awaiting sentencing phase

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you. With all the deals that appear to have been done behind the scenes I begin to wonder if any evidence has any relevance and whether justice will truly be served. Nevertheless I remain determined to figure whatever I can from the meagre amount of data we can get hold of, and I remain convinced that the phone data tells us more than was covered in court. I heard BB and MW on Radio 702 earlier today and one of the things he said was that the exhibits (e.g. phone data) handed into the court are available to the public. I've written to BB to ask how one might obtain them. I don't think it's that simple. After all, giving out someone's phone records to all and sundry means you're giving a lot of other innocent people's phone details out too.

I'm glad you contacted BB.

It could be that one has to make a trip to the Courthouse to obtain the needed records... perhaps the phone calls actually used in Court are a matter of public record.

I totally see what you're saying about the problem of the numbers of innocent people showing up... however, if the data used in Court is available to the public, then perhaps the names/numbers of the innocent/uninvolved with the case are redacted?

Not Cereal @Creal_sa 33m
The trial will be longer than his sentence #OscarTrial

A legal interlude:

Is it true that there is a min sentence of 5 yrs for any culpable homicide involving a firearm?
No, this law was amended in 2007. There is no such minimum sentence.

Is it true that the state cannot appeal a sentence unless the accused mounts an appeal first?
No, this law was amended in 1990. The state can appeal a sentence all by itself.

Is it true that the prosecution can't even appeal the verdict as there was a competent verdict/not complete acquittal?
Yes and no. Yes, it is true that this is the case law. No, because it is not impossible to overturn it, in theory.

Is it true that if an appeal on the verdict is mounted by the state and the verdict is changed to murder, the sentence cannot be changed with it unless the accused also made an appeal?
No.

Peculiar predicament of white South Africans

"Then I drove to Johannesburg, and as I got closer to the city, so the heat seemed to rise. The airwaves were full of angry voices. Around dinner tables, people expressed a fury about Pistorius that surprised me.

Smart people usually good at distinguishing what they know from what they don’t were amazingly certain about what had happened between Pistorius and Reeva Steenkamp that night. People who had not spent as much as an hour of their lives studying criminal law spoke with thunderous authority about the impending verdict.

It seemed to me that a virus was going about. From the cross-section of SA I’d experienced since returning home, it was pretty clear that the virus was more virulent among the middle classes than among the poor, that it was spreading in the cities more than in the towns, and that the infected were disproportionately white."

http://www.bdlive.co.za/opinion/columnists/2014/10/03/peculiar-predicament-of-white-south-africans

This author is seriously off the mark.

The OP trial is not about race.

It’s about wealth and privilege and perfect social insulation at the very top against the harsh realities the rest of the world faces for the same offenses.

At most, it appears that rich boy Oscar will have merely suffered only self-inflicted public “breakdowns”, major inconvenience and disruption to his gilded life for the crime of brutally murdering Reeva Steenkamp.

(I have no reason to think that rich boy Dewani will suffer any worse fate. After all, one only has to remember in what "style" accused Dewani arrived in SA, the special treatment he's already received that no poor person could ever hope to dream of. Expect another farce, show trial.)

I fully expect a wholly-suspended sentence is the only punishment Masipa will hand down to this affluent, tantrum-throwing, sociopathic man-boy. After all, she doesn’t want to see him “punished” twice.

The OP murder case starkly highlights epidemic, culturally-sanctioned violence against women around the world; it harshly reminds us that a glorified, macho gun culture, oppressive patriarchy and outright misogyny KILL, no matter who the perpetrator is.

It’s about entrenched, systemic economic inequality that inevitably leads to a two-tiered society, a putrid rich man-poor man justice system that breeds even more social ills and unrest.

These issues are NOT peculiar to South Africa. I live in the (declining, regressing) US and on certain crucial levels, we’re slowly starting to resemble a third-world country (of course, like in SA, those in power always tell you everything is great ... and it is - for them).

If anything, the OP murder starkly highlights that VAW cuts across ALL economic, racial, ethnic, class and national divides.

This is what the author should have written about.

Mr. Fossil, it's great to read some of your theory about what happened that night/morning. Your hard work is appreciated.

If you look at my Phone usage charts for Reeva's phone (5353) you will see that other than for a few seconds it has a GPRS connection for the entire day, not just over night. The connections are contiguous. I pointed this out to Moller.

When you switch your phone on (or take it out of Airplane mode) it makes a connection to the nearest cell tower with the strongest signal and ample capacity. The data connection remains in place in case you need to use it, or in push mode, someone needs to send you something. Most of the time the data usage is nearly zero (I can see mine throughout the day and when I know I'm doing nothing I see the odd packet being exchanged and that's it).

