AZ AZ - Chelsea Grimm, 32, traveling from San Diego CA to CT, car found Oct 5 on Forest Rd 6 near Williams, she was last seen in Williams, 28 Sep 2023

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
@Joe Friday ...Trying to understand what you mean by this???? I would think the two flat tires could easily bring on a mental breakdown quite easily...
It just doesn't make any sense to me why she would take her wallet and lock the car if getting two flat tires pushed her over the edge to want to walk out into the wilderness and never be heard from again.

I can see maybe taking the sleeping bag, but why take her wallet and lock the car?

In post #397 the time line says she was spotted by a woodcutter on 9-30-23 around noon and she said she was fine.
The Sheriff's report also from post #397 says info from the investigation suggests she was possibly with her vehicle on 9-30-23. Why are they saying possibly? Is it because they're not sure if the woodcutter is telling the truth?
Was her vehicle found by the hunters on 10-5-23 in the same spot where the woodcutter saw it parked on 9-30-23?

It just doesn't make any sense to me why she would take her wallet and lock the car if getting two flat tires pushed her over the edge to want to walk out into the wilderness and never be heard from again.

I can see maybe taking the sleeping bag, but why take her wallet and lock the car?

Because she left a bunch of stuff in the car, including her camera.

She took her camping gear. To me this says that maybe she intended to camp for a bit (as she told her parents) and then figure out how to get the car fixed. If she didn't want her position to be known (as stated to the Seligman motel front desk), then she would have had to find a way of fixing the tire without using a credit card, ATM or calling AAA.

Maybe it was a decisive moment for her. If she was thinking about just walking away from her life, she started that process by walking away from her car - but she might have been able to think in terms of Plan A and Plan B, at least (even if neither plan would be considered "safe" from her family's point of view).

IMO

I think she was stopping along the way for her photography project, food for herself and Roz, etc. Taking her time. She was in no hurry. I don't think she ever intended on going to the wedding by the time she began her journey from Cali.

<modsnip - no link to statement made as fact>

Friend said Chelsea didn't discuss starting a new life with them, but sketchy ex-boyfriend's sketchy friend was telling local news Chelsea discussed running away to mexico.

Then...she must have been sleeping in her car for those first two nights. She doesn't seem to have uploaded any of the pictures she took on those days to Instagram.

Three days to get from San Diego to Phoenix is a really long time. It's too bad she led her parents to believe she was doing a long cross-country trip, if she knew on the day she left SD that she was going to take 2-3 days just to get to Phoenix and then another 1-2 days to let her parents know she wasn't coming.

IMO

Here is a map of ATT service for Arizona - it shows 4G connectivity throughout the Ash Fork area (which is consistent with my own experience - it's only in small parts of Northern AZ and in canyons, etc., that cell service cuts out.

Of course, other companies do not have quite that coverage. And we don't know her carrier. But the other carriers certainly have coverage in the area near Ash Fork.

Here is a map of ATT service for Arizona - it shows 4G connectivity throughout the Ash Fork area (which is consistent with my own experience - it's only in small parts of Northern AZ and in canyons, etc., that cell service cuts out.

Of course, other companies do not have quite that coverage. And we don't know her carrier. But the other carriers certainly have coverage in the area near Ash Foi
Is her phone on ?

Is her phone on ?

<modsnip - snarky> I'm just saying that her phone WAS working all along her route, as noted by her parents. And if she had a major carrier like ATT or Verizon, she could have summoned aid to her car. Flat tires also do not stop a car from turning on and being able to charge a phone.

It seems to me she chose not to call for help. She turned down help from concerned bystanders, too, IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe she didn't really leave home on the 24th. If she changes plans a lot maybe she really left a couple days later which could explain taking 3 days for a 5 hour trip. I wonder who the source is for the info. She could've told her parents she was leaving on the 24th but didn't. MOO

Maybe she didn't really leave home on the 24th. If she changes plans a lot maybe she really left a couple days later which could explain taking 3 days for a 5 hour trip. I wonder who the source is for the info. She could've told her parents she was leaving on the 24th but didn't. MOO
I believe her plane ticket was for the 24th but you may be right that she did not leave SD on that day. I don't think she ever intended to go to the wedding.

