AZ AZ - Chelsea Grimm, 32, traveling from San Diego CA to CT, car found Oct 5 on Forest Rd 6 near Williams, she was last seen in Williams, 28 Sep 2023

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Why take bank cards if you're not going to use them?
You're presuming rational thinking where there may have been none. She locked her car, too. It's remarkable what we can do just on habit. She may have taken her purse with her ID simply because it was a hardwired, subconscious action.

Or maybe she thought wherever she was going, she would be able to use them.

MOO

The pattern here is pretty clear to me. Clearer than in some of these cases I've read about.

I think her thinking was distorted before she was even due on the flight that never happened. Being away from familiar landmarks and people just amplified and intensified the problem. And because of that, she is gone.

I do hope they find her. Best case, for me, I think is if they find her living homeless in some nearby city, and are able to get her help. But I have the feeling that her misfiring brain told her that her path, her adventure, or the answer she was seeking was... out there. And so she took her bank and ID cards, her sleeping bag, and her pet lizard, and walked out into the wilderness.

MOO
BBM & SFSBM

When you throw in the two flat tires, none of the mental break down theories make a whole lot of sense to me.

JMO

Big question for me is, was her vehicle when found locked? If she was met with foul play and abducted at or near her car, I don't think the vehicle would have been locked.

If she left with someone who offered her a ride to get help for fix her car, then I can't understand why she would take her sleeping bag.

Maybe she started hiking out to get help, took her sleeping bag in case she needed to sleep through the night and stay warm, someone came upon her while walking, offered her a ride, abducted her.

JMO

BBM & SFSBM

When you throw in the two flat tires, none of the mental break down theories make a whole lot of sense to me.

JMO
Well, she had a phone, and she didn't make any callouts for help. Not to the police, not to a tow service or anything. They checked. Why not?

Someone going through an episode can get a flat just like anyone. Especially on an unsealed road miles away from home. What they struggle with is making the right choices in that situation. She doesn't call for help. Whether someone picked her up or she walked away, I think there is a pretty good amount of evidence she wasn't thinking clearly, and that it contributed to her disappearance.

MOO

The only evidence I'm aware of that hints she wasn't thinking clearly was the report she tried to use a foreign currency to pay for something. That just gives me more questions -where did she get Euros??? Are we sure it was her?
For the Euros, she spent time in an alternative youth school in southern France, and may have traveled to Europe on other occasions as well.

You're presuming rational thinking where there may have been none. She locked her car, too. It's remarkable what we can do just on habit. She may have taken her purse with her ID simply because it was a hardwired, subconscious action.

Or maybe she thought wherever she was going, she would be able to use them.

MOO
Or she didn't want anyone else using/stealing them.

Big question for me is, was her vehicle when found locked? If she was met with foul play and abducted at or near her car, I don't think the vehicle would have been locked.

If she left with someone who offered her a ride to get help for fix her car, then I can't understand why she would take her sleeping bag.

Maybe she started hiking out to get help, took her sleeping bag in case she needed to sleep through the night and stay warm, someone came upon her while walking, offered her a ride, abducted her.

JMO
Locked.

BBM & SFSBM

JMO

I've worked in mental health settings (research) for a bit over 40 years and it looks familiar to me. I've posted about patients whose course showed many of the same elements as this case (and in the same age group and for the same sex, because that's relevant to the onset of mental illness and to its patterns).

There are many, many examples where some kind of mechanical breakdown or other malfunction of ordinary life triggers wandering behavior. I've lived with a family member who had several episodes of this type, including one that required a search.

You can compare the acute phase of several mental illnesses to dementia. People with dementia get confused by their car breaking down and do not behave in ways that others would. Wandering off is pretty common.

But first, no one gets two flats by driving safely and carefully on forest roads. I can think of all kinds of scenarios that would cause two flats on the same side of the car, Once one gets two flats, they call AAA. CG's parents have said she had a AAA card. Prior to her disappearance, they also offered her help in other ways. This is in combination with her statements to the motel that she would not use a CC (which she had) because she didn't want to be tracked.

THat sounds anti-common sense and a little paranoid. Was it her parents she didn't want to have "track" her? Because it would be unlikely for anyone else to be able to try, unless she had given her account information to someone in complete enough fashion that they could access her online banking statements (which seems highly unlikely).

I don't see why you think the flat tires preclude a mental health issue, esp. when her parents say she did sometimes struggle.

IMO.

Perhaps. It's the camera being left behind that bothers me. I think most photographers would never leave the camera, not if they were thinking straight.

MOO
That's so true. It's the inconsistencies, you know? She locks the car. She takes the wallet/cards. She leaves the camera. I think it's another example of her not thinking clearly. :(

Well, she had a phone, and she didn't make any callouts for help. Not to the police, not to a tow service or anything. They checked. Why not?
Was it reported there was in fact cell service, for her cellular carrier, where her vehicle was found abandon?

I would think LE is combing through the cell phone data to see what can be learned there.

That's so true. It's the inconsistencies, you know? She locks the car. She takes the wallet/cards. She leaves the camera. I think it's another example of her not thinking clearly. :(
People think of psychosis as being like an on/off switch, you either have it or you don't. It's so much more nuanced than that. I have a good friend with schizophrenia, who was diagnosed I think at age eleven? Most of their life. And they know when they're slipping into it. They see things they know aren't there, hear things, have patterns of thought they know can't be right, and they have that window to seek treatment or a med change and regain their balance. But it's also possible to have moments of clarity and moments of delusion, alternating between the two. So you can be crying and (possibly) talking to dead soldiers, or doing something else strange enough to get the cops called, but by the time the cop arrives, you've leveled out a bit and all that's left are the tears.

