AZ AZ - Chelsea Grimm, 32, traveling from San Diego CA to CT, car found Oct 5 on Forest Rd 6 near Williams, she was last seen in Williams, 28 Sep 2023

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I hear of people cutting wood in the Sierra, for their own use or to sell, need a permit.

Here's what it says about the Coconino National Forest.

The Coconino provides firewood for personal use both on a free-use permit and a paid permit basis. In either case, a permit must be acquired by anyone harvesting any firewood on the National Forest, except for the rather small amounts used in a campfire and gathered at the campfire site.

Cutting season occurs from mid-April to mid-December.

Permits are easy to get. And I bet this gentleman had one or he wouldn't have been so public about the fact that he was harvesting wood.

I think it's the Kaibab National Forest, btw, and the rules there say you can get a permit to harvest the following:

//
The Kaibab National Forest issues permits for various forest products including:

• Christmas Trees
  • Firewood Corral Poles Fence Posts/Stays
  • Pine Cones
  • Tree Boughs
  • Wilding Transplants
//
Tree boughs and Posts/Stays are the things I see on the lots that sell firewood (and poles of course). Further, the rules for Kaibab National Forest (more distant from AZ population centers than Coconino) state:

//
Permits may be issued for personal, commercial, and traditional use.
//

People who call themselves woodcutters, esp. as a profession, typically have permits IME. And Kaibab NF gives out free Christmas Tree permits for people who have children in local schools (or something like that - you can learn more about it on their website).

Sierra NF's each have their own rules and even vary by district within the forests, IME and IMO. Each of our NF has its own management team, and most of them allow commercial use (there are cattle ranchers, for example, in NF's in the Sierra). And NM has several NF"s that allow commercial harvesting of wood products - just like Kaibab NF does.

IMO.

Im just reviewing.

Snipped..

...Here’s the timeline of her disappearance:

September 24: Chelsea left her home in San Diego

September 27: Chelsea met with a friend in Phoenix

September 27: Chelsea was seen at hotel in Seligman

September 27: Last day Chelsea talked with her parents

September 28: Body camera footage shows Chelsea talking with a police officer in Williams, Arizona

September 30: Chelsea talked with a woodcutter in Ash Fork, Arizona

October 4: Parents file missing person’s report

October 5: Authorities find Chelsea’s SUV outside Ash Fork, Arizona

ETA:

Snipped...
...The body camera video is nine minutes long. In it, the officer asks Grimm if she uses marijuana. She admitted to smoking it hours before. Police say the patrol officer didn’t feel she was disoriented and safe to drive.

Her car registration was about to expire, and he warned her to update it.

Driscoll says ex-boyfriends have been ruled out in her disappearance. The sheriff also says her family told them she struggled sometimes with mental health but nothing definitive.

Last edited:
How far is Loves Travel Stop from the Cemetery where she was seen? Surely they've inquired about her being there at the gas station and searched the way she would get there if walking.
Did she have a suitcase packed in the car with clothes for a wedding? It almost seems like she had no intention of driving to the wedding from the day she started out driving. MOO

How far is Loves Travel Stop from the Cemetery where she was seen? Surely they've inquired about her being there at the gas station and searched the way she would get there if walking.
Did she have a suitcase packed in the car with clothes for a wedding? It almost seems like she had no intention of driving to the wedding from the day she started out driving. MOO
Fairly close.
(the route through town is shorter, but the railroad crossings might be tied up)

ETA: Good point about wedding clothes!

Last edited:
Here is a Map of the Service Road 6 I grabbed from page 1 of this thread, although we do not know the coordinates of exactly where her car was found the area and the length of the road is not very long
The upper end shown on the map is close to where her car was found, which was here:

This case really caught my attention. Personally I started really worried about this being foul play (came upon this forum from a previous rabbit hole) but now I find the theory of volition more likely. Having had previous experiences of feeling lost in love/life and overwhelmed from always being online/reachable. I discontinued my phone and moved to a big crowded city, from a rural area. I did inform family, but through e-mail.

Additionally she did have some experience being out in nature, and the only (animal) predator being coyotes does spark a glimmer of hope. I guess we won't know for some time as the area looks massive, but just wanted to share my view on why someone might be wanting some radio silence, and also might be apprehensive about including others. Maybe the reason she hasn't returned to the car, could be that she found a nice spot to contemplate or recharge. JMO

Nothing really new... but at least a recent update... from yesterday.
Sept 28-30.... that's 3 days in the Williams and Ash Fork area.... I do wonder if there is any further activities .. three days in a strange area, does seem like a long time actually.

Last edited:
Not sure of the circumstances of her recent relationship but going to a wedding after a recent break up could trigger a lot of negative emotions.
i wonder if the ex was invited to the wedding and supposed to go with her at some point. MOO

It's hard to imagine she simply walked away from her vehicle and succumbed, unfound, but it's happened....