The Euros still really baffled me.
Can someone remind me of the context in which she tried to use Euros? What did she say, how did she react when they pointed it out?

I mean, I worked at a library and I can't tell you how many people try to hand me their credit card rather than their library card. Just on automatic. But they recognize what they did and laugh sheepishly when I point it out.

Assuming it wasn't that kind of just-not-paying-attention oopsie,

Some other options:

She was trying not to use a credit card, right? Did she not have enough cash and think maybe as a long shot the motel would take Euros, like maybe because they get tourist business, or because they just wanted to be nice to her?

Was she delusional or hallucinating that the Euros were dollars?

Was she delusional or hallucinating that she was actually somewhere in Europe?

Can someone remind me of the context in which she tried to use Euros? What did she say, how did she react when they pointed it out?

I mean, I worked at a library and I can't tell you how many people try to hand me their credit card rather than their library card. Just on automatic. But they recognize what they did and laugh sheepishly when I point it out.

Assuming it wasn't that kind of just-not-paying-attention oopsie,

Some other options:

She was trying not to use a credit card, right? Did she not have enough cash and think maybe as a long shot the motel would take Euros, like maybe because they get tourist business, or because they just wanted to be nice to her?

Was she delusional or hallucinating that the Euros were dollars?

Was she delusional or hallucinating that she was actually somewhere in Europe?
Later that day she was reported to be disoriented when she tried to book a motel in Seligman, which is near Williams.
“We were told by one individual that she seemed confused when she was in Seligman. She was trying to exchange euros as opposed to US currency,” said Driscoll.

So this MSM article reports that she was disoriented and confused, but apparently only one individual reported this. I can infer it was the front desk person at the motel, but who knows.

I will note that the cops did not find her disoriented enough to detain her but I also think that's a pretty high bar. She would have to be a clear danger to herself to be hospitalized and a clear danger to others to be arrested. So a person who simply seems confused or "off" wouldn't meet that criteria.

I think it's also worth saying that nobody on this board is trying to diagnose Chelsea with a mental illness. Sleep deprivation can create psychosis. It's overwhelmingly normal to have a stimulant or benzodiazepine script for people in their 20s and 30s. Taking extra, say to stay up for a drive, can cause psychosis. There are many possibilities. All I can say is that it's my belief that Chelsea was disoriented and not behaving rationally. I don't think her actions can be picked apart like a rational person's actions could. I don't think she had a plan. I think she was responding to what she was feeling in the moment, which wouldn't make sense to us.

So this MSM article reports that she was disoriented and confused, but apparently only one individual reported this. I can infer it was the front desk person at the motel, but who knows.

I will note that the cops did not find her disoriented enough to detain her but I also think that's a pretty high bar. She would have to be a clear danger to herself to be hospitalized and a clear danger to others to be arrested. So a person who simply seems confused or "off" wouldn't meet that criteria.

I think it's also worth saying that nobody on this board is trying to diagnose Chelsea with a mental illness. Sleep deprivation can create psychosis. It's overwhelmingly normal to have a stimulant or benzodiazepine script for people in their 20s and 30s. Taking extra, say to stay up for a drive, can cause psychosis. There are many possibilities.

All I can say is that it's my belief that Chelsea was disoriented and not behaving rationally. I don't think her actions can be picked apart like a rational person's actions could. I don't think she had a plan. I think she was responding to what she was feeling in the moment, which wouldn't make sense to us.
Great post.
“ All I can say… etc” imo totally sums up my thoughts. “Responding to what she felt in the moment, which would not make sense to us”. There is no way to apply logic in a linear fashion to this disappearance.
Whatever disorientation that seemingly existed with her was not rational. Thanks for putting this into words so perfectly.
JMO

I think they know her locations at certain points because of her phone, not just sightings. They can triangulate it.

It is strange, though. Looks like there might be no sightings of her on the 29th, either.

MOO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kcou111
Back