I think Moller misunderstood how GPRS work. Or maybe I do?

Exactly - the phone cannot activate GPRS itself. This means someone is awake and using his phone. GPRS does not mean the phone is either sending or receiving data. If you think about it, the amount of data Reeva's phone would have sent/received when it is connected all day would have been colossal, as would her bill! It simply can't work like that.

bbm
i tend to think your version in preference to moller's. :)
backed up because... if connections were only made when data activity happens on the phone [as moller seems to suggest], the phone records would consist of many more shorter connects/disconnects.

shame there isn't someone on here from vodacom or similar to give a definitive answer.

One Tragic Night: The Oscar Pistorius Murder Trial

Mandy Wiener (Author), Barry Bateman (Author)

[KINDLE / EBOOK / NOOK / EPUB ] NOW AVAILABLE!!

Price: $11.49 USD - $12.99 USD
Publication Date: October 3, 2014
Publisher: Macmillan
Pages: 576

DOWNLOAD HERE:

AMAZON (Kindle) $11.49 USD

http://www.amazon.com/One-Tragic-Night-Pistorius-Murder-ebook/dp/B00IQNYVMQ

PcTabandPhone100X30._V351693146_.png
Anybody can read Kindle books—even without a Kindle device
—with the FREE Kindle app for smartphones, tablets and computers.

- OR -

GOOGLE PLAY (eBook) $11.49 (When pop-up window appears Click "cancel" to enter without sign-in)

https://play.google.com/store/books...pt_read&pcampaignid=books_booksearch_viewport

- OR -

SellerPriceSeller rating
Amazon.comNo priceNo rating
Barnes&Noble.com$12.99No rating
Books-A-MillionNo priceNo rating
IndieBoundNo priceNo rating
Barnes & Noble - NOOK$12.99No rating
eBookMall.com$12.99No rating

The mitigation and aggravation phase occurs before the sentence is handed down. The state is expected to have more witnesses than the defence. One week has been allocated for the entire process.

I would love to read more about this phase, to know where you received this information and to know what witnesses others think will be called and why.

:goodpost:

I agree with you about karma .. I would like to believe that there is such a thing, but sadly I really don't think there is as there are plenty of people who just carry on throughout life in the way that you describe. Proper justice needs to be served, and we can't just rely on karma to give OP his just deserts. In any case, it's as much about protecting other people from him in the future as it is about punishing him for what he did .. else there's going to be another person ending up dead at some point, purely because OP does not know how to control his temper and knows anyway that he has the privilage of getting off scot free for anything that he does do.

I now believe in karma. My brother-in-law defrauded me in 2011 and would not take any responsibility for it, lied about everything and "divorced me from the family". Before I left for overseas on 10th July 2014, I sent an email to him saying that I believed in karma and that he should take responsibility for his actions or else karma would get him. (It's a complicated case.) On 29th July, 2014 while I was on a cruise from Alaska to Vancouver (only 19 days later), he committed suicide by putting himself in front of a train! I certainly did not expect this sort of karma as my sister, their children and grandchildren are devastated and I am still in shock. I would have preferred to have justice and restitution for the money he owed me which I had hoped to get when I returned home again. He was a Jeckyl and Hyde character so many who knew him did not know about his dark side and what a conman he was. At least now I can look forward to being included in family celebrations again and have a better relationship with my sister who, of course, had sided with him. I have since learnt that he had two mortgages worth one million dollars hence his need to defraud me when I trusted him after I was traumatised after a house fire in which I could have died and he had offered to "help" me free of charge. My friends say I should feel lucky he is dead. I have never told anyone I wished karma on him as he was severely depressed at the time due to financial problems. He apparently was bipolar and had tried to commit suicide 20 years ago but this had been hushed up in the family ever since.

You know guys, I love coming into this thread and it's a busy beehive of activity, gives me good vibes. :loveyou:

We won't forget Reeva even though it seems many have, it's been OP and his sob story all the way. :(

I'm remaining hopeful, there is still the sentencing to come, and if OP even has to serve one whole year in jail, it will be a victory. He'll have his prosthetic legs, a cell to himself, and plenty of time for self reflection. :please:

I read somewhere that OP would not be allowed to have his prosthetic legs in prison as they could be used as weapons to hit someone. I just found it:

"In prison, Pistorius's prosthetic legs would be deemed potentially dangerous weapons and his celebrity could make him the target of attacks, threats or extortion."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...ars-in-notoriously-violent-prison-system.html

Then I found this:

"As a disabled prisoner, Pistorius would likely be able to keep his prosthetic legs most of the time but may have to hand them in to prison staff at night as they might be deemed a security risk."

http://www.news.com.au/world/oscar-...-if-sent-to-jail/story-fndir2ev-1227057308778

"But the question is, what could a prisoner do with that aid? “Crutches, for example, are hollow,” Clack says. “Can prisoners hide stuff in them? If so the authorities have to decide how to deal with the issue.”

http://you.co.za/news/oscar-pistorius/if-oscar-goes-to-jail/#/

I read somewhere that OP would not be allowed to have his prosthetic legs in prison as they could be used as weapons to hit someone.

