AZ AZ - Cynthia, 15, & Jackie Leslie, 13, Mesa, 31 July 1974

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
1. Did the Leslie sisters know anyone in the area before they moved? Maybe they met some kids when they travelled with their parents for the father's cancer treatments?

2. If the Leslie sisters didn't know anyone in the area prior to the move, how did they become so popular so quickly to be invited to a party? This could have been one of those wild parties where everyone gets invited. That can be BAD NEWS.

3. Were they trying to keep a sense of normalcy in their lives by going to the party? Dad was dying, surely they were old enough to know he was dying.

4. Did the girls revert to hanging out with a "bad crowd" to forget their father's impending death?

I hate to think it, but they probably met some very bad guys at the party and were murdered.

Great thoughts Annegrette!
Someone HAD to have seen something at that party! I am also wondering if drugs were involved, or if the girls, being new and naive to the area, witnessed something they should not have that night. Or maybe they could have done something to fit in that reacted very badly, such as a drug over dose. Of course, the chances of both girls having this happen is not too likely. It's more likely something was done to one of the girls, and the other one was killed to be silenced.

I saw that news clip where the mom talks. Such a sweet, sweet woman. I hope she finds out what happened to her girls.

Could this case be related to the disappearance of the Leslie Sisters? He was their same age, from the same city and went missing in the same year.

---------------------------------------------
Robert Raymond Parks, 13, Missing since 11 April 1974 from Mesa, AZ

Robert Raymond Parks
Missing since April 11, 1974 from Mesa, Maricopa Co, Arizona
Classification: Endangered Missing

Vital Statistics

Date of Birth: February 20, 1961
Age at Time of Disappearance: 13 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'6"; 120 lbs.
Distinguishing Characteristics: White male. Brown hair; blue eyes.
Clothing: Bell bottom pants with blue and purple cuffs.
AKA: Robbie
Dentals: Not Available.
DNA: Available

Circumstances of Disappearance

Robert Parks was last seen as he left his home in Mesa, in April of 1974, and failed to return. He left behind his belongings and his wallet. He has never been located. Robert attended the 7th grade at Powell Jr. High School.
Foul play is suspected.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:

Mesa Police Department
Detective John Sharkey
480-644-2211

Email: homicide@Mesaaz.gov

Agency Case Number: 1974-010058

NCIC Number: M996949476

NCMEC Number: NCMC1154357

Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Source Information:

azfamily.com
NCMEC
NamUs MP #4665
The Doe Network: Case File 3921DMAZ

LINK:

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/3921dmaz.html

I am not sure-has it been proven that he knew the girls in any way?

Richard,

My thoughts exactly. I have a strong suspicion that the Parks case is somehow related to the Leslie sisters case. However, perhaps not in the way you think. What are the odds that no less than 3 teenagers can disappear without a trace in the same city and within only a few months of each other?

I am sure that more than 3 teenagers have disappeared from Mesa, AZ in 1974 that we do not yet know of. Has anyone ever given any thought to cult and/or a sex and prostitution ring? Usually, when there is a concentration of cases, same city, short time span, such cult/sex ring activity is a likely possibility. I know this theory is way out there and perhaps too horrible to consider but it is still a possibility.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Could this case be related to the disappearance of the Leslie Sisters? He was their same age, from the same city and went missing in the same year.

---------------------------------------------
Robert Raymond Parks, 13, Missing since 11 April 1974 from Mesa, AZ

Robert Raymond Parks
Missing since April 11, 1974 from Mesa, Maricopa Co, Arizona
Classification: Endangered Missing

Vital Statistics

Date of Birth: February 20, 1961
Age at Time of Disappearance: 13 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'6"; 120 lbs.
Distinguishing Characteristics: White male. Brown hair; blue eyes.
Clothing: Bell bottom pants with blue and purple cuffs.
AKA: Robbie
Dentals: Not Available.
DNA: Available

Circumstances of Disappearance

Robert Parks was last seen as he left his home in Mesa, in April of 1974, and failed to return. He left behind his belongings and his wallet. He has never been located. Robert attended the 7th grade at Powell Jr. High School.
Foul play is suspected.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:

Mesa Police Department
Detective John Sharkey
480-644-2211

Email: homicide@Mesaaz.gov

Agency Case Number: 1974-010058

NCIC Number: M996949476

NCMEC Number: NCMC1154357

Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Source Information:

azfamily.com
NCMEC
NamUs MP #4665
The Doe Network: Case File 3921DMAZ

LINK:

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/3921dmaz.html

How far from where the Leslie sisters lived, disappeared from did Robert go missing?

I found a mugshot for a Jackie Lynn Leslie in Moore County, NC in 2013. The vitals are close and she appears to have a mole on her right cheekbone. But it's hard to say if it's her.

Powell Jr high is located in west Mesa near Main/Dobson. The Leslie sisters were way over in east Mesa at Power and Baseline.

This is why we need to contact Mesa az cold case unit and pay for copy of police records.

wow this is really interesting Robert Evans was known to have lived in RV or Trailer parks. He has been known to kill both women and children. Maybe he should be looked into in this case.

Recently in my state, a dead baby was found underneath a mobile home/trailer. Checking further, police found two more babies behind the trailer, dead several years apart. This is in a trailer park and the neighbors have no idea what to make of it. The place has been rented out to several people over the years. This got me to thinking; has the trailer park where the Leslie sisters were last seen been closely looked at? I mean REALLY looked at?