Maybe she felt like her car gave up on her?

But it also seems like she could have arranged for and/or accepted a ride from that point. In which case, she's either living a new life or she's in extreme danger...

My heart goes out to her family. The anguish and helplessness of not knowing....

jmo

I was thinking this. I wonder if she had multiple cameras though?
good question.
I am perplexed by not taking the camera as well. When you actually work with your photography, not just using a phone to snap a few pictures here and there.... You really DO keep it with you.

I would feel better knowing that she took a camera... rather than venturing into nowhere with nothing.....

The two flat tires bother me. If her vehicle didn't have flats, I would be more willing to think she purposely chose to abandon her vehicle and go off in the wilderness for whatever purpose. But with two flats, a car wouldn't be driveable. It also is odd IMO to get two flats at the same time on the same side of the car. Have LE inspected the tires to see if they were slashed?

It just gives me a bad feeling that someone saw her get out of her vehicle and while she was away, slashed her tires so she couldn't leave. Or saw her somewhere else, slashed them, and she didn't realize they were flat until she got to this point. Just one flat tire wouldn't be as odd to me. But if you think about it, most people have one spare and they could just change out the tire and drive out to get it replaced. But with two flats, you're stuck. And might be willing to get in a car with a "friendly stranger" who happens by and offers to drive you to a service station or what not. This is all MOO but it's just giving me a bad feeling. I hope I'm wrong about the foul play vibes.

Nothing really new... but at least a recent update... from yesterday.
Sept 28-30.... that's 3 days in the Williams and Ash Fork area.... I do wonder if there is any further activities .. three days in a strange area, does seem like a long time actually.

And I cannot explain at all how she left San Diego on the 24 (did she really?) but doesn't get to Phoenix (apparently) until the 26th. Then lunch in Phoenix with the friend the next day? Did she arrive in Phoenix on the 25th? What did she want to hang out in Phoenix for? She had thousands of miles to cover.

At any rate, it's not that far from SD to Phoenix - certainly no more than a day on a roadtrip.

<modsnip - quoted post was removed for no link. Response also removed>

Last edited by a moderator:
And I cannot explain at all how she left San Diego on the 24 (did she really?) but doesn't get to Phoenix (apparently) until the 26th. Then lunch in Phoenix with the friend the next day? Did she arrive in Phoenix on the 25th? What did she want to hang out in Phoenix for? She had thousands of miles to cover.

At any rate, it's not that far from SD to Phoenix - certainly no more than a day on a roadtrip.

<modsnip - quoted post was removed for no link. Response also removed>
I think she was stopping along the way for her photography project, food for herself and Roz, etc. Taking her time. She was in no hurry. I don't think she ever intended on going to the wedding by the time she began her journey from Cali.

<modsnip - no link to statement made as fact>

Friend said Chelsea didn't discuss starting a new life with them, but sketchy ex-boyfriend's sketchy friend was telling local news Chelsea discussed running away to mexico.

Last edited by a moderator:
The two flat tires bother me. If her vehicle didn't have flats, I would be more willing to think she purposely chose to abandon her vehicle and go off in the wilderness for whatever purpose. But with two flats, a car wouldn't be driveable. It also is odd IMO to get two flats at the same time on the same side of the car. Have LE inspected the tires to see if they were slashed?

It just gives me a bad feeling that someone saw her get out of her vehicle and while she was away, slashed her tires so she couldn't leave. Or saw her somewhere else, slashed them, and she didn't realize they were flat until she got to this point. Just one flat tire wouldn't be as odd to me. But if you think about it, most people have one spare and they could just change out the tire and drive out to get it replaced. But with two flats, you're stuck. And might be willing to get in a car with a "friendly stranger" who happens by and offers to drive you to a service station or what not. This is all MOO but it's just giving me a bad feeling. I hope I'm wrong about the foul play vibes.

Wouldn’t the two-on-one-side flats occur when you sideswiped the same road hazard with front and back tires on the same side? To me, that doesn’t sound like anything strange. (Not that I’ve done it!)

Wouldn’t the two-on-one-side flats occur when you sideswiped the same road hazard with front and back tires on the same side? To me, that doesn’t sound like anything strange. (Not that I’ve done it!)

Sideswiped works as well. Driven over or sideswiped. Every time we got on very rock roads (usually with fairly sharp granite) my husband is constantly certain that we'll have a flat any minute. I tell him that's why I got special tires (Mountain/Snow tires, top rated, double steel belted). We also carry Fix A Flat.

So far, I've managed to do only one thing that disabled my truck, but not from tires. I haven't gone offroading in 10 years now, but we do go to National Forests pretty regularly and if service roads are open, we often take them, with an eye to how easy it will be to turn around. Being trapped on a narrow road with a cliff on one side is a total nightmare (and I have had to go in reverse along a sheer drop because I was too stubborn to turn around at a more reasonable spot).

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RainbowYarnSlueth
Back