AZ AZ - Chelsea Grimm, 32, traveling from San Diego CA to CT, car found Oct 5 on Forest Rd 6 near Williams, she was last seen in Williams, 28 Sep 2023

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
IMO misadventure in the desert is a possibility.

Or she caught a ride with someone - which could have gone badly or not.

I don't see ruling out that she's alright and voluntarily missing. She could have found someone to stay with. Could her interest in missing people indicate she needed some time to herself, saw an opportunity, and took it? JMO.

In any of these scenarios, she was vulnerable, though. I hope her parents don't have to wait long to find her.

I keep coming back to this, hoping for updates. My thoughts are:
  • It's a long drive from Phoenix to Seligman, and there's no obvious direct route. Did she come in from the West or from the East? What made that her destination for the night? If she was originally planning to go BACK to Phoenix the next day, that tells me her planned route home was thru Phoenix and that she had already decided not to make the trip to Connecticut before she left Phoenix.
  • She had a lot of belongings with her when she left her car (voluntarily or involuntarily). It's unlikely she would have gone off and set up camp somewhere very far from her vehicle without trying to get that dealt with first (get it towed, get it patched on-site). Why was the camera left behind if she took everything else?
  • I've only seen it mentioned that on 10/4, "cell phone and credit card activity had ceased by then" but when exactly did cell phone activity cease? LE must have more information around this. Did she have cell phone service there? Verizon coverage map shows at least 4G service in most of the area around Ash Fork (though localized "dead zones" are always possible).
  • Did LE clear the "woodcutter" that encountered her near Ash Fork? From what I can tell he was the last person to see her alive, and her vehicle was found not far away.
I'm leaning towards an abduction/attack or self-harm as equally viable options. Crying in a cemetery, fear of her ex-boyfriend, anxiety over doing the trip alone, history of non-specific mental illness. None of that paints a good picture.

My thoughts / rankings of possible scenarios:
1 Voluntarily missing. Based on the small vid by the PI at the hotel where she tries to exchange foreign money, full video unreleased
2 Which brings me to break with reality and mental health issues perhaps even resulting in hospitalization or treatment. Since she's an adult, privacy is assured and she might succeed in hiding. Based on setting out cross country, then ditching that but not turning around and going back to CA, along with past history (some of which may be rumor)
3. Self harm
4. Abducted by person known, with either her remaining held or she's been killed
5. Abducted by stranger, same as above

Anything else we should consider?

I keep coming back to this, hoping for updates. My thoughts are:
  • It's a long drive from Phoenix to Seligman, and there's no obvious direct route. Did she come in from the West or from the East? What made that her destination for the night? If she was originally planning to go BACK to Phoenix the next day, that tells me her planned route home was thru Phoenix and that she had already decided not to make the trip to Connecticut before she left Phoenix.
  • She had a lot of belongings with her when she left her car (voluntarily or involuntarily). It's unlikely she would have gone off and set up camp somewhere very far from her vehicle without trying to get that dealt with first (get it towed, get it patched on-site). Why was the camera left behind if she took everything else?
  • I've only seen it mentioned that on 10/4, "cell phone and credit card activity had ceased by then" but when exactly did cell phone activity cease? LE must have more information around this. Did she have cell phone service there? Verizon coverage map shows at least 4G service in most of the area around Ash Fork (though localized "dead zones" are always possible).
  • Did LE clear the "woodcutter" that encountered her near Ash Fork? From what I can tell he was the last person to see her alive, and her vehicle was found not far away.
I'm leaning towards an abduction/attack or self-harm as equally viable options. Crying in a cemetery, fear of her ex-boyfriend, anxiety over doing the trip alone, history of non-specific mental illness. None of that paints a good picture.

There used to be only one route up that way, but there was *so* much traffic coming in and out of the California border that they built a parallel highway that connects Phoenix to Interstate-40. 40 is one of the most trafficked highways in the US, since it goes all the way from California to South Carolina, IIRC (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

So, since she ends up in Seligman, then Williams (I think) and then certainly near Ash Fork, but that makes it look like she did take the 17 to Flagstaff, drove on to Seligman/Williams (towards California), then BACK to Ash Fork. It doesn't make a lot of sense and I've found it worrying.

If she had stayed on the 17, she would have had more miles to drive back to California, but she also would have gone right past Sedona. It's by far the more scenic of the two routes and has more services. Oak Creek Canyon is amazing. But it doesn't seem as if she had time to visit there at that point in her trip.

I'm forgetting whether she was seen in Williams or Seligman first. But in any case, once she left those towns, she was driving east again (on the 40, towards Flagstaff, and pulls off for some reason in Ash Fork).

