AZ - Isabel Mercedes Celis, 6, Tucson, 20 April 2012 - # 8

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
As someone who works in TV News, I want to quickly go OT and address why this isn't getting lots of national coverage ...

1) Thousands of people are missing
2) TV Stations exist for ratings

Due to point 1 they can't turn every missing persons case into a national story.

Due to point 2, only missing people stories which translate into high ratings become national stories. To fetch ratings you need details (especially sordid ones) or some sort of narrative to follow. There is a very significant lack of details in this story.

This is all unfortunate, but it's what I've found to be true.

This is why the parents need to be on camera. Even if people bash them on words /actions. At least Isa will still be in the news longer. The case (public) will slow down as media won't keep reporting no new nothing. JMO

I find it kind of strange that ground searches are not done.

Why the parents look guilty:

LE don't want ground searches done by the public.
LE won't say if it was the cadaver-sniffing dog that found the scent
LE won't say if parents took a polygraph and passed
LE said they wanted to watch their emotional reactions
LE won't say they have a predator in the area and for people to be on the lookout.
Parents won't talk to media (only once and that took days before they came out).
Mom went to work very early that day for her shift.
Neighbour hears two men voices around 630am

Why the parents don't look guilty:

LE says to be on the lookout in Mexico area
LE don't know who mystery man in the video
Those two men in Family home when family wasn't there.

I hate to think the parents are involed.LE is being so quite as to what they know. I understand that but really wanting to hear some good news for Isa however it is not looking good at all.

This whole case is puzzling

JMO

What 2 men in the family home?:waitasec: All your points don't lead to the parents looking guilty imo Except for LE saying publicly they want to watch the family's reaction (which is the most irresponsible statement I've heard), all the other points to LE preserving a potential crime scene.

I'd like LE to answer why they remain focused on a 3 mile radius and have NOT according to the PC yesterday done thorough searches of landfills and bodies of water. Furthermore, I'd like them to answer why the 6th. person isn't being sought publicly and also why there have been no follow ups in the media regarding the individuals who were not home when they went knocking on their doors. Where are they and have they been found and questioned?

I find it kind of strange that ground searches are not done.

I 100% agree with you. Regardless of what LE thinks of the parents and their lack of media appearances suggested by them, a little girl is still missing.

Find her.

This is an interesting early press conference I found when looking for the one from 2 pm 4/22 that Nurse mentioned.

The chief states that the mother went to bed before Isa, and Isa went to bed around 11 pm. The father found her missing in the morning.
I had not heard that mother went to bed before Isa.

There are other details he provides about LE dogs and other things.

http://www.kgun9.com/multimedia/videos/?bctid=1579064627001

I'd be interested if anyone has any links to early (first weekend) press conference recordings. The stations are not exactly consistent with getting these posted.

As someone who works in TV News, I want to quickly go OT and address why this isn't getting lots of national coverage ...

1) Thousands of people are missing
2) TV Stations exist for ratings

Due to point 1 they can't turn every missing persons case into a national story.

Due to point 2, only missing people stories which translate into high ratings become national stories. To fetch ratings you need details (especially sordid ones) or some sort of narrative to follow. There is a very significant lack of details in this story.

This is all unfortunate, but it's what I've found to be true.

I very much agree. And, to add another layer - Isabel isn't a blond, white girl. The media tends to focus on white women and girls in peril, above all other stories. In some ways, Isabel's story has parallels to Jon Benet Ramsey's. But the family is middle class, Isabel is not a beauty queen, and there isn't salacious speculation about sexual abuse. Even if the family made more media appearances, it's a crapshoot whether the national media would run with it. If they truly are a devout Hispanic family, with very few skeletons in the closet, well, that's just not as interesting for the media.

My husband and I were watching the Predators/Coyotes hockey game lastnight which was in Glendale AZ and the camera went to the coach of the Coyotes and zoomed in and there was a little girl that was identical to Isabel in a white hoodie. She never took the hoodie off and it was a close up on her face. I have dvr so I rewound it several times and paused it, did a side by side and it was completely identical so much so that I called Glendale PD. I watched the remaining 1 1/2 and never saw any PD check this out but I would almost put my life on it to say that was her. I'm trying to find a replay of the game but so far no luck.