Bumping case up.

I wonder if a list of party attendees was made, and if any of those people have been in trouble with legal authorities in a manner which might make their 1974 statements about these girls appear suspect today.

Good point!

The people who attended that party should have been rounded up and water boarded until the truth was told. My confidence and trust in society as we know it is sorely tested by cases like this. I'd say many people at the party (possibly all of them) know exactly what happened. All that's needed is for one link in the chain to break, one person to have their guilt get the better of them and I don't think I'd lose much sleep if I though someones constitutional rights had been violated in order to break that link.

I agree 100%. Someone at the party, or multiple people, murdered the girls, and the others helped cover it up.

"Years after the girls disappeared, a trucker outside Flagstaff told her he saw the girls working at a diner in El Dorado, Kansas.

Again Erma made the long, hopeful drive and again she didn’t find any trace of her daughters."

From the article, interesting because Jackie has been proposed as EDJD several times!

Very reminiscent of my sister's disappearance along with her friend in Marathon, Fla! They disappeared in either 8/74 or 9/74, the date is debatable. My sister was named "Cynthis" too! Wow! My heart goes out to this family! My sister and Teri's thread is on here too. Cynthis Gooding and Teresa Alfonso. I pray for answers like I know this family does.

Bumping case up.

I wonder if a list of party attendees was made, and if any of those people have been in trouble with legal authorities in a manner which might make their 1974 statements about these girls appear suspect today.

My name is Leslie, I am the now 46 year old niece of Cyndi and Jackie Leslie. I've worked with my grandmother over the last
This is a case which is somewhat rare in that two sisters were apparently abducted at the same time. In some ways it is similar to the disappearance of the Fort Worth, TX three who went missing five months later (Dec 74), and with the disappearance of the Lyon Sisters from Wheaton, MD three months after that (Mar 75). There are also other double abductions from that time frame which may or may not be connected.

Was this a crime of opportunity by someone passing through, or was it a crime perpetrated by someone who knew the girls? Does anyone have any more information on the case?

Good question, Richard. I am the Leslie sister's niece and traveled with my Grandmother (their Mom) to the NCMEC to update the age progression photos a few years ago. After 40 plus years of stories I finally asked Grandma on that trip..."What really happened, all the stories you guys tell are different all the time". She paused for a moment, looked up at me and said "I don't know...I just don't know, it looks like we may never know".

In the silence that followed her answer, I realized my frustration for finding the truth was nothing compared to her 40 years of her trying so hard to figure out what could have happened to the girls. Was it this, was it that, and more importantly why does it feel like no one but us cares about the answers.

She shared with me that there had been a neighborhood family of interest at the time, I believe that their son is the boy people are talking about, not exactly sure about that (gonna ask grandma next time we talk). The mother of the family they were investigating actually confronted my Grandmother at one point telling her she "better call off your dogs", referring to the police asking them questions. Police, however, at the time did very little to interview and collect witnesses according to Grandma. That same old story of "they've run away", being 13 and 15, that's all police seemed to keep repeating.

Problem with that is they took no personal belongings except a brush that Jackie took with her everywhere. My Aunt Cyndi even left her new contact lenses behind and she hated wearing her glasses so I doubt she would leave without them if they intended to run away. Also, no extra clothing or other items were missing from the home. Also, their dad, whom they had a good relationship, was ill and going through cancer treatment at the time. I read an article from someone saying the girls might have left because he was sick and be too guilty to return which I thought was really silly but I guess you can't rule it out.

They left the house that evening under the guise of going to babysit, same place as they had before but never went to babysit. I actually have seen that note left by my Aunt Cyndi, it's chilling. Instead the girls were sneaking away to go to a party their parents would not have allowed them to attend, if they had know the truth, I'm sure. I know I did similar things at that age, even having had two missing people in our family. The phone had rung throughout the day, my aunt Cyndi had answered and then they formulated their cover story together and took off to their real destination. Later, my Grandma found out there was a party a few blocks away but as the reports show some said they were there some didn't. I love the re-interview idea of those same witnesses now....what would they say today?

Trying to find out how to get the entire case file of information which is proving to be a task in itself. The Maricopa County Sherriff's office doesn't even have their names on file anymore which is disturbing given that it's still an open case (cold for sure but still open). I am going to get more details eventually and I will share them here for the Websleuths to ponder. I already found the similar disappearance just 3 months prior of Robert Parks interesting and also the fact that re-interviewing people now might also help shed light on the truth. I don't know even know where to start but here I am and I'm not going anywhere until I know all the real details and share them. Stay tuned.

I found a mugshot for a Jackie Lynn Leslie in Moore County, NC in 2013. The vitals are close and she appears to have a mole on her right cheekbone. But it's hard to say if it's her.
Thank you for that tip. I looked at the photo but the age is off by a few years and she is 3 inches too short. My Aunt Jackie was already 5'4 at age 13. No women in our family are under 5'6 so I guess 5'01 wouldn't be possible unless she didn't grow anymore and then lost 3 inches with age, still plausible I suppose. More importantly she is 3 years older than Aunt Jackie who would now be 58.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bwitzke
Back