Australia Australia - William Tyrrell, 3, Kendall NSW, 12 Sept 2014 - # 5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
She went missing at 6 am Friday morning. The dogs were brought on Saturday morning, about 24 hours later.

It was not a busy area at all. She lived on a quiet cul-de-sac. Very few cars or people walking on her small street. So it is very surprising that the dogs could not follow her scent from the driveway to the bus stop. I only bring it up because now it gives me pause, in other cases, when we are told the same thing.

A pertinent point. It also gives me pause. I only wish I had some better information to gauge why this is so. I've now read so many different articles on sniffer dogs (makes interesting reading, and at least I'm learning something!) but unfortunately, I haven't been able to find an answer. For the most part, it seems a very professional operation, with well-trained dogs and trainers. Of course there will always be a percentage of failures, as with anything in life, but I am still at a loss to explain why scent would have been obvious in the driveway, but not found elsewhere - most especially if it's been proved (in the case of the missing girl) that she did indeed walk to the bus stop. It's all very frustrating, really.

Now this is interesting .. from link above. .. dogs may well not have been able to pick up a scent trail of he was PICKED UP and walked away. .

4) ODOURS OUT OF RANGE

A dog may have a very powerful sense of smell, but it’s range is actually very shallow. Hence why they spend so much time snuffling close to the ground.

Therefore the higher up the smell is, the less likely the dog will locate it.

Unless the handler is willing to lift the dog up so it can hoover everything above shoulder height, the dogs search is restricted to whatever locations it can clamber into.

With all due respect (and I mean that sincerely) - I don't know how much stock can be placed in that particular article. Some of the article seemed somewhat tongue in cheek, and I didn't find any reliably sourced information, from which they based their "findings".

I am not saying this to be contrary, however, the articles I did read tended to contradict some of the information in the article from "crimebodge". It also fails to explain why the girl discussed earlier who went missing, managed to walk to the bus stop, but the dogs failed to track her scent past the driveway. I'm not sure if I've posted this link previously (sorry, I'm getting a bit lost, and it's a somewhat trying day), however, the article below I find quite credible, and is quite similar to a number of similar articles I've managed to find on the subject.

http://www.vsrda.org/about-vsrda/using-air-scent-dogs

I apologise to all, if I've dragged this all up again, and you've already hashed it, but until these little mysteries can be ruled out, I think they still require further investigation. Having said that, it appears we may be at the end of our tether, so to speak, if no further relevant information can be found to either support or discredit the sniffer dog dilemma.

So, all we know from that is the dogs didn't find his scent away from the home. It doesn't mean they found it inside the home either.

For dogs to track William, they would have to be given something with his scent on it, like an item of clothing or favorite blanket, etc. If he had just arrived the night before, there may not have been much available to give the dogs to sample. He disappeared in his pj's. I guess they'd have the clothes he arrived in, because we know the washer was broken.

I have no idea how sniffer dogs work or how recently the person has to have been in contact with an item.
But I was thinking with William being only 3 years he would require a child seat (restraint) most of those have covers that can be removed.
The trip from Sydney and I expect he being in and out of the seat frequently - just maybe there would be a scent.

Ugh.

Would of been wonderful if that was the police calling for assistance identifying someone.

But, alas, it's just one person's account of how she and maybe a few other searchers had impressions on a random man.

And then an incredibly tenuous link to a psychic having "feelings".

What a strange article. I have never seen that one before (and I thought I had read everything!)

Wow. What a strange mix of information. :thinking:

Here fishy, fishy, fish.
:moo:

Looks like someone out for publicity to me, it's not worth reporting.

One of the people searching, with looks like a friend with coffee next to him. What a pathetic article and really odd behavior of Ms Bennett.

One of the people searching, with looks like a friend with coffee next to him. What a pathetic article and really odd behavior of Ms Bennett.
Searching in bushland with thongs on?

Searching in bushland with thongs on?

Who said he was searching in bushland? Maybe a local, maybe a family member, who knows?
Hardly any evidence of a crime, or finger pointing for that matter. What else haven't we been told?

Snipping from the article:

"William Tyrell was wearing his favourite Spiderman costume and playing with his younger sister in the yard at their grandmother's home during a visit to Kendall with their mother from Sydney, when he disappeared."

FFS!!! Get it right!!!! WT's sister is older! :flame:

"They widened the search, theorising that the boy may have been thrown from a vehicle after being abducted"

So they were actually looking for WT, not a piece of car :confused:

She said he had drawn or sunken facial features and prominent eyes. She had sent all of her material to detectives investigating the case.

'When I spoke with one of them, she confirmed that I had "one thing right" in my description of him.

'I also said there was an underworld or drug connection and she said yes that was right too.'

.... very interesting..

I was just coming to post that newspaper report but its already been done, its all over the place, I think i would tend to think more about it, if it was done by an Australian paper, just my 10 cents worth

oh opps Amee....trust me

I have the picture of that man not blurred, but I dont want Marly putting me on the naughty chair...lol so i best not post it

The Daily Mail has launched in Australia, but it still keeps the UK web address.

I'm actually really, really annoyed at the lazy reporting on this case. There are SO many mistakes all the time. This is not a trivial matter. Get the damn story straight!

Lazy and sloppy reporting at its worst.

"The photograph of a man with folded arms standing near police, described as 'pale, lanky and walks with a limp', has emerged as fresh evidence in the search for three-year-old William Tyrell - who vanished from Kendall on the NSW North Coast in September last year"

I am wondering how this can be evidence Margo. Know something we don't? Unless she saw this man commit a crime or say something it is simply gossip at best because she didn't like "how he looked".

Poor reporting yes, but I'm not sure that Margot Bennett deserves criticism other than going to the press with something that she has already passed on to the LE.

From the Daily Mail article upthread: 'We had been helping police and the SES and it was on the fifth day when this man who none of us had seen before just turned up and stood aisde from all the searchers just watching,' Mrs Bennett said. 'It gave me the creeps.'
(My emboldening)

Seems a legit reason to pass his image on to the LE, imo. I live in a small community and a stranger in a crowd stands out like a sore thumb. I too would have done the same, but would not have informed the press.

Jmo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member