Is that true?

I watched a documentary recently about the disabled in prison in South Africa, it was in reference to Oscar Pistorius and what he can look forward to, it wasn't the notoriously overcrowded and crime ridden prison that is usually advertised.
These men can keep their prosthetic legs and a high profile prisoner would have a cell to himself.
I'll search through my history and find the video. :)

SinglesAroundMe profile

"EDUCATION: University graduate"

WIKIPEDIA: Oscar Pistorius

"Alma Mater: University of Pretoria (did not graduate)"

But many people lie on these intimate encounter dating profiles and many people pretend they did get the degree when they did not. I would guess it is him as he calls himself "OZ" too. Otherwise, someone is pretending to be him.

By Mandy Wiener, Barry Bateman

PREVIEW: 37 various pages (link below) Scroll all the way up to the Title page to start reading.

http://books.google.com/booksid=WIKBAwAAQBAJ&lpg=PA86&ots=DD0eydw_66&dq=south%20africa%20One%20Tragic%20Night%3A%20The%20Oscar%20Pistorius%20Murder%20Trial%20download&pg=PA454#v=onepage&q&f=false

I have tried to access the 37 page preview that you allude to but there are no links that I can find to it. This book does not seem to be available in Australia yet.

I have tried to access the 37 page preview that you allude to but there are no links that I can find to it. This book does not seem to be available in Australia yet.

This worked for me:

http://www.amazon.com/One-Tragic-Night-Pistorius-Murder-ebook/dp/B00IQNYVMQ

I turned to the last page in the kindle sample, where it says Botha called June at 5am ... correct me if I'm wrong but didn't you transcribe a Carte Blance programme Estelle, way back, where June was interviewed and said she was called at 07:30?

ETA: Thought so, found your post here. Not good to see BB/MW have taken at least one piece of their info from the tabloids

ETA2: Botha doesn't even take the phones until the last photos have been taken of them in the bathroom at 06:18-06:19 (photos #106-108). From the book we learn that Samantha G provides Reeva's passcode to allow Botha access to her Contacts and from that June's phone number sometime before 07:30, when he makes the call.

I don't think My Lady is going to send him to prison. She didnt go to all that trouble, working out her own version of the evidence, just to have him locked up, imo. I think he will stay a free man. Suspended sentence coming up.

By Mandy Wiener, Barry Bateman

PREVIEW: 37 various pages (link below) Scroll all the way up to the Title page to start reading.

http://books.google.com/booksid=WIKBAwAAQBAJ&lpg=PA86&ots=DD0eydw_66&dq=south%20africa%20One%20Tragic%20Night%3A%20The%20Oscar%20Pistorius%20Murder%20Trial%20download&pg=PA454#v=onepage&q&f=false
The blurb reads :
At first glance, it appeared to be a heart-wrenching, tragic accident. The athlete had mistaken beautiful Reeva Steenkamp for an intruder. But as the morning unfolded, a second version of events began to reveal itself, indicating that the country’s celebrated icon, its "Golden Boy," may have murdered his model girlfriend in a fit of rage.

I disagree with the above, this is incorrect ! The events unfolded the other way round - Initially it was reported that Oscar had shot and killed his girlfriend in act of DV , and later that morning, after Oscar's arrest, a second 'version' had been released that he'd mistaken Reeva for a burglar.

because in the FIRST Police press conference to the media outside Silverwoods a policewoman said Oscar had been arrested and a woman had been killed and that it was a Domestic Violence situation where police were called to Oscar's house. The SECOND press conference outside Silverwoods was an 'update' by the same policewoman , and in that , she asked by a Journo if she was aware of rumours that had come out on the radio that Oscar had shot his girlfriend mistaking her for a burglar. The policewoman said she was NOT aware of that information ,and that it hadn't come from the police -

Interesting too that I can't find that FIRST media conference on youtube anymore, I can only find the SECOND !!! -hmm perhaps Lawyers stepped in !

My guess is after Oscar's arrest and a chat with ol Oldwadge the Lawyer damage limitation kicked into gear from OP's camp and they got that Intruder story out pretty darn quickly to counteract the first media press conference reporting that Oscar had shot and killed his girlfriend in act of DV !- and then they appointed a top PR guy to manage Oscar's website !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay