Australia Australia - William Tyrrell, 3, Kendall NSW, 12 Sept 2014 - # 7

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, that's what I think catswhiskers, they are much more common, but aren't as widely (or sensationally) reported as by and large they end safely. Stranger abductions are rarer but when they happen the chance they will not end well is too high. And they have to be found FAST to have a good resolution.

There are plenty of websites from all over stating basically the same things. I just happened to choose that one. And yes, allaying parents' fears because it is a huge fear of parents, but yet the actual chances of it happening are very minimal. Here is some very minimal data from Australia specifically (BBM). My point in posting said article was just to say that stranger abduction is actually quite rare, and other explanations are actually much more likely, that is all:

Question: Are missing children likely to be abducted?

Most children that are reported missing are located safe and well within 24 hours. Common reasons for children going missing include a breakdown in communication, family conflict, domestic violence, mental health issues, peer pressure and drug/alcohol abuse. Only a small percentage of missing children are the result of stranger abductions.

Question: How many people are located each year?

Of the estimated 35,000 people who are reported missing in Australia, more than 95 per cent are located within a short period of time (usually one week). However there remains a significant number, more than 1,600, who are listed as long-term missing, that is, missing for more than six months (Missing Persons in Australia 2008).

http://www.missingpersons.gov.au/about-us/faqs

The article linked by deugirtni above about the rarity of stranger abductions is a little ambiguous I think. Until the last 2 paragraphs I got the impression it was more about allaying parents fears that their children were at risk of being abducted at any given time. It ends up citing stats that are supposed to prove that most abductions are familial anyway - but I take those stats with a grain of salt. They could possibly include lots of instances where a non-custodial parent has taken their child for some period of time - which is not something to make light of at all, but very different to the evil we associate with stranger abduction.
Maybe it's just my age showing, but I grew up in the days of the little Mackay sisters abduction and murder, Marilyn Wallman's disappearance and have lived to hear of lots of other terrifying child abductions and murders over the decades right here in Queensland alone. They have all been high profile and all have involved opportunistic strangers, and some remain unsolved. I definitely don't look at parents of missing children as being the most likely culprits.

Police eventually confirmed that Tyrrell is correct (which most of us here knew early on).

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/william-t...sit-bill-speddings-house-20150303-13tebj.html

* William Tyrrell's names was formerly spelt "Tyrell". Police have now advised the correct spelling is "Tyrrell"

Why it was originally misspelled I've no idea - maybe one outlet got it wrong and the others just copied for fear of looking incorrect themselves when it didn't match others, or maybe there was some intent behind it to make it harder for connections to be made (though were that the case you'd surely do more than omit a single letter), etc... who knows.

Police eventually confirmed that Tyrrell is correct (which most of us here knew early on).

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/william-t...sit-bill-speddings-house-20150303-13tebj.html

* William Tyrrell's names was formerly spelt "Tyrell". Police have now advised the correct spelling is "Tyrrell"

Why it was originally misspelled I've no idea - maybe one outlet got it wrong and the others just copied for fear of looking incorrect themselves when it didn't match others, or maybe there was some intent behind it to make it harder for connections to be made (though were that the case you'd surely do more than omit a single letter), etc... who knows.
I think it was originally spelt incorrectly on purpose. Dont forget they are trying to protect the identity of his sister also. The only way to fully release information on William but still try and protect others is to spell a name incorrectly because to the average Jo thats not sleuthing..... Who really cares how the name is spelt or is going to think twice about the spelling.

It is so sad there are no developments I hope there is a break in the case soon.

The phone on which the last photograph of William was taken has been analysed — the photo was taken “within an hour” of his disappearance

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sub...tory-e6frg6nf-1227064608526&memtype=anonymous

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-256407-p-4.html

The photo would presumably give a date/timestamp of when it was taken. Theoretically if someone set forward the date/time on their phone by a week then I would think that is the date that the photo taken today would show. The date/time on the phone could then be reset to be being correct and the photo would appear to be from the future.

