnosed properly by a qualified professional, this has yet to be verified properly.. going on court's admission of it as indication said report exists...).

Bail documents are accessible to anyone unless a suppression order is filed along with it. The police never filed one and the media chose to publish it. They also released his record after the matter was under sub judice (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...m-Warriena-Wright-court-documents-reveal.html).

So media and police NEVER fabricate things?

Just have to say -- the media gets right up my nose, too, for conflating facts and getting things wrong, publishing stuff for the sake of headlines rather than reportage of fact, etc. And even moreso because we here are so reliant on msm for our discussions.

What's good about this case, however, is that Tostee has put his own large foot in his own large mouth more than once, which only goes to support things said in msm - of course, with that special guilt-free Tostee spin, but it's not hard to read between the lines there.

For example, this thread made by Tostee, in regard to the club bannings. I think the title says it all, really:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=155165983&page=1

In this, he at first claims to never try to enter clubs he's banned from. A few posts later, he admits to doing so. The bans are, according to him, not at all of his own making; he claims victimhood.

Compare to the media reports regarding the reasons for him being banned. Also, his habit of attempting to circumvent bans.

Just a small comment (my opinion only) to make on Gable Tostee's lamenting outcry bemoaning his allegations that the Media have gotten it wrong, fabricated lies to ruin him and destroy his reputation. He could always retaliate more constructively like perhaps make a complaint against those Media organisations responsible through the Australian Press Council or go down the legal path and sue for defamation. Instead of venting his frustration in forums such as BBF because that in my opinion, just feeds the raging fire of negative public opinion that seems to have engulfed his existence.

(That's pretending the public can ignore and unread the other thousands of (for lack of a better word) unsavoury posts he had made on BBF (for entertainment purposes, he claims) prior to August 2014)

http://www.presscouncil.org.au/making-a-complaint/

As with the whole publishing his criminal record/history while the matter was subjudice, surely his defence lawyers, if remotely savvy, would be seizing the opportunity to use such prejudicial commentary as grounds for contempt?

Why has nobody addressed this?

"A document filed in the bail application in the says an examination of Tostee's mobile phone 'has identified that he has been in contact with over 250 female persons using the Tinder application since March 2014'."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...na-Wright-fell-balcony-threaten-released.html

The first article was written before he was charged and the second while he was in custody...

Pretty convenient that they don't mention their sources. Like the media would ever make anything up, right?

Why is it that Tostee, with all the women he has met/dated, has never had any complaints or charges against him from females?

Mr Russel, that there are no complaints from females remain to be seen. Until the Police have acquired the list of names of girls he had associated with/contacted and interviewed and collate statements/affidavits, we do not know anything for sure. The Public is not privy yet to any of that information. We must remain patient, that list is pretty long according to news reports. Everything will be flushed out in court. Interesting months ahead.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11366499
It was yesterday revealed that authorities have called on US administrators of Tinder to help them find more than 50 women who had contact with Tostee.

Bail documents show police had requested data from both Tostee and Wright's Tinder accounts.
An email from the Gold Coast police to Tostee's legal team said their client's contact with "persons over the dating site" was "substantial".

Bail documents are accessible to anyone unless a suppression order is filed along with it. The police never filed one and the media chose to publish it. They also released his record after the matter was under sub judice (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...m-Warriena-Wright-court-documents-reveal.html).

I just want to point out to all the lovely posters still posting on this thread that this statement ^^ excludes the fact that the defence can also request suppression. I have posted the links that verify this further back in the threads.

Plus, it would make some sense that any number of those girls Tostee had shamelessly posted about on BBF might not be harbouring quite so pleasant sentiments towards him at present. Any one of them could come forward with an arsenal of complaints.

Just saying, and purely my opinion only.

I power read this thread a couple months ago. I was disappointed when I came to the end of my reading, as input and commentary had slowed considerably. I read so many cases here and always wonder what the Vic's last moments were like. I got chills reading the events of that night. Missed the small window to actually hear the recording. Transcripts were enough for me. I can only believe in one scenario, and it's called murder. I'm from US, but wouldn't change my opinion. Sorry if anyone's offended. Jmo.

Plus, it would make some sense that any number of those girls Tostee had shamelessly posted about on BBF might not be harbouring quite so pleasant sentiments towards him at present. Any one of them could come forward with an arsenal of complaints.

Just saying, and purely my opinion only.

Oh, I agree Slinki. I feel pretty certain that most, if not all, of those girls were not even aware that he was maligning them on a public forum for 'entertainment'. Some of them are probably more than happy to assist police with their inquiries, some may make separate complaints now, and some may show up in court to give relevant testimony about their experience of Tostee.

I power read this thread a couple months ago. I was disappointed when I came to the end of my reading, as input and commentary had slowed considerably. I read so many cases here and always wonder what the Vic's last moments were like. I got chills reading the events of that night. Missed the small window to actually hear the recording. Transcripts were enough for me. I can only believe in one scenario, and it's called murder. I'm from US, but wouldn't change my opinion. Sorry if anyone's offended. Jmo.

No offence taken here ... I think many of us believe the same thing. Unfortunately, there is a lot we cannot talk about right now due to sub judice. But commentary will pick right up again as soon as we are legally allowed to speak of things, <modsnip>

Gottcha, SouthAussie, I'll be reading and waiting. Our laws are diff in the US considering the rights of the accused. I can't disagree with other countries policies, it's just a different approach. As I said, I'll be reading. Justice for Warriena will come.

Who said he spends entire nights in bars drinking water? Again this is heresay.

<modsnip> I just wanted to say that if this is the case, everything that Tostee has posted on BBF or anywhere else is also Heresay until he is under oath in court. I strongly feel he will be advised not to testify but won't be able to help himself. He will be his own worst enemy on the stand and we have seen many others do the same.

In his affidavit Gray Tostee says it was a shock when he and his wife Helene discovered their son had "consumed alcohol in excess" since the age of 17 years.
" Gable and I are very close and I love him very much .... unfortunately since the age of 23 1/2 years onwards Gables social activities were largely addressed by him in a destructive fashion with alcohol.
"Gable seems to get into difficult situations with alcohol and sometimes legal issues arose.

23 and half years that is very precise. (imo)
That would be 2009.
Can't help wonder what may have occurred to be so precise, given they were unaware of his excessive consumption prior.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...inge-drinking-Schoolies-17.html#ixzz3MFVMilyB

In his affidavit Gray Tostee says it was a shock when he and his wife Helene discovered their son had "consumed alcohol in excess" since the age of 17 years.
" Gable and I are very close and I love him very much .... unfortunately since the age of 23 1/2 years onwards Gables social activities were largely addressed by him in a destructive fashion with alcohol.
"Gable seems to get into difficult situations with alcohol and sometimes legal issues arose.

23 and half years that is very precise. (imo)
That would be 2009.
Can't help wonder what may have occurred to be so precise, given they were unaware of his excessive consumption prior.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...inge-drinking-Schoolies-17.html#ixzz3MFVMilyB

How could he be in shock to discover this if he knows the exact age, he didn't notice?? - I think he has just been told and is repeating what GT told him.

How could he be in shock to discover this if he knows the exact age, he didn't notice?? - I think he has just been told and is repeating what GT told him.

Or it coincides with the said psychiatric treatment !!

It is a rather tight fit. Yep sounds like a discussion was had (imo).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MairinAmaliah