Forest road beauty between Ash Fork and Williams (Williams Mountain in the distance). To me, Phoenix to Williams is a half day road trip. We routinely drive from the California to Grand Canyon in one day, and sometimes further (Gallup is usually our stopping point). 500 miles or so is a pretty standard road trip goal in the Western US (or Australia - heck, Aussies routinely plan even longer trips when they visit the Western US). Our house to Gallup is 670 miles. I've done this alone, and I prefer to drive even if I have someone to spell me.

Phoenix to Flagstaff is 144 miles or so, and from Phoenix to Ash Fork is 195 miles. I keep questioning her strategy - if she was planning San Diego to Connecticut, she needed to average way more miles a day (as most people do) on that cross country journey. Something was off with her planning. And now no one knows where she is and she is without her car.

:confused:

My thoughts / rankings of possible scenarios:
1 Voluntarily missing. Based on the small vid by the PI at the hotel where she tries to exchange foreign money, full video unreleased
2 Which brings me to break with reality and mental health issues perhaps even resulting in hospitalization or treatment. Since she's an adult, privacy is assured and she might succeed in hiding. Based on setting out cross country, then ditching that but not turning around and going back to CA, along with past history (some of which may be rumor)
3. Self harm
4. Abducted by person known, with either her remaining held or she's been killed
5. Abducted by stranger, same as above

Anything else we should consider?
Whatever happened ultimately, this all started with her thought process, which seems unusual to me
MOO

I’ve read the entire thread, forgive me if I missed it… when was the wedding supposed to be?
It hasn’t been officially stated, but sources close to her have said that she planned to be in Connecticut/ NY during the weekend of September 29th for the wedding of a longtime friend.

MOO: She left San Diego on 9/24, so she would need to drive ~650 miles/ day to arrive in CT by Friday the 28th. She called her parents on 9/27 from Phoenix (~370 miles from home) letting them know that she wasn’t going to make the wedding.

Last edited:
This case has only been on my peripherery since I saw the first reports, but I think she walked away from her car with only the items she did because she was alone and didn't want to carry anything she didn't need.
Sorry if I missed it, but was it ever mentioned what items she did take with her or what items might have been missing when her vehicle was found?

Sorry if I missed it, but was it ever mentioned what items she did take with her or what items might have been missing when her vehicle was found?
IIRC she took her pet dragon, her wallet, her phone, and her sleeping bag. I think she was thinking she would be able to walk back to the main road from where she was to get help. Hopefully she didn't see a light off in the distance and think "oh, I'll just hike over there".

IIRC she took her pet dragon, her wallet, her phone, and her sleeping bag. I think she was thinking she would be able to walk back to the main road from where she was to get help. Hopefully she didn't see a light off in the distance and think "oh, I'll just hike over there".

According to the tweet linked above, the Sheriff's Department had "her computer, a phone, purse, wallet, journals, receipts, and her canon camera".

According to what I have read, and I could be wrong, but I thought when the wood cutter came upon her it was at the same location where her car was later found with a lot of her belonging still inside the car.

Seems a little strange that two tires would have gone flat at the same time and the vehicle was apparently not even moved. I would certainly think if she needed to walk to find help because two of her tires were flat, she would have said something to the wood cutter guy. Or the wood cutter guy would have noticed that her tires were flat, he would have asked if she needed help.

I'm not surprised she would leave her purse if she usually carried a lot of stuff, but am very surprised she didn't take her wallet. Even if she had no money, I would think she would want to have her ID with her.
I think this may mean she could be trying to leave her old life behind, in a similar way to what Vance Rodriguez (Mostly Harmless) did when he left his home in New York City to set out on the Appalachian Trail and beyond. MOO

This case has only been on my peripherery since I saw the first reports, but I think she walked away from her car with only the items she did because she was alone and didn't want to carry anything she didn't need.

And that process (of deciding what to take) can be crucial when someone decides to (as we say in my family) "Go on walkabout." (We stole this from the Australians of course). But I have two grandfathers who both went voluntarily missing...it was more common for men, back in the day (one is actually a great-grandfather).

I'm holding out hope that this is the case for Chelsea. Or that she has found a community that she wanted to visit or return to. That she's okay and thinking clearly about her own goals and survival.

IMO.

The officer directs Grimm to a Loves Travel Stop and explains that if she parks near the gas station “nobody will bother” her.

the info in here is old-and whatever "new" info the PI found- it was never made public. I think it is weird that she is out of contact with everyone. parents had said that she was more likely to "over share" than to not communicate. She just does not come across as in the real world to wander off without food/water/etc. Was there actually cell service where her car was found? And for locals- what kind of wood cutting goes on in AZ? "woodcutter" sounds like an old fairy tale character. I have seen logging on the east coast, north and south and it is pretty mechanized, noisy, involves lots of heavy equipment and large trucks.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cancerkilla
Back