However, if the police them looked at that photo next week, it might say it (EXIF data) was taken 'today' although the file will show it was created a week ago. So if someone wanted to fake it my opinion is that they would set the date forward on their phone and take the photo to get the EXIF data. Then remove that photo from their phone (bonus points for wiping the phone so no data is recoverable that there ever was a photo taken then) and store on a usb drive or similar. Then on the date you wanted to plant the photo, copy it back to the phone (ideally at as closet to the EXIF data says it was captured as possible)

Then again, I am sure there is software to change the EXIF data, date created properties etc which is probably easier to use than the method I described above

So while I don't think the photo is not real, I also don't think it is beyond the realm of possibility that someone could manipulate the timestamp/EXIF data and the police would be none the wiser.

The photo would presumably give a date/timestamp of when it was taken. Theoretically if someone set forward the date/time on their phone by a week then I would think that is the date that the photo taken today would show. The date/time on the phone could then be reset to be being correct and the photo would appear to be from the future.

However, if the police them looked at that photo next week, it might say it (EXIF data) was taken 'today' although the file will show it was created a week ago. So if someone wanted to fake it my opinion is that they would set the date forward on their phone and take the photo to get the EXIF data. Then remove that photo from their phone (bonus points for wiping the phone so no data is recoverable that there ever was a photo taken then) and store on a usb drive or similar. Then on the date you wanted to plant the photo, copy it back to the phone (ideally at as closet to the EXIF data says it was captured as possible)

Then again, I am sure there is software to change the EXIF data, date created properties etc which is probably easier to use than the method I described above

So while I don't think the photo is not real, I also don't think it is beyond the realm of possibility that someone could manipulate the timestamp/EXIF data and the police would be none the wiser.

I think the whole idea of manipulating the photo is just too complicated and implies that somehow his family were involved and pre-planned the whole thing. That photo wasn't the first one to be released to the public when William went missing. When it was released, I felt it was just to make folks aware of exactly what William was wearing at the time he disappeared. Plus I don't think you can hide anything you do on technology really - everything is saved somewhere on the device somehow. I'd think police forensics can access that information easily if need be.

It's sad there is no new developments. I pop in here from time to time to catch up but nothing is ever new. I'm hoping that LE know who took WT and are waiting for a slip up. They don't have enough to pin it on someone and all they can do is wait. Just a true mystery. Can't wait for the day when they find him.

I think the whole idea of manipulating the photo is just too complicated and implies that somehow his family were involved and pre-planned the whole thing. That photo wasn't the first one to be released to the public when William went missing. When it was released, I felt it was just to make folks aware of exactly what William was wearing at the time he disappeared. Plus I don't think you can hide anything you do on technology really - everything is saved somewhere on the device somehow. I'd think police forensics can access that information easily if need be.

Yes. Not trusting the photo means believing in an elaborate scheme. The grandmother is a well respected person and I doubt anyone would include her integrally in that.

surely all forensic results are back by now after the latest search?
because poi hasnt been arrested does that mean nothing of interest was found?
is he still a person of interest?

also wondering why msm havent gone after bs for another interview since the search, maybe police have advised them hes still a poi and out of bounds?
im sure if hes not guilty he would be out there by now protesting his innocence to the world!

also wondering why msm havent gone after bs for another interview since the search, maybe police have advised them hes still a poi and out of bounds?
im sure if hes not guilty he would be out there by now protesting his innocence to the world!

The MSM might have and BS might be ignoring them now, possibly waiting for someone else to be charged etc before he will sell his story to 60 Minutes and whoever else for a pricely sum of money etc.

Or he could be sitting back, determining his losses, without adding further fuel, in preparation for a large future lawsuit.

The MSM might have and BS might be ignoring them now, possibly waiting for someone else to be charged etc before he will sell his story to 60 Minutes and whoever else for a pricely sum of money etc.

A few good points here. Has Noah Thomas' case got you thinking?

A few good points here. Has Noah Thomas' case got you thinking?

I don't think is the same as Poor Noah. It's shame as because there is no info people (not necessarily) websleuths have started to randomly point the finger. If the police say the have confirmed the photo who are we to disagree? I do not think they are trying to stall the investigation. One thing I saw re Stephanie Scott rest her beautiful soul is that they foundinfo about her body through the accused mobile phones data. I do believe that media has gone quiet and people are being investigated it's just that the public knowing has no benefits to the case. Not saying as what would I know it's the POi. Just saying I think they Are on to something. Hope so

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carmenbellaxx