Australia - Warriena Wright, 26, dies in balcony fall, Surfers Paradise, Aug 2014 #9

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread is open again but I'm still cleaning up in here.

We really dislike ever having to close a thread while on Verdict watch and we do so very reluctantly. Can you imagine being the person responsible for that? Don't be a jerk and spoil it for the rest of the group.

Post respectfully and stop the bickering and personalizing and we'll do just fine.

:tyou:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    37 KB · Views: 114
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    37.2 KB · Views: 55
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    25.1 KB · Views: 116
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    27.1 KB · Views: 114
Thread is open again but I'm still cleaning up in here.

We really dislike ever having to close a thread while on Verdict watch and we do so very reluctantly. Can you imagine being the person responsible for that? Don't be a jerk and spoil it for the rest of the group.

Post respectfully and stop the bickering and personalizing and we'll do just fine.

:tyou:

Thank you, sillybilly :loveyou:

I see this tweet and others like it have been redacted on twitter... Perhaps the judge has asked journos not to publish that...

Ooh ... I wonder if they did not wait their 15 mins after the judge heard the question before they tweeted? They may re-tweet the same stuff soon.

Everyone is a bit antsy, I think.

If the Jury need to ask if 'language' is force, then they have obviously discarded anything else Tostee did. Weird.

The jury seem to be over complicating what really is a simple factual scenario and they have been given full and adequate directions on the Law. The relevant 'force' here is the method used by Tostee in placing her on the balcony. That was a physical act, and language played no part in it at all. Very likely, because of the brevity of the 'tweet,' I have misunderstood their question. it is getting quite odd, however.

Question! Does the judge get to "phone a friend" in these situations or just go through law definitions and previous case's??:thinking:

If the Jury need to ask if 'language' is force, then they have obviously discarded anything else Tostee did. Weird.

“You *advertiser censored* psycho. I’m going to let you go, I’m going to walk you out of this apartment, just the way you are,” he says.
“You’re not going to collect any belongings. I’ll slam the door on you. You’re not going to pull anything or I’ll knock you out. I’ll knock you the *advertiser censored** out. Do you understand? Do you understand?”

http://www.news.com.au/national/que...m/news-story/9d371f8eb19ac2e00fee6fa474f631fd
Maybe, one or a few of the jury think Tostee was using threatening language. I wonder what the Judge will say?:thinking:
It's interesting to look over Tostee's words again. He's using very threatening language and he says he'll walk her out the door just as she is, but then decides not to. This is crucial, he changed his mind and it had nothing to do with Warriena's actions, but her words. She would call the police. JMO

Finally up to date with the forum!

While the forum was down I obviously read a few things and one of them was talking about 'threatening to jump' to prove a point? Yeah, No.

A few years back I did the Canyon Swing in Queenstown and I was about 104m up. You've got a harness, strapped in and it's safe. I knew I was safe and still I couldn't take the step over the edge. It was so scary, I had to be pushed. I think to actually take the chance to try and get down to a lower level means you are fearing your life.

I hate to listen to the audio. I hate to think of her final minutes. RIP Warriena, I hope justice doesn't let you down x

Interesting question from the jury, and I'm hanging to see what the judge responds with. Can verbal threats and intimidation legally be a factor?

I guess there are some laws where threats or verbal communication can be treated as such - i.e. terrorism:
What is a terrorist act?
A ‘terrorist act’ is an act, or a threat to commit
an act, that is done with the intention to coerce
or influence the public or any government by
intimidation to advance a political, religious or
ideological cause, and the act causes:
 death, serious harm or endangers a person
 serious damage to property
 a serious risk to the health or safety of the
public, or
 seriously interferes with, disrupts or
destroys critical infrastructure such as a
telecommunications or electricity network.

The jury seem to be over complicating what really is a simple factual scenario and they have been given full and adequate directions on the Law. The relevant 'force' here is the method used by Tostee in placing her on the balcony. That was a physical act, and language played no part in it at all. Very likely, because of the brevity of the 'tweet,' I have misunderstood their question. it is getting quite odd, however.

I am glad they asked that question. There was a lot of threatening language going on ... scary threats for a petite female imo.

Eg: shut your filthy mouth .... I would but you have been a bad girl .... I'll knock you the ****** out

“You *advertiser censored* psycho. I’m going to let you go, I’m going to walk you out of this apartment, just the way you are,” he says.
“You’re not going to collect any belongings. I’ll slam the door on you. You’re not going to pull anything or I’ll knock you out. I’ll knock you the *advertiser censored** out. Do you understand? Do you understand?”

http://www.news.com.au/national/que...m/news-story/9d371f8eb19ac2e00fee6fa474f631fd
Maybe, one or a few of the jury think Tostee was using threatening language. I wonder what the Judge will say?:thinking:
It's interesting to look over Tostee's words again. He's using very threatening language and he says he'll walk her out the door just as she is, but then decides not to. This is crucial, he changed his mind and it had nothing to do with Warriena's actions, but her words. She would call the police. JMO

I am thankful you found that as it is relevant to some posts over the last several days. Members will recall that on many occasions, it was asserted here that Tostee told her she was not going to collect her belongings. What has jus been posted accords with what I heard in the recording, which was, "You’re not going to collect any belongings."

What he may well have been referring to (or had in mind) was that prior occasion when an invitee pinched one of his belongings on her way out of the Unit.

Hi SA - sorry to be so brief at the time. I'd looked up the date of the letter, and intended to reply to you about it, but I was trying to round up three cats and get them in for the night, and at some point I thought I'd better just hit the submit button and would write more later. It's now well over an hour later and I'm only just now sitting back down again!

Anyway, I just wanted to say, I wonder if there's anything that could be deduced from the timeline of Warriena's death to GT trying to outrun the police pursuit to his "letter of contrition" to the police. If I can find some spare time tomorrow, I'll try to figure it out. The one thing that strikes me about the letter is that it sounds like a big kid in the 18-21 year old age range - whereas he was actually a decade older than that. A bit too old to be pulling the "sorry I was a bad boy, I've learned from my mistakes" thingy.

I think that is why the jury wondered about his age! His behaviour might have come over to them as if he was immature - perhaps in the 18-21 year age group with Daddy helping him out of a difficult situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member