MOO

I know from personal experience that in the Bradshaw Mountains (mostly west of where Chelsea was reportedly tooling around) cell service is very spotty, mapping has issues due to a lot of unmarked roads, or roads that are roads only sometimes. My partner was lost there about a year ago - I called LE in the area who basically said, the area is massive and used the whole needle in a haystack analogy. (my partner eventually found their way home.) Again I say, the terrain is not friendly or easy.

(Please don't let this derail the thread - I did see mention of this a few pages back during the GPS discussion but was late to reply - but in the Phoenix area, there is a real problem with wrong way drivers that seems unique to this area, separate and aside from any GPS issues and certainly worthy of discussion elsewhere. A lot of people have been killed in recent years on freeways by drivers driving the wrong way. Like, an abnormal amount. It is crazy and sad and just unexplainable at this point.)

(Please don't let this derail the thread - I did see mention of this a few pages back during the GPS discussion but was late to reply - but in the Phoenix area, there is a real problem with wrong way drivers that seems unique to this area, separate and aside from any GPS issues and certainly worthy of discussion elsewhere. A lot of people have been killed in recent years on freeways by drivers driving the wrong way. Like, an abnormal amount. It is crazy and sad and just unexplainable at this point.)
I don't think it's completely unexplainable. IMO, The freeway on and offramps are horribly designed in the Phoenix area, it's an engineering failure. I lived there for almost 20 years and could easily see how someone (especially unfamiliar with the area) could get on the offramp instead of the onramp on several of their freeways. They've finally installed more wrong way signs and cameras that detect wrong way drivers, but I've witnessed people get on the offramps with my own eyes, twice! I know you didn't want to derail, but I don't think it's a huge mystery why there are so many wrong way drivers in PHX. That and all the drunk drivers - holy cow! :confused:

I don't think it's completely unexplainable. IMO, The freeway on and offramps are horribly designed in the Phoenix area, it's an engineering failure. I lived there for almost 20 years and could easily see how someone (especially unfamiliar with the area) could get on the offramp instead of the onramp on several of their freeways. They've finally installed more wrong way signs and cameras that detect wrong way drivers, but I've witnessed people get on the offramps with my own eyes, twice! I know you didn't want to derail, but I don't think it's a huge mystery why there are so many wrong way drivers in PHX. That and all the drunk drivers - holy cow! :confused:
I've lived here for 27 years and I live IN the city and drive lots and have never ever mistaken an on or off ramp. This is a new phenomenon here. I don't contend it is a mystery, but I do contend we need to figure it out. Yes, many of the accidents have involved drivers who are drunk or impaired, but there is more to it IMO. ETA: Then again, I grew up and learned to drive in Detroit - The Motor City - where we know how to drive lol!

She might have a complete meltdown. She might see it as a sign the Universe wants her to walk. It's impossible to guess from so little. She took her pet, her cards, etc. so she wasn't in a state so bad she was running through the woods naked. But that doesn't mean she wasn't in such a way that she wasn't a danger to herself.

The comments here bother me, so much that I went back through the thread to find it.

Specifically:

Her father says she seemed uneven the past few days. He said, "I would say yes, but I also think it's fair to say she didn't seem completely 'even'. She seemed pretty uneven that last day or two."

He didn't say, she was upset, she was depressed, she was emotional, she was excited... he said she was UNEVEN.

And as someone with, as I have said, a family member who seems determined to light their own life on fire every few months because they'd rather that than look after themselves, uneven suggests to me that she was scattered, erratic, and emotionally all over the shop.

The choice to drive crosscountry rather than fly was literally made the day of the flight. Who does that?

A couple of days later, she isn't going to the wedding at all, she's camping! Wandering around Arizona, meeting up with a friend then cancelling on them the next day, trying to use Euros instead of USD, taking photos of missing posters and veterans graves and crying in cemeteries.

All her devices and cards go dark, and Chelsea vanishes.

The pattern here is pretty clear to me. Clearer than in some of these cases I've read about.

I think her thinking was distorted before she was even due on the flight that never happened. Being away from familiar landmarks and people just amplified and intensified the problem. And because of that, she is gone.

I do hope they find her. Best case, for me, I think is if they find her living homeless in some nearby city, and are able to get her help. But I have the feeling that her misfiring brain told her that her path, her adventure, or the answer she was seeking was... out there. And so she took her bank and ID cards, her sleeping bag, and her pet lizard, and walked out into the wilderness.

MOO
The Euros still really baffled me. I remember my last question to the PI who was here on this thread for a day was "did she, possibly have another camera?" Unfortunately we never got an answer... But is she did, I could envision the possibility of being homeless in some other town. I'm trying to hold onto that thought right now....

P
I know from personal experience that in the Bradshaw Mountains (mostly west of where Chelsea was reportedly tooling around) cell service is very spotty, mapping has issues due to a lot of unmarked roads, or roads that are roads only sometimes. My partner was lost there about a year ago - I called LE in the area who basically said, the area is massive and used the whole needle in a haystack analogy. (my partner eventually found their way home.) Again I say, the terrain is not friendly or easy.

People are allowed to drive after smoking weed, could be one of the reason.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edlynch
Back