For me there is no such thing as "too much importance" being placed on the media. This child is missing. Someone could see her, or find her clothing, or notice that their relative is acting strangely. That someone needs to remember Isabel rather than blowing it off. If LE can't solve this case, the next step is the public. Anyone who sees anything should be reporting it, but they have to be aware of the case to do so. As the case grows colder, awareness will drop. It will then be up to Isabel's parents and the media to keep her case in people's minds.

So for me, it's not so much that the parents should be speaking to Isabel or her abductor in the media. Her parents should be speaking to the public so they know what to look for.

EXACTLY! It's not about the parents, but about spreading awareness of Isabel, keeping her face in the public's eye, sharing details that may help to spot her. Very well said!

Their not speaking implies, to me, that they are either hiding something, or more worried abut their own perception which should not be the priority if Isa has been abducted.

"We are making sure we are doing everything possible to check landfills, bodies of water, and alleyways. Those are things that need to be checked."

What do you mean there was ground searches or no pond/lake searches?

Post #41 - from yesterday's PC

"We are making sure we are doing everything possible to check landfills, bodies of water, and alleyways. Those are things that need to be checked."

My husband and I were watching the Predators/Coyotes hockey game lastnight which was in Glendale AZ and the camera went to the coach of the Coyotes and zoomed in and there was a little girl that was identical to Isabel in a white hoodie. She never took the hoodie off and it was a close up on her face. I have dvr so I rewound it several times and paused it, did a side by side and it was completely identical so much so that I called Glendale PD. I watched the remaining 1 1/2 and never saw any PD check this out but I would almost put my life on it to say that was her. I'm trying to find a replay of the game but so far no luck.

that is spooky!

But they did do pond/lake searches because of a tip. Strange no land searches.

They searched the landfill where the household garbage was taken within days of the dog's hits in the house.

Also, I saw it stated that LE never used terminiology like "hit" in reference to the dogs they sent in. Well, perhaps not that exact word, but they have used synonymous words like "information" and "indications" extensively. Clearly the dogs alerted to something in the home. The chief in the last link posted by Prof lays it all out for those in doubt.

Hey all, haven't posted anything in a while but thought that I would throw my thoughts into the mix. I am not saying anything bad about the family (who knows what LE has said to them in private) but if my child was missing I would put myself on every TV show, radio, internet live feed, you name it to get the word out plus when a kidnapper sees her whole family talking about her it makes her more of a person to the kidnapper, not just some toy or pawn. And I don't know why the parents aren't searching but if it were me, rules would not apply. I would be knocking on every door, looking in every corner and under every rock. You can't come between a mother and her child. Respectifully MOO

And I don't know if this has been mentioned or not but the Mexican border closes from midnight to 6am, so if someone kidnapped her during the night they would have have to keep her somewhere till at least 4:30am. Not sure what my point is but I'm just saying.

PS. You guys are rock stars at this. I would be that if we were all rich and able to be at each of these cases we would bring all of these sweet angels home. Good job everyone!

Could you take a picture of it and post it?

It was not household garbage, though. It was dumpsters from the neighborhood.

I very much agree. And, to add another layer - Isabel isn't a blond, white girl. The media tends to focus on white women and girls in peril, above all other stories. In some ways, Isabel's story has parallels to Jon Benet Ramsey's. But the family is middle class, Isabel is not a beauty queen, and there isn't salacious speculation about sexual abuse. Even if the family made more media appearances, it's a crapshoot whether the national media would run with it. If they truly are a devout Hispanic family, with very few skeletons in the closet, well, that's just not as interesting for the media.

This is a very good point. But it's not the media's fault that pretty white\blonde girls who go missing get more attention. Its our fault. We give those stories higher ratings. If ratings went up every time there was a story on a missing 6 year old Hispanic girl, they would run these stories more often. News outlets can see ratings now as they happen, they don't have to wait until the end of the ratings period like they used to. They pay attention to what viewers watch and what they don't ... that's what dictates what they cover.

JMO

I'm checking youtube. What time into the game was it, approximately? TIA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member